[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

@asdesoso 

Yes, until it just installed it goes very well, when it does the last reboot to boot into MacOS Ventura is when it fails, mine doesn't panic, it just hangs.... but when I replace the os.dmg it starts up fine

The hard part will be the HD4000 😰

In my case I am pending at HD 4000 and HD 4600, I think that both will be have a patch on Ventura, but, yes, that the hardest part.

And in our Ivy laptops, I think that when Ventura will be updated, we need to replace os.dmg in each one, so I tried to decompile and dump a Ventura IPSW to find inside this file, but I don´t know how to do that, I tried it, but fails to me, the decompiler. 😕

15 minutes ago, PoMpIs said:

@asdesoso 

Yes, until it just installed it goes very well, when it does the last reboot to boot into MacOS Ventura is when it fails, mine doesn't panic, it just hangs.... but when I replace the os.dmg it starts up fine

The hard part will be the HD4000 😰

EDIT: 

You don't even need to start in Monterey, you can boot from recovery and replace the os.dmg...

I don't have any other system in Lenovo than Ventura...

But I have discovered that mine, when rebooting the system several times, there comes a time when it stops working when I get to the desktop, it hangs and I can't just turn it off with the power button

In my HP 2570P, I have Big Sur, Monterey (x2), W11 22H2, and currently an external USB 3.0 SSD Ventura to taste the betas.

I know it, the result as GUI or Terminal is the same, but with cp command is enough.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, aben said:

Yes! That is indeed how I approached the HEVC test - retained all IOGVAxxxx (enc/dec) values from KBL (incl. Gen95) while omitting IOGVAXDecode for VP9 fix :) Works great, no issues seen so far, with HEVC as well.

I believe this rollback should sort out all codec hw acceleration supported on SKL.

Thank you! I reverted most changes at https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/commit/a57149d413fd5889847f011bdbfa4b21aedc316b.

By the way, with this approach we are not able to boot Installer/Recovery, I am currently taking a look at it with @dhinakg.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PMheart said:

By the way, with this approach we are not able to boot Installer/Recovery, I am currently taking a look at it with @dhinakg.

Yup, issue with installer/recovery stalling at 'iGPU' remains when spoofing SKL; tackling this was defo next on my check list. Much thanks to you both for looking into this!

1 hour ago, PMheart said:

Thank you! I reverted most changes at https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/commit/a57149d413fd5889847f011bdbfa4b21aedc316b.

WEG latest version I can't use it together with an 6650XT, I get a black screen if I inject device-id: 73FF ... and if I inject 73E0 it produces a panic... ( device-id 73E0 works fine in Ventura )

xOwFIGO.png

In both Ventura and Monterey with latest WEG

I can only use up to this version:

qSGLfEY.png

And so I don't have a decoder in Ventura:

6PnJ4Bz.png

No app TV, no netflix on safari...

Thank you very much for all the work you do 

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Sad 1

I'm sorry, I have seen it somewhere in this thread but I don't remember where.

My rig #2  hangs on '12 minutes remaining' during installation.

Please anyone so kind to point me to the right direction. Thank you. (OC 0.8.2 and kext up to date today) (AvoidRuntimeDefrag=false)

Edited by Joshua60

Gave Ventura another shot this morning with OC 0.8.2; worked great with AvoidRuntimeDefrag True on Z370! Didn't have to change Monterey config at all now.

I did notice I can do 4K@120hz now. I think they either fixed DSC or gave us HDMI 2.1. I can't do HDR@120 but I'd much rather the increased refresh 🎉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

No way to complete installation at the time of writing, either you need a second pc with Ivy Bridge+ cpu or (I think) boot from a preinstalled disk: find somewhere a cloned image, restore it to your disk and boot the preinstalled system with the Preboot volume hack (booting preinstalled image had to be tested yet, cannot find anywhere to download one and test).

Actually , I followed method 2 and I successfully completed installation on my Sandy. Now, will be waiting for an update of Geforce Kepler patcher for GTX670 from chris1111 

image.thumb.png.b3ac1fc98d712bfb9ead396aac484186.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoMpIs said:

WEG latest version I can't use it together with an 6650XT, I get a black screen if I inject device-id: 73FF ... and if I inject 73E0 it produces a panic... ( device-id 73E0 works fine in Ventura )

xOwFIGO.png

In both Ventura and Monterey with latest WEG

I can only use up to this version:

qSGLfEY.png

And so I don't have a decoder in Ventura:

6PnJ4Bz.png

No app TV, no netflix on safari...

Thank you very much for all the work you do 

How can AMD be broken when literally no changes have been made to this part? I am afraid that I am unable to provide you with any help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PMheart said:

How can AMD be broken when literally no changes have been made to this part? I am afraid that I am unable to provide you with any help.

I have no idea 😄, but if I change WEG to this version (or higher):

IYvZpF3.png

the system stops getting to load the desktop, both in Ventura and Monterey.

I go back to a lower version and everything works, and in monterey everything works, I have the TV app, netflix on safari, the Amazon video app....

And it happens with the 6650xt, with 6600XT and lower you can already use the latest version of WEG

• Sad 1

Thank you @5T33Z0, I was able to install, but when I configure DHCP in Ethernet the system reboots.

Offline it works.

For Internet I use boot e1000=0 (Monterey) and dk.e1000=0 (BS) bootargs.

I ask you for some more help or maybe someone else in the Forum could help.

Thanks for helping.

8 hours ago, aben said:

That's strange coz both SKLAsKBL and SkylakeInjector have literally the exact same property values within info.plist with just a mere rename for better purpose-clarity. Without reverting the relevant change you will not see HEVC as enabled + VP9 fix for YouTube (regardless of SKLAsKBL or SkylakeInjector). Are you sure you even added the kext to your config.plist? coz I just tried loading SKLAsKBL from the relevant WEG branch to test your claim and I do not see HEVC status as enabled.

Yes, for sure. Note that internal tests were performed with the help of Vit9696 and PMHeart and the kext was obtained in such a way. Will test your version of SkylakeInjector today.

8 hours ago, aben said:

Would you mind performing the same test again with same SKLasKBL from this branch and report back if both HEVC and YouTube on Safari works?

EDIT: SKLAsKBL has now been revised to reflect the relevant change (same as applied to SkylakeInjector provided earlier) to fix HEVC issue on SKL.

Perfect. I'll check that.

8 hours ago, aben said:

Injection of codeless kext with SKL fixes (by @dhinakg) is a must for proper spoofing and acceleration on SKL. More info here: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/pull/101 

For me, acceleration works without the codeless kext, but is important to fix videoplayback only. Even HEVC works without the kext.

5 hours ago, jsl2000 said:

Thanks for your help and attached files which enable HEVC now !

But DP audio still missing.

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 4.57.00 PM.png

My config.plist is attached here for your reference. You need the newest OpenCore 0.8.2 from related post in this topic.

https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true

config.plist 35.13 kB · 13 downloads

DP/HDMI Audio requires a correct framebuffer patching.

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

DP audio working on my Skylake Latitude E7270 laptop. I used my usual DP-to-HDMI adapter and TV registered against con1 connector which is patched for HDMI type 00080000.

E7270_SKL_DP_audio.jpg

Bingo!

3 hours ago, aben said:

Yes! That is indeed how I approached the HEVC test - retained all IOGVAxxxx (enc/dec) values from KBL (incl. Gen95) while omitting IOGVAXDecode for VP9 fix :) Works great, no issues seen so far, with HEVC as well.

I believe this rollback should sort out all codec hw acceleration supported on SKL.

Do you have flicker issue?

3 hours ago, PMheart said:

Yes, that's the last thing to achieve :)

2 hours ago, aben said:

Yup, issue with installer/recovery stalling at 'iGPU' remains when spoofing SKL; tackling this was defo next on my check list. Much thanks to you both for looking into this!

Yes, correct. Stop line is random in my case. I reported it first to @PMHeart

53 minutes ago, PMheart said:

Depends on the configuration and SMBIOS is main key.

@PoMpIs Is 6650XT really supported? If so, since what macOS version?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Tech said:

For me, acceleration works without the codeless kext, but is important to fix videoplayback only. Even HEVC works without the kext.

FYI: the theory that SKL iGPU could be spoofed in the first place to achieve acceleration on macOS 13 was already established/founded way earlier on this thread through this post: 

Yes, correct. Stop line is random in my case. I reported it first to @PMHeart

The current issue with installer stalling at iGPU on SKL was indeed already reported here as well: 

1 minute ago, aben said:

FYI: the theory that SKL iGPU could be spoofed in the first place to achieve acceleration on macOS 13 was already established/founded way earlier on this thread through this post: 

Yes, but before testing with PMHeart, i was using WEG from Master branch. 

1 minute ago, aben said:

The current issue with installer stalling at iGPU on SKL was indeed already reported here as well: 

Yes, that's right. What about flicker issue?

I am using one and the same EFI with OC 0.8.2 on my two GA-Z490 Vision G platforms:

Big Sur 11.6.7 Beta 2 (20G710) 

Big Sur 11.6.6  Release (20G624) 

Monterey 12.5 Beta 2 (21G5037d)

Monterey 12.4 Release (21F79)

Ventura 13 Beta (22A5266r)

Windows 10 Enterprise

Windows 10 Professional 

Linux 20.04 LTS

Thanks to all the OC developers for making this possible, quite a remarkable feat indeed.

On the side, through all my hacking years I have never experienced a first beta release that was working 

as well as the Apple's present initial Ventura incarnation, therefore kudos to Apple as well.

Considering the length of time that both Big Sur as well as Monterey took to develop into something "usable", I had my doubts that Ventura would be any better. In the end I am presently surprised. I have never yet have it lock up, crash or misbehave on me, remarkable as far as I am concerned., even the Intel i255-V NIC is working well on my Z490 hacks.

Edited by Henties
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, The Tech said:

Do you have flicker issue?

Fortunately my Dell mobile-SKL system does not suffer from any iGPU/display related issues so far; everything works just as perfect as Monterey - even idles at 0.61 W :) 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, aben said:

Fortunately my Dell mobile-SKL system does not suffer from any iGPU/display related issues so far; everything works just as perfect as Monterey - even idles at 0.61 W :) 

With the SkylakeInjector kext you attached?

52 minutes ago, The Tech said:

Depends on the configuration and SMBIOS is main key.

@PoMpIs Is 6650XT really supported? If so, since what macOS version?

In my case, the SMBios used does not matter, with the 6650xt in Ventura there is no decoder or encoder

In monterey everything works..

Actually the 6650xt is a 6600XT with better silicon, and it changes the Device-ID, if you inject the Device-ID of a 6600/XT it works from the same version of MacOS as them

Tomorrow I will try an RX6600 on this computer to see if there is a decoder

Edited by PoMpIs

Guest 5T33Z0
1 hour ago, Joshua60 said:

Thank you @5T33Z0, I was able to install, but when I configure DHCP in Ethernet the system reboots.

Offline it works.

For Internet I use boot e1000=0 (Monterey) and dk.e1000=0 (BS) bootargs.

I ask you for some more help or maybe someone else in the Forum could help.

Thanks for helping.

• Have a Backup of your EFI Folder on a FAT 32 formatted USB flash drive
  • Set DisableIOMapper to False in Config
  • Reboot to BIOS
  • Enable Vt-d
  • Reboot to macOS

If it works, great, if not, disable the boot-arg (put # in front of it) and reboot

If it still not works you may need a custom firmware for your Intel I225 Controller. More Info on the matter:

Edited by 5T33Z0

12 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

• Have a Backup of your EFI Folder on a FAT 32 formatted USB flash drive
  • Set DisableIOMapper to False in Config
  • Reboot to BIOS
  • Enable Vt-d in BIOS
  • Reboot to macOS

If it works, great, if not, disable the boot-arg (put # in front of it) and reboot

If it still not works you may need a custom firmware for your Intel I225 Controller.

Maybe he need to do more:

Get DMAR table with MaciASL.app, delete the "Reserved Memory Region", add the saved DMAR table in OpenCore, block the genuine one.

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0
31 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

Maybe he need to do more:

Get DMAR table with MaciASL.app, delete the "Reserved Memory Region", add the saved DMAR table in OpenCore, block the genuine one.

@Joshua60 Don't drop the DMAR table. I've conducted some tests of possible setting combinations. It turns out it's not required: https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-Z490-Vision-G-Hackintosh-OpenCore/blob/main/I225_stock_vs_cstmfw.md. But past macOS Big Sur you will require a custom firmware, otherwise no chance for the I225 to work (if it's an older revision).

Edited by 5T33Z0