Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?

Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?  

611 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use OSX86 as your primary OS ?

• YES
    • NO

111 posts in this topic

Primary System.

After correcting Video Drivers to AGP all are working very good.

Printers, pen-Drives, Sound 5.1 (DVD Player), mouse, keyboard (except with the interrogation point).

All App are working fine, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash Pro, USB Modem not working on Mac because it doesnt has any Intel driver, but working in paralells.

Webcam doesnt work because it doesnt have a driver.

OSX86 are very good.

I always had PC and MAC in my house.I was using PC and my father MAC. I was a child and i wanted to play every game which i liked of course as all planet.So Windows was my solution.

In high school (3 years ago) I had bought my first MAC. It was G4 867Mhz with Cinema 17" TFT.

Three months ago I have moved that MAC to my company.

I am using Hackintosh right now and i dont wanna see XP in my house again. :gun:

Real MAC is coming in september and it would be iMAC 24".

Yes, OSX86 is my primary OS, from 10.4.1. The best OS for a PC (runs faster than Windows XP, double faster than Vista, drivers for peripherics that no way to find in Vista - e.g. Brother Laserjet 1260e printer (usb-parallel adapter), webcam Deluxe i don't remember now what, but it desn't matter - runs well in OSX with Macam, doesn't run in Vista). This is the most stable OS I had (BeOS is the second). I don't remember OSX to crash, except when I did some bad things on it. I keep Windows for CorelDraw only (many printing shops here have only Post Script Level 1 devices).

I've been using OSX86 as my only OS for the last few months. It's very stable, and as XanthraX said, it's actually faster than Windows. I booted into Windows yesterday for the first time since getting OS X working, and it was horrible. I couldn't do two things at once, let alone the 3-5 things I'm used to doing at once in OS X.

(BeOS is the second).

I used to run BeOS back in high school. God I loved that OS.

Anyhow, been using OS X86 as my primary since I got my first compatible machine, 10.4.3. Loved every second of it. Saved so much money versus buying an actual mac pro.

I would, and in fact probably should use OSX as my primary since I bought a MBP and a MacPro within the past year, but since my career is supporting Windows based networks and databases, I'm usually in Windows. Now when I get home, I usually boot up the MBP, and then end up booting up Windows in parallels or bootcamp to be cozy in the safety of my "sandbox" so that if it crashes, I just copy the backup from my NAS and I'm back up again(I like to tinker and surf "dangerously"on occasion).

I occasionally surf in OSX(opera 99%, occasionally camino/rarely safari) and chat on Adium, but thats about it. I like the OSX stability/safety net from virus/malware, but to be honest, Windows never crashes on me since XPSP2, and it's just more intuitive in my opinion. I hope to someday just cut loose and stay in OSX , but I don't see that for a while. I'm the classic case of buying not just one, but TWO "Pro" versions of mac's to mostly run windows on (and have a back door for OSX/Linux for when I get tired of dealing with MS product activation/DRM)....LOL.

My money, my choice...... :(

upon first getting my hack to work i was obsessed with it - have used as primary OS for 8 months without booting into XP at all abondoning all games and software that i am so familar with - then about 2 weeks ago i got fed up with the slowness and clunkyness of the poker software that of fulltilt so i started running windows version thru parallels - after that i started using proggys that are unreplacable to me as ive used them so long (dvd decrypter, EAC/exact audio copy, pahud, and some games that i use play all the damn time and dont run under parallels well w2, w;a) and for good burning and functionality i have to native boot to windows drive so long story short i dont see myself in os x again for a while -- sad but true.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not use OS X regularly. Everytime I try it, I mainly just want to cry. There are lot of little things I hate, for example OS X terminal tools sux compared to GNU tools. So first thing is to get working terminal (with tabs!) and get GNU-tools. Then next things is to install Firefox. And then get nice Rss-reader, but what the hell, those what seem to be ok cost something like 20 dollars.. Like almost half of OS X programs. So, I keep searching for GNU programs for this and that.

So, after few hours I realize that I am using exactly same programs as with my Ubuntu.. that I just have stolen OS when I can one for free. Then I forget OSX for few months... and try it again with same experiences :)

It's funny because I'm currently using OS X as my main OS because I screwed up my partition table (bye bye music :P )

Anyways, if I were to re-install Windows; it would be XP.

I used Vista regularly, but it's just bloat. XP is for games, and OS X is for my daily browsing/eye candy :D

I currently have both installed onto my computer, I used to use windows for gaming and 3d modeling. but I don't play games as much as I used to, but still like the 3d modeling. But Im going to be trying to get Maya working on my osx86 box, and if all goes well I will be reclaiming my disk space and working solely on osx86.

My name is Scott and I use a hackintosh.

commercial comming soon

I do use OSX86 as my primary OS. I also have XP64 (yes, x64. thats why I don't go there often) and will soon have some Linux distribution, most likely Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio.

I use a bootable command-line GRUB floppy as my boot loader, because I am too lazy to install something to my HDD :thumbsup_anim:

If/When I install Ubuntu it will come with GRUB.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sure do, my hack is my primary computer, although I'd really like a macbook pro just so I wouldn't have to use a horrific dell at work. Now that VMware fusion supports dx 8.1 I can run autocad at home and with hamachi I have full access to my office shares. My hack is definately my primary computer, for games I have an xbox.And really, I spend way more time playing with the hack and pushing it to see what it can do, thats more fun than gaming :)

there is only 2 things I can't do.I can't get my webcam to workI can't write or do anything with my SATA drivesOther than that? I use it as my main OS, because I only have that installed.
What motherboard? My 3 sata hd's are working great on my mobo, and as for the camera I have a usb logitech quickcam express which works flawless through maccam (its a pretty daff camera tho)

although you will see me running OS X lots of times, i prefer linux. i have 64bit installed on this rig, and wifi working, so i can be upstairs rocking a 17" CRT across my room and get work done sitting on my bed using a wireless mouse/keyboard.

for me, if i'm playing around i'll use OS X, but for the majority of my actual work, i'll pick Ubuntu or XP, because i use Adobe Audition [proudly so] in XP and GIMP in Ubuntu. although i have gimp installed in OS X, i see faster rendering and more stability from Ubuntu x64 than OSx86 or even Windows.

After the last install i made (Jas 10,4,9) it has becomed on my main OS .Windows just fro games , Adobe Audition Fruity Loops and Reason .

Z

I did, for about one year, but now (SUSE) Linux is my main OS again.

Linux: Unmaneagable. (I have yet to see a linux package manager I can stand.)

Obviously I have an opposite opinion. I find Linux+KDE a winning combo. Flexible and easy to configure, once you know what you are doing. Plenty of features as well.

As to package managers, I find apt or smart the best package managers of any OS. In Windows or OS X I must download (often buy or pirate) and separately install each single application. In Linux start synaptic, for instance, mark for install everything you want, apply, and that is all.

I don't use it as a primary OS because:

-My graphic's card isn't supported by osx and it doesn't support quartz extreme; which I need for ilife and iwork and frontrow...

-Also I wan't to play games but that doesn't work with OS X...

I realy want to use OS X as a primary OS but till those things aren't supported I stick to windows

I have both Windows Vista and MAC OS X 10.4.8 JaS installed on my HP dv1000, and i have to say, OS X seems much more at home on my hardware than Windows does!! Its much faster (both booting and OS itself) - there's no reason i'd not use it as my primary OS!

• 2 weeks later...