The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

We'll after a couple of hours of setting up my system the way I like it. I'm glad to anounce that Leopard is successfully installed on my M1210.

Things that did not work on Tiger still don't work on Leopard.

Sleep

Dual Core

Everything else is working just fine. I had to copy the AppleHDA kext from my previous install to have Audio work since the patchers outthere do not seem to work for Leopard. I also had to manually fix permissions on the files becuase Leopard would complain about the file kext file not installed correctly. Eventhough I had ran the fix permissions utility.

I'm happy it works. I have also applied all the current upgraded from Apple and the system works great. Hopefully we can have sleep and dual core soon.

Darwin M1210.local 9.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct 9 21:35:55 PDT 2007; Tree:xnu-1228~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

:)

Not sure but sleep works great for me in all but one situation after:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Sleep from menu: ok

Wake with powerbutton: ok

Sleep from menu, close lid, open lid, wakes: ok

Sleep from close lid: No

RDPRDP

I have just a few problems with my leopard install on my m1210.

as I mentioned earlier, my biggest bug with leopard is the power management. i cannot set my laptop to NOT sleep. I cannot change these settings. I have replaced my original powermanagement.bundle with the one supplied in the guide. every time i change a setting for sleep it changes back on me. is this a permissions issue? is there a way to change these settings in the terminal?

for me, this problem must be fixed before i can even use leopard as an OS

AlfDog - you said you were having the same problem. did you find a solution for it? did you also replace the powermanagement bundle?

RDPRDP - I wasn't able to execute that hibernate command. i get a

"error 0xe00002c9 writing customized power profiles to disk"

Could this be related to my sleep problems?

KingTKS - I was able to finally change my dual core settings. before I had a blank password and couldn't get sudo to work. that was the problem. i had since changed my password and now I'm able to edit the file to enter the dual core settings.

Cain - sorry it has been so long. I am using the dell wireless card. not the intel one. i didn't have any problems with it. just worked for me.

O and the last problem that doesn't worry me too much is the fact that it wont power off the i shut down.

I used the BrazilMac method. clean install. patched.

We'll after a couple of hours of setting up my system the way I like it. I'm glad to anounce that Leopard is successfully installed on my M1210.

Things that did not work on Tiger still don't work on Leopard.

Sleep

Dual Core

Everything else is working just fine. I had to copy the AppleHDA kext from my previous install to have Audio work since the patchers outthere do not seem to work for Leopard. I also had to manually fix permissions on the files becuase Leopard would complain about the file kext file not installed correctly. Eventhough I had ran the fix permissions utility.

I'm happy it works. I have also applied all the current upgraded from Apple and the system works great. Hopefully we can have sleep and dual core soon.

Darwin M1210.local 9.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct 9 21:35:55 PDT 2007; Tree:xnu-1228~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

;)

would you please send me the working AppleHDA.kext?

Here ya go..I'm trying to make a custom DVD with all the M1210 paches included. :DWe'll I have re-mastered the Leopard DVD and replaced the AppleHDA.kext and IONetworkingfamily.kext It appears that If i add the power management bundle into the DVD rom the install will not go through. Meaning that I will actually boot into the desktop but all of the sudden the the CDROM drive will spin down and the install will just stay on the screen not allowing you to do anything.:(Hopefully when I find a good nvidia.kext that does not screw up the Leopard shutdown I will add it re-master it and go from there.;)

AppleHDA.zip

Kevin, you mentioned that you were able to change the dual core setting once you set a password, did you try changing the power settings after that too since it might have been the same thing preventing you from changing them. If not, you could try changing the settings manually in the configuration file:

sudo vim /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

Of course you can use a different editor if you prefer. Change the 'Display Sleep Timer' and 'System Sleep Timer' values to 0 in both the battery power and AC power sections.

The only things I haven't been able to get working on my laptop now are the sleep mode and wireless networking. Unfortunately, on my laptop, an operating system is kind of useless without those things :(.

The only things I haven't been able to get working on my laptop now are the sleep mode and wireless networking. Unfortunately, on my laptop, an operating system is kind of useless without those things :) .

You're using a dell wireless card or an intel?

I must have bought mine a little after you guys all did, cuz i have a "Dell 1505 Draft 802.1.1n WLAN Mini-Card." When I boot into OSX I get no airport icon and when i try look in internet connect etc. nothing is recognized. Anybody have any solutions? Since its a dell wireless card its probably based on a broadcom chip... Thanks!

need some help here

i managed to install ToH Leopard RC2

i did patch AppleHDA

well done..

now, i cant boot w/o disc.. i tried /usr/misc/script.sh Leopard in terminal, dont think its working

msg im getting is,

-bash: /usr/misc/script.sh: No such file or directory

hmmmmm?

for internet connection, as far as i know 3945 is not supported yet, but some of you mentioned its working right out of the box..

is it.. really working?

thanx

The ones who have wireless working out of the box are using a different card (usually Dell 1390 I think). Those of us with the 3945 card have to do without wireless for now :D, but there are people trying to get it working.

okey, thats what i thot

he said 3945 worked.. so.. i was confused

i cant even get my wired internet work.. tried as first page says.. but whenever i reboot, it says 'system extension cannot be used'.... blah blah.. xxxx.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used... sigh...

still booting up with disc.... :P

I tried to get the wired networking working using the instructions in the first post of this thread at first too, and it didn't work for me. I think (but can't remember for certain) that I ended up just replacing the entire leopard .kext with the one linked in the first post instead of just replacing some of the files contained in it and that worked for me.

try changing the settings manually in the configuration file:

sudo vim /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

Of course you can use a different editor if you prefer. Change the 'Display Sleep Timer' and 'System Sleep Timer' values to 0 in both the battery power and AC power sections.

Cain - Unfortunately this didn't work either. but thank you for replying. I may just reinstall the os seeing that I seem to be one of the only people with this problem and it makes my laptop almost useless.

I am probably going to use the brazilmac Leopard install. that is.... unless anyone knows of a better iso to use? I have seen the TOH version going around. is this any better? anyone have good results with this?

I want to make it clear that I am using the Dell 1390 wireless card. sorry for causing any confusion in my last posts.

hi....sleep doesn't work with me too...and it is really EXTREMELY annoying..i cant use Mac OS as my primary OS for that reason!!!...and i really want to upgrade or install leopard...no idea what version....there is ToH...but i read its not that good!!! there is brazil mac....and what i heard is good is FLAT IMAGE i think...getting the original dmg..and patching it...

anyway....i just bought a DL-Leopard version (as he claims) coppied from original..but couldn't find the DMG fine in it!!! the only thing i could see is Boot Camp instalation.exe and some word files and 2 folders..(drivers+documentation) any ideas...plz help

:unsure:

We'll after much troubleshooting It appears that the Natit.kext is causing Leopard to Hang at boot. I know this because on every install I do as soon and Natit.kext is installed Leopard fails to shutdown normaly.

:(

I will keep on chuggin along to see what works.

hey,

so what was your solution?

i have same problem.. sometimes, i have to unplug my charger, and pull out the battery to turn it off.. :P

let me know

thanx!

Since shutdown seems to hang forver I simply just restart. Which usually take about 2 minutes and when it restarts I simply turn it off.

:D

Not pretty or what you would like to hear. But it save me from screwing up my filesystem.

I have been using it for 2 days straight and Leopard runs beautifully on this machine.

Just to update you guys. I have just installed the EFI boot loader into my laptop. This allows me to boot the stock kernel and be able to update the system without worrying about messing things up with apples kernels.

<_< If you would like to do this to your system also please go to the following website.

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

Put the files like instructed but instead of booting from the system using -s boot from the install DVD and patch the boot record from there.

umount /Volume/NAME

cd /Volume/USBSTICKNAME/

and patch from there.

Works like a charm on my system. I just updated to the latest Apple update.

Darwin M1210.local 9.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Wed Oct 31 17:46:22 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228.0.2~1/RELEASE_I386 i386