Help installing Mojave on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

852 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2019 at 12:43 AM, obus said:

Hi all with C422 mobo:s.

Test this OC version 0.0.4 "as is". Don't remove anything not even the SSDT-ALL in ACPI-folder. If you need any other SSDT:s integrate them in SSDT-ALL otherwise you have to change in config.plist -> ACPI -> Add according to attached manual Configuration.pdf .  

(My SSDT-ALL.aml contains only SSDT-PLUG = 1 (XCPM) ,SSDT-EC-USBX (Buspower) and Method DTGP, and this should be default for all C422-boards)

You need to provide MLB,ROM,Serial and SystemUUID in config.plist -> Platforminfo -> Generic according to attached manual Configuration.pdf.

I still use FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC because it works better with iStat. This is a debug version so if you have problems booting there will be log-file created in the root of the EFI-folder.

This EFI should work OOB. Test and give feedback.

EFI.zip

Configuration.pdf

Hi Obus,

I tried your configuration, but the boot halt with "Security Violation"...Log attached. Any suggestions?

My hardware:

C422 Sage 10G

Xeon W-2140B

VEGA

OpenCore is put into a Mojave USB install drive's EFI partition.

Thank you!

opencore-2009-03-12-050402.txt

@obus @yapan4 @fabiosun

Big Good News, after using yapan4 oc005 I am getting now power management .

Geekbench socre is now 37k Cinebench r20 is 5900.

I think it might have to do with ram speed because mine is 2133 ddr4 ecc.

thanks a lot. all of you. in clover without bootstrap patch whatever I try I could not pass the randomseed.

^. ^ Big greetings from Thailand. 

also one discovery I made. on 1202 bios of Asus c422 I can not get into bios setting when clover or oc is there. 

I need to delete oc or clover on my ssd first to go and config bios setting.

indeed I just discover that this might be bios issue. because it also happened on my h370 Asus motherboard that I sent for RMA. now waiting for that board to return.

2 hours ago, hotbullet said:

@yapan4 if I put those 

my system will stuck at randomseed.

I tried using this as @obus discovery but my system will only boot in os with bootstrap enabled. otherwise it will stuck at ranndomseed.

Hmm... Ok, I recheck...

Edited by yapan4

3 hours ago, addoil said:

Hi Obus,

I tried your configuration, but the boot halt with "Security Violation"...Log attached. Any suggestions?

My hardware:

C422 Sage 10G

Xeon W-2140B

VEGA

OpenCore is put into a Mojave USB install drive's EFI partition.

Thank you!

opencore-2009-03-12-050402.txt

Send me your EFI.

Did you change anything in my EFI like Vault/Signature in Misc -> Security or something?

Edited by obus

3 hours ago, hotbullet said:

also one discovery I made. on 1202 bios of Asus c422 I can not get into bios setting when clover or oc is there. 

I need to delete oc or clover on my ssd first to go and config bios setting.

This has nothing to do with your bios. It works fine for me.  How are you dealing with clover respectively OC EFI partition when booting? Never OC and clover on more than one or on the same disk simultaneously. Don't mix them. Keep it clean.

Try Del/F2 with a USB keyboard.

Edited by obus

On 4/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, apianti said:

Yes the difference is the firmware.

EDIT: I realize that you CAN buy those CPUs outside the supply chain, but I was trying to say that they are most likely not similar enough for the firmware to know what to do with extra stuff I'm assuming is there or why did they have special mac-only models made when it would have been cheaper to source already made CPUs?

Hi @apianti

is it possible to implement this in to clover:

https://github.com/acidanthera/OcSupportPkg/pull/12

Edited by obus
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, obus said:

This has nothing to do with your bios. It works fine for me.  How are you dealing with clover respectively OC EFI partition when booting? Never OC and clover on more than one or on the same disk simultaneously. Don't mix them. Keep it clean.

Try Del/F2 with a USB keyboard.

@obusOk finally I can use your oc folder. It was my bad I didn't know how to edit mlb and so on. Which tool did you use to edit? Config. Plist for oc? I I used your config.plist as base and used mackie oc configurator to generate serial number.

There is no sound however. How did you get your tb to hot plug? Right now my tb works but no hotplug.

2 hours ago, hotbullet said:

@obusOk finally I can use your oc folder. It was my bad I didn't know how to edit mlb and so on. Which tool did you use to edit? Config. Plist for oc? I I used your config.plist as base and used mackie oc configurator to generate serial number.

There is no sound however. How did you get your tb to hot plug? Right now my tb works but no hotplug.

Xcode is the one and only for editing config.plist and macserial for generating serials.

I have no clue about your hardware (nothing in signature) so I can't tell why you don't get any sound. If you use a RX Vega 56 or 64 my config should give you sound OOB if you use attached SSDT-ALL.aml. I f you use a Titan Ridge THB 3 card then attached SSDT should give you working hot plug to if your card is connected in the PCIEx4_1 slot. You need to connect the USB connector too for fully working hot plug.

Test and give feedback. 

SSDT-ALL.aml

Ok, @hotbullet, maybe I was wrong. It's a long time in Catalina beta and important things from Mojave are forgotten, Sorry.

Try this EFI folder

For Open Core sound you need insert correct PCI address for you Sound device into config.plist. This address is individual for each build. Use PCI tab in Hackintool.app  

r4933 ASUS.zip

7 hours ago, addoil said:

EFI attached.

I did not change anything except for the MLB/SN/UUID in config.plist.

EFI.zip

What kind of hardware are you using? I can't know because you have nothing in your signature!!??

You need to fill in all fields in PlatformInfo -> Generic (you missed ROM).

ROM is the Mac adress for your ethernetcard.

Test this one and don't miss to fill in everything under PatformInfo.

EFI.zip

Edited by obus

14 hours ago, obus said:

What kind of hardware are you using? I can't know because you have nothing in your signature!!??

You need to fill in all fields in PlatformInfo -> Generic (you missed ROM).

ROM is the Mac adress for your ethernetcard.

Test this one and don't miss to fill in everything under PatformInfo.

EFI.zip

Hi Obus,

Thank you for the new EFI. I filled in the MLB/SN/ROM/UUID. With the new EFI, I can post to the boot menu and have installed Mojave!

I am now trying to make onboard Intel X550-AT2 10G ethernet working. Will update later on the system status. 

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, addoil said:

Hi Obus,

Thank you for the new EFI. I filled in the MLB/SN/ROM/UUID. With the new EFI, I can post to the boot menu and have installed Mojave!

I am now trying to make onboard Intel X550-AT2 10G ethernet working. Will update later on the system status. 

Thanks again!

:thumbsup_anim:

Is THB hot plug working with my SSDT-ALL.aml?

Edited by obus

On 9/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, obus said:

:thumbsup_anim:

Is THB hot plug working with my SSDT-ALL.aml?

Hmmm...I don't have a THB card to test.

An update on the onboard 10G X550-AT2 ethernet: I made the card working by following the guide here: 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/modify-retail-intel-10gbe-nics-to-use-small-tree-macos-drivers.1968456/

A short guide from my notes:

1. Boot with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS live USB drive (try Ubuntu without install)

2. Backup EEPROM

sudo ethtool -e enp179s0f0 raw on > enp179s0f0.bin
    sudo ethtool -e enp179s0f1 raw on > enp179s0f1.bin

3. List device:

lspci -nn -vvv | grep Ethernet

Result shows that the Vender ID is 8086, Device ID is 1563, Subsystem is 1043:8712. These numbers may be different for your system.

4. Find which byte to change:

sudo ethtool -e enp179s0f0 | grep "12 87"

Result:

0x0240:      43 10 12 87 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00

5. Make changes to EEPROM

TODO:
    Goal: 1043:8712 -> 8086:000a
    0x0240: 43 -> 86
    0x0241: 10 -> 80
    0x0242: 12-> 0a
    0x0243: 87 -> 00

Command:

sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f0 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0240 value 0x86
    sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f0 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0241 value 0x80
    sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f0 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0242 value 0x0a
    sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f0 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0243 value 0x00

sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f1 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0240 value 0x86
    sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f1 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0241 value 0x80
    sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f1 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0242 value 0x0a
    sudo ethtool -E enp179s0f1 magic 0x15638086 offset 0x0243 value 0x00

6.   Install kext using Smalltree official driver package to S/L/E did not work. Had to move kext to OC/kext and modify config.plist

Hope it helps someone.

Edited by addoil
Typo of Device ID
  • Like 2

"The younger sister" of our motherboard

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-C422-ACE/

ASUS has completely cut out the server part.

As a result, there is a home desktop motherboard with Xeon W- s2066 CPU support

update 1: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-C422-ACE/HelpDesk_CPU CPU support list (probably not full yet) - now CascadeLake-X i9-10xxx supported by C422 chipset!

update 2: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/124664/cascade-lake.html New Cascade Lake Xeon W-22xx series for socket 2066

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 8:32 PM, yapan4 said:

"The younger sister" of our motherboard

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-C422-ACE/

ASUS has completely cut out the server part.

As a result, there is a home desktop motherboard with Xeon W- s2066 CPU support

update 1: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-C422-ACE/HelpDesk_CPU CPU support list (probably not full yet) - now CascadeLake-X i9-10xxx supported by C422 chipset!

update 2: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/124664/cascade-lake.html New Cascade Lake Xeon W-22xx series for socket 2066

Nice but no Thunderbolt^_^

24 minutes ago, obus said:

Nice but no Thunderbolt^_^

...and only PCI-e x16, no x1 or x4:(. Let's see what the price will be...

And prise for Xeon W-2223 and W-2225 is the same as W-2123 and W-2125:( Intel reduced the price only for top CPUs

On 10/19/2019 at 5:50 AM, addoil said:

Have you guys updated to latest Catalina? ^_^

Yes but still problem with EC (AppleBusPowerController). Works in Mojave but something is different in Catalina and I don't know what yet. 

Edited by obus