Jump to content
851 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Nice!
 

I know what you mean, I find it‘s only when you see all icons together that you see things that need addressing. That’s one reason I created my preview script (personal use only for now, but maybe I’ll work to get it ready for some kind of public release, if anybody is interested, though it requires imagemagick)

 

Edit: nice to see you have added some tool icons and I like your selected icon. I have ideas but unfortunately don’t have the time at the moment. 

Edited by blackosx

If I have some time I will add those icons for you. :)

21 hours ago, blackosx said:

Edit: nice to see you have added some tool icons and I like your selected icon. I have ideas but unfortunately don’t have the time at the moment. 

All thanks to you for explaining to me how to get them to show! :thumbsup_anim:

Nice updates!

I created some updated previews of them

Spoiler

1902110312_CircleBlobIcon_1.1_Preview_Black_000000.thumb.png.0d9e88b929ad92c954cb33ae698a94f1.png601088126_CircleBlobText_1.1_Preview_Black_000000.thumb.png.142fc560cd67a843e4802745a0e2a437.png776267511_Hex_1.1_Preview_Black_000000.thumb.png.1453bdfaa91a98a255798d1c1786cc3c.png

 

Did you forget to optimise some of the images as I notice the file sizes are larger then they could be? For example, the Selected.icns from your Hex_1.1 is 27KB but I managed to get it down to 12KB. Here's my version for comparison.

Selected.icns.zip

 

Hmm, out of interest I just tried ImageOptim using lossy PNG at 90% and recreated that selected.icns file at 11KB. Strange how you got 27KB. Am I using different

 

settings to you?

 

Spoiler

53852704_Screenshot2020-09-10at12_42_36.thumb.png.88075223c689c51ba431fecda3897796.png

 

Selected.icns.zip

 

ps. Sorry to keep on about this but this will be a technical requirement for moving forward, as per Vit's post.

 

There will be technical requirements about the formats. The icons should be created with the builtin icnspack utility (which settles down the format question and makes HiDPI support a requirement), and PNG files used as a source must be as small as possible. You can optimise them with ImageOptim.

Edited by blackosx

I think I have tracked down the cause. I am using @chris1111 tool to create ICNS. I see that when it creates the second smaller PNG it does not optimize it. So the 288px one is just 7KB, which is the icon that I exported from Photoshop as PNG and then ran through ImageOptim. But the 144px one is 20KB (sizes are Selected size requirements).

 

Sigh, I really hope there is some way to fix this. Using that tool makes it so simple to create these ICNS.

 

This also means that all my ICNS can be made smaller. I'm kind of tickled that we are worrying about a few KB! These days when file size are huge.

Edited by pkdesign
46 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

I think I have tracked down the cause. I am using @chris1111 tool to create ICNS. I see that when it creates the second smaller PNG it does not optimize it. So the 288px one is just 7KB, which is the icon that I exported from Photoshop as PNG and then ran through ImageOptim. But the 144px one is 20KB (sizes are Selected size requirements).

 

Sigh, I really hope there is some way to fix this. Using that tool makes it so simple to create these ICNS.

 

This also means that all my ICNS can be made smaller. I'm kind of tickled that we are worrying about a few KB! These days when file size are huge.

I test ImageOptim on my Icon; after optimisation its a 2ko Selected.png file then after the creation Icons its 3ko Selected.icns looks good here 373695373.png.f0e32bf8903ce58d781452cbe0c51bed.png

Dont know what wrong on your side?

1368987535_Capturedcranle2020-09-1012_11_16.png.224875e6db50b0b8f83f8ff3a49221fc.png

 

Edited by chris1111

What is your process @chris1111?

 

I create the 256 (or 288) PNG from Photoshop (I create then in Illustrator). Then I process that PNG with ImageOptim. That compresses the ~27KB PNG to ~7KB.

 

I copy that file into the "icon" folder (I am using the command utility as I have added several icons to the list.)

 

When I process, the 256px PNG stays at 7KB, but the second image that your script creates as a 128px image is ~27KB. That second image does not get compressed by me through ImageOptim as its creation and processing inot ICNS is done by the script.

 

Does that make sense?

6 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

What is your process @chris1111?

 

I create the 256 (or 288) PNG from Photoshop (I create then in Illustrator). Then I process that PNG with ImageOptim. That compresses the ~27KB PNG to ~7KB.

 

I copy that file into the "icon" folder (I am using the command utility as I have added several icons to the list.)

 

When I process, the 256px PNG stays at 7KB, but the second image that your script creates as a 128px image is ~27KB. That second image does not get compressed by me through ImageOptim as its creation and processing inot ICNS is done by the script.

 

Does that make sense?

Try with this https://github.com/chris1111/Icnspack-Builder let me know if is the same ?

 

 

I broke your script into two parts. First I run it to make two sets of PNGs:

1005585360_ScreenShot2020-09-10at1_15_39PM.thumb.jpg.7a66ad92a3602dd477d063130aba0a38.jpg

 

You can see the original PNGs don’t get processed by ImageOptim because I already did that. The newly created ones by your script get processed by ImageOptim. (ignore the screenshot one I added by mistake)

 

When the first half of your script creates the other size, they do not get optimized. So I run them through ImageOptim after the first half of your script. Then I run the second half after I've manually optimized to create the final ICNS and they come out compressed.

1029013107_ScreenShot2020-09-10at1_19_46PM.thumb.jpg.7891c442e6e99ea0f99b04689c4cef4a.jpg

Edited by pkdesign

I'm no coder so i don’t understand this stuff :shock:, but is their no hook into ImageOptim or some other image optimizer built into the OS that you can call on in your script? Or if you have ImageOptim app (you can make that a requirement) in your Applications folder, your script can use that to process images?

 

Maybe pngquant could be used?

Edited by pkdesign

Eureka!! I got it to work! by using pngquant in your script @chris1111, you can duplicate, resize and create ICNS in one fell swoop! Download pngquant here https://pngquant.org/

 

I also made some edits to your script to better reflect what the icons are, i.e. Apple128.png to reflect the actual size of the created icon.

 

I set the compression to 90 but that may be to much. Easily edited by entering whatever quality settings you want.

 

Check it out.

icnspack-Build_Test3.command

Edited by pkdesign

Nice! We are getting there. I ran my uncompressed PNGs through the GUI, but but they are still larger than when I run it through the script version.

 

12K vs 24K for the Apple.icns for example.

 

Maybe it is imageoptim setting. For pngquant, i.e. --quality=90

Edited by pkdesign
4 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

Nice! We are getting there. I ran my uncompressed PNGs through the GUI, but but they are still larger than when I run it through the script version.

Ok I have Update Now I add directly ImageOptim.app in the program Its it is less heavy and no need that ImageOptim is in the applications because with the CL it had to be in the Apps

 

See my new release https://github.com/chris1111/Icnspack-Builder

See image spoiler

Spoiler

2071624875_Capturedcranle2020-09-1016_11_56.png.3582b1d02c34256e0baa20eecf0bff14.png

 

Edited by chris1111
Edit see image spoiler
×
×
  • Create New...