The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

I used the Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd dvd to install leopard on my mac partition. I didn't have to install Tiger first and I didn't have to follow any complicated procedures. I installed all the kernels the cd came with and selected the options that would work best for my m1210 (e.g. nvidia drivers).

When the installation finished I had my full resolution 1280x800, sleep worked, the time is correct, wireless works (1505), ethernet works, but sound did not.

In order to fix the sound I just followed the procedure from the tutorial- patching the applehda with the text file.

In summation- In less than an hour I had an ALMOST fully working 10.5.2 Leopard on my m1210. I have ONE problem though and I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it. I can't detect my external LCD monitor....

Does anyone have VGA output working? If so, what can I do to get it to work? If I can get this to work everything would be perfect.......

My DELL XPS M1210 specifications are as follow:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83ghz

2.5 gb ram (added myself)

Nvidia 7400 Go

I used a Kalyway 10.5.2 disc to install.

I had to install a couple of times before I was able to use the system. Not sure if anyone had the same problem. It would lag like 3s for every 2s. The "bad" install are as follow:

1st try:

Default options and

- Language Translations

+ Vanilla Kernel

+ NVInjectGo

+ Hardcoded SMBIOS

+ PCGenUSB_Fix

+ PowerMangement Bundle

2nd try:

Default options and

+ Vanilla Kernel

+ NVInjectGO

+ PCGenUSB_Fix

+ PowerManagement Bundle

+ Intel Memory

- Francais PC Keyboard

The installation that worked smoothly is:

+ Vanilla Kernel

+ NVInjectGO

+ 4 Wifi

- PCGenUSB_Fix

- Francais

+ Boot with CPUS=1

+ PowerManagement

I haven't had time to permutate the other options but I suppose the USB Fix is screwing up.

Anyway, I got DUAL DISPLAY UP, though mirroring is cranky. The mouse pointer and the actual position it is at doesn't correspond. How I did it was quite a mystery though.

1. Downloaded and installed NVInject0.2.0 from NVInject's site, reboot.

2. Got info.plist from forum (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=41775&st=200)

3. Replace into NVInject package.

4. Clear Cache, Repair permissions, reboot.

5. UNABLE TO BOOT INTO MAC OS. Entered safe mode and reinstalled NVInject.

6. Done!

Very very weird, but this was the 2nd time I did this. The last time when I did it successfully, I copied and kept the kext file. Then this time when I replaced that kext file into my fresh Mac install, it still told me it screwed up and isn't working. So I still had to use the above procedure.

After the above procedure was done, the moment I plugged in my external monitor, it worked immediately. Not sure if the LCD brand/model was tied to the NVCAP, cuz I connected an old Dell 17" at work and it works. At home I'm using an LG 17".

Wireless - not working

Sound - good (but there's problem with Warcraft III)

Sleep works, restart works, shutdown DONT WORK. WTF. (I haven't installed any other special things other than those during installation from Kalyway.

Did I miss out anything?

Icespyder, is the hardware switch for ur wifi working? or is it always on. I still can't believe the intel wifi worked for u. No one has reported it working before... perhaps you can outline what are the components u installed and how, using what disc.

Thanks!

well, I tried the kalyway 10.5.3 update off the bay, I tried with the vanilla kernal, maybe I did something wrong, but I killed my install

I reinstalled kalyway 10.5.1, used his update and kernal update

then I followed the netkas method of installing 10.5.3

now I have 10.5.3 with 9.3 kernal

Same things work as with 10.5.2

good luck

alf

Has anyone gotten Dual Core to work easily on this laptop. I remember reading a while back that some people had gotten it to work, but they had to sleep the machine first? I never got sleep working on my machine, but has anybody found a better/easier way to get it to work?

• 1 month later...

Any luck getting normal Scrolling to work? Kalyway 10.5.2 was brain dead easy installing on this machine. Except for Scrolling and Front Row crashing on me everything seems great. Only thing I had to do was HDAApp and Sigmatel.txt for Sound. iATKOSV2R2 also works.

Ethernet, Graphics, Powermanagemet etc worked out the gate. Using a USB wifi adaptor to get around the lack of support for Intel/Pro Wireless.

Its been awhile since this machine has been out so I doubt we're gonna see any fixes for the core support. The sleep method indicates its possible.

hi, i've been dual booting iATKOS 1 (10.5.1) + vista on my machine...its working like charm.. except for: sleep (never worked), shut down, and dual core!!! (card reader not working + i dont have web cam)

i had 2 instal a new wifi card (1490) since the 3945ABG not working, everything else working

One Quick Question. I'm using Leopard fairly heavily and was wondering if I should be concerned about it taxing my CPU since it using only one core. Heat wise it seems decent...but I just want to be sure. THe M1210 are notorious for running hot. Also has anybody gotten CPU temp monitoring up or the GPU temp monitor(NVidia).

hi, i've been dual booting iATKOS 1 (10.5.1) + vista on my machine...its working like charm.. except for: sleep (never worked), shut down, and dual core!!! (card reader not working + i dont have web cam)i had 2 instal a new wifi card (1490) since the 3945ABG not working, everything else working
Powermanagement is kosher out the box on the Kalyway 10.5.2 in case those issues(sleep/shutdown) are bothering you.

Powermanagement is kosher out the box on the Kalyway 10.5.2 in case those issues(sleep/shutdown) are bothering you.

.....can u upload it 2 me or tell me wher 2 find it plz

.....can u upload it 2 me or tell me wher 2 find it plz

I *got* it on the interwebitubes. :)

Checkout the usual sources PirateBay or MiniNova. Make sure and follow the guide on page 21 or Dougs Daltons guide(if you want to dual boot) here. http://www.netreveal.com/ddalton/2008/06/h...l_m1210_in.html

Sleep working perfectly on m1210, vanilla install.

Instead of using NVInject use native EFI strings. The easiest way is to use the installer at this thread:

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=3896

It works for the 7400 Nvidia. It sleeps via menu, via power button. Resumes via power button, and via opening lid. Closing the lid still does not sleep the computer, but not a deal breaker for me.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to boot completely with both cores enabled. cpus=2 never makes it into osx, whther I use fsb=166 or fsb=133 .

I'm running 10.5.4, installed 10.5.1 via original osx dvd, then comboupdated directly to 10.5.4, installed / removed kext to make it boot. Replaced SMBIOS with smbios-27 release so photoshop would work.

Any ideas on getting a complete boot with cpus=2? It hangs at firewire.

So I can use smbios-27 to run unpatched Photoshop? By the way, does anybody think that the m1210 runs hot?

Yes. This is correct. My EDU Photoshop edition works perfectly. The m1210 runs hot, I suggest getting a license for coolbook. http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

I use this and it is night and day difference in heat.

Now if I could only get both cores working. My laptop won't even boot with anything other than cpus=1, it just keeps rebooting or never gets into the gui to do the sleep trick.

Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for posting your results here. I'm kind of new to this hackintosh stuff, so your help is really appreciated! Now I'm in doubt about which version of the installer shall I download? Which one gives the best results?

My XPS M1210 is configured as follows:

- Core2 Duo T5600 CPU

- NVidia GeForce Go 7400

- 3 GB RAM (DDR2-667, 1x1 GB - 1x2 GB)

- 60 GB SATA HDD (clean, not the disk that came with the laptop)

- IPW 3945ABG (AFAIK this wifi card will not work... am I right?)

- Webcam (the Logitech/Dell one)

- Internal Dell 355 Bluetooth (BCM2045)

- Sigmatel 9220 (I think)

Thanks!

Has anybody found a fix for the dying ethernet on Leopard? I can get the ethernet to work, but it dies after an hour, so I have been using wifi only to avoid the problem.

Mine works, but dies if alot of data flows through it. I haven't noticed a time limit.

71 0 0x2e340000 0x6000 0x5000 com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet (1.2.0) <67 17 6 5 4 2>

Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for posting your results here. I'm kind of new to this hackintosh stuff, so your help is really appreciated! Now I'm in doubt about which version of the installer shall I download? Which one gives the best results?

My XPS M1210 is configured as follows:

- Core2 Duo T5600 CPU

- NVidia GeForce Go 7400

- 3 GB RAM (DDR2-667, 1x1 GB - 1x2 GB)

- 60 GB SATA HDD (clean, not the disk that came with the laptop)

- IPW 3945ABG (AFAIK this wifi card will not work... am I right?)

- Webcam (the Logitech/Dell one)

- Internal Dell 355 Bluetooth (BCM2045)

- Sigmatel 9220 (I think)

Thanks!

If you are looking for something to do it all, I'm afraid there isn't a one stop installer. iATKOS is nice, be sure to boot with cpus=1 on first boot after install, and use the previously quoted string installer in this thread (just a few back, by me) to make your video work properly. You will also need the 9220 codec dump to patch AppleHDA . On install, check the broadcom 44x drivers so that your ethernet works.

I have no idea how to make the camera work, and I don't have bluetooth. That wifi card will not work. Go order the other wifi from ebay, i think it runs around US$10 shipped, It works like a charm, very easy to install physically also.

Don't expect to have both cores working, but if you can get them to, that's just more icing on the cake :)

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I've been trying to get the go7400 to 1280x800 for a while, and I am pretty sure i've tried every suggestion on this topic on how to get it to work, but it's been all failures for me so far to get past 1024x768.

I used the Leo4All3 install 10.5.2 install, then used mysticus 10.5.3 update, and now using the 9.3 kernel. I did the dell package install, which got ethernet and my dell 1500 working again. Using the AppleHDApatcher worked perfectly to get sound working.

But, the video, I'm almost pulling my hair with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone mind posting their working KEXT or tell me what GFX string they are using.

I was just wondering, has anyone updated to 10.5.4 through the apple update? I used Mysticus 10.5.4 update, and then installed the 9.4 Modbin kernel for one of my previous installs and it seemed to be working fine. I am just leaving it at 10.5.3 for now until I get the video at 1280x800.

*EDIT*

Okay, I got it fixed, I switched from Leo4All3 to Kalyway 10.5.2, and now everything is working great. Updated to 10.5.4. So it's all good so far.

Hello everyone,

I am currently running my m1210 with Leopard 10.5.2 with everything fully working except for dual core and track pad scrolling. After installing with Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd - I had wireless, Ethernet, power management, and boot with cpus=1, and sleep fully working. Then- using the upcoming steps- I was able to synchronize my clock, fix the sound, and have a fully working video card with dual display functioning- (GeForce Go 7400)

The following are the steps one needs to follow in order to get the same build.

Download the following:

1. Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd (torrent)

2. NvInject 0.2.0 installer from NvInject webpage - http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

3. Info.plist from theraven post#402 (Jan 13, 2008) of this tutorial

4. Xcode from apple developer tools; you'll need to register with apple- you need it in order to have Property List Editor - http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

5. AppleHDAPatcher_v1.12.zip patch and the sigmatel9221.txt file found on the first page of this tutorial.

10.5.2 Installation Steps:

First I installed Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd with the following options.

1. Kernels- select all of them (probably unnecessary, but it works)

2. Graphics drivers- none; you'll install NvInjectGo later.

3. Audio- default options

4. *Network- default options. (works only for 1505, not 3945)

5. Patches- Select powermangement_bundle; boot with cpus=1; timemachine fix (timemachine not tested though)

6. Third party applications- I'm not sure all of them will actually install; VLC did work though.

*Please note that only the 1505 wireless card will work with this install. The Intel 3945 wireless card will not be detected using these default network drivers.

After install, graphics will be blurry (have not installed drivers yet), but sleep, power manangement, Ethernet, single core, and wireless should be working (except if you have an Intel 3945 card).

First, lets get the sound working and the clock synchronized.

Sound:

"Unzip the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.12.zip, then drag the sigmatel9221.txt file into the AppleHDAPatcher icon, authenticate, patch and restart"

Clock:

"Set the correct time in Windows, restart, then just uncheck 'Set date & time automatically' (in OS X) and set the time zone so it will match the real time and date. Your time zone will be wrong, but the date and time will be correct."

Go to terminal and get into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and modify it to look like the following.

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC fsb=166</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Graphics Card (with dual display functioning)- instructions for 7400 card

Now here is the part that is going to be the most interest to most of you - as I know most people have had trouble with getting their card to work along with dual display. Please note that these instructions are intended only for users with the GeForce Go 7400 and no other graphics cards. If you have another card, look to the following guides for help and to find your proper NVCAP.

I found the instructions in this guide- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry786743.

This guide also helped to learn more about NvCap's- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...103549&st=0

1. Go to /system/library/extensions/NVDAResman.kext/contents/ and open up info.plist using Property List Editor (install xcode first- plist editor is part of the package).

In that list of items, go to the following: IOKitPersonalities-->NVidiaRMPCIMatch-->IOPCIPrimary Match and add the device ID (0x01d010de) to the front of the value line (right click and select "show raw keys / values" if you cannot see any values)

The value should look like this when finished "0x01d010de 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff......."

2. Go to /system/library/extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext/contents and open up info.plist using Property List Editor again.

In that list of items, go to the following: IOKitPersonalities-->NVidiaRM-->IOPCIPrimaryMatch and add the device ID the same way we did in the previous step.

It should look like this when its finished "0x01d010de 0x004010de&0xfff0ffff....."

3. Use the NVInjectGo 0.2.0 installer to painlessly install the graphic drivers.

4. Replace the info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext/Contents/ with the one posted by theraven (post#402; Jan 13, 2008).

To my knowledge, he simply modified the NvInjectGo NVCap with the necessary one, which is:

04010101 00000d00 0e000000 00000000 00000000.

(The NVCAP value field can be found in IOKITPersonalities-->NVInjectGo-->entries to add-->NVCAP)

5. Then, in the same info.plist file, add the device ID to IOKITPersonalities-->NVInjectGo-->IOPCIMatch

It should look like this "0x01d010de 0x000010de&0x0000ffff"

6. Still in the same plist, replace the IOProbeScore number by 0. (it can be found directly under IOPCIMatch)

7. Launch terminal and type

sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

reboot

Troubleshooting- Graphics Card

When reboot is finished, the graphics should be very crisp and clear with full 1280x800 resolution. Connect an external monitor and detect display to test. 
Please note that if you detect an external display and then you disconnect it in order to switch back to a single monitor- you have to go to sleep and recover from sleep before you can reconnect and detect your external monitor again.

If you detect the external monitor and then disconnect and use single monitor mode, your monitors will crash and you will be forced to reboot if you try detecting the external monitor again without going to sleep and recovering first. I don't know why this is. See this page for more information- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103549

Summation

Now you should have everything working except for dual core and track pad. I have not heard of any fixes for the track pad, but would love it if someone could come up with a fix. As for dual core, I tried following Ulysses' method of booting without cpus=1 and then going to sleep and recovering to activate both cores, but it only worked once. It worked the first time I tried it, but I was not able to even boot into leopard again without cpus=1.

Things still needed (but may not be possible yet)

1. Dual core (looking for a better method than the unreliable "recover from sleep method")

2. Track pad (?)

3. Updating to 10.5.4 (a proven method and set of steps to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4). I am going to attempt to do this soon and I'll post my results after trying.

This is my contribution to the project and thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far! :)

Regards,

-IceSpyder81