The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

hei guys good to be back after several times, ive menaged to be familiar with the mac installation. Have been using JAS 10.4.8, iATKOSv1.0r2, Kalyway 10.5.1 and the last one 10.5.2. And the best of all goes to Kalyway 10.5.2, i've got the sleep but still working with the shutdown.

Do you guys find how to use the external monitor out? i've made a presentation in the keynote, but it's all useless since i can't use the monitor out, ive tried the FN-F8 but it's just crash the m1210, so i need to restart it up.

Anyhelp?? would be appreciate it.

ps1. i've bought an usb wifi card, and it works well ^^

ps2. thx for the responds ^^

ps3. if anyone would like to ask about my installation method, i would like to share it ^^dunno if it's important or not, but i'd like to share for those who like to have mac in their 1210 ^^

ps4. i should stop using PS ^^

cheers

Hi esa1st and anyone who succeeded installing Kalyway,

I'm a newbie to this type of installation, so I have no idea what to do and which option to choose right from the beginning. I've skimmed through this thread and I also do not understand how to run command codes from kernel or something. Would you guyz mind posting step by step the whole process for Kalyway 10.5.2? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

CPU: 1.83GHZ (Duo Core)

VGA: Intel 945GM

Wireless: Intel Pro 3945 (1390 is on the way)

Webcam, Bluetooth

SM2891. well you could try these things up. Download "from you know where" the famous kalyway installation disk for 10.5.1...burn it and do some repartition of your hard drive, let it be in fat32 for your new mac repartition. search also for easyBCD to change your boot drive.after that, go to your mac installation disk, search for CHAIN0copy it to your C driveand run commandprompt, and do this thing,bcdedit /copy {current} /d "MAC"bcdedit /enum activebcdedit /set {GUID} PATH \CHAIN0(where GUID is your address of chain, usually, when you run enum active thing, it will show you the address of your new MAC, just copy it...there're a lot of number there). boot.Run as seadonkey do, disable dual core in bios, and run disk installation using kalyway 10.5.1.just the same press F8 when the install start and "-v" (without quotes)the installation start in kernel, until you go into the installation panel, search for disk utility, and chose your new hardware (just follow the same method as seadonkey do).when try to install choose, this is important, the famous vanilla kernel, the vga card, usually, there are the option for NATIT for laptop, and this thing always works for 7400. and dont forget to chose MBR boot. Dont choose SSE2 or SSE3, you dont need these, just made panic, and dont choose sound, because it wont work until you do the patch. Just these three things, vanilla kernel (EFI), NATIT for vga, and boot MBR.Run the installationand when everything goes well, you will go back to the famous apple boot.how to go back to windows, you should 'maybe' prepare for vista installation disk, in case you have HFS partition error, dont panic, its just the boot, which no more recognize the windows partition.Do installation utility with vista disk, and chose repair, and command prompt.run :diskpartselect disk 0select partition 1activeand there you go, if everything goes fine, you will go back to vista booting with the mac in the second line ^^goodluckOh i almost forgot,after you run and get your 10.5.1you can either search kalyway 10.5.2 disk update and install it directly. or you could do the netkas update, which is more complicated.my suggestion, just search 10.5.2 kalyway update in "you know where", and install it. SOMEHOW, after that the installation do fine, but the boot after works so slow.How to fix that? search for vanilla kernel 9.2 (if im not mistaken, and install it), you should go back to the "speed" before. oh yeah, the "after installation" fro seadonkey, it's a good thing to have all your hardware works (sound, cpu core, etc ^^)... goodluckwish me luck for my JAVA exam tomorrow ^^ I DONT KNOW wHY "THE ENTER" WONT WORK... :)

For some reason after replacing my Intel Pro wireless mini-card with the Dell 1390 mini-card I can't get the Wi-Fi light (up by the caps/scroll/num lock LEDs) to turn on. The BIOS recognizes the mini-card as "Dell Wireless" and it is a brand new card. I have tried changing various BIOS settings including the WI-FI Catcher and Wireless Switch also toggeling the switch on the left side of the notebook but nothing will get the Wi-Fi led to turn on, which in turn means when I boot into Leopard and go to System Profiler under AirPort Card it says "No information found". When I go to Network settings it lists Ethernet and FireWire but nothing else. Any ideas?

I had the same problem when I first got my 1390... I reinstalled kalyway and it worked right out the box.

Still searching for my external out solution by the way lol.. I would also like to get 2 finger tracking to work, any guides?

I'm having a problem installing Ethernet/Wireless. Whenever I mod the ethernet followed by steps from seadonkey, the ethernet works very well but the wireless is disappeared (No Airport Card Installed). Does anyone know what is happening here? Please help me

Thank you

Ethernet: Broadcom 440x from Dell (worked only wireless no longer work) WEIRD

Wireless: Dell 1390 from Ebay (worked)

Sound worked (mic not working)

Graphic worked (1280x800). (VGA Output worked)

Webcam: not working

Cardreader: not working

• 2 weeks later...

I can´t download the driver for the nvidia go 7400 plzzz some heeeelp...Hi i have a del xps m1210 with a intel centrino Duo 1.86 and i try to enable the multiprocesors and i change the sudu and restar with the multiprocesor enable, but when i do this leopard die :P ...can someone can help me..?? plzzz

Hi there

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8 in my DELL 1210 and works good, but I don't have Graphics Card works so I can't change resolution, I was looking on the web but any suggest is working for me. My Dell has GMA 945 chipset family and I am trying to use gma950.kext but when install this kext the screen go Black, and no work. When I installed Tiger 10.4.10 all works good include display, but now with this version Display is not working even I use the older kext from 10.4.10.

Somebody has the same model and have any solution for that problem...

thank You

Thanks to this thread, I have the Kalyway 10.5.2 release working wonderfully on my m1210. Only things not working is sleep, dual core, and wireless. I haven't had time to install the power management stuff yet, so hopefully, that will take care of my sleep issues.

The biggest thing I want to get working is the wireless. I have the Intel card so I know I am out of luck there. I am going to buy a replacement for it that works in OSX and Vista. Here is the problem... I want wireless N. I need wireless N for the large file transfers I have to do to my server. What card should I get that works? I have searched all over the forums for the past two days and cannot find any conclusive answer if the 1500 or the 1505 work in 10.5.2. Anyone here know anything? How else can I get N working? Thanks!!

Why do you need 802.11n? Is it worth the hype? 802.11n is still on draft stages and by the time it is officially released (est 6 2009), you should have upgraded your laptop.

Thanks to this thread, I have the Kalyway 10.5.2 release working wonderfully on my m1210. Only things not working is sleep, dual core, and wireless. I haven't had time to install the power management stuff yet, so hopefully, that will take care of my sleep issues.

The biggest thing I want to get working is the wireless. I have the Intel card so I know I am out of luck there. I am going to buy a replacement for it that works in OSX and Vista. Here is the problem... I want wireless N. I need wireless N for the large file transfers I have to do to my server. What card should I get that works? I have searched all over the forums for the past two days and cannot find any conclusive answer if the 1500 or the 1505 work in 10.5.2. Anyone here know anything? How else can I get N working? Thanks!!

If you NEED draft N, I've heard that this will work without any modifications or drivers. I guess this is because it's a broadcom chipset.

DELL NJ449 1500

I've also seen the part #'s 0NJ449 or DW1500

you can find it with a google search, or sometimes on ebay

prices range from 35-60 bucks

happy hunting

alf

I guess I got most of all features on m1210 working now except for:

1. Webcam

2. Line-in or microphone jack from front panel

3. Card reader.

4. VGA output

Anyone know how to make microphone jack to work?

Thanks for all the help you guys have provided!!

zerolimit,

my guess would be that your hard drive isn't formated/partitioned correctly, but I think it would be better to ask this in the main forums where more people would see it

good luck

alf

I got Kalyway 10.5.2 working on my 1210. The sleep and shutdown does not work just like before, and I had to install osx with the dell wireless card dissconnected in order to get everything functioning correctly.

I can not seem to get the VGA out working. It can not dectect the second display. Anyone have any idea to get it working? I have the nvidia card and had to install nadit 1.0.

The NVCAP that worked for me is BAEBAQAADQAOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA= and its way different than posted on the thread...

I use lg external crt 14 inch lol

is it a possibility that nvcap deppends on the type of external display attached..... ?_?

any clarification is appriciable.

Megamachine, how do you wake from sleep mode?

is there any update? i mean, the things that doesn't work are the dual core (need to use cpus=1), power management and shut down, is there a way so we can solve it? Did anyone tried the new iAtkos v2.0i?

Also how can i Activate the touchpad scrolling?

is there any update? i mean, the things that doesn't work are the dual core (need to use cpus=1), power management and shut down, is there a way so we can solve it? Did anyone tried the new iAtkos v2.0i?

Also how can i Activate the touchpad scrolling?

Tried iAtkos v2.0i. No sleep, need cpus=1, no webcam.