[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

OK Ok, I don't want to seem like a noob, but hey, everybody has gotta start somewhere.

I'm working on G5 mod, and I'd like to use the front panel instead of my currant solution (front panel of a sff pc for power and reset)

Now, I've bought the cables that Nervouschimp recommended.

Is there a way that I can insert these cables into the actual Apple cable? Or do I have to solder? I'm not scared to solder, I've just never done it, so I would rather not.

OK Ok, I don't want to seem like a noob, but hey, everybody has gotta start somewhere.

I'm working on G5 mod, and I'd like to use the front panel instead of my currant solution (front panel of a sff pc for power and reset)

Is there a way that I can insert these cables into the actual Apple cable? Or do I have to solder? I'm not scared to solder, I've just never done it, so I would rather not.

I really think that there are no such kind of option.. So just start soldering.. :censored2:

I just wonder if I could somehow get the frontpanels led blinking when system is in sleep mode.. Does somebody know how to do that?

the pins from both cables can be mated together with a little bit of effort, as the frontx cables have larger pins, just pry them open a little, jam the apple pins in there, drip some solder in there, and shrink wrap it.

No need to cut, or strip these cables, just use an xacto knife to pry the pins from both connectors. It is very easy, and nice and neat.

You will be left with a front panel pig-tail with an apple front board connector at one end that breaks out into a usb bundle, a firewire bundle, and 6 or so individual wires for power and audio.

I'll take a picture of mine when I get home.

Quick help please.

Ok, I'm prying open the Frontx cables (starting with the FW)

Do just the pins need to touch or does the actual wire from each cable that is just slightly poking out of the wire casing need to touch? Or is that what the solder is for? Thank

the pins from both cables can be mated together with a little bit of effort, as the frontx cables have larger pins, just pry them open a little, jam the apple pins in there, drip some solder in there, and shrink wrap it.No need to cut, or strip these cables, just use an xacto knife to pry the pins from both connectors. It is very easy, and nice and neat.You will be left with a front panel pig-tail with an apple front board connector at one end that breaks out into a usb bundle, a firewire bundle, and 6 or so individual wires for power and audio.I'll take a picture of mine when I get home.
I'm trying to do it Chimps way. My question is, have far do I need to "jam" the apple pins into the frontx pins?Do the pins actually have something to do with the electrical current moving through the wire, or are they just place holders? Do the actual wires need to touch each other? Can I just take the apple pin off? then jam it into the frontx pins and solder/shrink wrap? There's no way I'm touching my motherboard pins with solder.Again, noob question. When the diagram says top down view of the header, does that mean I have to use a certain side? aren't both sides the same?

Thank you both for your fast replies, but my question still isn't being answered.

Can I just touch the pins from the frontx and the apple together? Or do I have to take off the apple pin and have the apple wire touch the frontx wire.

If you can answer this one question for me, I'll be fine. Thank you.

Sorry I'm a noob!

OK, so I wanted to test the wires before I soldered. So, this is what I did.

I opened up the pin of the Frontx wire. I inserted the apple pin into the Frontx pin. I covered it with thermal tubing.

My power works, my LED works, my firewire works. Haven't test usb, didn't hook up sound.

Now that I know it works, I'll solder in the morning.

Thanks for all your help. Again, sorry I wanted such a precise answer, I didn't want to screw up my new hardware.

Once my real PSU and new hard drives come in, I'll post some pictures of my mod.

Thanks.

I opened up the pin of the Frontx wire. I inserted the apple pin into the Frontx pin. I covered it with thermal tubing.

My power works, my LED works, my firewire works. Haven't test usb, didn't hook up sound.

Thanks for all your help. Again, sorry I wanted such a precise answer, I didn't want to screw up my new hardware.

Once my real PSU and new hard drives come in, I'll post some pictures of my mod.

Thanks.

yes you can as long as the front panel cable is long enough to reach your board, you can take each individual wire out. too hopefully this has answered your ?

Thanks.

Sorry I wasn't around to answer your questions, but yeah, you got it. The pins are conductors, and mating the pins is all that is needed. I'm glad it's working! Was this with my pin-out diagram?

So any updates.....

also dude I really need a wire to use my power supply with like a wire a the male wire on the power the supply or the power socket so I dont have to take apart my pwer supply thanks

In my design, the PSU sits right behind the CPU. I started to work on my mounting solution:

psutray.jpg

I had to bust out the dremmel and the rivet gun. I cut the tray all the way back to the first set of standoffs, and then attached a shelf for the power supply by cutting the bottom off the PSU enclosure and pop-riveting it to my ATX tray.

insidepsu.jpg

And it looks like the arrangement will work. That's just a junk board there. I haven't ordered the board that this hack will use, but I am leaning towards the IP35 Pro.

Sorry I wasn't around to answer your questions, but yeah, you got it. The pins are conductors, and mating the pins is all that is needed. I'm glad it's working! Was this with my pin-out diagram?

Yes, I used your pinout diagram. Easy to follow, and I've never done anything like this before.

I ran it all day today with no major issues. I haven't stress tested the firewire / usb cables yet, but I'm going to go ahead an solder them all up in the next few days.

Thanks.

I finished the installing the FW800 and Optical audio ports. For the optical audio, I built a little panel mount rig using 2 toslink couplers and some ABS plastic:

toslink1.jpg

toslink2.jpg

All that's left is the antennas for the bluetooth and wifi, and then I'll finally be done with the back panel. Sorry about the crappy iPhone photos this time.