HOW TO: Installing 10.4.3 in VMWare

DeathChill

216 posts in this topic

JaS, Nice idea. So before the panic, there is no "Starting Darwin/x86"? In the video I see "Loading Darwin/x86", followed by the loading of the kexts into kernel space, but not the last display message from the boot loader saying "Starting Darwin/x86". (Sorry if this redundant question, but it's hard to handle different issues all at once.) If this last message does not get displayed it might indicate that you're stuck in the boot loader.

Yes your correct not starting darwin.Only loading darwin/x86 and then the kexts loading into kernel space.One there done i get the panic.And its not rebundant I totaly understand that you have to ask as many times as you need to to try and get the right info to figure out why it panics on my cpu and not on one that has the DX option.

I really appreciate everything your doing to help us get this working.It looks like 10.4.3 will need patches for cpus without sse3 and also without the NX option.

I was talking more with working on the individual files. I already did the hex workshop thing.

Just patched the mach_kernel on the ISO and it booted with a new kernel dump. One second and I'll post the image.

[EDIT] You boot from DVD right?. This "hfs_mountboot failed" sounds bad. Probably a messed up DVD/ISO.

From the kernel source: In nfs_mountroot:

nfs_mountroot() {
error = nfs_boot_init(&nd, procp);
if (error) {
	panic("nfs_boot_init failed with %d\n", error);
}

the error you get is 6, ENXIO "Device not configured". So kernel tries to use hfs (DVD) which fails, and the network nfs, which also fails due to missing configuration. This results in a panic. I think the root cause is messed up DVD.

Maxxuss - built a new image and started over. I may try burning it to DVD to see if it makes a difference but its doing the same thing.

What's the MD5 on the DMG/ISO? I will check to make sure I don't have a bad file to begin with.

md5:

10.4.3_8f1099_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg:

daf72f000bd860360ae494d915058af6

10.4.3_8f1099_for_dtk_userdvd.iso (converted via UltraISO; with my boot loader patch applied (3 times)):

ce067e8b2ffb418ae529a354f8e78d16

we should start making a guide or the wiki or something maybee, one for native and one for vmware :)

i assume native will most likely be working on a gma900 first.

also, this would be usefull, because it is a little hard to follow (mostley cause of ppl's stupidity) cause to be honest people shouild be able to figure out how to do native insted of vmware, but hopefully we get to pages on the wiki, to make things easier

For legal reasons and just for the simplicity of talking with each other, I would suggest that this discussion take place on IRC!

Chatting is much easier than posting on a forum in a situation like this.

nah, I'd just suggest that everyone interested in working on this join IRC to discuss it. This thread is on the borderline and could become legally troublesome later on.

But besides that, IRC just makes it easier to talk!

No offence, but I have gone to IRC and all there are are kids the will butt in and ask things aleady common knowledge, absolutely no structure and not everyone can save logs unless they are on it 24/7 to actually log the important and rubbish communications. Sorry to put a damper on the idea about my oppinion about IRC.

edit: is there a way to be able to create a place where those who actually know what they are done, join the room. I mean a room not open to the public.

domino - while that's true, that's why we 1) create a special channel for advanced people like you and 2) kick people out of those channels who aren't helping.

But feel free to also post things in this forum. IRC is just in real time.

It seems to be the consensus on IRC that it is the TPM and now the new NX requirement that is holding everyone back from installing it.

The NX thing is very interesting. It appears that only AMD processors and the latest Intel processors have it.

It seems to be the consensus on IRC that it is the TPM and now the new NX requirement that is holding everyone back from installing it.

The NX thing is very interesting. It appears that only AMD processors and the latest Intel processors have it.

I am sorry, but what is the NX thing???

@sportman, will hollar at you after the game (double header today). You know me and b-ball :)

About NX, yes, thats a damper on just about a majority of users including myself. But I think thats a good target and a great leap when the experts knock down that wall.