The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

Hector,

Does that EFI Update make any of the hardware work better? have you noticed any improvements in your system other than the ability to update? does your sleep work by any chance? I know its a long shot, but I'm still hopeful

Nope, I only got as far as booting up with the dual core enabled but it was very laggy and not snappy. Felt like running on a freaking P1.

The only thing I noticed is that graphics are a little faster but I think that is due to the fact that I upgraded. The only real benefit is that you dont have to wait for patched kernels to be able to upgrade.

I was also told that you could NOT enable dual core on dells for some reason on the IRC channel. Did not say why though.

:D

OMFG I JUST GOT SLEEP WORKING ON MY M1210

I CAN PUT IT TO SLEEP FROM THE MENU AND FROM THE POWER BUTTON

JUST ADD THE FILE BELOW.

Please note that I am running 10.5.1 Update From Apple Using EFI V5

IM SO HAPPY!! ALMOST THERE!!!

Hector coud you told us what method did you use to install Leopard?

I have a patched iso, based in the 9a581 GM, but on the installation i get a panic after BSD loads. I am trying to install in a external HD (many posting no problem at all).

DELL xps 1210, vista (no tiger before)

Jose

I installed the ToH Leopard version. I did a regular install removing the printer drivers and the language files since I don't need extra languages.

Once I the system is rebooted I leave the DVD rom in the drive boot into the install DVD again and open the terminal and run this command.

/usr/misc/script.sh VOLNAME

I then close the terminal one more time. Open the disk utility application and unmount the VOLNAME

I open the terminal once more and run the following commands.

/usr/misc/script.sh VOLNAME

reboot

I then remove the DVD from the drive and boot into Leopard.

Copy over the patched AppleHDA.kext and the IONetworkingFamily.kext add the PowerManagement.bundle and fix permissions and reboot.

After everything is nice and working In install EFI v5 and upgrade my system to with the Apple upgrader application.

I don't have much time to go into detail but you need anything let me know.

Hey there. Thank you for providing me with that useful information. I have actually re-installed the Leopard system and like you said moved my archived copy of the AppleHDA.kext into the Leopard Extensions folder fixed the permissions and rebooted. Sound was then available to my system.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to the built in network adapter on the laptop since when I follow the instructions in the beginning of this page leopard complains about a "*.kext" not installed correctly.

:(

I will let you know how that goes after I get this and the power management to show up correctly.

Thanks.

In order for the Ethernet to work in Leo you have to exchange the complete IONet--.kext instead of just the 440...kext part. Works great once you done it. Have to do it again when upgrade to 10.5.1, after the EFI patch!

OK, so I have verified that the Dell 1490 card works in the WWAN slot in Windows. Guess I just have to figure out how to get it enabled in OS X. Anyone have an answer for me on the code question that I posted about what I need to put in the IO80211 kext file for the Dell 1490 card?

KingTKS -- my notebook has 2 antenna leads (one white and one black) for the WLAN card slot and 2 antenna leads (also one white and one black) for the WWAN card slot. They were just laying in there with little plastic protective sleeves over the connector ends. Guess I answered my own question on this one, but thanks for the input.

so to put both 3945 for windows and 1490 for osx, im gonna need antenna for WWAN which is only included if i have A/V package right?

i dont have A/V package so my only option will be either 1390 or 1490

if so, which one is better in performance wise other than 1390 only for b/g, and 1490 is for a/b/g

searched, but couldnt really find good answer on which card is better

thanx!

hmm.. if you recover from sleep both cores work without problems. since im using the pc efi stuff, safe sleep seems to work most of the time so i think i will keep my lap in a state of perpetual sleep. :wacko: instead of shutting down ill sleep it and disconnect all power. When it boots again it can copy back the contents of the ram

how did u guys install PC_EFI V5.2?

i cant get it installed.. keep getting panic..

if you guys dont mind, please let me know step by step how to install..

i installed leopard, then did /usr/misc/script.sh xxxxx then patched it.. well.. i searched, there are few method, and none of them works but panic.....!

thanx!

how do you even get it to boot into dual core. Do you do the cpus=2 thing. or what.

I managed to get it working once but I forget exactly how. :D

If you don't put an option it should take both cores, but also if you put cpus=2

Hey guys first time posting.

I Got Leopard installed using the ToH disk. Wondering if anyone could tell me how to get the proper resolution and vid card support going. I was reading that Titan and Natit or whatever its called were not working. thanks in advance for your time.

Also, i copied over the patched AppleHDA to get audio but when i restart its giving me an error saying its improperly installed. I put it in the extensions folder. I dont know how to configure permissions this is my first time in OSX, thanks again.

**Update**: I used the instructions on the first page to get the audio working and then i used the new version of NVinject for leopard only and that seems to be now working aswell

Is ToH the only option for m1210? I've been trying BrazilMac patches on a Leopard DVD and get "Operating System Missing" after the install and the post patching (though I am probably doing the post patching wrong...how do you edit the .sh file?)...would love to get my m1210 up and running but would prefer to use my own leopard install disk rather than downloading a torrent...any ideas?

One of the things about the BrazilMAC method is that the Disk Utility have the same problem as the ToH DVD, if you erase your partition with working 10.4.8-11 you have better chances of booting.

Also you can apply the same boot patch script of the ToH DVD to a BrazilMAC installation.

Well, after a fresh install, I still cannot disable sleep on my laptop. I have done everything I could think of but I just cant get it. I have even installed insomniac, a program that disables sleep, but that didn't work either. I have been able to change the sleep settings on the power adapter but not on the battery. everytime I change it, it changes back to default settings. I have also downloaded a new powermanagement.bundle with no results.

Are there any other files that have something to do with my problem? am i the only one here with this problem?

I have tried the BrazilMac version and the Toh version and get the same results. I have been installing the PowerManagement.bundle using the instructions on the first page.

can anyone post their working powermanagement.bundle so I can try it? It would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in getting the Dell Internal WWAN mini-card working using Apple's WWAN Support please contact me. If I get any replies to this post I will follow-up with a procedure, it's really easy to do. I currently have the Dell 5720 Mini-card working and at one time I hade the 5700 model and got it working as well.

I may not check this post for awhile so please email me if you do not hear a response right away: wwan-support@askicc.com.

After i installed the pc efi i removed all modifications from my apple.boot.plist. So i dont specify cpus=2. For me even before recovering from sleep both cores work fine unless the load is high so i sleep it while its ok and then recover. Before i installed pc efi i used to press the power button and then press s (to sleep) at the login screen because the mouse is unusable.

I am loading pc efi with grub, in case that matters...