Help installing Mojave on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

852 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, etorix said:

No, I've never had a new board fail so spectacularly. Let's hope that Supermicro can send a replacement quickly.

Gloomy Monday…

{censored} happens, just part of everyday life. Got the RMA let's see how fast they'll ship the replacement.

1 hour ago, yapan4 said:

This is a very unpleasant situation in the life of every computer scientist. This alarms me a bit before a possible purchase. Hopefully this is not a defect of the whole batch of these motherboards.

Could be faulty power distributor or something burned down power were cut off from PSU. Could be just one off and not rushed off production. From the close inspection I saw nothing burned, exploded, short circuited, charred or otherwise defective on the visual.

Should get a new one hopefully tomorrow or day after and will resume the testing.

• Like 1

Update:

Got the motherboard today and managed to boot OC without the problem, Monterey Beta and Big Sur IMG_0035.thumb.jpeg.2480b759e7cca0023494da07962c0e60.jpegkernel panic with all the cores. With the HT disabled stuck on PCI configuration begin even with the npci=0x2000.

And some ACPI errors on the Big Sur.

At least some progress.

IMG_0034.thumb.jpeg.f0f5679454d21dca39c1439a7f549576.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, that was fast service from Supermicro and you've made progress! This also answers the question about the 64 thread limit: It's still there.

I suppose you have already tried npci=0x3000.

The ACPI error is a mystery to me. I looked at the corresponding code in SSDT-5.aml but I can't understand why it fails to initialise.

• Like 2

It seems to me that the boot process is similar to my x11sra-f, but when I made the first attempts to run Makos, the only kernel panic was with complaints about Lilu (possibly due to incorrect configuration of PCI subsystem - boot without npci-0x2000, disabled Above4g Decoding, etc). Now I will not remember all the moments, and it probably will not help in your case.

I can try to start with disabled HyperTrading and see what changes...

Update: nothing happens, macos boot as usual

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 21.11.53.png

Edited by yapan4

On 9/26/2021 at 2:13 PM, yapan4 said:

I'm not sure It seems Marvell AQC113 10Gb Ethernet is used in some Apple machine, hope DevID included in kext. I'm not sure about RTL8211F...

AQC113 under Windows 

PCI\VEN_1D6A&DEV_04C0&SUBSYS_1B5715D9&REV_03

From AIDA64

[ Marvell FastLinQ Edge 10Gbit Network Adapter [1D6A-04C0] [NoDB] ]
    Device Properties:
      Device Description                                Marvell FastLinQ Edge 10Gbit Network Adapter [1D6A-04C0] [NoDB]
      Bus Type                                          PCI Express 4.0 x4
      Bus / Device / Function                           6 / 0 / 0
      Device ID                                         1D6A-04C0
      Subsystem ID                                      15D9-1B57
      Device Class                                      0200 (Ethernet Controller)
      Revision                                          03

From Kext

<key>PCI AQC113 Matching</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                        <string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
                        <key>IOClass</key>
                        <string>AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion113</string>
                        <key>IOKitDebug</key>
                        <integer>0</integer>
                        <key>IONameMatch</key>
                        <array>
                                <string>pci1d6a,c0</string>
                                <string>pci1d6a,4c0</string>
                        </array>

20 hours ago, etorix said:

Well, that was fast service from Supermicro and you've made progress! This also answers the question about the 64 thread limit: It's still there.

I suppose you have already tried npci=0x3000.

No but I will when I get to it tonight. Looks like I'll be disabling 6 cores from BIOS which is stupid but hey ... Apple..

20 hours ago, etorix said:

The ACPI error is a mystery to me. I looked at the corresponding code in SSDT-5.aml but I can't understand why it fails to initialise.

Yeah I've been scratching my head over it too.

I'll be creating a new thread for this board so we won't flood this one with it mean while just some screenshots.

Cinebench.thumb.JPG.bf12a5df0f78a927ba5656ba1cb2561b.JPG

Geekbench.thumb.JPG.0ce38dce1f123f57c4a476984d69a9ad.JPG

EDIT:

Created separate topic to not Flood this one:

Edited by Balamut
  • Thanks 1

It will be a historic moment… when we have some Cinebench results under OS X. Slightly lower due to the 64 thread limits.

OK, this is neither Mojave nor C422, so let's jump to the new C621A support thread.

• Like 1

Updated Monterey beta from 8 to 9 without issues. Updated with full security enabled (file Vault, Vault and ApplesSecureBoot) Everything works like a charm.

Dual booting Windows 10 on the same disk works too after updating. Updated without changing SMBIOS. Just waiting for my Asus TPM 2.0 module so I can update Windows 10 to 11 😃1624102666_Screenshot2021-10-07at15_16_35.thumb.png.76b31b39474376a836c899b2688754c8.png

Edited by obus
  • Like 3

@yapan4 Good to know that SSDT-CPU-WRAP works.

But, on second look, my old SSDT declares the fake processors with a wrong ProcessorBaseAddress for your X11SRA-F motherboard :poster_oops:. It may not matter because all methods are wrapped (as Metacollin did), so all calls to CPU methods end up in the right place even though the fake Processor() object is incorrect. It should matter for the simplified wrapping, as I used in SSDT-CPU-WRAP3 for Balamut's X12SPA-TF (and as is used by Dortania's SSDT-CPUR and SSDT-HV-CPU).

Can you try this simplified SSDT instead? It should be a drop-in replacement if you rename it as 'SSDT-CPU-WRAP.aml', but I post it as 'SSDT-CPU-WRAP2.aml' to indicate some difference because it would not work for C621 boards which have 0x510 as PBaseAddress (as seen with Gigabyte C621-SU8 or Asus ProWS C621-64L SAGE/10G).

This SSDT-CPU-WRAP2.aml wraps 56 CPxx processor devices as PRxx processor objects with PBaseAddress 0x1810, as in your X11SRA-F.

SSDT-CPU-WRAP2.aml

• Like 2

Sorry, @etorix but I was on version 2.4 for a very short time and now I'm back on unlocked version 2.3. Maybe on the weekend I will make a patched BIOS 2.4 and try to switch to this version forever. If the result is needed urgently, I will try to find time in the middle of the week...

@etorix

BIOS v2.4 again, New CPU WRAP SSDT works the same as the previous one, at least that's how it looks to me. I can start from the installation flash drive and run the installer. Unfortunately, when I tried to install a clean fresh macos on the new BIOS, I ruined the old system and have problems installing a new one. So I write from Windows and I have limited opportunities to get logs 

preboot.log

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, etorix said:

Sad to read you have problem reinstalling. What's the issue, if it's not the new SSDT?

No no, I don't think so. This is probably a problem with the macos installer on the installation flash drive. This is one of the latest beta versions of Monterey, from which I made this flash drive. During installation, I see thousands of error messages in the installer log and eventually the installation hangs on "12 minutes remaining". I reworked the installation flash drive, in the evening I will try again...

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

Too much news:
  -new BIOS v2,4a
  -new beta 10
  -probably I need a new bootloader (I haven't installed the full version for a long time, only updates and now I don't know all the nuances during full install)

... and I don't know what to grab, he-he...

Probably i will wait until beta 10 full installer appears, then create flash drive and will do update all, lol

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

I report: Everything remains the same as on the previous attempt - macos and the installer start well, but the computer freezes on "About 12 minutes remaining". On this place should be the first restart but the installer for some reason can not complete the first stage of installation and just hangs the system. Only a hot reset helps. I don't know what causes this issue:(.

Update: I back to BIOS v2.3 and I am in macOS again. Conclusion - Something is wrong in the new BIOS (v2.4 and v2.4a). Maybe something with Hardware NVRAM (my speculation)

Edited by yapan4

2021/09/30 ASUS has released an update for Intel Management Engine for the motherboard WS C422 Pro/SE https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/MEUpdateTool_11.12.86.1877_T_WS.zip

Probably BIOS v2.4a for Supermicro X11SRA-F(released at about the same time) also contains this update and this is the only difference from v2.4

@etorix Can you shamanize something else to identify and get rid of the problem with HW NVRAM (or something else) on new x11sra-f BIOS?

I'm no shaman or wizard but I can always have a look at the new ACPI tables from BIOS v2.4a to see if something relevant has changed.

SSDT-PMC-X11SRA.aml should work on both v2.3 and v2.4; it may also work with Clover since it simply tips OS X where to find a memory region for NVRAM.

Here an updated OpenCore folder, 0.7.4 debug (for dumping ACPI), with simplified wrapping (SSDT-CPU-WRAP2) and the Aquantia patch I've found in your Clover config.plist.

EFI_OC074d_X11SRA.zip SSDT-PMC-X11SRA.aml

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Have a little problem with my TitanRidge thunderbolt cards after uppgrading my rig to latest bios. 

With my old bios my card was showing up two enumerated ports (SS01 and SS02) in IOReg. With the new bios the card is showing up but there is no enumerated ports and attached USB-C devices are not connecting. I have seen this with other versions of bioses for my Asus C422 rig. Some are working fine with my two TitanRidge cards and other does not.

Is this an irresolvable bios problem or is there maybe a soloution?

Happy for any help?😊

Spoiler

617733114_Screenshot2021-11-06at16_10_29.thumb.png.80805e709509db89b6b5014f92c6d74b.png.225a80edee710cbdb92f3d1753f30b52.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@yapan4
@obus

Hello Gents. A few years back I followed your insight and built the rig in my signature. As you can tell I'm a bit left back in the times in its current state. It works well and its my current work system. I'm kind being forced to update it as adobe won't let me update to the latest and greatest of their offerings. 

After reading this thread I see you guys have seriously advanced in adding functionality we only dreamed of back then. I am reaching out to see if you guys would help me get my rig updated to the latest and greatest in the most stable manor. At this current moment given my recent workload I just don't have time to tinker around with my daily driver hence why I'm reaching out to you for help. I have a few questions below that I would truly appreciate if you could help me with.

1)What is the latest most current stable BIOS I should update to before starting this process?

2)What is the state of sleep and CPU PM? I have a native iMacPro CPU does that matter? 

3)Would it be possible for one of you gents to share one of your latest working OC EFI folder with all needed supporting files to help me speed up the process and not to have any downtime at work? I hate to ask as i feel a bit ashamed its just that I'm mega strapped for time and overloaded with work and need a quick fix for my current situation. 

Once I get to the shop tomorrow I will update my signature some more as i don't have some of the info as i write this from my X99 rig at home. I do have a TB cars Id love to get working also to be able to use as video passthrough for a 5K screen a buddy gifted me. Anyhow thats my rant. I thank you a million times over ahead of time for any help possible.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 3:14 AM, Mad Audi Scientist said:

1)What is the latest most current stable BIOS I should update to before starting this process?

2)What is the state of sleep and CPU PM? I have a native iMacPro CPU does that matter? 

3)Would it be possible for one of you gents to share one of your latest working OC EFI folder with all needed supporting files to help me speed up the process and not to have any downtime at work? I hate to ask as i feel a bit ashamed its just that I'm mega strapped for time and overloaded with work and need a quick fix for my current situation. 

1) If you should configure your rig with THB (Titan Ridge) the latest working BIOS is 3003. (patched without ASUS logo attached)

2) Sleep is working perfect with and without THB - card installed. (You need to uncheck "wake for network access" in System Preferences)

3) Attached EFI  with latest OC 0.7.7 should work OOB on your rig. You have to disable SSDT-HOTPLUG-TITAN-TB3-1.aml in config.plist --> ACPI if you don't have any THB card (Titan Ridge) in  slot pciex4_1. Maybe you should disable SSDT-GFX0.aml too under ACPI, because my graphics is RX Vega 64.

You need to fill in ROM, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID in config.plist --> Platforminfo --> Generic.

Good Luck

EFI_C422_iMacPro1.1-BIOS_3003_OC_0-7-7.zip WSCSE.CAP.zip

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, obus said:

1) If you should configure your rig with THB (Titan Ridge) the latest working BIOS is 3003. (patched without ASUS logo attached)

2) Sleep is working perfect with and without THB - card installed. (You need to uncheck "wake for network access" in System Preferences)

3) Attached EFI  with latest OC 0.7.7 should work OOB on your rig. You have to disable SSDT-HOTPLUG-TITAN-TB3-1.aml in config.plist --> ACPI if you don't have any THB card (Titan Ridge) in  slot pciex4_1. Maybe you should disable SSDT-GFX0.aml too under ACPI, because my graphics is RX Vega 64.

You need to fill in ROM, SystemSerialNumber and SystemUUID in config.plist --> Platforminfo --> Generic.

Good Luck

If you are using Digital out use this config.plist for working ALCS1220A and if you are using AppleSecure boot and Vault use the config._Vault_AppleSecurity 2 file attached.

If using this you need to generate a ApECID with Phyton according to this guide (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/security/applesecureboot.html#securebootmodel) and paste under Misc --> Security --> ApECID

config._Vault_AppleSecurity.plist.zip config_ALCS1220A.plist.zip

Edited by obus
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Recently discovered one great feature of our motherboard (in its fifth year of use😃)

Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 10.03.37.png

Anyone using this?

Nobody?
Then quick guide.

Part One - Hardware:
1.Turn Power Off, AC off
2.Remove Graphics Card.
3.Install werified fully working microSD Memory Card.
4.Install back Graphics Card.
5.End of Part One, AC On and Power On.

Part Two - Software.
Ofcourse you Network settings for IPMI are properly configured and works yet. 
1.Open Web Brouser, connect and log in BMC WEB GUI.

Spoiler

26417274_Screenshot2022-10-13at18_38_39.thumb.png.5c08e26ee5057d41c8b1751c72f7f1b8.png

2.Chose Settings -> Media Redirection Settings.

Spoiler

1692735408_Screenshot2022-10-13at18_45.32(2).thumb.png.5b6ccd02d194342717fac140224435c3.png

3.Chose VMedia Instance Settings.

Spoiler

2065424986_Screenshot2022-10-13at18_48.30(2).thumb.png.3f8c933b69d0f9e27f76b0e6496ff2af.png

Spoiler

1489806533_Screenshot2022-10-13at18_50.20(2).thumb.png.41fc2effcabc32475b4760758d438ffb.png

4.Enable Emulate SD Media as USB disk to Host and Disable Power Save Mode.

Spoiler

39341211_Screenshot2022-10-13at19_08.46(2).thumb.png.4939644150225e8047ae80d6efa2a223.png

5.Press Save butoon to save  your settings.
6. If new drive apears on your Desctop, You are done. Now you can use this virtual drive as usual USB drive. For example I created Ventura beta installation drive. It's bootable and can work when in some reason don't work you onboard USB(or some USB ports).  

I hope it will be useful to someone.

Edited by yapan4
  • Thanks 1