Clover.app testing

vector sigma
423 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, joevt said:

You can use PlistBuddy to create plist and plutil to modify it. But need to make sure those exist in early macOS versions? They both appear to exist in Leopard.

seems to be very complicated

nvram -xp works OK from Leopard and later

I don't think someone really wants to install Tiger by this tool 

On 11/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, vector sigma said:

@Rodion2010and I trusted the guys who write this. 

sure

I am one of the authors of that logout script :)

#!/bin/sh

#
  # Copyright © 2019 Rodion Shingarev. All rights reserved.
  # Slight optimizations by PMheart and vit9696.
  #
Edited by Rodion2010
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rodion2010 said:

seems to be different -x options :)

latest nvram utility from Mojave can export any single key to XML with -x

"${nvram}" -x "${key}"

Thanks that explain why. 

4 minutes ago, Rodion2010 said:

sure

I am one of the authors of that logout script :)

#!/bin/sh

#
  # Copyright © 2019 Rodion Shingarev. All rights reserved.
  # Slight optimizations by PMheart and vit9696.

The world is very little then :lol:

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:30 PM, vector sigma said:

Thanks for the report. Totally UEFI here, but so much users still boot with CSM enabled and Windows 7 is still in use by many peoples, so why I thought this is still needed.

I have legacy BIOS and boot using Clover both macOS and UEFI Windows 7...10

I don't see any practical difference between

fdisk boot0af

and

dd if=/tmp/boot0af of=/tmp/CloverNewMBR bs=440 count=1 conv=notrunc
fdisk -f /tmp/CloverNewMBR 

for a long time I use first command because it is shorter )), but I agree the second solution is more correct for compatibility with any old windows

• Like 1

Clover.app v1.09 Beta available at first boot. 

Clover.app v1.09 Beta

There was a bug creating the temporary directory for the download of new Clover revision, fixed. Now the app version label is clickable and open the Clover repository at github in the user default web browser.

• Like 2

First-time use and I have a couple of questions;

I am using a UEFI system and should I choose CloverEFI while installing the latest Clover?

786972864_ScreenShot2019-11-23at00_18_55.thumb.png.9554b143b687d7d3a44886202d0f040d.png

This part of the app is for the Legacy users or UEFI users can use those? 

972639167_ScreenShot2019-11-23at00_23_54.thumb.png.e91e4ea1856e191b2c7442310915ab14.png

*Make filesystem read-write ( What is that mean? is it open the system permanently read-write? is it related to this command mount -uw / or something else? ) 

*Disable Sleep Proxy Client ( What is it for? I have never seen before)

If it is possible can you add tooltips for those, when mouse hover it? (It is just a suggestion)

Should I install Clover Daemon?

And sorry for my silly questions and Thank you for hard work. 

Edited by telepati
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, telepati said:

And sorry for my silly questions and Thank you for hard work. 

Hi, some answers to your questions were already available at first post, anyway I've just added more. 

I am using a UEFI system and should I choose CloverEFI while installing the latest Clover?

No, they are disabled by default and get activated only if you want or wanted this (preference is saved). MBR means Master Boot Record and PBR means Partition Boot Record used by BIOS computers in the last 40 years.

*Make filesystem read-write ( What is that mean? is it open the system permanently read-write? is it related to this command mount -uw / or something else? ) 

A check box can have two states: on and off. So I guess it is self explanatory. Anyway no, is not persistent and require the daemon to be installed otherwise it is going to do nothing. And yes, it use "mount -uw" which means update an already mounted read-only filesystem to be writable.

Should I install Clover Daemon?

If you are booting UEFI and you don't need to save the nvram at /nvram.plist (emulated nvram), and you don't need the root filesystem read write in Catalina, or you don't need to disable the Bonjour service called Sleep Proxy Client.... the answere is no.

If it is possible can you add tooltips for those, when mouse hover it? (It is just a suggestion)

Short answere is no, but for some reasons:

1. that require to be translated in all the languages the app is already using. 
  2. MBR and PBR are already common words in computer science.
  3. The goal here is only to surpass some of the problems the pkg have installing Clover.

What I can do to make things clear is to change "CloverEFI" to "BIOS" so that anyone will know options are for BIOS and not for UEFI.

I'll add also a clickable link to the first post of this topic in the app.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, vector sigma said:

No, they are disabled by default and get activated only if you want or wanted this (preference is saved). MBR means Master Boot Record and PBR means Partition Boot Record used by BIOS computers in the last 40 years.

What I can do to make things clear is to change "CloverEFI" to "BIOS" so that anyone will know options are for BIOS and not for UEFI.

One more stupid question: if I well understand, Clover.app is UEFI/ESP by default, for the installation. Right.

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks a lot @vector sigma for your great work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

One more stupid question: if I well understand, Clover.app is UEFI/ESP by default, for the installation. Right.

Hi.

I know UEFI and BIOS. ESP means EFI System Partition and can be used with both technologies. The ESP is the preferred place were to put EFI stuff.

i.e. Surely any firmware can read data in the ESP because has embedded FAT32 filesystem support.

Apple is special and do every things funcy instead:

apple firmware contains the proprietary HFSPlus.efi, the same often we are using ... just because extracted by an original Apple firmware.

On APFS storage, apfs.efi is taken from the OS, and Apple firmware know how to jump to this file. In a hack you need apfs.efi directly or ApfsDriverLoader.efi that jump to apfs.efi.

After that you probably wanted to say that Clover.app is not like the installer? Yes that is true. With the pkg you cannot target an ESP directly, so until now the workaround was to select a volume, find the relative ESP (if you wanted this)... mount it and create a symlink to deceive Installer.app to transfer things to the ESP.

Since CoreStorage/FUSION (and APFS later) things become complicated because is difficult to find the ESP (on the physical disk) knowing the virtual disks. Fusion and RAID complicate things becasue using two or more disks merged to be as one cause the fact that you can have multiple EFI partitions that belongs to your volume.... and you are in the situation the pkg cannot found the ESP or the correct one.

Clover.app doesn't have this limit as you can select the disk you want directly.

And yes, unless you did not voluntarily press one of the "CloverEFI", "MBR/PBR" buttons etc. the installation is UEFI only. Instead if you already done that, the preference is stored, and the next attempt "CloverEFI" will be selected again. Just as in the pkg.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vector sigma said:

Yes, that is making much clear to understand for everyone. 

• Like 2

first, @vector sigma thx for ur great work :)

tryin to use the new app on sierra, but the daemon is crashing since first release :/

thx :)

Process:               CloverDaemonNew [1518]
Path:                  /Library/Application Support/Clover/CloverDaemonNew
Identifier:            CloverDaemonNew
Version:               0
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
Responsible:           CloverDaemonNew [1518]
User ID:               0

Date/Time:             2019-11-20 20:47:50.647 +0100
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.12.6 (16G2136)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        5A1DBAEE-124C-FEF0-4CEC-5F641937407B

Time Awake Since Boot: 14000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @rpath/libswiftCore.dylib
  Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/Clover/CloverDaemonNew
  Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
       0x10df4d000 -        0x10df5bfff +CloverDaemonNew (0) <B777474C-3F1F-3FE1-B6A8-680DC8B3ACA7> /Library/Application Support/Clover/CloverDaemonNew
       0x11bc2c000 -        0x11bc69dc7  dyld (434) <33DB4E37-BC29-37A4-92AB-30328E66A8FA> /usr/lib/dyld
    0x7fff9791a000 -     0x7fff97db6fe7  com.apple.CoreFoundation (6.9 - 1350.10) <60A73360-EE24-33A2-BF37-08CB8B96D2D9> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
    0x7fff991fe000 -     0x7fff99203fff  com.apple.DiskArbitration (2.7 - 2.7) <F47E07A4-D69D-312A-82C8-A1EE3C7C0EAC> /System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration
    0x7fff99395000 -     0x7fff9973dff7  com.apple.Foundation (6.9 - 1349.93) <A3CF1205-DE81-37FE-A574-0D381DECF122> /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
    0x7fff998fe000 -     0x7fff99994fff  com.apple.framework.IOKit (2.0.2 - 1324.60.8) <46DA8966-AC27-3F51-BBB2-359A229BB0F7> /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
    0x7fffabbaa000 -     0x7fffabbabffb  libSystem.B.dylib (1238.60.2) <58358A17-4318-3AD9-B18E-CC36502B9127> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    0x7fffac858000 -     0x7fffacc2a047  libobjc.A.dylib (709.1) <70614861-0340-32E2-85ED-FE65759CDFFA> /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reelgirly said:

first, @vector sigma thx for ur great work :)

Thanks to you for trying!

2 hours ago, reelgirly said:

tryin to use the new app on sierra, but the daemon is crashing since first release :/

the problem appear to be this:

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @rpath/libswiftCore.dylib

Can you tell me if with this: Clover.app.zip the problem is solved? Thanks in advance. 

EDIT

if the above doesn't work there might be the need of this.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, vector sigma said:

Can you tell me if with this: Clover.app.zip the problem is solved? Thanks in advance. 

EDIT

if the above doesn't work there might be the need of this.

Without Runtime Support it crashes again, WITH it installed it works :)

perfect, thx :D

also got some graphical issues, the daemon buttons are not resized with another language and the close button is not aligned correctly :/

now im going to try out the new daemon and so on, will msg again if i find some issues :)

Snip20191124_1.png

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, reelgirly said:

Without Runtime Support it crashes again, WITH it installed it works :)

Thaaaaaaaanks! 

35 minutes ago, reelgirly said:

also got some graphical issues, the daemon buttons are not resized with another language and the close button is not aligned correctly :/

The buttons are voluntarily set to have a fixed size, otherwise the window becames too large. BTW I'll take a look as this miss aligned is not wanted.

I'm going to install El Capitan just in this moment and see what. Thanks again.

Edited by vector sigma

@vector sigma, no problem :)

- CloverLogOut v1.0.2: logout begin at 2019-11-24 02:37:35
Will use ESP disk0s1 as boot device is not found.
disk0s1 was already mounted.
nvram correctly saved to /Volumes/EFI with UUID: F87E8500-B3C9-3C30-9C2C-0DE93675F327.

--------------------------------------------
- CloverDaemonNew v1.0.7
- macOS Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G2136)
- System start at 2019-11-24 02:13:58
------
root mount point is '/Volumes/Untitled 2'
Started with an unknown firmware.
Clover.DisableSleepProxyClient is not set.
Logout hook is: /Library/Application Support/Clover/CloverDaemon-stopservice

SIGTERM received at 2019-11-24 02:37:35
Clover.DisableSleepProxyClient is not set.

first boot went good, also the nvram variable "Clover.Theme" set, was set and saved correctly, still there after booting...

using EmuVariableUefi.efi and HibernationFixup.kext since 10.12.x, cause hibernation is not working anymore like in 10.10.x as before, even i got working native nvram (even without RTC patches and so on)...

but found the "read bootlog" function is not working for me and any bootlog is written to "CloverEFI" log folder...

so my question, is there any bootlog rotation and if not prhps u could implement it as the daemon had it before...

another idea is to grey out the "mount rw" option on versions below catalina, as i understand it doenst have any usage there :/

EDIT:

as i ive seen prhps u can also integrate two switches to maintain the backup on install function...

and mount esp automatically, so i can throw out the old prefpane completely...

dont know about new authorization methods in catalina and so on but instead working with passowrd entrys u can switch to a privileged helper...

and last but not least, a monochrome icon to choose for statusbar also could be nice :D

EDIT 2:

"Launch at login" is also not working for me somehow :/ tried it clearing and setting again but its not opening, if i launch the loginhelper manually it starts... so dropped it rightnow simply to my loginitems...

just some thoughts :D but thanks again, really nice app...

Edited by reelgirly
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, reelgirly said:

but found the "read bootlog" function is not working for me and any bootlog is written to "CloverEFI" log folder...

I'll investigate

so my question, is there any bootlog rotation and if not prhps u could implement it as the daemon had it before...

in short no, I made everythings to show in the app just to not mess the system log and I prefear to fix it as long as I can.

another idea is to grey out the "mount rw" option on versions below catalina, as i understand it doenst have any usage there :/

Ok this will be done. Anyway is the daemon that do everythings as it check if root is writable, regardless of the OS version.

as i ive seen prhps u can also integrate two switches to maintain the backup on install function...

please elaborate as I am not sure I've understand. Anyway the backup is now in ~/Desktop/CloverBackUp as a lot of users wanted that.

and mount esp automatically, so i can throw out the old prefpane completely...

What's should be the pratical purpose of this functionality to the end? The app has a dedicate mount function only for ESPs.... so why mount it automatically?

dont know about new authorization methods in catalina and so on but instead working with passowrd entrys u can switch to a privileged helper...

This would be even easy to do but... this will kill the abilty for everyone to compile the app as a cerificate and a complicate setup will be required. Why it ask for a password.

"Launch at login" is also not working for me somehow :/ tried it clearing and setting again but its not opening, if i launch the loginhelper manually it starts... so dropped it rightnow simply to my loginitems...

As adviced by Apple the procedure require a secondary app (that is registered) that runs the principal one. The deployment target was set to 10.15, so I think this is solved locally, we'll see..

and last but not least, a monochrome icon to choose for statusbar also could be nice :D

Well, just ask and will be done. In truth I've only recycled the app icon to not add another one :)

Thanks for the detailed report!

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rodion2010 said:

can Clover.app be compiled for older OSes (Maverick?) with some changes in code or compiler options or it is impossible?

Not Impossible but due to the fact that the views uses Storyboards which only run in 10.10+, and due to the installer that uses NSCollectionViewLayout which is available in 10.11+ is actually not possible. But, I think I can do something starting from december 14 (otherwise no time left), and I need to create old xibs and just reuse the code we already have ...but staying away from NSCollectionViewLayout. Mavericks would be the minimum available version that can run swift and in fact the daemon and the logout programs are already set to run in 10.9.

• Like 2

@reelgirly try this: Clover.app.zip

It works good in 10.11 and I think I solved everythings. The CloverDaemonNew now uses the swift runtime already embedded in the app and so without the need to download it. Also I've added the "auto mount" ability:

auto.png.d05cb73de12f3f9eadacd1f4ffb51076.png

Once you selected an EFI partition you can set it as auto mount at start up. Require the daemon to be installed. Hope will work good in Sierra too.

• Like 2

Hi @vector sigma

Thanks for  "auto mount" option.

Just a question: in Clover.app (same thing in Clover.pkg), EFI partition remains mounted after installation or update. Is it possible to unmount it automatically at the end of the process instead of doing it manually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Just a question: in Clover.app (same thing in Clover.pkg), EFI partition remains mounted after installation or update. Is it possible to unmount it automatically at the end of the process instead of doing it manually.

Ok

27 minutes ago, telepati said:

Will you add an update option for your app or we will update the app always as manually?

Sure, it will just open a link in the browser ...and you will find it in ~/Downloads. Only is not yet implemented as I haven't had time to do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1