The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

To answer my own questions, and a solution for putting the computer to sleep after booting :::

First:

do I need to use the fsb=166 in my kernel flags (I noticed that ulysses didn't write that he did this??

I still don't know but it sounds great so whatever...

Second:

When I try to boot dual core with cpus=2 it reboots constantly (probably the sig error ulysses was talking about)

Is there anything I can do for this, so that both cores are working?

I want to try the sleep thing... but I can't boot....

I tried up to cpus=4096 (well it felt like it). Everything I tried worked the first time (after switching

the cpus to dual) and afterwards... I kept getting the sigfpe error.

I wrote a startup service to put the computer to sleep, because it was a pain in certain nether

regions trying to get it to sleep otherwise.

This is at the bottom of this message..

Third:

I have seen somewhere else an answer to this, but after searching for it for a long time ... I couldn't find it again.

I plug the laptop into my wired network.

Everything works for like 4 minutes maybe less.... then it stops.

I try the diagnostics and it sees all the way to isp... but nothing after that.

Does anyone know what this is?

I didn't replace the 440 broadcom kext... DOH!

From the First page of this thread.

Fourth:

3945@%&

I have seen the iwi drivers on google code (by Ja...) but it seems that anyone who uses them ends up making

their machine unbootable.

Has ANYONE gotten these drivers to work for the 3945 card?

After researching further... it seems that some people are able to get limited functionality out of the

3945... but most people just blow up their machines.

SOOOOOoooo I am passing for now.

=============================================================================

=============================================================================

Ok, I tried replying to my own message but for some reason it won't let me... it just attaches it to

the previous message....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A sleep service for startup.

Ok, so I know from various posts,

that if you put your computer to sleep (if running in multi-cpu)

then when it wakes then both cpus will be blazing.

I couldn't get it to sleep after booting

(which by the way only works the first time I boot...

every othertime I get the sigfpe error).

So, I wrote a start up service:

in /Library/StartupItems

I created a directory called SleepInit

Which has two files with properties of 755 (chmod) and owner root:wheel

File 1: StartupParameters.plist

{

Description = "Go to sleep to sync core duo";

Provides = ("SleepInit");

Requires = ( );

Uses = ( );

OrderPreference = "Last";

}

File 2: SleepInit

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

StartService ()

{

ConsoleMessage "put Baby to Sleep"

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to sleep'

}

StopService ()

{

ConsoleMessage "sleepinit doesn't get stopped"

}

RestartService()

{

ConsoleMessage "No reason to restart sleepinit"

}

RunService "$1"

that should do it..

It puts the computer to sleep after everything has loaded.

I am not so sure that this is a good idea, running it last.

Maybe, it should be put to sleep before X-windows are loaded.

Well, being a complete and total n00b, I just made it run last.

And, it works most of the time.

Sometimes my computer will freeze after a minute or two.

Oh, and you have to wait for all your usb devices to reload.

(which is why I am thinking it should be in another place).

Well, whatever...

I am not going to refine it, because I can't get OSX to boot with both cpus

consistantly (or rather more than once).

Peace :D

so i reinstalled my OSX and got the self boot to work without the cd in the drive...

but now when i copy the batterybundle file i can replace it and when i did add it to the fold and restart the computer to still doesnt show help please... once i get this working then the laptop is perfect... thanks

so i reinstalled my OSX and got the self boot to work without the cd in the drive...

but now when i copy the batterybundle file i can replace it and when i did add it to the fold and restart the computer to still doesnt show help please... once i get this working then the laptop is perfect... thanks

did you do the chmod and chown commands as outlined in the guide? Did you then do "repair permissions" from disk utility for your OS X disk?

I am going to buy the dell wireless card, but which one should I buy? The 1490 or the 1390? Or some other one? I would like to order it very soon, so help would be appreciated. Also, is the instalation easy? Thanks a lot for the help!

I just installed the 1490 and it worked perfectly. I just booted up and there it was. The Airport card is listed as "Third Party Wireless Card".

I got the Dell 1390 wifi card like everyone suggested, and now I boot up and the airport card bar thing shows up. The problem is it wont let me turn the airport on!

Apparently the problem is not uncommon but all solutions I have seen haven't worked.

Here is my networkinterfaces.plist because I know that is often the root of the problem:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABXFRUvM

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIE@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/AppleBCM440XEthernet/IOEthernetInterface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>Ethernet</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABSltUmW

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP02@1C,1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/PXS2@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/AirPort_Brcm43xxInterface</string>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>fw0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<integer>144</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

Qk/AADLkvUE=

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PCIE@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/CRD0@1/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireLocalNode/IOFireWireIP/IOFWInterface</string>

<string>FireWire</string>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

See anything there that would explain it? Or know another solution? Thanks

use nvinject drivers. they work at least as good if not better for me than natit. and they have a nice installator as well. just google for nvinject and you will find it. get the 2.0 nvinject go drivers. hope this helps

Tried every imaginable flavor from here

http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/

No go. Even doctor the info.plist, trash all the related kext such as ABDmouse/trackpad etc and combination of all! The only thing that seem to help a little bit is DELETING the Glide Trackpad part in the info.plist of the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.

With all and I mean ALL the Natit or Titan related kext the resolution is fantastic and the response to clicking is Superb. But there seems to be a delayed input using the Trackpad. Useless USB mouse.

My question is how come using a WACOM Graphire Pad and mouse pose no similar problem?

What is the inherent conflict induced by the Natit type kext?

I am running 10.5.1 on a dell xps m1210

I have tried the section for Ethernet Broadcom 440x several times, including copying a pre-patched version of IONetworkingFamily.kext into the extensions folder. Everytime I get an error with the new kext file, and of course no network connection.

Also, the Dell 1390 wireless is supposed to work perfectly with no config. I purchased a Dell 1390 mini-card and installed it. The bios recognizes the card just fine, but in mac os it doesn't see any wireless cards.

I am running 10.5.1 on a dell xps m1210

I have tried the section for Ethernet Broadcom 440x several times, including copying a pre-patched version of IONetworkingFamily.kext into the extensions folder. Everytime I get an error with the new kext file, and of course no network connection.

Also, the Dell 1390 wireless is supposed to work perfectly with no config. I purchased a Dell 1390 mini-card and installed it. The bios recognizes the card just fine, but in mac os it doesn't see any wireless cards.

If you use Kalyway your Ethernet should work right off. Otherwise you will have to copy the 440xxx.kext extracted from a patched IOnetxxx.kext as opposed to using the whole kext. If you are getting blah@%$#cannot use kext error you must not be introducing the kext properly. There is section on that. You need to know it cold if you want to keep on "Hacking".

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=229

As far as wireless goes, I use engenius USB 'N' adapter. Work with PC, & x86. You can get it from newegg for under $40. 1390 is a step back from what we have in m1210.

Good luck

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16833168035

I notice the price went up since I wrote the review that it work in Leopard <sig>

You will need to use the Ralink Driver instead of the Datacom

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

This driver works with Leopard. The cheapest mac compatible 'N' adapter out there.

Hi guys,

This is my first hackintosh, new to this but this form has been a huge help,

I got my m1210 up and running 10.4.6 with dual core support, wireless (through usb adapter), and headphone sound (good enough for me),

I am having problems finding the installer for my nvidia 7400, I need 3d support. The link in SeaDonkey's original post is dead. I have looked at the NATIT form but I don't see an installer; just manual install files.

Can anyone help me find the universal NATIT, installer? Or at least point me the right direction.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

This is my first hackintosh, new to this but this form has been a huge help,

I got my m1210 up and running 10.4.6 with dual core support, wireless (through usb adapter), and headphone sound (good enough for me),

I am having problems finding the installer for my nvidia 7400, I need 3d support. The link in SeaDonkey's original post is dead. I have looked at the NATIT form but I don't see an installer; just manual install files.

Can anyone help me find the universal NATIT, installer? Or at least point me the right direction.

Thanks!

This is the link to patch folder by Brazil for Leopard. Natit.kext is in the extension folder.

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008

Hi r1shot,

I downloaded the linked file; there was nothing named Natit.kext in any of the directories including extensions;

also where in my system would I put Natit.kext if I did find it?

Sorry wrong link. This one will do for all Natit and related kext.

http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

It should go into Extensions folder System/Library/--

See my other post for kext loading info or

http://osx86scene.com/

Sorry wrong link. This one will do for all Natit and related kext.

http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

It should go into Extensions folder System/Library/--

See my other post for kext loading info or

http://osx86scene.com/

Thanks r1shot;

quick question though;

So nvinject and Natit are the same?

sorry im just a little confused.

Hi,

I just purchased a dell 1490 wireless card for my m1210, since the intel 3495abg doesnt work basically. I was wondering if I could just plug the 1490 into my WWAN slot instead of removing my intel card which is plugged into the WLAN slot. Does it even matter which slot its in?

If you use Kalyway your Ethernet should work right off. Otherwise you will have to copy the 440xxx.kext extracted from a patched IOnetxxx.kext as opposed to using the whole kext. If you are getting blah@%$#cannot use kext error you must not be introducing the kext properly. There is section on that. You need to know it cold if you want to keep on "Hacking".

As far as wireless goes, I use engenius USB 'N' adapter. Work with PC, & x86. You can get it from newegg for under $40. 1390 is a step back from what we have in m1210.

Good luck

As far as installing the ethernet, according to this guide you NEED to patch the 440xxx.kext within IOnetxxx.kext. I know this and followed the guide to the letter but it is giving an error that it cannot use the 440xxx.kext.

As far as the wireless goes, the guide specifically states the Dell 1390 wireless should work with no config. Why are you suggesting I get another card if this one is the card most other members are using just fine. Also you said it is a "step back from what we have in m1210". As far as I know it is one of the two options that were availible for the m1210 direct from Dell. The other being the Intel Pro wireless which I replaced because everyone says there is no way to make it work.

As far as installing the ethernet, according to this guide you NEED to patch the 440xxx.kext within IOnetxxx.kext. I know this and followed the guide to the letter but it is giving an error that it cannot use the 440xxx.kext.
if you are still getting !@#$ cannot use xxx.kext error code then you must not be loading it correctly. There is a forum on checking the kext loaded or not.
As far as the wireless goes, the guide specifically states the Dell 1390 wireless should work with no config. Why are you suggesting I get another card if this one is the card most other members are using just fine. Also you said it is a "step back from what we have in m1210". As far as I know it is one of the two options that were availible for the m1210 direct from Dell. The other being the Intel Pro wireless which I replaced because everyone says there is no way to make it work.
1390 is a Dinosaur and will require installation. Usb adapter, the future especially the one I mentioned, mac compatible is here.
Thanks r1shot;quick question though;So nvinject and Natit are the same?sorry im just a little confused.
All popular video related .kext for nVidia are modified from either Natit or Titan. IMO they work great givng the native resolution but srew up your track pad and usb mouse function.

OK, I've been a lurker for almost a year. I've installed OSX on my m1210 off and on with mixed results each time.

I've boiled it down to a few basics:

If you have audio issues: add the fsb string in the com.apple.Boot.plist and use the AppleHDAPatcher with the Sigmatel.txt

example:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC fsb=133</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I use 133 b/c I have 4200 RAM (533mHz) if you use the 667mHz use 166 for you fsb value.

If you are having issues with your Dell card: change the en0 and the 0 values in the NetworkInterfaces.plist

example:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

Both of these plists are found in: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

And most obvious to me, DON'T use the software updates to update to 10.4.9 or anything above that. Use pre-hacked versions found on torrents and such.

Those work solidly for certain.

OK, I've been a lurker for almost a year. I've installed OSX on my m1210 off and on with mixed results each time.

I've boiled it down to a few basics:

If you have audio issues: add the fsb string in the com.apple.Boot.plist and use the AppleHDAPatcher with the Sigmatel.txt

example:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC fsb=133</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I use 133 b/c I have 4200 RAM (533mHz) if you use the 667mHz use 166 for you fsb value.

If you are having issues with your Dell card: change the en0 and the 0 values in the NetworkInterfaces.plist

example:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

Both of these plists are found in: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

And most obvious to me, DON'T use the software updates to update to 10.4.9 or anything above that. Use pre-hacked versions found on torrents and such.

Those work solidly for certain.

Looks like a variation of using single CPU.

which version patcher which sig text dump? Will it stop the 'choppy' output issue with the v1.5 patcher and A1 dump?

Thanks for the info.

I finally got my dell 1390 today, plugged it in and everything works perfectly, I have no problem with wireless. As I booted into leopard, the airport turned itself on and started working right away. Now I have an almost perfectly working system, but only using one core with cpus=1. The last problem is that my time between windows and mac os differs by 6 hours every time I boot into the other system. Any advice?

1390 is a Dinosaur and will require installation. Usb adapter, the future especially the one I mentioned, mac compatible is here.

You are saying it will require installation but everyone else is saying it works right out of the box.

I finally got my dell 1390 today, plugged it in and everything works perfectly, I have no problem with wireless. As I booted into leopard, the airport turned itself on and started working right away.

I don't understand why my system is not working perfectly and turning on the airport feature as mm2ha is saying. It is the same system and same card. Shouldn't my system also be working without "installation"? Is there some simple setting I might have missed?

I can't get the power management working. I have a m1210 using the Kalyway install method. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

*edit* Power management works with Kalyway 10.5.1 after a few tricks. However I still have no luck after putting the laptop to sleep. It doesn't wake up.

I can't get the power management working. I have a m1210 using the Kalyway install method. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

*edit* Power management works with Kalyway 10.5.1 after a few tricks. However I still have no luck after putting the laptop to sleep. It doesn't wake up.

Same boat here with same install source. Got power management working but I can't get the 1210 to wake from sleep so that the cores sync up.

I also notice the only way I can boot w/ both cores enabled is to set the boot flag cpus= (some even number different than last boot) and it'll boot with some choppiness in the GUI. I have tried using the fsb=166 flag and it doesn't affect choppiness (I have 667 RAM).

If I could just get it to wake from sleep I'd be golden . . .

I can't get the power management working. I have a m1210 using the Kalyway install method. Any help would greatly be appreciated.*edit* Power management works with Kalyway 10.5.1 after a few tricks. However I still have no luck after putting the laptop to sleep. It doesn't wake up.
what graphic card do you have? I have the intel 945, I run kalway, cant wake up from sleep. can it have something to do with that?
If I remember correctly I had the same sleep problem until I switched from natit to nvinject.
but the nvinjet is only for the go 7400 card and not the intel?