[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

I'll post em once I get it more squared away. I need to get the wiring more situated.

Another for the road...

2283377512_a5a7e358df_b.jpg

Dude How Did You Get all that too work I need your HELP!!!! meaning the LED AND PWR USB thank you

Ok i got USB and LED to work but something strange when I plug the led by itself it doesnt light up but when I plug in the pwer it lights up by pressing the button but the PC doesnt power up even without the led so basically I have usb working and Led but no power from the button any ideas thanks

Ok i got USB and LED to work but something strange when I plug the led by itself it doesnt light up but when I plug in the pwer it lights up by pressing the button but the PC doesnt power up even without the led so basically I have usb working and Led but no power from the button any ideas thanks

just a reminder that the power button grounds through the firewire, and the design requires that a firewire cable be connected... without it, the machine will not power on.

i spent some time studying and testing the apple design, and i stand behind my pinout.

if you buy the frontx kit i posted earlyer, and some shrink wrap, it will be nice and neat.

see, that's why I'm just going to splice in a lian-li front panel. the plug layout is nearly identical, but wired for atx

IMO, that is much harder than just soldering a few wires.

just a reminder that the power button grounds through the firewire, and the design requires that a firewire cable be connected... without it, the machine will not power on.i spent some time studying and testing the apple design, and i stand behind my pinout.if you buy the frontx kit i posted earlyer, and some shrink wrap, it will be nice and neat.IMO, that is much harder than just soldering a few wires.
{censored} I dont think my motherboard has a firewire port damn it any other ideasIs there a way I can just use the firewire ground and use it for the power ground

{censored} I dont think my motherboard has a firewire port damn it any other ideasIs there a way I can just use the firewire ground and use it for the power ground

yes.

also, a firewire card with a front panel header will work too, many pci-firewire cards do have an internal header.

what is the board you are using? if it has rear firewire, then chances are it has an internal header.....

yes.also, a firewire card with a front panel header will work too, many pci-firewire cards do have an internal header.what is the board you are using? if it has rear firewire, then chances are it has an internal header.....
nope no rear firewire do you know any cards that have an internal header on them any is supported on a mac thank you. You are very good at this type of stuffok I have just bought a PCI firewire with a 9 pin internal header here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...l+SD-VIA-FW1E1H

nope no rear firewire do you know any cards that have an internal header on them any is supported on a mac thank you. You are very good at this type of stuff

Here is a $8.99 solution to your problem... if you are in the US... if not, any card with a via or TI chipset should be fine

it also looks like there are many cards that include a standard plug on the inside, so if you go with one of those cards, you could just wire a standard FW400 6-pin cable to the front port.

EDIT:

hehe.... you beat me to it..... yeah, get that card!

Moving on with my rear ports. I got my firewire and network installed:

g5rear2.jpg

g5inside2.jpg

I have ordered a firewire 800 jumper, toslink couplers, and I already have analog out and in audio cables, so more coming soon.

The original G5 antennas are cool, but they were never really that practical or effective, so I think I will go with 2 rp-sma bulkhead ports instead since that is the most common connector for home wifi solutions. SMA connectors are larger though, so I might have to drill out the antenna ports to accommodate the SMA jacks.

haha yeah so if i connect that and the usb it should work fine or do i just need the firewire

what are you asking?

I, personally would install the 9 dollar firewire card, because you should wire the front up correctly now as long as you are putting the work in, do it right, and get it all done up front, so you don't ever have to fuss with it again. Also, a G5 hackintosh without firewire? That doesn't seem right....

But, yeah, if you choose not to wire up the front firewire port, then just use the firewire ground for your power switch.

what are you asking?

I, personally would install the 9 dollar firewire card, because you should wire the front up correctly now as long as you are putting the work in, do it right, and get it all done up front, so you don't ever have to fuss with it again. Also, a G5 hackintosh without firewire? That doesn't seem right....

But, yeah, if you choose not to wire up the front firewire port, then just use the firewire ground for your power switch.

Agreed with the firewire ground to power switch ground. It works the same.

-Stell

SWEET I got power to work but when I press the button the led lights up for a second, and the usb is only detected for a second like for example I stick a usb stick in thier lights up for one second then turns back off do I need to connect the s ground and if I do where. Thank you.

SWEET I got power to work but when I press the button the led lights up for a second, and the usb is only detected for a second like for example I stick a usb stick in thier lights up for one second then turns back off do I need to connect the s ground and if I do where. Thank you.

Check the wiring for the USB. I suggest buying a multimeter if you don't already have one. Also, for the led, switch the mobo side connector the other way around, see if you get the led on. My problem is either the led is on all the time, even when the machine is off or it's on when the machine is off and off when the machine is on. If that makes any sense... It depends on how I have the wires switched on the mobo end.

-Stell

Wait, would a Mac Pro case work too?
sure thier is another thread for the mac pro case but I think for the G5 it is easier since more people have done it but thier is a thread to make it work, with a diagram of the front panel for that.and nervous chimp your mod is beautiful and may god bless you and the world

I just got my rear audio jacks installed, and it worked out even better than I hoped! Everything still looks stock, which is my goal:

g5audio1.jpg

This is my panel mount rig. It gets cemented up to the rear ABS using ABS weld just like the rest of the connectors.

g5audio2.jpg

And here it is in place. The ports are actually flush now that it's glued in, but its still curing so maybe I'll post a final picture later.

amantheboy08, and stellarola, both you two are running the front ports without firewire?

stell, try running the FW ground to an empty USB ground on your MOBO and see what happens

amantheboy, check your usb pinout, and yes, wire up every USB wire, including the shielding ground. your device is getting power but cannot initialize because your wiring is wrong.

All the ports I'l need is my USB on back, audio, firewire (Thats PCI) and my graphics (PCI)

So really, I can buy some USB extenders, and a audio cable, and I'm good for IO.

Hmm, in the Mac Pro case for a hackintosh, can the HD bays be used by some custom mod?

I just got my rear audio jacks installed, and it worked out even better than I hoped! Everything still looks stock, which is my goal:

g5audio1.jpg

This is my panel mount rig. It gets cemented up to the rear ABS using ABS weld just like the rest of the connectors.

g5audio2.jpg

And here it is in place. The ports are actually flush now that it's glued in, but its still curing so maybe I'll post a final picture later.

amantheboy08, and stellarola, both you two are running the front ports without firewire?

stell, try running the FW ground to an empty USB ground on your MOBO and see what happens

amantheboy, check your usb pinout, and yes, wire up every USB wire, including the shielding ground. your device is getting power but cannot initialize because your wiring is wrong.

Yes It used to work before but suddenly stopped working maybe because I put the s-ground in thw one next to the pwer button. I wish I lived with not in that way though, yours looks so close to a real mac. OMFG. I bought that card.