The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

Could anyone upload AppleHda.kext or text of AppleHDAPatcher for Leopard on M1210?

I couldn't find sigmatel Driver for Leopard.

I read this thread and got the solution, but I don't have Tiger version image or CD to extract it.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English :(

Could anyone upload AppleHda.kext or text of AppleHDAPatcher for Leopard on M1210?

I couldn't find sigmatel Driver for Leopard.

I read this thread and got the solution, but I don't have Tiger version image or CD to extract it.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English :(

Read the first post in this thread.

Hector,

Thanks for the post. Yes this is a Leopard install I'm Talking about. I replaced the file and set the permissions but unfortunately I am getting the same results. you wouldn't happen to have any other suggestions would you?

This does seem like a permissions problem but everything should be correct. I have also tried editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist with no luck.

I installed ToH RC2 on my laptop. After a lot of wrestling and mangling, I finally got it to work with PC_EFI 6 (gma_laptop), the mach_speedstep kernel from #10.5, and the -legacy parameter to the bootloader.

I installed 10.5.1 and switched up my kernel to the 10.5.1 TOH kernel from #10.5, and now my screen goes blank as soon as the login window would appear. I see a flash of blue and then it just turns off.

Any ideas? I've tried a few different kernels and replacing the EFI with v5, but no luck.

Has anyone had any luck getting the VGA out to work on Leopard on an M1210 with the 7400?

For the record, I'm running the EFI bootloader with a stock 10.5.1 kernel (which allows me to sleep the machine). While I can boot with two cores (choppy), sleep it, then bring it back out (smooth), I usually just boot with cpus=1.

Anyway, I'm tried NVInject, Titan, Natit, Natit dual 0.01, Natit dual 0.02 and modifying the apple kexts by hand, and I still cannot get the machine to recognize my external monitor. If I press the fn-CRT/LCD key combination, the system locks up. The key combination does NOT lock up the system if I'm just using the normal VESA drivers in 1024x768, but given that my monitor runs at 1920x1200 (the higher res is the whole point), this is ultimately useless.

Anyway, I was hoping that someone else out there had managed to get the VGA out working and could enlighten me as to their methods. Unfortunately for me, this is a deal-breaker problem. 1280x800 is just not enough real-estate to edit the large data sets I use in my work.

Thanks in advance.

Xo.

If you're talking to me...

Dual core was switched off. The graphics were GMA950. I didn't have the ethernet, either. Since the botched 10.5.1, I've reinstalled and backed everything up. Now I'm going to try getting EFI to work before I do the update again.

Interesting. Do you mean you got everything working? Dual Core etc..? What kind of graphics card do you have?

Thanks.

Hector,

Thanks for the post. Yes this is a Leopard install I'm Talking about. I replaced the file and set the permissions but unfortunately I am getting the same results. you wouldn't happen to have any other suggestions would you?

This does seem like a permissions problem but everything should be correct. I have also tried editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist with no luck.

Make sure u are moving the old one to the trash before moving the new in and then do a repair permissions from the diskutil and reboot. You can try this one it is the one I edited.

PowerManagement.bundle.zip

Just to let you know: I have Leopard 10.5 running on my m1210. I first installed 10.4.8 (Jas), applied the powermanagement patch and directly installed 10.5 ToH RC2. Multicore support was turned off in the Bios (and actually still is, if I turn it on there is a panic at startup....). Wifi was recognied (Dell 1490 card in wwan-slot), but have to connect mannually to my network after each reboot (also, pictogram in bar does not display signal). Video works at 1280x800 after applying the NVinject 0.1.3 (NVidia GO7400), bluetooth works, no sound and no webam.

OSX 10.4.8 was really fast compared to Vista. OSX 10.5 has te same speed as 10.4.8..

Hi all,

I've been looking though this post for info on how to get OSX working on my M1210. I've been trying to install it from 3 different discs. I have a oxs86, Toh leopard, and a 10.4.8 disc that haven't given me any luck yet. Can some one point me in the right direction as to what disc/image I should be using when I try to get OSX installed. I'd appreciate it. PM me the info if you can. I've been going back and forth on the pages of this post with no luck. Thanks.

BIOS: A07 (System MXC062)

Performance > Multi Core Support: Off

SpeedStep Enable: Enabled

If i turn the "Multi Core Support" on Leopard starts with a panic screen and system has to be started again. Booting with cpus=1 or idlehalt=0 does not solve the problem. Is the option "-legacy -f" really needed? Only disabling the "Multi Core Support" makes it possible to startup Leopard.

Edited: ok, nexvision is completely right: enable "Multi Core Support" in the Bios and startup with "cpus=1 -legacy -f" and the system starts with Leopard.

A note to all regarding this. I've done xcode tests and my laptop scores a 110 or so with Multi Core Support enabled and cpus=1. It only scores a 70 with MCS Disabled.

I highly suggest you use this method. :)

BIOS: A07 (System MXC062)

Performance > Multi Core Support: Off

SpeedStep Enable: Enabled

If i turn the "Multi Core Support" on Leopard starts with a panic screen and system has to be started again. Booting with cpus=1 or idlehalt=0 does not solve the problem. Is the option "-legacy -f" really needed? Only disabling the "Multi Core Support" makes it possible to startup Leopard.

Edited: ok, nexvision is completely right: enable "Multi Core Support" in the Bios and startup with "cpus=1 -legacy -f" and the system starts with Leopard.

Just to let you know: I have Leopard 10.5 running on my m1210. I first installed 10.4.8 (Jas), applied the powermanagement patch and directly installed 10.5 ToH RC2. Multicore support was turned off in the Bios (and actually still is, if I turn it on there is a panic at startup....). Wifi was recognied (Dell 1490 card in wwan-slot), but have to connect mannually to my network after each reboot (also, pictogram in bar does not display signal). Video works at 1280x800 after applying the NVinject 0.1.3 (NVidia GO7400), bluetooth works, no sound and no webam.

OSX 10.4.8 was really fast compared to Vista. OSX 10.5 has te same speed as 10.4.8..

i'm newbie, and try my newbie's way:

- System Preferences - network -

- Create new service (+ sign below)

- Select interface : Airport

- Service name : Airport

- click create

- Apply

- Done.....

Just a general summation on present valid xps m1210 mod under Leo.

Ethernet: Still work with the original mod.

Sound: Still work but better with the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and sigmatel 9221-D.text dump.

Resolution: Nothing beyond 1024x768. Any kext that improve res=none functional trackpad/usb mouse.

Profiler:Not 100%

Snappiness: Better than under any version of Tiger

Software compatibilty: Works once the EFI patching is done.

CPU: Both core work.

Optical: Fully functional.

Please correct especially if I miss any functioning aspects.

Sound: Still work but better with the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and sigmatel 9221-D.text dump.

Resolution: Nothing beyond 1024x768. Any kext that improve res=none functional trackpad/usb mouse.

My display works fine at 1280x800.

My software is compatible, even without EFI.

"True" multicore support does not work. I have MCS enabled in bios, but I also have the CPUS=1 in my boot.plist.

Damn this sucks lol..

I just installed Leopard With the Kalyway, Brazil Patch, EFI 5.2 with Multicore off and the laptop boots up to leopard barely anything works.

Sound - Doesnt Work

Network Wireless and Wired- Doesnt work

Keyboard - Doesnt Work

Mouse Pad - Doesnt Work

Sleep - Works

Restart - Works

How does my keyboard and mouse not work?

(Edit, just installed efi 8.0 works just as well)

Ok so with the hard work of me and Stella everything now works except the wifi... i guess im gonna have to order me a card.

got the ethernet working just by replacing the current IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one from the very first post in this thread.

BTW has anyone gotten dual screens to work? I would like to just run the main display on my monitor if anything.

Sound is working now. Downloaded the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and first tried the Sigmatel 9221 -D.text dump. It took a very long time before the patcher replied with restarting the system. After a restart there was still no sound and no audio device recognized by Leopard. Then I applied the Sigmatel 9221.text dump (the one without the -D in the filename) and after a couple of seconds the patcher replied to reboot. This time the sound hardware was recognized and sound is working!. So, what's the difference between the two text dumps and why is the -d version not working for my system?

Here is my setup on Dell XPS1210 with Intel GMA950 graphics:

Installed Jas 10.4.8 to get the bootloader (have been using Tiger for sometime)

Upgraded to Leopard 10.5.0 using Brazilmac patched DVD. Replaced Broadcom 440x kext to get networking. Did not fiddle with cores/cpus during install. Installation went smoothly and ran postpatch. Installed EFI v5 without any problem. Got the m/c working with the vanilla kernel.

At this point, upgraded using 'software update', including upgrade to 10.5.1.

On a reboot, the system appeared to bootup but was presented with a blank screen after a blue screen for a brief period. Stacman in his Post #354 mentions something similar. Tried to recover the installation by changing the framebuffer kext without any luck. Tried to boot with the patched kernel and Toh kernel without any success. I suspect the problem was to do with the graphics but could not replace the GMA950 kexts.

Finally gave up and reinstalled Leopard 10.5.0. Boots up with both cores enabled (occational hangups). Have not checked if sleep/sound works. I have a 3945 WiFi, I know will not work.

I would like to know what precautions I should take to upgrade to 10.5.1. Can one use the update .dmg file to make a selective update, if so how to do it.

Have any of you tried any more vanilla kexts post install?

I am waiting for some expert advise before I undertake an upgrade again.

If you have leopard booting with efi v52 then there should be no worries doing the update..

Ok here is a little package I put together for you guys that contains the kexts I used to get my M1210 working like a beast.

Download both files.

Put them in the same folder and highlight them both and click on "EXTRACT HERE" make sure your using winrar.I had to split the files because the forums only allow 2MBs per file.

tmans_M1210_Leopard_Lifepak.part1.rar

tmans_M1210_Leopard_Lifepak.part2.rar