[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Yes It used to work before but suddenly stopped working maybe because I put the s-ground in thw one next to the pwer button. I wish I lived with not in that way though, yours looks so close to a real mac. OMFG. I bought that card.

The s-ground (shielding) has nothing to do with the power button. The s-grounds are for shielding the usb and firewire cables. The one I labelled as firewire true ground is the actual firewire ground, and by the way, if people are not going to bother wiring the firewire, they should prolly run the fw ground to a usb or firewire ground on their mobo instead of their power button ground.

.... but I am inclined to say that I can only condone using my pinout as long as people are going wire up everything just like I have it.... it works flawlessly for me, but I have it all connected just like you see in the diagram... I never tried running the FW ground to the power button ground, so I don't know for sure if that makes a difference.

The s-ground (shielding) has nothing to do with the power button. The s-grounds are for shielding the usb and firewire cables. The one I labelled as firewire true ground is the actual firewire ground, and by the way, if people are not going to bother wiring the firewire, they should prolly run the fw ground to a usb or firewire ground on their mobo instead of their power button ground.

.... but I am inclined to say that I can only condone using my pinout as long as people are going wire up everything just like I have it.... it works flawlessly for me, but I have it all connected just like you see in the diagram... I never tried running the FW ground to the power button ground, so I don't know for sure if that makes a difference.

Yes the firewire ground works for the pwer ground. is thier a ground for the led because when I press the button thats the only time it lights up but pwer work through it

hey nervouschimp did you get your motherboard mounted in?

nope.... that's the easy part....

but this will pretty much be the arrangement:

g5tray.jpg

That's my DVI jumper there on the tray that will run from the vid card to a pci-bracket.

the PSU will install above the rats nest of the rear panel....

@nervouschimp:

Simply amazing. This was exactly what I wanted to do, the way of using the ports using some cables glued on.

I'll be checking this very often.

Also, what did you use for the expansion card slots near the back?

wow nervouschimp, i didnt know you were gonna use a tray inside too. cause i was gonna ask how you planned to keep the PCI/e cards in place.

simply amazing. keep up the work. also. ide suggest making like a stainless steel shroud like aqua mac did. just to keep everything covered up.

I used FW ground on USB and it worked the same as grounding it from Power ground.

-Stell

are you connected to the msgled? or the power led + ?

I am connected to the msgled and in the manual where it shows the front panel switch diagram it only has msgled thank you sry about the delay

I am actually dreading the next step in my mod. I got an Antec 850W PSU for half the original price, but it's not modular, and it has like a gazillion cables, and they are really long. So, I am going to very carefully de-solder any unnecessary cables from the PSU circuit board. This has to be done, because my design is already reliant upon so many jumper cables to the back panel, and I don't want to have a total rats nest going on. I will post photos of the process as soon as I build up enough courage to get started.

I am actually dreading the next step in my mod. I got an Antec 850W PSU for half the original price, but it's not modular, and it has like a gazillion cables, and they are really long. So, I am going to very carefully de-solder any unnecessary cables from the PSU circuit board. This has to be done, because my design is already reliant upon so many jumper cables to the back panel, and I don't want to have a total rats nest going on. I will post photos of the process as soon as I build up enough courage to get started.

why not just make a psu bay cover? keep all the un-needed wires under there

can you post a scan/pic of the whole front panel section of your mobo manual? I want to see the header diagram.
Here you go n554566894_626009_1886.jpgWell Here is again by tribesman the other link on this thread is down so here is this one if any one still needs it.G5Eject.rar

Yep Im gonna screw around with it later see what happens do you have any pics of your completed and running how much did you get your pwr supply for I got my

Ultra X2 Power Supply which modular design for $80 dollars which is a modular design.

I just got my G5 mod working.. Now its like 90 percent ready.. So much to do but first I need to buy usb soundcard.. Didnt do anything to backpanel.. Its just too beautiful to destroy! And yes I know too much hazzle with the wires.. :)

Here are few pics:

Inside:

post-61633-1204074687_thumb.jpg

Back:

post-61633-1204074742_thumb.jpg

Front (everything is working, thanks to nervouschimp!!):

post-61633-1204074757_thumb.jpg

Pictures after soldering front connections.. Hopely I never have to do that again.. (;

post-61633-1204075068_thumb.jpg

post-61633-1204074722_thumb.jpg

• Like 1