[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

who doesnt lol, did you order your motherboard yet

nah, in no hurry..... I'm actually taking my time with the case, because I'm not super stoked on any current hardware. It won't be long until intel ditches the front side bus with nehalem, and that will mean a new socket/motherboard/cpu/ram, etc.... I wonder if I can hold out that long... my current hack has been so stable and worry free, that I am starting to think I should hold out for nehalem at the end of 08. In the mean time, I can get my G5 case all buffed out and ready. If I buy the hardware now, I'll just do a rush job. If I can't hold out for nehalem, I might just take my time sourcing the parts on ebay, and build on the cheap for now....

nice yeah good Idea and you get power supply solution done also im looking for the socket that the powersupply uses so I can use it on my power supply with out opening it up like a socket to socket hopefully you know what I mean, simply the socket where you connect the power cable on the power supply thanks

nice yeah good Idea and you get power supply solution done also im looking for the socket that the powersupply uses so I can use it on my power supply with out opening it up like a socket to socket hopefully you know what I mean, simply the socket where you connect the power cable on the power supply thanks

7.2 inch Power extension cord - $6USD shipped - ebay

thanks so much I have been looking for this everywhere tahnk you!!!just bought itBut How Would I Mount it?

jeez..... be creative..... that's what modding is all about. it should just slide in from the inside. you just need to secure it. i've already demonstrated that sockets can be modified, and mounted by fashioning a custom connector out of ABS and then fusing it to the plug using ABS cement. you can get abs sheets at hobbylinc, and ABS cement in the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

jeez..... be creative..... that's what modding is all about. it should just slide in from the inside. you just need to secure it. i've already demonstrated that sockets can be modified, and mounted by fashioning a custom connector out of ABS and then fusing it to the plug using ABS cement. you can get abs sheets at hobbylinc, and ABS cement in the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

Sorry, I will try what you said I want to get Ideas from an "expert" lol

Another one to the group! :blink:

It's not 100% finished so please forgive me if inside it's still a mess ;)

2320559802_1209a41ca8.jpg

2320564570_5cd6c66a2d.jpg

2319750427_65bafb83b2.jpg

2319752453_b95f1b06c0.jpg

To Do List:

- Install the DVD-ROM (first I have to buy some internal parts that didn't came with my case)

- Make the front panel to work with the Power Button, HDD blue Led (instead of the front audio out) and the USB. Right now I'm really improvising as you can see on the last picture :P

- Buy 2 90x90mm Coolers for the back of the case

- Buy a modular PSU so I can remove some unecessary cables

- Sell my 8800 GTX an get a 8800GTS G92 wich overclocks more, consume less and would allow me to use the plastic side panel

- Maybe switch to Wather cooler (I already have some parts in mind that woul fit like a glove)

Comments are welcome :P

to answer a PM about how I did the ABS frame around the rear ports, I made a lil graphic:

portframe.gif

it's a long, rectangular frame with a single center cutout for all the ports. I kept it as close to the plastic port inserts as possible.

again, I used superglue to attach the ABS to the G5 aluminum, and ABS cement from the plumbing section of my local hardware store to attach the plugs to the ABS.

Another one to the group! :hysterical:

It's not 100% finished so please forgive me if inside it's still a mess :tomato:

2320559802_1209a41ca8.jpg

2320564570_5cd6c66a2d.jpg

2319750427_65bafb83b2.jpg

2319752453_b95f1b06c0.jpg

To Do List:

- Install the DVD-ROM (first I have to buy some internal parts that didn't came with my case)

- Make the front panel to work with the Power Button, HDD blue Led (instead of the front audio out) and the USB. Right now I'm really improvising as you can see on the last picture :P

- Buy 2 90x90mm Coolers for the back of the case

- Buy a modular PSU so I can remove some unecessary cables

- Sell my 8800 GTX an get a 8800GTS G92 wich overclocks more, consume less and would allow me to use the plastic side panel

- Maybe switch to Wather cooler (I already have some parts in mind that woul fit like a glove)

Comments are welcome ;)

Can you please post pics of the back of the case??

Very Nice like the touch of the white antenna matches the whole design dude i want to see this thing, power up, its gonna be better than the real thing nice.

Very Nice like the touch of the white antenna matches the whole design dude i want to see this thing, power up, its gonna be better than the real thing nice.

thanks, but it will never be better than the real thing, only as good from the outside, but the inside won't touch a real G5 or mac pro. it'll be ghetto when it's done. hackintosh = ghetto mac, but that's the charm.... but, I've kept it looking real from the outside, so I'm happy.

oh, I guess it is better than the real thing, because unlike the 1st gen mac pro owners who can't even upgrade their graphics card, I can actually upgrade anything, at any time. :(

anyway, don't expect the inside to be a masterpiece, all the effort is going into keeping it real from the outside.

huh?

I have no idea what is wrong with your led, mine works as expected. I would say triple check your wiring.

ok Im closer to solving the LED problem the Pwr and LED share the same led im I able to split the ground to make it work on both.

ok Im closer to solving the LED problem the Pwr and LED share the same led im I able to split the ground to make it work on both.

dude, I want to help you, but your posts are just too vague, and make no sense to me... with both your previous post and this one, I am thinking WTF?

dude, I want to help you, but your posts are just too vague, and make no sense to me... with both your previous post and this one, I am thinking WTF?

Sorry I was in a hurry I am saying I found out that the Pwr and the LED share the same ground so i was wondering if i could split the ground into to pins

Can you please post pics of the back of the case??

Ok, here it is (but keep in mind that I'm not ok with that and I'll have some work to do yet):

2339921240_39e47a5094.jpg

2339920784_8be6167391.jpg

2339085649_9ff17b9568.jpg

2339085317_916e5afa6b.jpg

2339085063_84fa66ed31.jpg

2339918684_78b038c2f6.jpg

2339918446_73e900a7fa.jpg

I had to do some workarounds just to satisfy my ego and say myself that I acomplish to mount the case, but I'm buying this tray from a Silverstone TJ07 case to use in the project (will be here in about 60 days or so):

image023.jpg

The rest of the photos can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabriciogs/se...57603711634882/