Clover.app testing

vector sigma
423 posts in this topic

Some more progress for retro compatibility:

Mavericks and Yosemite:

installermavyose.thumb.png.987135e3425672af15f756391689937d.png

(in Yosemite will have a better look like in newer OS, but the installer will looks as in Mavericks anyway)

El Capitan and newer:

elcapandnewer.thumb.png.29ba933e65cc1cb9339e77614da41c0b.png

..now the popover is detachable starting from 10.10..

Soon I'll do a test installation, after resolving a problem in Mavericks, but now I'll go to sleep as last night was too late working on this.. :moil:

• Like 4

Clover.app v1.11 Beta available at first post:

- Retro compatibility since OS X Mavericks (10.9).
- Search update ability of Clover.app.
- Auto mount of the selected ESP.
- ESP umounting after Clover installation.
- French translation by Ellibz.
- Some other corrections and improvements.

The code has been heavily modified to run in older OSes but I've tested the app in Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. Missing High Sierra.

I did not expect my code behave differently in any supported OSes, but the difference can reside in the Cocoa.framework shipped with them. You know starting from 10.10 Apple introduced vibrancy and Dark mode, and for my experience I know that the relative classes (NSColor, NSAppearance and NSVisualEffectView) had bugs and behave differently like having black background with black text, i.e. totally unreadable. In mentioned OSes I fixed all of these bugs and only 10.13 remain to be tested. As soon someone will report me that the interface is good (dark and light) in High Sierra too,  Clover.app will be released as "stable" and no longer in Beta stage.

Anyway, just to ensure no regressions or new bugs are introduced (and not visible by me), tests and reports are welcome!  

Note: in 10.10 and 10.9 the installer looks very different just because the original one I wrote for 10.11+ can't work with all the functionalities in Yosemite and Mavericks.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Looks like you changed the size window which truncated a part of the french text @ system read/write -> read only 

If you wish to keep that new size format, that same text can be expressed by a shorter one.

Ex below. I made the change in the fr.strings attached. Your call. 

1614474806_ScreenShot2019-12-01at10_08_19PM.png.62d6a9d9bd825be9ee4f71b46880a5f8.png577179911_ScreenShot2019-12-01at10_08_29PM.png.b9351d33128fcf2ca88132a0ca46f5ca.png1576119844_ScreenShot2019-12-01at10_15_15PM.png.e026a591f00189d8d760bf3e2c935da3.png

fr.strings

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

Hi @vector sigma

I don't understand (maybe I make a mistake somewhere) some clover.app v1.11 behaviors under Mojave:

• no change system read-write option in Nvram section (because it's Mojave HD?)
  • when I select disk ESP to install Clover, the app open the partition. 
  • when I try with another compile, the app display "install r5098" instead of r5099 (EDIT: maybe my local repo is not up to date)

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by Matgen84

14 hours ago, Ellybz said:

Looks like you changed the size window which truncated a part of the french text @ system read/write -> read only 

If you wish to keep that new size format, that same text can be expressed by a shorter one.

Ex below. I made the change in the fr.strings attached. Your call. 

Yes, to mantain compatibility with 10.9 now it has a fixed size. Thanks

14 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

no change system read-write option in Nvram section (because it's Mojave HD?)

You already answered your question. It's only visible in 10.15+

when I select disk ESP to install Clover, the app open the partition.

Unless you refear to this:

1.png.dc2e4c21e2742d0f0b280af761788666.png.2545518b96dabc8be602ffca93f117cb.png

..where no "install" is mentioned and so the purpose is only to quickly mount an ESP.... which means you want to see the contents... the app open the mount point in the Finder. Otherwise no other reason to push on something that doesn't allude to install (Mounter=Mount, (ESP))

Instead, if you refear to the fact that opening the installer:

1-1.png.dc2e4c21e2742d0f0b280af761788666.png.31befe53715c342ef1e33f65de4bc66d.png

and then you press:

614948140_Capturedcran2019-12-0222_28_03.png.b947db4847bcf5e6d2e49bb3adf264a3.png

..well, how would you do to copy files and folders without mounting the disk? Are you able without doing that?:P

when I try with another compile, the app display "install r5098" instead of r5099 (EDIT: maybe my local repo is not up to date)

Tried to update and compile Clover before building the app? ...yep, you already sorted out why.

• Thanks 1

Hey Vector!

1st: congrats on this nice little project. Looks good, works well.

2nd: how is the app coming out? Are we almost ready with the EN version? The reason why I'm asking is because I can help with RO translation, if you want. But for that, I think it would be best to leave the translations for after everything you wanted to add in it has been added. So we don't update languages, when the EN version is not yet ready.

And I've got a question (probably someone else already asked it, but I most likely missed the answer, so....apologies for that): what is N/D?

If it's Italian for Not Available (Non Disponibile), I think the EN version should probably say N/A, not N/D. :)

Also, some languages don't have a dedicated word for "Mount", in the technical sense. But everyone knows what it's referring to. If you were to translate it, it would create confusion, it would sound really funny and also kinda awkward to anyone reading it. :)) Cause nobody uses it that way. You're better off leaving it Mount, as in the EN version.

For example, if you were to translate "mount" in Romanian, you would probably say "urca", which is used both to carry something up, and to climb yourself up. Now imagine you're reading this, and you are like: "what? where does this software want me to go?". Same for "unmount". You could say "coboara", which means "descend" or "get down". :))

Another, even funnier version would be if you chose another one of the verb's meaning, which is "to get on" (as in get on a horse). I guess we would be horseback riding the ESP then. :)) I mean, it can be translated. You just don't wanna do that, cause it won't sound like a piece of software anymore.

So...yeah, that's why probably most people don't translate the word "mount" for this particular use case.

Edited by arsradu

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

1st: congrats on this nice little project. Looks good, works well.

thanks

2nd: how is the app coming out? Are we almost ready with the EN version? The reason why I'm asking is because I can help with RO translation, if you want. But for that, I think it would be best to leave the translations for after everything you wanted to add in it has been added. So we don't update languages, when the EN version is not yet ready.

I think no other things needs a translation, unless new functionalities will be added. I plan to add a plist editor, but it is not be "soon" as I don't even start to write it.

If it's Italian for Not Available (Non Disponibile), I think the EN version should probably say N/A, not N/D. :)

In truth is it already N/A but for some reasons get translated in Italian:

"N/A" = "N/D"; // not available (please be short)

...and the reason is that the source code is in English but I firstly create the en.strings with Italian translation and I forgot to change it back. fixed locally thanks.

Also, some languages don't have a dedicated word for "Mount", in the technical sense. But everyone knows what it's referring to. If you were to translate it, it would create confusion, it would sound really funny and also kinda awkward to anyone reading it. :)) Cause nobody uses it that way. You're better off leaving it Mount, as in the EN version.

For example, if you were to translate "mount" in Romanian, you would probably say "urca", which is used both to carry something up, and to climb yourself up. Now imagine you're reading this, and you are like: "what? where does this software want me to go?". Same for "unmount". You could say "coboara", which means "descend" or "get down". :))

Ah! The solution to this would be to use an icon that means what the app is going to do, but I haven't find one. Yep, also in Italian there are words that sounds funny if translated but most of the times just sounds perfect if left in english.

Another, even funnier version would be if you chose another one of the verb's meaning, which is "to get on" (as in get on a horse). I guess we would be horseback riding the ESP then. :)) I mean, it can be translated. You just don't wanna do that, cause it won't sound like a piece of software anymore.

Well, I don't want someone to translate ESP or mount/umount to something weird, but I asked because as per a request of reelgirl, I've added a new functionality which allow you to auto mount the desired ESP (as for old preference pane) and not because wasn't translated by the translators. That's why.

Since it is already under a "Mount" section, you can just have a translation that says "* auto" ... "* automatically" and so let understand what is going to do :)

ro.strings.zip

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

Ok @vector sigma

Thanks for the file. I'll get to it and come back when done.

I've got a question regarding this:

"true" = "true";
"false" = "false";

Where is that used? Cause, depending on the context, it could be translated as true/false or yes/no. So, I couldn't find where exactly is that used...so I know which one of them is it (probably yes/no would be just fine, but I just wanted to confirm).

Also, the command is "umount" but the actual verb is "to unmount".

So, in terms of translations, I think it should say:

"Clover wants to unmount %@" = "Clover wants to unmount %@"
"unmount" = "unmount"

But these are obviously minor details. :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Also, the command is "umount" but the actual verb is "to unmount".

naah, both are valid, look at 'man diskutil'.. both are perfect wording in unix world, and there is also a why (i.e. the umout() function ):)

28 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I've got a question regarding this:

"true" = "true";
"false" = "false";

Where is that used? Cause, depending on the context, it could be translated as true/false or yes/no. So, I couldn't find where exactly is that used...so I know which one of them is it (probably yes/no would be just fine, but I just wanted to confirm).

You can ignore or translate it with a "boolean meaning" (so not yes or no) . The first app had a something that is not shown anymore. I didn't remove them just because the plist editor will require them again.

Edited by vector sigma

31 minutes ago, telepati said:

@vector sigma menu bar shows 5100 warning for an update but inside of the app shows 5099. I installed, restart, but still the same.

Note: Using 1.11 Beta

The app is an installer, so it show the version has inside. 5100 is the newer available online, 5099 is the revision the app can install until you update it. It show 5100 in the top Bar to let you know that a new release of Clover bootloader has been published...

1967317843_Screenshot2019-12-07at20_38_15.png.0e27dfef2e10aabaff7925e9e658f3ab.png544342041_Screenshot2019-12-07at20_42_06.png.90608e3272f747b94d9c148614480e23.png

... the app can update the Clover has inside... so you can install the newer version where you like.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 2

Hi all. [mention=112217]Slice[/mention], [mention=673928]artur_pt[/mention], [mention=980913]Sherlocks[/mention], [mention=598588]Mork vom Ork[/mention], [mention=826765]Badruzeus[/mention], [mention=608882]crusher[/mention], [mention=2419703]Ellybz[/mention] I need a translation in your languanges for:

"*auto mount" = "*auto mount";

1682876954_Screenshot2019-12-07at15_45_02.png.01d0ab9f895aa9e49b0e565b31f251be.png

can you help me?

hi vector

here is file.

ko.strings.zip

i report one.

after install clover from clover app, i saw dummy file.

1090126285_2019-12-081_05_26.png.35127020a1120d2674e8f45e1bf4f675.png

and after install clover from clover app, can we show install success message?

also i think install log like old clover pkg

1049058581_2019-12-081_12_57.png.7471600ee6bfabf5923eb6b784d69e48.png

and old clover pkg also check uefi or legacy.

in clover app, UEFI part. i know default is UEFI, but i think there is case that normal user will be confuse.

1256223174_2019-12-081_13_34.png.8a4eaa33171d0b20a7564e6881b5c0f8.png

and after check BIOS box, and uncheck, UEFI description shown

1950640205_2019-12-081_14_47.png.010d0e73aeaa407cd146073ef01651b6.png 

thanks in advance

EDIT1.

can you add emuvariable/Legacy boot or Native boot info in clover app?

example

Boot Type:

if let nvram = getNVRAM() {
  // Check if we're running from CloverEFI
  if (nvram.object(forKey: "EmuVariableUefiPresent") != nil ||
  nvram.object(forKey: "TestEmuVariableUefiPresent") != nil) {

for example

config location: or current clover revision:

next line

2134064147_2019-12-081_19_43.png.2674dfd5f11d15f9082ddabf31eec4b0.png

Edited by Sherlocks

@vector sigma

Morning! :) I'm still working on the translation. I just wanted to ask if we're still using /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERIA32.efi. Cause it's still mentioned in the file, when explaining legacy boot

"Clover legacy BIOS boot sectors" 

I'm just not sure it should be there anymore...

Update: translation is done. Call it revision 1...? :))

Waiting for your feedback.

Also, as discussed, I left true/false as they are, since it depends on the context. And in the context of boolean true/false, it would be best to keep it as it is, otherwise it can lose its technical meaning.

If necessary, we can definitely update it in the future. :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

i report one.

after install clover from clover app, i saw dummy file.

Hi Sherlocks, this is not a dummy file. It is the preferences file. if you remembar I told you that the pkg fails on Catlina because He attempt to install into the System partition (like the preferences), Clover.app saves the preferences inside the EFI/CLOVER directory instead with no this problem. This way recognize you previously installed boo0af/boot0ss or boot6/boot7 or if you used the boot1 alt version.

and after install clover from clover app, can we show install success message?

also i think install log like old clover pkg

Yes, I can do that!

and after check BIOS box, and uncheck, UEFI description shown

Wanted. When you interact with it (to see what the options does) it show a description:

BIOS=on

Clover EFI will be installed. That means boot6 or boot7 will be copied to your target disk as boot. This without modify the MBR/PBR sectors (you have to press it explicitly to install boot0 and boot1). This is just like we done with the pkg.

BIOS=off

The installation is pure UEFI and no boot sectors of any kind will be installed.

5 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi @vector sigma

I compile Clover.app v1.12 this morning at 08:38 but the date of creation and edition remains at 10 November 10:16. Like previous versions.

Hi. Honestly I don't think this is a problem but I guess this is due to the fact that Xcode update contents (instead of redone them) inside the build directory, so try to delete:

../CloverBootloader/CloverApp/build

and rebuild it. Please don't ask me to do that automatically because I want to build the app in milliseconds instead of a lot of seconds.

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

Morning! :) I'm still working on the translation. I just wanted to ask if we're still using /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERIA32.efi. Cause it's still mentioned in the file, when explaining legacy boot

Hi. Clover is 64 bit only.. imho there's no need to say it is 64 bit or 32 bit. The original translations just comes from the pkg and that's why you have this old reference to a old Clover.

Update: translation is done. Call it revision 1...? :))

Waiting for your feedback.

Well, yes and no.. I'm to lazy to track changes for translations as well. The bundle that contains it (Languages.bundle) has its own Info.plist were a version can be increased. I've done that because one day I planned to automatically manage each file without using gettext... but for that I have to write my own program which is already in my mind.....

Also, as discussed, I left true/false as they are, since it depends on the context. And in the context of boolean true/false, it would be best to keep it as it is, otherwise it can lose its technical meaning.

If necessary, we can definitely update it in the future. :) 

Thanks!

EDIT1.

example

Boot Type:

if let nvram = getNVRAM() {
  // Check if we're running from CloverEFI
  if (nvram.object(forKey: "EmuVariableUefiPresent") != nil ||
  nvram.object(forKey: "TestEmuVariableUefiPresent") != nil) {

for example

config location: or current clover revision:

next line

Something that says "NVRAM native = true/false" ?? :) (@arsradu ...)

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Clover is 64 bit only.. imho there's no need to say it is 64 bit or 32 bit. The original translations just comes from the pkg and that's why you have this old reference to a old Clover.

Well, yes and no.. I'm to lazy to track changes for translations as well. The bundle that contains it (Languages.bundle) has its own Info.plist were a version can be increased. I've done that because one day I planned to automatically mage each file without using gettext... but for that I have to write my own program which is already in my mind.....

Thanks!

Something that says "NVRAM native = true/false" ?? :) (@arsradu ...)

Oh, I see. :) Then whenever or if you wanna update it, I guess in both places, that would be nice. I removed the reference from my translation since it doesn't apply anymore. :) 

Sorry, I didn't mean to keep track of translations. :))) I just called it "revision 1" for myself, in the sense that, although it's done, I might improve upon it later on, with future iterations of Clover. If I find a better translation, I'll update it. That's all. Don't worry, no need to keep track of translations. :))

In the context of "Native NVRAM = true/false" (I'm supposing it's gonna be like a drop-down or something...?), my opinion is that we could definitely use yes/no. And that should also remove whatever confusion there might be if we translate true/false literally (which, in this case, we probably shouldn't do). After that, you can simply associate to True to 1 or Yes, and false to 0 or No. So....as you wish.

In my opinion, we've got two options:

1. keep it true/false

2. change it to yes/no and translate accordingly.

You can find attached the RO translation (I left it true/false for now). But as I said, we can change it if you want. That's not a problem for me.

ro.strings.zip

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

Hi. Honestly I don't think this is a problem but I guess this is due to the fact that Xcode update contents (instead of redone them) inside the build directory, so try to delete:

../CloverBootloader/CloverApp/build

and rebuild it. Please don't ask me to do that automatically because I want to build the app in milliseconds instead of a lot of seconds.

Thanks :) Don't worry, I don't ask you to do that. I can use postbuild script to delete previous build before compile

1.png

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, arsradu said:

In my opinion, we've got two options:

1. keep it true/false

2. change it to yes/no and translate accordingly.

3. keep both.

is native nvram = false

do you want to update the app?

|Yes|                     |No|

6 minutes ago, arsradu said:

(I'm supposing it's gonna be like a drop-down or something...?)

no just a text as EmuVariableUefiPresent is published automatically by EmuVariableUefi.efi. Will let you know Clover will use the nvram.plist or not.

@Sherlocks any way Clover EFI can work with native nvram so:

10 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

the presence of the EmuVariable means just emulated nvram, but has nothing to do with "Legacy boot". The big difference reside on the firmware name:

"CLOVER" = legacy 

vs

"HP/Asus/Asrock/Aptio/Insideh20 etc" = UEFI

Can I propose to show just the firmware name instead?

Edited by vector sigma