ALC88x 10.4.8 Kext

skippyretard

483 posts in this topic

I am happy to hear it works for so many people! The volume does not work for me either when using aggregate device, I do not know if that is normal. Laptops sometime have low volume because the line out is not amplified to the internal speakers.

My new mobo was delivered yesterday and I am sad to say the ALC883 does not work on the MSI 945GM3-F. This makes me think I was correct about sound not working on mobo's that do not have a SPDIF_In. If I can get it to work it may be good news for those with ICH7 and ALC888 because I think they have the same problem.

ZOleg: There is a great kext for ALC882 users made by Taruga HERE

TorqueX86: Thank you... I am working on an ALC888 kext right now, it should be posted sometime today. I can not be sure it will work on ICH7, so please test and post your results when it is ready.

Orionn: You must use the 8.8.1 kernel for the ALC883Audio.pkg to work

Ok, Thanks.... I´m just downloadind the update kernel....

I have obtained so far that my wireless intel card is detected, but does not manage to form it and they give failures me of kernel… if with the 8.8.1 with himself to solve I create it advanced enough…

Thanks...

Some progress with the new Azaliadriver :whistle:

after adding the id of my SigmaTel STAC7661 (onboard on Sony Vaio FE21M laptop), i now get an output device :blink:. No sound yet tho and it isnt visible in the system profiler but a step in the right direction. Thanks for all job sofar :(

Hi guys,

I've got an intel GNTLKR Mobo with Sigmatel 9220 / ICH7 Audio onboard. I've downloaded and run Skippy's Azalia Audio installer. As others have mentioned HD Audio Output shows up in the preferences pane and the menu bar slider works, just no sound. I removed Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext, repaired permissions, rebooted, still nothing.

I want to try editing the kext as Rammjet suggested,

The first Info.plist still might need to be edited to change 0880 to your particular number and remove ApplHDA.kext from Extensions folder (and of course, delete the Extensions.*kext* files).

but I'm not all that sure of what I should be editing. I've opened up the Azalia kext with plist pro and I'm looking at what's in the first Info.plist.

edit: I found an older post here from Rammjet about editing vendor and device ID's- so looking at the Azalia kext I found this code:

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ecffff 0x14f1ffff 0x11d4ffff 0x434dffff 0x8384ffff</string>

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x26688086 0x27d88086 0x284b8086 0x32881106 0x026c10de 0x037110de 0x03e410de 0x03f010de 0x044a10de 0x044b10de 0x437b1002 0x43831002 0x75021039</string>

how can these strings be edited to add the Sigmatel 9220 Vendor ID - 8384 and Device ID - 7680?

If I'm on the right track let me know, if not I'll get back in the shallow end with the other nOObs.

PS Happy Holidays everyone ;)

Edited by looper

I have an ALC883 in my notebook but there's a problem, I use the semthex kernel with 10.4.8 and I installed the ALC883 drivers (azalia also has this prob). Well, the main problem is tht auio is not synchronised and sounds choppy. u can't notice it with iTunes or quicktime, but for example, Speakable items does not work at all, or Logic Pro is giving me a synchro error between Audio and Midi everytime. Anyone knows a fix? ;P

I have an ALC883 in my notebook but there's a problem, I use the semthex kernel with 10.4.8 and I installed the ALC883 drivers (azalia also has this prob). Well, the main problem is tht auio is not synchronised and sounds choppy. u can't notice it with iTunes or quicktime, but for example, Speakable items does not work at all, or Logic Pro is giving me a synchro error between Audio and Midi everytime. Anyone knows a fix? ;P

m8 just upgrade to the latest beta kernel then ur sound will be fixed!

looper: try replacing this

<string>0x10ecffff 0x14f1ffff 0x11d4ffff 0x434dffff 0x8384ffff</string>

with this

<string>0x83847680</string>

O.K. I gave it a shot using your instructions, then got rid of the Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext files, fixed permissions and restarted, still no sound.

I noticed that the physical audio jacks are not "live"with this kext loaded. using my old (working) kext (from the Jas 10.4.8 DVD) when I unplug a jack from the audio port the volume slider automagically turns itself down to about halfway (to prevent damage to ones ears I suppose). But when this kext is loaded the menu bar slider doesn't respond to physically unplugging a cable. Just an observation.

Out of curiosity am I to understand that the HD audio is utilizing 2 chips whereas the "regular" sound only uses one?

Thanks for the help Skippy, keep up the good work we all appreciate it.

cheers

Hi Skippy, I hope you have a Merry Christmas, using your Azalia pkg I got sound out no line in and full lever control for the first time with Azalia, but the withdraw is no multichannel and not line in, anyway is a step in the right direction. Keep the good work. :thumbsup_anim:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel915gux mobo

2 Gig ddr2 memory

2.8 p4 Ghz ( appear as 3.06 in About this Mac )

QE/CI fully working

Realtek HDA Audio ALC880, 10ec0880, working Audio out 2 channels stereo and line in without boost with AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.3

Everything else working 100%

post-35379-1167092960_thumb.png

No lucky for me with this AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.

After modification of its plists to my ALC880 & Asus A6Jc Laptop (0x10ec0880 & 0x27d88086), still no any sound output in my JaS 10.4.6.

Every procedures in this board had been followed (e.g. delete AppleHDA.kext, mkext, kextcache, repair permissions,etc.)

Any help for me ?

Thanks for evrybody here.

Skippyretard...

I have used the ALC882 kext (Taruga) with success and also the AppleHDA kext from 10.4.5 modified for ALC880, but that kext does NOT supply SPDIF. Yours DOES (!) but doesn't seem to work with ALC880. Have you had any try at getting your kexts to work with the 'older' ALC880?? I would be glad to test for you on my ECS MB with ALC880. Also.. there is a newer board from MSI that is MoDT and has built in DVI (!) using the Intel GMA950 graphics engine that would seem to be a great board for a HTPC setup, but uses the ALC880 chipset -- it has SPDIF which would be nice for HTPC. Thanks again for your hard work!

Steve

Treso: I agree with homer007, the original kernel did not autodetect the FSB of the CPU and caused timing issues. Please try the latest kernel on IRC and let us know if it solved your problem.

looper: The HD Audio uses a controller and a codec, the controller is built-in to the southbridge. If I get some time I may try to fix the azalia kext, but my priority is the AppleHDA.kext for now.

eyemac: did you edit Taruga's kext? or did it work as is? also, do they both provide output AND input?

Skippy FYI, i have tried your installer and i now have line in line out an d mic all working, but to make it working i had to install alc883 ich7 with 3 channels + digital

i do not have a digital ot port but its supported in an addtional bracket....

BTW i have tried with the agregate using Line out + line in + mic but no 5.1 im doing something wrong?

Apple HDA sound MUCH BETTER than Azalia

Thanks!

Skippy..

I tried to edit Taruga's kext (ALC882) by changing the vender and device ID's according to previous instructions to do so on this forum (and the same vender id code additions that got my 10.4.5 AppleHDA kext working. . However, with that mod, I got nothing at all.. ie the kext did not load and there was no line in or out. I did not have the Azalia kext in the extensions folder with the AppleHDA kext as I had found the in order to get AppleHDA.kext working (10.4.5 native moded for ALC880), Azalia kext had to be removed. THAT mod, DID work, and provided Line In and Line out. I am using it currently. However, it did NOT provide SPDIF even though my MB supports both SPDIF In and Out. I thought I might be able to get SPDIF working using the udated kext (Taruga), but was unsuccessful. Have you had any success using YOUR ALC883 kext with ALC880 with SPDIF as well? If a mod was needed can you explain what you did to get ALC880 working with your ALC883?

eyemac (steve)

skippy,

the 3 port 883 patch works for my acer 5672 laptop using ich7m. The internal mic is detected and i have no way to test the line in or external mic. this is the good news.

bad news is the headphone jack still doesn't work and the sound randomly drops out on me for no apparent reason and refuses to work untill i reboot; just like it did when i was using an edited appleazalia.

unless other people are reporting these sorts of problems as well i'm convinced this is merely my laptop being a buggy p.o.s. and not an error in your wonderfull hack.

cheers and happy holidays.

-ass

skippy,

the 3 port 883 patch works for my acer 5672 laptop using ich7m. The internal mic is detected and i have no way to test the line in or external mic. this is the good news.

bad news is the headphone jack still doesn't work and the sound randomly drops out on me for no apparent reason and refuses to work untill i reboot; just like it did when i was using an edited appleazalia.

unless other people are reporting these sorts of problems as well i'm convinced this is merely my laptop being a buggy p.o.s. and not an error in your wonderfull hack.

cheers and happy holidays.

-ass

m8 didnt u read my post before just upgrade to the latest kernel and ur sound will be fixed.

My audio problems are solved now.

1. Remove -x (safe boot) from my com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Using AppleHDA.kext (1.1.0a17) and remove AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

3. Set correct parameters: 0x10ec0880 0x27d88086 in AppleHDA.kext

4. verify it by kextload -t

5. After reboot I can use Mic In and Stereo Out from my ALC880 in laptop Asus A6JC

Another incomplete solution:

1. Remove -x (safe boot) from my com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Using AppleAzaliaAudio.kext(1.0.0d0) and remove AppleHDA.kext

3. Set correct parameters: 0x10ec0880 0x27d88086 in AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

4. verify it by kextload -t

5. After reboot I can get Stereo Out without Mic In from my ALC880 in laptop Asus A6JC

My solution is different from others and I think it's due to my Hac OS is 10.4.6/8.4.1 instead of 10.4.8/8.8.1

Edited by jsl