OpenCanopy Icons

blackosx
1,484 posts in this topic

Hello,

We plan to create a customisation gallery at dortania.github.io. The initial idea is to request everyone to provide the following information from the end-user:

- Icon pack name

- Icon pack author

- Icon pack description

- Preview photo, ideally in HiDPI 4K

- Link to a github repository containing the icon pack

For those, who want to host the icon packs on dortania, there should also be an option. Before we start we will need some information on whether it is enough or whether there is any specific detail that we are unaware.

Vit

• Like 6

Hi Vit

I think it's a good idea to have a gallery and dortania would be an excellent place for it. 

Can you suggest a mandatory list of icons that an icon pack should include? I ask because currently there's the list of icons names in GuiApp.c, some of which can be 'Ext'ernal and/or 'Old' as seen in the current OcBinaryData-master/Image directory. Yet, this directory is missing some icons from GuiApp.c, namely Apple, Other and ResetNVRAM.

Having an agreed minimum icon list will mean all icon packs will at least contain the same range of icons which the end user can expect to find.

• Like 3

The list of mandatory icons is specified in the PDF:

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/0.6.0/Docs/Configuration.tex#L4531-L4534

These are Cursor, Selected, Selector, and HardDrive. Icons that represent a boot entry have flavours: internal and external. So for the HardDrive icon you must make both: HardDrive.icns and ExtHardDrive.icns. All other icons are optional, and that means that you can do Apple.icns, Apple.icns + ExtApple.icns, or none at all. We recommend making at least the icons that are found in OcBinaryData, but this is not a requirement. Providing more icons for other operating systems, like Linux, in order to specify them as a .VolumeIcon.icns is also nice, but is not a requirement as well.

There will be technical requirements about the formats. The icons should be created with the builtin icnspack utility (which settles down the format question and makes HiDPI support a requirement), and PNG files used as a source must be as small as possible. You can optimise them with ImageOptim.

• Like 1

This sounds great. Can I make a suggestion that we get rid of the "old" prefix altogether? It is confusing. If I understand it correctly, these are used when the background is light. Then the "old" prefix doesn’t make sense.

• Like 1

After Vit's post this week regarding icon packs for a customisation gallery I've gone ahead and put together some icon packs based on the collection of icons I've been creating and added them to a new github repo https://github.com/blackosx/OpenCanopyIconPacks

Spoiler

repo-Image-Packs.png

These icon packs contain icons for:

- Cursor

- Selected (Some pack also include OldSelected)

- Selector (Some pack also include OldSelector)

- Apple Recovery & External Apple Recovery

- Apple Time Machine & External Apple Time Machine

- HardDrive & External HardDrive

- Windows

- Shell

- Tool

While these packs contain a base selection of icons, there are many more icons available at the OpenCanopyIcons repo. For example, HardDrives for different versions of macOS and Linux, different selections and selectors, and external drives.

Current icon packs:

From Set1:

Front lit matte icons with soft shadows. 

BOCIP_1_Dark

Preview (Grey) | Preview (Black) | Download

BOCIP_1_Grey

BOCIP_1_Light

From Set2:
More subtly lit icons than Set1, with increased level of reflectiveness.

BOCIP_2_Dark

Preview (Grey) | Preview (Black) | Download

BOCIP_2_Light

From Set3:
Studio lit icons, brighter than Set2, with higher level of reflectiveness and narrower devices to better match the shapes of the latest Apple device icons.

[2nd Feb 2021] BOCIP_3 icon packs have been updated to include Left and Right icons for OpenCore 0.6.6

BOCIP_3_AppleEsque

BOCIP_3_Aqua

Preview (Grey) | Preview (Black) | Preview (Custom) | Download

BOCIP_3_Blue

BOCIP_3_Cardinal

BOCIP_3_Dark

BOCIP_3_Green

BOCIP_3_Light

BOCIP_3_LightBlue

BOCIP_3_Lime

BOCIP_3_Orange

BOCIP_3_Pink

BOCIP_3_Purple

BOCIP_3_Red

BOCIP_3_Violet

BOCIP_3_Yellow

EDIT: Added Special Editions

BOCIP_3_SE_SilverGold

BOCIP_3_SE_SilverBlue

Installation:

Assuming you have already downloaded and installed the OCBinaryData/Resources in to your OC directory then the contents of each pack is intended to be placed in

EFI/OC/Resources/Image/

Edited by blackosx
Added icon packs with icons from Set1. Add set descriptions. Fix Silver&Gold Black Preview Link
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 7:57 AM, blackosx said:

Hey @pkdesign.

I use the icnspack utility from OpenCore. It takes a 128x128px and 256x256px PNG file, and writes them to a new file with the correct icns headers.

Hey black! Can you guide me how do I use this utility please ? Got Xcode installed if it's needed ;)

Adopted some icons from clover neon theme :) but still I would like to know how to use icnspack utility just to learn something ;)

Here is how it looks like ;) https://photos.app.goo.gl/FzJvBKjcDtu3537h6

Edited by Borygo

Hey Borygo

Instructions for icnspack are here

But to explain it again, load Terminal app and run the command line program passing it:

1 - the name of the final .icns file you want

2 - the path to the file of the 1x scale icon.

3 - the path to the file of the 2x scale icon.

./icnspack <wanted_target_name.icns> </path/to/image_scale_x1.png> </path/to/image_scale_x2.png>

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1

I really hate using icnspack but for now it the only tool we have unless OC will allow the full set of ICNS that Image2Icon provides. It is SO much easier to use. Or if Image2Icon lets users pick how many sizes they want.

I don’t understand why you would hate icnspack. It’s a simple tool to combine two PNG images and apply the necessary header to make a legal .icns file.

It only takes a couple of seconds to run the command and pass the arguments for a one off icon.

If you’d prefer an app then try the one posted by Sergey_Galan at Applelife

Otherwise it wouldn’t take much to write a bash script to process a directory of PNG’s against it.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1

Says the true coder! :lol: I'm a graphic designer and use GUI tools all day long. All that typing and backspacing and retyping for half a dozen icons is madness. God forbid I move the source files to another folder then I have to change the command.

Image2Icon I can drag a psd, jpg, png, any image file and click export. Done.

I will check out the tool you mentioned.

• Like 2

Okay. I get your point but it doesn’t have to be that difficult using icnspack. Try this...

Create a folder on your desktop, let’s name it ICONS, and copy the icnspack tool in to that folder.

Load up Terminal app, then.

cd ~/Desktop/ICONS

then type:

./ic followed by TAB to (auto complete the command) then type the target name.icns

so it looks like 

./icnspack target.icns 

then drag and drop the 1x scale PNG file to the Terminal window, then drag and drop the 2x scale PNG to the Terminal window then press return.

The resulting ICNS file will be in the ICONS directory.

This way, all you’re typing it the first ./ic TAB

then the icon name. And you can always use copy and paste for the first part if you want too.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, pkdesign said:

Says the true coder! :lol: I'm a graphic designer and use GUI tools all day long. All that typing and backspacing and retyping for half a dozen icons is madness. God forbid I move the source files to another folder then I have to change the command.

Image2Icon I can drag a psd, jpg, png, any image file and click export. Done.

I will check out the tool you mentioned.

You can try and use an Automate folder for icnspack I made its working perfectly good B)

create this set of Icon at the good size and use the name bellow  (verry important)

⬇︎
Selector.png
Selected.png
ExtHardDrive.png
AppleRecv.png
ExtAppleRecv.png
HardDrive.png
AppleTM.png
Windows.png
Tool.png
Shell.png

NOTE Selector.png must be 80x80 in 144 pixels

Selected.png  must be 288x288 in 144 pixels

All the others must be 256x256 in 144 pixels

---------------------------------

Do not worry about resizing and creating the final icon because the script will take care of it

You can read the script it is readable with any text editor.

Your only have to copy and paste your set of Icon in the folder Icon then double clic to icnspack-Build.command

In the video I create a themes in 3 seconds :D

NOTE: Folder Resource is removed with each use, and empty the Icon folder before starting over.

hope you like it

Folder attach

⬇︎

icnspack-Builder.zip

Edited by chris1111
You can try
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, blackosx said:

Thanks for helping out chris1111.

I've not look at your builder yet but I'm sure it will help others.

Thanks @blackosx and yes that should be enough but the only trouble is that people may find it difficult to create 80x80 and 288x288 icons in macOS. For others there is a lot of utility that can do it

43 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

Thanks @Matgen84, I know he made the icons. What I was asking is about his preview image of them. I am not aware of being able to take a screen shot like you can with Clover.

You can take a screen shot in Opencore just like Clover. You need to have the CrScreenshotDxe.efi in the Drivers Folder and add it to your config.plist like the example shown. When you boot your machine, at the boot menu hit the F10 key and the pic I think appears in your Download Folder if I remember correctly.

Spoiler

300877455_Screenshot2020-08-28at18_52_13.thumb.png.c9f45310542544a131af62290acc6481.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pkdesign said:

Is this a screen shot or are you just making these graphics?

The previews are not actual screenshots (which can be taken once you've included CrScreenshotDxe.efi as posted above by @eSaF, though the final screenshot is saved to the root of the ESP), and are in fact generated using a bash script I made in conjunction with Imagemagick. The benefit of the script for me is it can create images wider than a standard display hence the images like this one and this one.

The script generates the UI preview using the same sizing and spacing as OpenCanopy so they're almost identical to how this will look when used for real, apart from maybe the font rendering which is pretty close but not exact.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blackosx said:

The previews are not actual screenshots (which can be taken once you've included CrScreenshotDxe.efi as posted above by @eSaF, though the final screenshot is saved to the root of the ESP), and are in fact generated using a bash script I made in conjunction with Imagemagick. The benefit of the script for me is it can create images wider than a standard display hence the images like this one and this one.

The script generates the UI preview using the same sizing and spacing as OpenCanopy so they're almost identical to how this will look when used for real, apart from maybe the font rendering which is pretty close but not exact.

You're correct @blackosx where the screenshots are stored as my examples are showing. My mistake to say they are stored in the D/Load folder, hope this answers @pkdesign q28201908.thumb.png.1458e112ec2c50cde8ecea968275e565.pnguery.   

Spoiler

28201748.thumb.png.93554ab936545c701dd2f8a2fff491dc.png66442379_Screenshot2020-08-28at21_22_03.png.271a3be69de8f8e976638c8ea69dfeea.png28201908.thumb.png.1458e112ec2c50cde8ecea968275e565.png

• Like 3