The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

sonotone

You are absolutely right. The new kernel solved all the problem. The tearing is gone. The trackpad works perfect with the NVinjectgo at 1280x800., Only minor nuisance is the time from spinning logo to full screen to appear takes about two minutes. Any suggestion to shorten that period

So this will enable both cores on the M1210? Do I need to remove 'CPUS=1' from my com.Apple.Boot.list thingy? Can somebody post a quick explanation of how to do this change? I read through the referring post, but it is kinda short on details. Do I need to replace the kernel, and then apply the patch, or do I need to replace the kernel, and then add a string to my boot arguments?

Nevermind, I just installed the new kernel with OSX86Tools, removed the CPUS=1 argument and added -tscsync to the boot arguments and it works like butter. I had to install the correct System.kext for the 9.4.0 kernel, to fix some USB problems, but that wasn't a big deal. Everything seems to be fine, but I have had some trouble with restarting. Does anybody have shutdown working correctly with Leopard and sleep working?

Nevermind, I just installed the new kernel with OSX86Tools, removed the CPUS=1 argument and added -tscsync to the boot arguments and it works like butter. I had to install the correct System.kext for the 9.4.0 kernel, to fix some USB problems, but that wasn't a big deal. Everything seems to be fine, but I have had some trouble with restarting. Does anybody have shutdown working correctly with Leopard and sleep working?

JJ

Which kext modification do you use to fix usb problem? I have no more usb hotpluggability after the kernel upgrade.

Addendum: Well I used the 10.5.4 System.kext from my MBP now everthing works. Well almost everything. Still need to fix sleep wake issue.

Graphics Card (with dual display functioning)- instructions for 7400 card

Now here is the part that is going to be the most interest to most of you - as I know most people have had trouble with getting their card to work along with dual display. Please note that these instructions are intended only for users with the GeForce Go 7400 and no other graphics cards. If you have another card, look to the following guides for help and to find your proper NVCAP.

I found the instructions in this guide- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry786743.

This guide also helped to learn more about NvCap's- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...103549&st=0

1. Go to /system/library/extensions/NVDAResman.kext/contents/ and open up info.plist using Property List Editor (install xcode first- plist editor is part of the package).

In that list of items, go to the following: IOKitPersonalities-->NVidiaRMPCIMatch-->IOPCIPrimary Match and add the device ID (0x01d010de) to the front of the value line (right click and select "show raw keys / values" if you cannot see any values)

The value should look like this when finished "0x01d010de 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff......."

2. Go to /system/library/extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/contents and open up info.plist using Property List Editor again.

In that list of items, go to the following: IOKitPersonalities-->NVidiaRM-->IOPCIPrimaryMatch and add the device ID the same way we did in the previous step.

It should look like this when its finished "0x01d010de 0x004010de&0xfff0ffff....."

3. Use the NVInjectGo 0.2.0 installer to painlessly install the graphic drivers.

4. Replace the info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext/Contents/ with the one posted by theraven (post#402; Jan 13, 2008).

To my knowledge, he simply modified the NvInjectGo NVCap with the necessary one, which is:

04010101 00000d00 0e000000 00000000 00000000.

(The NVCAP value field can be found in IOKITPersonalities-->NVInjectGo-->entries to add-->NVCAP)

5. Then, in the same info.plist file, add the device ID to IOKITPersonalities-->NVInjectGo-->IOPCIMatch

It should look like this "0x01d010de 0x000010de&0x0000ffff"

6. Still in the same plist, replace the IOProbeScore number by 0. (it can be found directly under IOPCIMatch)

7. Launch terminal and type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

reboot

I performed all the steps as written but now get "The system extension '/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext' was installed improperly and cannot be used."

I'm sure it has something to do with permssions but have had no luck thus far.

When I try

sudo su cd /users/*username*/desktop/

chown -R 0:0 NVDAResman.kext (I have a copy located on the desktop)chmod -R 755 NVDAResman.kext

Operation fails, access denied

I used DiskUtility to repair permissions but now leopard hangs on boot.

Started up in safe mode and found that nvdaresman.kext to be empty after diskutility repair.

Whenever I try to chown NVDAresman.kext I get "Operation not permitted"

I've tried using sudo su.

EDIT:

Problem solved. I used OSX86Tools to install the modified NVDARes.kext.

Just followed the method desctibed above by icespyder81 (thank you for this detailed walk through) and every thing works fine. Only problem is the ethernet connection. At home I use the wifi and this works great, but at work I am using the ethernet connection and this seems to fall out after a certain period (for some reasons I have the feeling that in part it depends also on starting up the mail application or RSS reader). This problem was already described by JorgeJones (post of July 16).

Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

For those who have TRACKPAD & KEYBOARD problems after retail install I have these to solve the problems.

1) Download the Files.

2) After Installation reboot with the DVD/CD and replace the Extensions folder and mac_kernel

To do these:

In terminal

cd /Volumes/XYZ/ 

mv mach_kernel mach_kernel.bak

cp -R /<path to the dowloaded mach_kernel(9.4)> /Volumes/XYZ/

chown -R 0:0 mach_kernel

chmod -R 644 mach_kernel

XYZ=your partition label

Do this to replace the Extensions folder

cd /Volumes/XYZ/System/Library/

mv Extensions Extensions.old

cp -R /<path to the downloaded Extensions folder> /Volumes/XYZ/System/Library/

rm -rf Extensions.mkext

reboot

This time boot into the INSTALLED PARTITION

Install Chameleon with the OSX86Tools

http://######.com/osx86tools/

reboot and enjoy retail install. Make sure you remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and reinstall the 9.4 mach_kernel AFTER EVERY UPRADE BEFORE REBOOT !

http://rapidshare.com/files/137175790/mach_kernel

http://rapidshare.com/files/137175732/Extensions.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Did somebody test iATKOS v4i - 10.5.4 on the xps 1210?

Is it better compatible (vga out, nvidia...) than kalyway?

Yep. Installed it onto both my XPS 720 (Desktop) and my XPS 1210 (laptop). Used an EFI string from netkas' forum to get video working, and everything is beautiful.

Hi,

After 4 attempts at installing, breaking things and perservering, I finally got my graphics card working so I'll share my experience with you.

I have an Asus W7J laptop with a nVidia GeForce 7400 Go graphics card. I installed iATKOS 4i's OS X 10.5.4 off of DVD.

Hope this helps someone!

Hi,

After 4 attempts at re-installing, breaking things and perservering, I finally got my graphics card working so I'll share my experience with you.

I have an Asus W7J laptop with a nVidia GeForce 7400 Go graphics card. I installed iATKOS 4i's OS X 10.5.4 off of DVD.

Following comment #523's instructions in this thread everything worked fine and now I have 1280x800 resolution on my laptop's screen. And also when I connected an external monitor to the VGA port I found dual screens were working!

Hope this helps someone.

I have successfully updated to 10.5.4.

1. Installed Kalyway 10.5.2

2. Installed Kalyway Comboupdate 10.5.3, after this installs do not reboot. Open up the kernel installer and install Vanilla Kernel 9.3. After that finishes Reboot

3. As the computer is rebooting go into darwin and type update -v and hit enter. The computer might restart, mine did. Its fine let it reboot normally and you should see the desktop.

4. download the 10.5.4 apple update installer from apple (the .dmg)

5. Install it and reboot and once its booting go into darwin again and do the update -v and it should boot up from there without restarting again.

You should be fully updated now.

I am trying to get VGA out working on 10.5.4 right now.. just waiting for this 1GB xcode to finish downloading.

• 3 weeks later...
ok took me a couple of weeks but got everything up and running.... except usb! and dual cores could someone help me get both cores working I tried following the guide but I can't figure it out!!! thanks guys!!

Do u have sleep and shutdown working properly. And what about airport icon is it showing up properly. Also had to reconnect to wifi after restart everytime. I could not get sound and shutdown to work together. Do you have the steps u used to get everything working together.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to get my Video Out working based on the following guide (few pages before) but I ran into some serious trouble. After I followed the steps, I was getting kernel panic right after the bootup would start. When I booted up with -v, the problem was that it could not start the window manager, which was preceded by this statement (3 times on the screen):

VID: Family Specific Matching Fails

After trying for many hours, I was able to get away from that, load the NVinject kext manually and sync (while in single user mode). However, now when I try to boot up the machine, it seems to be loading up, the wheel is spinning normally as if the system was about to boot, but then I get the gray screen telling me that I have to Shutdown/Restart the computer.

When I try to boot up with -v, I see the VID statement twice, then it finds the NVinject kext and outputs the regular things and keep going. However, then it halts with these being the last few outputs on the screen:

fseventsd[59]: event logs /.fseventsd out of sync with volume. destroying old logs (80 16 396)

fseventsd[59]: log dir /.fseventsd getting new unid A3AD81D4-1CD1-4325-BA60-8E4E6F87945F

DumpPanic[62]: Error getting a reference to IODevice Tree:/Options

ntpdate[123]: can't find host time.apple.com

ntpdate[123]: no servers can be used, exiting

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[55]: login window application started

MAC AUTH succeeded

Airport: link up on en1

/usr/sbin/ocspd[127]: starting

I really don't know what the problem is, and if somebody could help me that would be great, because I am really frustrated about what to do. I cannot do a reinstall, because I would lose too many settings and updates. Any ideas are very appreciated!:-)

Hello everyone,

I am currently running my m1210 with Leopard 10.5.2 with everything fully working except for dual core and track pad scrolling. After installing with Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd - I had wireless, Ethernet, power management, and boot with cpus=1, and sleep fully working. Then- using the upcoming steps- I was able to synchronize my clock, fix the sound, and have a fully working video card with dual display functioning- (GeForce Go 7400)

The following are the steps one needs to follow in order to get the same build.

Download the following:

1. Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd (torrent)

2. NvInject 0.2.0 installer from NvInject webpage - http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

3. Info.plist from theraven post#402 (Jan 13, 2008) of this tutorial

4. Xcode from apple developer tools; you'll need to register with apple- you need it in order to have Property List Editor - http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

5. AppleHDAPatcher_v1.12.zip patch and the sigmatel9221.txt file found on the first page of this tutorial.

10.5.2 Installation Steps:

First I installed Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd with the following options.

1. Kernels- select all of them (probably unnecessary, but it works)

2. Graphics drivers- none; you'll install NvInjectGo later.

3. Audio- default options

4. *Network- default options. (works only for 1505, not 3945)

5. Patches- Select powermangement_bundle; boot with cpus=1; timemachine fix (timemachine not tested though)

6. Third party applications- I'm not sure all of them will actually install; VLC did work though.

*Please note that only the 1505 wireless card will work with this install. The Intel 3945 wireless card will not be detected using these default network drivers.

After install, graphics will be blurry (have not installed drivers yet), but sleep, power manangement, Ethernet, single core, and wireless should be working (except if you have an Intel 3945 card).

First, lets get the sound working and the clock synchronized.

Sound:

"Unzip the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.12.zip, then drag the sigmatel9221.txt file into the AppleHDAPatcher icon, authenticate, patch and restart"

Clock:

"Set the correct time in Windows, restart, then just uncheck 'Set date & time automatically' (in OS X) and set the time zone so it will match the real time and date. Your time zone will be wrong, but the date and time will be correct."

Go to terminal and get into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and modify it to look like the following.

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC fsb=166</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Graphics Card (with dual display functioning)- instructions for 7400 card

Now here is the part that is going to be the most interest to most of you - as I know most people have had trouble with getting their card to work along with dual display. Please note that these instructions are intended only for users with the GeForce Go 7400 and no other graphics cards. If you have another card, look to the following guides for help and to find your proper NVCAP.

I found the instructions in this guide- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry786743.

This guide also helped to learn more about NvCap's- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...103549&st=0

1. Go to /system/library/extensions/NVDAResman.kext/contents/ and open up info.plist using Property List Editor (install xcode first- plist editor is part of the package).

In that list of items, go to the following: IOKitPersonalities-->NVidiaRMPCIMatch-->IOPCIPrimary Match and add the device ID (0x01d010de) to the front of the value line (right click and select "show raw keys / values" if you cannot see any values)

The value should look like this when finished "0x01d010de 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff......."

2. Go to /system/library/extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/contents and open up info.plist using Property List Editor again.

In that list of items, go to the following: IOKitPersonalities-->NVidiaRM-->IOPCIPrimaryMatch and add the device ID the same way we did in the previous step.

It should look like this when its finished "0x01d010de 0x004010de&0xfff0ffff....."

3. Use the NVInjectGo 0.2.0 installer to painlessly install the graphic drivers.

4. Replace the info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext/Contents/ with the one posted by theraven (post#402; Jan 13, 2008).

To my knowledge, he simply modified the NvInjectGo NVCap with the necessary one, which is:

04010101 00000d00 0e000000 00000000 00000000.

(The NVCAP value field can be found in IOKITPersonalities-->NVInjectGo-->entries to add-->NVCAP)

5. Then, in the same info.plist file, add the device ID to IOKITPersonalities-->NVInjectGo-->IOPCIMatch

It should look like this "0x01d010de 0x000010de&0x0000ffff"

6. Still in the same plist, replace the IOProbeScore number by 0. (it can be found directly under IOPCIMatch)

7. Launch terminal and type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

reboot

Troubleshooting- Graphics Card

When reboot is finished, the graphics should be very crisp and clear with full 1280x800 resolution. Connect an external monitor and detect display to test. 
Please note that if you detect an external display and then you disconnect it in order to switch back to a single monitor- you have to go to sleep and recover from sleep before you can reconnect and detect your external monitor again.

If you detect the external monitor and then disconnect and use single monitor mode, your monitors will crash and you will be forced to reboot if you try detecting the external monitor again without going to sleep and recovering first. I don't know why this is. See this page for more information- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103549

Summation

Now you should have everything working except for dual core and track pad. I have not heard of any fixes for the track pad, but would love it if someone could come up with a fix. As for dual core, I tried following Ulysses' method of booting without cpus=1 and then going to sleep and recovering to activate both cores, but it only worked once. It worked the first time I tried it, but I was not able to even boot into leopard again without cpus=1.

Things still needed (but may not be possible yet)

1. Dual core (looking for a better method than the unreliable "recover from sleep method")

2. Track pad (?)

3. Updating to 10.5.4 (a proven method and set of steps to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4). I am going to attempt to do this soon and I'll post my results after trying.

This is my contribution to the project and thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far! :(

Regards,

-IceSpyder81

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm new to this OS x 86 game and I need some help.

1. I downloaded the power management bundle and I got to the last step, but when I try to drag-n-drop to copy it, I authenticate and then the computer tells me that I don't have sufficient privileges to modify the bundle. How do I fix this?

2. How do I resize my Mac partition? I have 60 gigabytes of unallocated space that I want to give to OS X. But when I try to resize the volume in disk utility, the option to resize is grayed out. How do I make the partition bigger?

3. Are there ANY updates that I can install onto my computer? I know that I can't install system updates, but what about iLife or AirPort updates? Can I install those?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys. I'm new to this OS x 86 game and I need some help.

1. I downloaded the power management bundle and I got to the last step, but when I try to drag-n-drop to copy it, I authenticate and then the computer tells me that I don't have sufficient privileges to modify the bundle. How do I fix this?

2. How do I resize my Mac partition? I have 60 gigabytes of unallocated space that I want to give to OS X. But when I try to resize the volume in disk utility, the option to resize is grayed out. How do I make the partition bigger?

3. Are there ANY updates that I can install onto my computer? I know that I can't install system updates, but what about iLife or AirPort updates? Can I install those?

Thanks.

make a backup and then delete the bundle. then just copy then new one. it will ask for creds but should go.

google mac partition managers

you can update everything but system updates with no problem.

Well now I got everything to work. I add the powermanagement.bundle to the correct folder, restart, but I still don't get the battery icon. I've tried it 3 different times and none of them will work as to where I can get the battery icon

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have almost everything working except INTEL WIFI, and when my video display goes into sleep it will not wake up. When I move the mouse the screen stays mostly black except for some random colors that slowly bleed onto the screen. I have to hold down the power button and reboot to bring it back.

ALSO, MY 1st Install was using KALYWAY 10.5.2, and the INTEL WIRELESS ACTUALLY WORKED!!!! My monitor didnt have full resolution nor did the sound work so I tried iATKOS and a JAS disc as well....I finally found what i needed to do to get sound working on any of those packages and realized that maybe I could get the KALYWAY disc to get my INTEL WIRELESS to work again and use my new found knowledge to fix everything else. WELL the INTEL NEVER WORKED AGAIN! Im going to wipe my machine and try again but if anyone has insight on these issues and finding it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dell XPS 1210

3gb Ram

NVidia GeForce GO 7400

Intel Pro 3945 ABG Wireless Card

Your help is appreciated!

hi guys,

Thank god that I found this forum!

I want to get a working MacOSX setup for IPhone development - which means XCode + USB-Itunes support. I tried the Kalway 10.5.2 install on my XPS 1210 and I got a Mac system up, but it kills my WinXP install everytime:

that is, after installation, macos starts up and I am able to do stuff properly, but it doesnt shut down cleanly and I have to force reboot it. After this, when I try to boot my computer, it says "no bootable partitions found". WinXP's fixmbr also is not able to help after that (I have "unbooted" my computer atleast three times now)

Can anyone tell me a failsafe way to get a Xcode installation up and running - I have no problems doing it from Linux if that is better.

helpp!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...