The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

Hello there, I installed kalyway's leopard dvd but i have the usual problem with the dual core, if i use it it's slow and {censored}, if i set cpus=1 then it works but i have only one cpu. I installed typing vanilla at boot and sleep doesn't work, what sould i do? Should i try installing it without vanilla, but of course installing the kernel from the options of the dvd?

help...

So I reinstalled zith the natit driver and the grphics is great, dvd playback with no problems. I used the cpus=1 trick in the Boot.plist or whatever it is. Then the system profiler tells me that I have a Core Duo instead of Solo, but with 0 processors and 1 cores. It runs about the same if not faster than with having the second core disabled. I can get the computer to sleep, but it does not shut down. It just quits the system, but does not turn off. Any ideas?

So here are my problems:

ACPI->no battery icon, it dies quickly, does not turn off

WIFI-> but I have the intel one, so I am going to buy the dell1490

Bluetooth-> cant find any devices even though its on

Card Reader-> does not work, but I dont care

Otherwise it runs great, got iLife08 on it installed, with no problems, it even updated itself. Hope this helps. I instlled vanilla kernel, natit drivers and EFI v8 MBR. I got the sound to work with the AppleHDAPatcher and the Sigmatel kext and it works great, even the volume buttons work.

Hi everybody,

Here is some usefull tips for installation of leopard kalyway efi v8 on the m1210.

I Have now a leopard with vanilla kernel working WITH BOTH CORES, SLEEP AND POWERMANAGEMENT.

First, here is the spec of my m1210, some information on the installation tips that i'm going to give may change

if your hardware differs :

Intel core 2 duo T7200 with 2Go ram @ 667Mhz

wifi broadcom 802.11n

nvidia 7400 Go.

intel HD audio with sigmatel 9221

I have mbr partioning since i have a gentoo linux in dual boot with lilo bootloader.

On the kalyway 10.5.1 efi v8 DVD installation , I have selected the following informations :

- vanilla kernel ( kernel + ACPI FIX)

- nvidia driver NVInject Laptop

- Azalia out

- efi mbr

After installation, we need to boot "safely" with cpus=1 and fsb=166 ( for the choopy audio, ONLY on 667Mhz MB ),

you can add it to your com.apple.boot.plist.

AFTER INSTALL:

what we have:

-QE working

- wifi/ethernet working

- sound (only on jack output)

- bluetooth working

- sleep working

what we DON'T have:

- Powermanagement.

- Dual core.

- audio from speakers.

when booted, you download the following list of files :

- AppleHDAPatcher ( from this topic ).

- sigmatel9221.txt ( from this topic ).

- Powermanagement.bundle (from this attachment on this message, posted by others before on this topic)

- AppleACPIPlatform.kext ( comes from another topic on this forum, it's iAktos ACPI kext, on the attachement)

when download finished. firstly use AppleHDAPatcher with the sigmatel9221.txt explained before on the topic.

reboot, you will have sound from speakers ^^.

Then, AS ROOT (sudo su):

replace PowerManagement.bundle of your system from the one posted on this topic.

rm -R /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle

cp -R PowerManagement.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle

replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext of your system from the one in the attachement.

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

cp -R AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

delete your /System/Library/Extensions.mkext.

repair permissions of your disk, and reboot.

you will have Powermanagement with the icon battery status ^^.

AFTER MODIFICATIONS:

what we have:

-QE working

- wifi/ethernet working

- bluetooth working

- sleep working

- Powermanagement.

- audio from speakers/jack.

what we DON'T have:

- Dual core.

So, finally, the dual core ^^. I think that all that have tried on the m1210 have seen that, when you boot without cpus=1, 2 things

can happen randomly, you can get a "unknown sigfpe code 1" at boot (in this case your computer reboots) or you can get your system to boot, but unusable because of extreme lag, IN THAT CASE : PUT YOUR COMPUTER TO SLEEP after booting, then wake

him up, and the system will then work smoothly WITH BOTH CORES ACTIVE ^^

FINALY:

what we have:

-QE working

- wifi/ethernet working

- bluetooth working

- sleep working

- Powermanagement.

- audio from speakers/jack.

- Dual Core working.

Here is a screenshot:

picture3up7.th.jpg

m1210_leopard.tar.gz

First, thanks ulysee31_revient for the dual core tip, works fine here.

A tip for people using kalyway leopard and having the battery indicator issue dispite following the guides here. You also need to follow the guide at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425. See the "battery meter does not show" section.

Now I have 2 issues:

1. The wired network seems to shut off all by itself after a few hours usage. It still says it's connected but no longer sends anything. Have to reboot the system to get it working again. Anybody else experiencing this?

2. I have the Nvidia geforce 7400 and can't seem to get the external vga working at all. Has anybody had any success?

Thanks.

Hi All,

Got the external display working properly for geforce 7400 based m1210 laptops. Here is the nvcap required.

04010101 00000d00 0e000000 00000000 00000000

Attached is the Info.plist file based on NVinjectGo 0.2.0. Unzip it and put it in /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext/Contents/. Then fix permissions and clear cache as described previously.

This didn't take me that long actually, after reading up it was the fifth or sixth nvcap I tried.

There MAY be sleep issues with this however. I think I have fixed it with this NVCAP but not 100% sure. Can others try and report back.

Info.plist.zip

First, thanks ulysee31_revient for the dual core tip, works fine here.

A tip for people using kalyway leopard and having the battery indicator issue dispite following the guides here. You also need to follow the guide at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425. See the "battery meter does not show" section.

Now I have 2 issues:

1. The wired network seems to shut off all by itself after a few hours usage. It still says it's connected but no longer sends anything. Have to reboot the system to get it working again. Anybody else experiencing this?

2. I have the Nvidia geforce 7400 and can't seem to get the external vga working at all. Has anybody had any success?

Thanks.

for the wired network problem, i have same problem. but i thought that it may be the kext of the network card that hangs waking from sleep, and i mainly use the wireless card so it doesnt happened often. i have see also that no special error message on dmesg when it happens, the card seems to be up but can't get any packets in/out from the interface :s.

Hi All,

Got the external display working properly for geforce 7400 based m1210 laptops. Here is the nvcap required.

04010101 00000d00 0e000000 00000000 00000000

Attached is the Info.plist file based on NVinjectGo 0.2.0. Unzip it and put it in /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext/Contents/. Then fix permissions and clear cache as described previously.

This didn't take me that long actually, after reading up it was the fifth or sixth nvcap I tried.

There MAY be sleep issues with this however. I think I have fixed it with this NVCAP but not 100% sure. Can others try and report back.

I replaced the plist like you described and repaired permissions. When i reboot i get an error saying the extension can't be loaded or something like that. The display is strected like before i installed nvinject. How do I clear cache like you described? Is that my problem?

thanks a ton 'theraven' for figuring out the external vga thing. I've been needing that forever. General question for everyone here using the M1210: is anybody running their machine with 4gb of RAM. I see newegg has a special right now for a 4gb dual channel kit for like $80, and I'm thinking about upgrading my system, but I have been reading that something in the m1210 bios limits it to 3.25gb of RAM, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spring for the 4gb kit as opposed to a 2gb dual channel kit for like $30.

okay thanks theraven worked perfectly. One thing I did notice tho not sure if its showing incorrectly or not but when you go into about my mac and look under the video card it only shows 64VRAM is this correct?

Not sure, the chip only physically has 64MB. If this means that the shared memory is not working I'm not sure. Did it use to have a different figure?

for the wired network problem, i have same problem. but i thought that it may be the kext of the network card that hangs waking from sleep, and i mainly use the wireless card so it doesnt happened often. i have see also that no special error message on dmesg when it happens, the card seems to be up but can't get any packets in/out from the interface :s.

Unfortunately I have the 3945 so wireless doesn't work. I'm just gonna get a replacement card so this isn't a big deal for me.

I replaced the plist like you described and repaired permissions. When i reboot i get an error saying the extension can't be loaded or something like that. The display is strected like before i installed nvinject. How do I clear cache like you described? Is that my problem?

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/Cache

It will be your problem if you haven't done it.

thanks a ton 'theraven' for figuring out the external vga thing. I've been needing that forever. General question for everyone here using the M1210: is anybody running their machine with 4gb of RAM. I see newegg has a special right now for a 4gb dual channel kit for like $80, and I'm thinking about upgrading my system, but I have been reading that something in the m1210 bios limits it to 3.25gb of RAM, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spring for the 4gb kit as opposed to a 2gb dual channel kit for like $30.

I have 4GB and you're right, it only shows about 3.3GB.

I have been able to get the battery icon to work properly it seems with the help of the two guides above. Thanks a lot! However, that left me with some problems...When I try to put my computer in sleeps, it does everything its supposed to, but then wakes right up. It is in sleep for like one second and then wakes up. I do not press anything, it just does. Any ideas? Also, I cannot shutdown my computer with the shutdown option. Either it shuts down the system, but the hardware is still running, or it gives me the grey screen saying that I have to turn off/restart my computer now. I dont know what its supposed to mean.

But more importantly, it seems that most of you are using the nvinject drivers and being able to get external VGA to work which I definitely need. I am completely new to this, but how do I uninstall the current natit driver I have and install the nvinject? And where can I get it?

And last thing, how do you know if you are running on one or two cores? Stupid question, I know:-).

Thanks a lot to everybody here, I love the leopard system and how it works! It just needs few more tweaks:-)

Hi

I install Kalyway 10.5.1 everything was ok

The shutdown was ok right after installation.

After tahat I used appleHDApatcher v1.20 to patch audio

Now I can not shutdown. If I do display was Black but the Computer is still ON

and I see That in System Profiler :

Moddel Name : MAC

Model Identffier : MAC PRO

Peocessor Name : Intel Core 2 Duo

Number of Processor : 0 ???????????????? befor patch was 1

L2 Cach : 4MB

Memory : 2GB

Bus Speed : 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version : Hack.in,Osh

Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Restart is OK

Sleep not work

Grafik is OK

Wlan not work

Webcam not work

PowerManagement not work

Please Help me

It is very Importenet to me "WHY SHUTDOWN NOT WORK AFTER PACHER"

I have the same problems as user tala, the shutdown and sleep worked before applying the sigmatel kext though applehdapatcher 1.20. Anybody has the same problem? Or an advice for a solution?

Any advices of uninstalling natit and installing nvinject?

rdrnatn24: I have tried iAtkos install as well, but it didnt work for me almost at all, I think that the Kalyway distro is much better.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/Cache

It will be your problem if you haven't done it.

I reinstalled leopard using the kalyway package with the same add-ons as above. Then i replaced the info.plist. I repaired permissions. Then i went into terminal and typed sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/Cache. I restarted but still got the same error message. "It says system extension cannot be used." Any ideas?

I have tried the three bundles in this thread and still cant get the battery icon to show... any clues?

This one worked for me:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425

I was also able to get nvinject 0.2.0 to work with the installer downloaded from their website. I also got th dual display to work, which is amazing, it seems to work great, though I havent had time to test it out completely.

Rdrnatn24:

try to reboot with parameters -x -s -f maybe it will tell you more about the problem, it worked for me. it told me what installation was broken and then it was easy to fix it.

So now I have almost everything working. Even seems that sleep started working. But, the shutdown does not work, any help with that? Also, any advices on which wifi card I should by? I was thinking about the dell 1490, is there anything better? Also, are there any guides of how to replace the wifi? I am little bit afraid of that. Thanks to all for all your help!

Long time reader... ok not really.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help on this forum.

I have a m1210 4gb 667 ram

intel 3945abg #@%^&(*#$

7500 (or is it 7400) nvidia

2 gz duo

Thanks to seaDonkey and ulysses oh and kalyway (and others).

I have leopard running pretty well on my box.

I just have a couple of questions (ok several)

First:

do I need to use the fsb=166 in my kernel flags (I noticed that ulysses didn't write that he did this??

Second:

When I try to boot dual core with cpus=2 it reboots constantly (probably the sig error ulysses was talking about)

Is there anything I can do for this, so that both cores are working?

I want to try the sleep thing... but I can't boot....

Third:

I have seen somewhere else an answer to this, but after searching for it for a long time ... I couldn't find it again.

I plug the laptop into my wired network.

Everything works for like 4 minutes maybe less.... then it stops.

I try the diagnostics and it sees all the way to isp... but nothing after that.

Does anyone know what this is?

Fourth:

3945@%&

I have seen the iwi drivers on google code (by Ja...) but it seems that anyone who uses them ends up making

their machine unbootable.

Has ANYONE gotten these drivers to work for the 3945 card?

Peace,

Emmanuel

I did what ulysses said but now the fan is always going even if the pc is doing nothing, also the battery indicator shows always the same amount of charge, but i did it right and the installation is fresh... what's the problem?

Still loosing control of Trackpad and usb mouse with any Natit/Titan related .kext. Any new suggestions will be welcome.

Tried the followings:

rm -r the ApplePS2Mouse, USB, HID etc seemingly related .kext without much success.

Edit the Info.plist..of Trackpad ie removing none synaptic element.

Using only single core.

Running out of ideas.....

Still loosing control of Trackpad and usb mouse with any Natit/Titan related .kext. Any new suggestions will be welcome.

Tried the followings:

rm -r the ApplePS2Mouse, USB, HID etc seemingly related .kext without much success.

Edit the Info.plist..of Trackpad ie removing none synaptic element.

Using only single core.

Running out of ideas.....

use nvinject drivers. they work at least as good if not better for me than natit. and they have a nice installator as well. just google for nvinject and you will find it. get the 2.0 nvinject go drivers. hope this helps

hey everyone... i've done countless hours of research on how to install osx on my dell xps m1210 and i have everything working including sound card sig 9220 video card working and i just installed a dell 1390 wireless card rev C (dont know the rest of info) but once i rebooted the computer and i turned the airport on, the wireless light turned on and it picked up my protected network and no im able to do everything with my hackintosh.... thanks everyone and this dude of this topic with all the info...you rock dude...

now i have a problem... with i start my laptop with out the dvd in my drive it gives me an error something like be000 error i was wondering how i can make it so that i can start the computer and not have the dvd in the drive... i have the 10.5.1 kay osx with the lastest updates from apple and everything works perfectly... but just that one probelm if someone can help me that would be great...oh and there is a way to fix it with out reinstalling the osx and losing all my files that would be even better...thanks...

I am going to buy the dell wireless card, but which one should I buy? The 1490 or the 1390? Or some other one? I would like to order it very soon, so help would be appreciated. Also, is the instalation easy? Thanks a lot for the help!