ALC88x 10.4.8 Kext

skippyretard

483 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I updated my system to 10.4.8 and tried the HDA patch for ALC883.

Before back with the old kernel, I was getting sound from my internal speakers only through

the AppleAzalia.kext by adding the device id into the plist.

Now with the new kernel, when I install the AppleHDA for ALC883, i only get

sound from the headphone jack.

I tried the kernel dump method and the patch recognized the internal speakers

however again with only sound output from the headphone jack.

Is it possbile and if so how to get sound From both my Internal Speakers and the Headphone jack

thorugh selection from the Sound Menu?

Thanks.

Here is the screensho with the ALC883.pkg installed

post-11488-1172869705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eskurza

Skippy, I truly am a RETARD. I tried your ALC883 package before and it didn't work for me, but after delving deeper and now understanding the problem with kernels etc etc (just over a month on OSX86), I confirm that I now have working 5.1 on analog jacks. In fact, I even have an extra Line-Out output slider under Sound Prefs, so I prolly have digital out working without a way to test it. What I can't figure out is how to make my stereo music in iTunes to play in all 5 channels... is it even possible? Can iTunes in OSX do this? I played around with Sound Prefs and I can send the stereo channels to all of my stereo line-outs (front, rear, center/sub), but choosing Aggregate Device only sends it to my front speakers. I've already set all 3 streams to 16-bit and I can confirm that they all work and are properly assigned to their respective speakers. Line-In and Built-In Mic work too, but I keep the Mic muted.

All in all, great work! I could've made it work earlier if I wasn't such a dumb noob :) I'm going to check Audio MIDI Setup again later after a reboot to see if it holds the Aggregate Device Speaker Setup, I think that's the problem that why I can only hear iTunes through the front speakers.

Some pics:

No use sending system alerts and sound effects to all 6 channels... the front speakers suffice.

post-77533-1172917030_thumb.png

Count them... 4 stereo channels! Aggregate Device sends 3 streams for 5.1!

post-77533-1172917227_thumb.png

Inputs also working well, although I don't have any use for the Built-In Mic... TV audio currently streaming through Line-In :)

post-77533-1172917329_thumb.png

Audio Midi Setup soon to be tackled... again.

Ok, I rebooted and checked again... Audio MIDI Setup indeed does not save my 5.1 Aggregate Device Setting. Does anyone else have this problem? I've set every device to 44KHz 2ch-16bit, and matched the streams to their channels, applied, done. Quitting Audio MIDI Setup and starting it up reveals that my Aggregate Device is back to Stereo. Is this a bug or incompatibility? I'm sooo close to 5.1! :):D:wacko:

Hi, I have Higabyte DS3 mobo with ALC883 chip, but I can`t get the 6-channel sound working.

Stereo works fine, 6 channel works during calibration, but the Apply button won`t actually do anything. Itunes still works in stereo, and when I go back to audio setup I see Stereo in settings, not Multichannel. Any Idea what it could be?

Looks like I have a similar problem with Laik.

LAST EDIT:

Audio MIDI Setup doesn't seem to save the settings but it does, VLC player properly decodes 5.1 tracks from DVDs. Truly, I am a retard. Thanks for your work Skippy! :)

Edited by Zulu.Walker

Hey guys,

I updated my system to 10.4.8 and tried the HDA patch for ALC883.

Before back with the old kernel, I was getting sound from my internal speakers only through

the AppleAzalia.kext by adding the device id into the plist.

Now with the new kernel, when I install the AppleHDA for ALC883, i only get

sound from the headphone jack.

I tried the kernel dump method and the patch recognized the internal speakers

however again with only sound output from the headphone jack.

Is it possbile and if so how to get sound From both my Internal Speakers and the Headphone jack

thorugh selection from the Sound Menu?

Thanks.

Here is the screensho with the ALC883.pkg installed

post-11488-1172869705_thumb.jpg

Same problem here. I installed 10.4.8 and ALC883Audio (i have ALC833 chip) with the 3 ports options, but only recognizes the headphone port. wtf? :(

EDIT

Solved by selecting 6 ports during the installation. But now if i plug the headphones, the speakers are not muted. I have to select the headphones from the sound properties, in order to mute the speakers and make the headphones to work. Guessing that this is not the normal behaviour...

Edited by gkr41

maybe silly but .... can be configured the driver (for alc883) to have a proper name for out-put - like front rear, center... bla bla ?

It is just a question - and I do apreciate the hard work for getting the driver working !

Edited by tokra128

hi guys,

i have a ALC880 ICH6 audio chip and after the installation my strings for the IOHDAudioCodecVendorID and IOPCIPrimaryMatch in AppleAzaliaAudio.kext are correct. when i set the 0x26688086 string for IOPCIPrimaryMatch in AppleHDA.kext i still have no sound.

can someone help me please?

For all the guru sound peoples from here.... Ok, I was a intel D945GNTD sigmatel possesor...until yesterday ... reading this thread, I have understand that alc 883 can give 5.1 output.. tired to make my sigmatel 92220 to work, and tired to hear strange sounds on my soundblaster live usb .. I have go to a shop and I have buy a Asus P5L 1394 mainboard with 945P chipset (ich 7 + alc 883 sound). I have reinstalled OSX, and I have installed the patch driver from this thread (for alc 883, of course). My new mb have on back only 3 connectors (pink green and lime) All I get is .. stereo .. and I am disperated ... I have choose at install 3 out-puts .. If I choose 6 output-s (when I install the driver) i can see 3 line-out .. I have created the agregate device

power up vlc .. but no sound at all.... not even stereo .. can some one help-me ? please ?!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tokra128

Hey everybody. I have a Compal HEL81 Notebook (CoreDuo, GMA950, ALC883) and the driver works perfectly on this notebook (except for a pop noise when a sound will start being played).

Anyway, I can't find any kernel that will support Sleep from 10.4.8 on (haven't tested 10.4.9 yet), but on 10.4.6, sleep works as it does on a real Macintosh.

But if I use 10.4.6, I can't use the ALC883 drivers. Is there any way to make the driver work on the 10.4.6 kernel?

Thanks a bunch in advance !

Carlos

Hey everybody. I have a Compal HEL81 Notebook (CoreDuo, GMA950, ALC883) and the driver works perfectly on this notebook (except for a pop noise when a sound will start being played).

Anyway, I can't find any kernel that will support Sleep from 10.4.8 on (haven't tested 10.4.9 yet), but on 10.4.6, sleep works as it does on a real Macintosh.

But if I use 10.4.6, I can't use the ALC883 drivers. Is there any way to make the driver work on the 10.4.6 kernel?

Thanks a bunch in advance !

Carlos

I'm sorry, I meant 10.4.7 instead of 10.4.8. If I use .7, the notebook sleeps and all that, but the ALC883 audio won't work. If I use .8, sleep crashes and ALC883 work.

Is there a way to use the ALC883 driver on a 10.4.7 Kernel?

TIA.

Carlos

This one worked for me. I've been strugging for over a month to make my audio work. Downloading and installing this file did the trick.

Thanks

Regards

Gyveri

Foxconn 915GL7MC-8KS MB

Intel Celeron 331D

Realtek ALC880 Audio

JaS 10.4.8 with patches to make Ethernet and audio to work

It is working, at last for me, 10.4.9 with kernel 8.9.1 - but, what so ever, I cannot get more that stereo !!!! If somebody can help-me to get that 5.1 I put the linux dump for my card (my mb is a asus P5L 1394, alc 883, 945P chipset). Hope to see a sunshine in here, since I was unnable to find master Skippyretard or Taruga on the chat room !

mycodec.txt

hi, i got the alc883 working on my generic laptop. sound is working fine. now, when i choose the line out as my default sound output, the sound goes out from there, but when i try to plug in my headphone on the headphone jack, nothing comes out of it. sound just continues to go out of the line out jack. now i chose the headphone jack as the default sound output, the sound comes out of there, but no sound comes out of the lineout anymore.

is it suppose to be like that? is there any way to make it auto switch from line out to headphone jack when i plug in a headphone?

thanks in advance guys. ;)

hi, i got the alc883 working on my generic laptop. sound is working fine. now, when i choose the line out as my default sound output, the sound goes out from there, but when i try to plug in my headphone on the headphone jack, nothing comes out of it. sound just continues to go out of the line out jack. now i chose the headphone jack as the default sound output, the sound comes out of there, but no sound comes out of the lineout anymore.

is it suppose to be like that? is there any way to make it auto switch from line out to headphone jack when i plug in a headphone?

thanks in advance guys. :D

I have exactly the same problem as I mentioned before. Sure it would be better if someone could find a solution, but nevertheless I'm completely satisfied as far I have sound at all...

Thanks skippyretard, great job :thumbsup_anim::dance_24:

The ALC883 driver doesn't seem to work on the ECS NFORCE 570 SLI-A motherboard. With 1.0.4.8+8.8.1 I run the installer and nothing happens upon boot. Unless, is there anything else I'm supposed to do after running the installer?

EDIT: Spoke too soon, another reboot and suddenly it works. Headphones only like many others, but a step forward.

It is working, at last for me, 10.4.9 with kernel 8.9.1 - but, what so ever, I cannot get more that stereo !!!! If somebody can help-me to get that 5.1 I put the linux dump for my card (my mb is a asus P5L 1394, alc 883, 945P chipset). Hope to see a sunshine in here, since I was unnable to find master Skippyretard or Taruga on the chat room !

I am about to go for the 10.4.9 update on Gigabyte DS3 system but, I definitely do not want to lose my 5.1 setup. :)

tokra, did you get the 5.1 setup back? or

Can anyone confirm if 5.1 setup works or not under 10.4.9?

Thanks!! :D

Nope. no 5.1 so far .. newer was ... only stereo and I am disperated

Uh-oh..there goes my 10.4.9 for ds3 :thumbsup_anim:

So is this common to all 10.4.9 updates?

I mean, noone successfully activated 5.1 setup under 10.4.9?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an intel high def. audio in my laptop. I installed the AzaliaAudio and finally I got sound. It was the only thing that really worked. However, although I have sound on my integrated speakers, I do not hear anything when I plug the headphones. Then there's no sound neither in the integrated nor the headphones. I didn't modify anything of the Azalia kext, maybe I should, but have no idea what to do.

Is there any solution to this? Thankyou