The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

Just wanted to report a successful kalyway 10.5.1 install and add some tips along with it. I'm working on a full-fledged kalyway guide, since the m1210 is a pretty good computer for osx86.

- GUID install method failed for me. It was very difficult getting the DVD to boot. I would get kernel panics sometimes, or I would get a sputtering DVD drive. But i blame this on the AWFUL TSST-corp L632D (which recently decided to lose all of its screws and fall out. Dell's sending new screws, not a new drive. Gee, Thanks Dell! :) )

- Anyway, for those with the 7400 go I'd recommend switching from NVInject to NvidiaEFI. I've only gotten 16 bit colour with nvinject but with NvidiaEFI you get full 32-bit color. This is better for designers (like myself), but I can't report the success of gaming with NvidiaEFI. No sleep issues with it either.

- Wifi works well with the 1490. I had alot of initial problems with sputtering connections, until i turned off the wireless catch and wireless switch in the BIOS. Works great now.

- I'm not sure how successful I was installing power management. Or at least I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. Anyway, I don't get very good battery life from the machine; 2 hours or less, at most, with the display brightness at the lowest setting. I remember it being more with XP...

-Shutdown doesn't work properly. Restart works. Sleep works. As does the dual-core sleep trick. Occasionally I get a spinning ball of death at the login screen and I am unable to sleep. I think this might be because of some sort of occasional system self-test that it struggles with due to the CPU. booting with the cpus=1 flag seems to remedy this.

- Sound works great. First headphone jack works. Second doesn't. Line-in untested.

- CS3, Final Cut Studio, MAMP server, iLife, iWork, and VMware Fusion all work great.

Overall, a great machine. Thanks to everyone at this thread for the help!

A Question though. What is everyone's experience with the 1490? Mine is strange. I've taped off pin 20 and disabled the wireless switch in the BIOS. Otherwise i get sputtering connections. But even then it's SLOW. This also happens whenever I unplug and run on battery power. Bandwidth drops DRAMATICALLY until the connection finally drops altogether.

Has anyone else had to tape off pin 20? And do you guys ever experience these issues with wireless? 1490 seems inconsistent at best.

Additionally, most have mentioned the need to change en0 to 1 and all that for the 1490. However, mine only works as en2. Is this Normal?

If I remember correctly I had the same sleep problem until I switched from natit to nvinject.

do you have the go 7400 card? hmm.. i'l try the nvinjet driver even if i have the intel graphic card, who knows, maby that will solve the sleep problem even if i have the intel card, but i think the real problem is with my graphic card. i'l post here and let you know if it works

I finally got my dell 1390 today, plugged it in and everything works perfectly, I have no problem with wireless. As I booted into leopard, the airport turned itself on and started working right away. Now I have an almost perfectly working system, but only using one core with cpus=1. The last problem is that my time between windows and mac os differs by 6 hours every time I boot into the other system. Any advice?

I ordered the same card, am using Leo 1.5.1 and the BIOS recognizes the card properly. However when I boot up and go to network settings there is no wireless adaptor found. Anyone know what could be the issue?

I ordered the same card, am using Leo 1.5.1 and the BIOS recognizes the card properly. However when I boot up and go to network settings there is no wireless adaptor found. Anyone know what could be the issue?

are you using kalyway install or something else?

10.5.2 Progress Report

EDIT: THINGS ARE SLOWLY BREAKING DOWN. I'm getting link errors, library problems, installer problems, mail is crashing. Things are slowly going wrong. STAY AWAY from 10.5.2 unless you're willing to try fixing all of this.

I installed 10.5.2 on my inspiron and i have a few notes. First off, it's not 100% working.

Installation Method:

1) Back everything up. Use timemachine, carbon copy cloner, whatever. Just make sure a working copy of your partition is accessible just in case.

2) Download 10.5.2 update from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...omboupdate.html

3) Install it.

4) Run the BrazilMac Post Patching Script. (Try removing the lines that relate to replacing the kernel. The 10.5.2 kernel works fine for me).

5) Cross your fingers and reboot.

6) I had to pass the flag "-f" to the bootloader (in addition to what was present in my boot.plist, which is cpus=1 and -legacy) to boot properly.

7) Assuming everything goes OK and you manage to log in, you may notice (as I did) that your CPU is 100%. It seems the MDSWorker process is repeatedly starting and crashing. Mine crashed with the following message:

Feb 12 01:12:19 cpe-69-203-104-2 ReportCrash[824]: Formulating crash report for process mdworker[1475]

Feb 12 01:12:19 cpe-69-203-104-2 com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10c2a0.mdworker[1475]): Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault

Feb 12 01:12:19 cpe-69-203-104-2 kernel[0]: CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1477[mdworker] clearing CS_VALID

Feb 12 01:12:19 cpe-69-203-104-2 ReportCrash[824]: Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/mdworker_2008-02-12-011218_shivsfrisbee.crash using uid: 0 gid: 0, euid: 0 egid: 0

My fix for this was to go to terminal and stop "mdworker" from running as follows:

$ sudo -s

# locate mdworker|xargs chmod 0000

I think this disabled spotlight. If you guys find any fixes, please let me know.

Graphics Update 1.0 Progress Report

Note: I have the GMA950 graphics/.

I installed it. Predictably, it gave me a blank black screen after the apple logo. I recopied AppleIntelGMA950* and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kexts from before and now it half works. There's weird artifacting on a lot of the menus. I suspect it has something to do with the new OpenGL framework.

EDIT:

Using Pacifist, I examined the Leopard Graphics Update package to see what else on the system was modified. I concluded that the following files needed to be replaced from my time machine backup:

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

/usr/libexec/oah/Shims/GLEngine.bundle

I have replaced them and everything works again.

Please post if you find osme way to use the new OpenGL Stuff or Drivers.

I've done everything and have leo running on my m1210 perfectly except for the vga out. How are you guys actually initiating it? i already copied over the plist that was post and i am using nvinjectgo 0.2.0 and i have the 7400 go.

Whenever i hit function F8 (for CRT/LCD) it just freezes the laptop. any ideas?

Another thing i saw someone said they were getting only 16bit with nvinject, im getting 32bit, just to throw that in there.

I've done everything and have leo running on my m1210 perfectly except for the vga out. How are you guys actually initiating it? i already copied over the plist that was post and i am using nvinjectgo 0.2.0 and i have the 7400 go.

Whenever i hit function F8 (for CRT/LCD) it just freezes the laptop. any ideas?

Another thing i saw someone said they were getting only 16bit with nvinject, im getting 32bit, just to throw that in there.

That com.apple.Boot.plist is not suitable for 10.5.1. It crashes my installation.

what graphic card do you have? I have the intel 945, I run kalway, cant wake up from sleep. can it have something to do with that?but the nvinjet is only for the go 7400 card and not the intel?

I also have the intel 945. Still can't get it to sleep. Sometimes it has a Kernel Panic when i shutdown.

Did anyone here use the Kalyway 10.5.1 Install disc? What options did you guys select? Im going to try to reinstall it tonight and see what happens (tried the 10.5.2. update with the graphics update and now I get a black screen)

Hey all,

It's great to see that people are still involved with this thread, and are posting their results and solutions. I decided to get back into things on this laptop after having much success with the Kalyway 10.5.1 iso, and his updates to 10.5.2 on my main computer.

I installed 10.5.1 using Ulysse's short guide on page 21 of this thread.

I downloaded and installed BOTH of Kalyway's 10.5.2 updates which are available on the "Bay" =)

They are the 10.5.2 update which doesn't install kexts, and the 10.5.2 kernal installer.

I installed the graphics update also, and had no problems.

I'm using Nvidia 7400, and Dell 1490.

After updating to 10.5.2

Sleep still works (button only)

Shutdown does not, so I use restart, then hit the power button to shut off.

I haven't tried the wired ethernet, no need at the moment.

no webcam

no SD

no Dual Core

I haven't tried the display out, since I don't use.

I don't have the battery meter in the menu, I'm a little afraid to install the battery package mentioned a few messages earlier, because I don't want to break sleep.

Many thanks to Seadonkey, Ulysse, and Kalyway!

alf

I'm also dual booting the new Vista SP1 (from the Bay) using Darwin as a bootloader. Here's a link to the guide I use:

http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/archive/20...bootloader.html

edit: time machine says it can't find the backup volume, anyone else having this problem?

Thank you SeaDonkey for your excellent Dell XPS 1210 TUTORIAL.

I took your advice and purchased a 1390 wireless card for $15.00 on Ebay

which works perfectly in Iatkos and Windows XP.

Also thanks to you my sound is working perfectly except now Shutdown hangs.

I also found that I was using the HDA Patcher incorrectly.

Drag the HDA Patcher along with the Dump file to your desktop.

Do not click on the HDA Patcher to open.

Simply drag the dump file on to the HDA Patcher and violla.

After the reboot the sound worked but now shutdown hangs.

I can't get the power management working. I have a m1210 using the Kalyway install method. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

*edit* Power management works with Kalyway 10.5.1 after a few tricks. However I still have no luck after putting the laptop to sleep. It doesn't wake up.

Do you mind telling me what you did to get the power management working? :(

For some reason after replacing my Intel Pro wireless mini-card with the Dell 1390 mini-card I can't get the Wi-Fi light (up by the caps/scroll/num lock LEDs) to turn on. The BIOS recognizes the mini-card as "Dell Wireless" and it is a brand new card. I have tried changing various BIOS settings including the WI-FI Catcher and Wireless Switch also toggeling the switch on the left side of the notebook but nothing will get the Wi-Fi led to turn on, which in turn means when I boot into Leopard and go to System Profiler under AirPort Card it says "No information found". When I go to Network settings it lists Ethernet and FireWire but nothing else. Any ideas?

Hello all, I finally got my external display to work, thanks to this thread using nvinject. However I wanted to mirror displays between the laptop and my external monitor. After I selected the option to mirror displays ,OSX started frezzing up, eventhough I got the mirrored display to work.Now I can't get it back :D . I'm using 10.4.8 Jas image. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching everywhere for natit universal driver, but all i can get is the Usenext server that i really wish dont wanna go to. Could anybody tell me where i can find this Natit universal driver 1.0. Thx

I've got some issues here, im running my MAC OSX 10.5.1 iATKOS v0.1r02 now. Got things done, and well, i've got the dual boot and etc. But, i've got some issues, especially the Broadcom 440X, where the internet connection stop responding after several times, does anyone have this same problem, please help me to fix this?

I've searched the intel 1390, and i find none, could i use a simple USB wifi key (just like USB key)?

Thx a lot

glad to say thanks for ur help :( i got almost everything working in my 1210 now, got power management, 2 finger tracking, audio, video, and even sleep works fine!. only thing left is dual core!.

How did you get the 2 finger scrolling? I would really love to get that to work!

esa1st:

1) Its not Intel 1390 but Dell 1390. I got it off ebay and it works perfect.

2) Why do you need Natit universal driver? Why dont you just use Nvinject go? Or if you have intel graphics, I think there is an intel driver for that...

Having a problem here, and of course it's my own fault.

Installed Kalyway, and then used the Original (from the guide) instrucions on how to set CPUS to one.

Now when I reboot I immediatley get a screen saying I need to shutdown using the power button.

Trying to -v -f -s or the like on boot just gets me verbose and then a kernal panic, nothing else.

Have I really messed up?

Tried as I could I was not able to find Leopard instructions for setting the CPU to 1.

Thanks in advance,

RDPRDPRDP

First off I am a noob...

I had a lot of trouble with the Ethernet and other random Kexts. What I finally found out was that in 10.5.1 AFAIK you have to first enable root, set a password for root, and before you do any of the command line entries you should be logged in as root. You can do this by typing su at the terminal prompt. If this is in this thread I may have missed it in my haste. I plan on writing a guide when I get some screen shots.

All the files provided in this thread worked great for me. Thank you to everyone for thier input.

hey guys,

i'm a noob but i think i got most of the stuff installed using ulysses's and seadonkey'guide.

every time i put this line of code in the com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC</string>

my comp won't start. but if i just put cpus=1 it does. what does platform=x86pc do?

also my comp won't shut down properly if i set cpus=1? anyone know how to fix this?

also when i boot up leopard i can see my pc partition. but when i load xp i can't see my leopard partition. anyone know how to get this to work?