Zune isn't compatible with...Vista?

REVENGE

81 posts in this topic

But the funny thing is that the Zune was released AFTER Vista RTM'd! That's what makes this whole thing stupid on Microsoft's part. Think of all the loyal Microsoft users who have been testing the betas and RC's of Vista, only to find out that the nice new Zune they bought (to support their favorite company) won't work with the OS they are testing for the same company! To add insult to injury, Microsoft has just given away copies of Vista to any of the official beta testers who submitted at least one bug report!

*stands and claps* THANK YOU! Now maybe some will understand this. Vista and Zune should be hand in hand and when Vista is RTM before Zune, the compatibility SHOULD be there. Microsoft oh stupid Microsoft. :)

REVENGE: There are alot, like me, have dial up, and patches may be alot to download. Maybe not, but Microsoft's patches usually are big for dial up. So to many, this will be a pain to fix when Microsoft should have done it right....

Also, you throw around the 'brick wall' comment several times, which you claim isn't a personal attack, yet I'm the one who has had to repeat myself several times and I have had others completely ignore what I've said. Logically, who would this 'brick wall' be ?

Forget the brick wall, now your officially a broken record :)

The Zune comes preloaded with both some music and videos. You can find a listing of the included content on some of the popular sites.

i was making a joke about the error screen and what "kind" of videos those might be...hint, hint

i totally agree that it doesn't matter if the software supports vista yet; vista isn't out and it doesn't need to. i'd rather they take a little more time to release it and have it work the right way.

anyone here think the ui is better looking than the ipod's? if they could just take the iu and put it on an ipod i'd be completely happy.

Oh, I see, rollcage, haha. :o Also, I agree, the GUI is pretty good and it seems everyone (Well, on big sites like Ars Technica and so on) agrees too.

All of you have failed to address why Zune support is necessary for business users and until than, you're wrong. So here is the question again, why does a business need support for a leisure device and how is this lack of support 'stupid' ? They still have time to release a Vista version of the software too (You know, the whole Vista isn't out yet thing and RMT doesn't mean it's out as I've tried to point out several times) so you naysayers are a little early to the party. :P

i was making a joke about the error screen and what "kind" of videos those might be...hint, hint

i totally agree that it doesn't matter if the software supports vista yet; vista isn't out and it doesn't need to. i'd rather they take a little more time to release it and have it work the right way.

anyone here think the ui is better looking than the ipod's? if they could just take the iu and put it on an ipod i'd be completely happy.

Even if the UI is better, should it matter? Personally I think the simplest UI would be the best as I hope it would be easier to navigate, requires less memory to store, and require less memory to draw everything. I would assume it would be better for battery life, but its just a personal preference I guess :P, what do you think, simpler or better looking?

Edit: I think someone told me that its the backlight that sucks the battery power, not just the UI, so I guess my statements would be void. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Even if the UI is better, should it matter?
Of course it matters ! A good GUI is a massive thing.
Personally the simplest UI is the best as its easy to navigate, requires less memory to store, and requires less memory to draw everything. I would assume it would be best for battery life I would think, but I guess its just a personal preference I guess :P, what do you think, simpler or better looking?
It can be both simple and 'better' looking, which it seems is the case for the Zune. Also, 'not being simple' doesn't mean it has higher memory usage and power to run.

Mobile phones used to have all black/white (Or greyscale, however you want to say it) GUIs (Well, screens) but now they're colour and are better in every way and are still simple even though they have colour and other small things.

Of course it matters ! A good GUI is a massive thing.

It can be both simple and 'better' looking, which it seems is the case for the Zune. Also, 'not being simple' doesn't mean it has higher memory usage and power to run.

Mobile phones used to have all black/white (Or greyscale, however you want to say it) GUIs (Well, screens) but now they're colour and are better in every way and are still simple even though they have colour and other small things.

Good points, I guess it depends on the user how they like the GUI and what they use it for, but I have to poke at the mobile phone example. Before I say anything, this isnt a personal attack or anything if you love having a fancy camera phone with instant access and all that stuff. This to bring a different aspect to the rapidly evolving technology in mobile phones, or at least I hope it will.

You say having color screens and the other things are way better, but are they better because they serve a vital purpose, or are they there because the company puts them in there to say "ooh ahh we have this." A strong personal belief of mine is that mobile phone technology is out of control. We dont need built in cameras, or instant web access to download things. ok email access is important, but is it practical to try and type an important email with a keypad? Oh a big one for me=. Who really needs tons of ringtones like, "hmm I like this guy/girl, whenever they call they get this special ringtone." Its pointless and irritating to here people brag about their ringtones. Personally a phone should consist of just the basic features.

Calls and Text messaging so you can still keep in contact while not disturbing others.

Decent service that can get in basements, harder to reach areas.

Oh ways to transmit the voice without potentially causing brain cancer would be nice :P

I find in mobile phones, simpler is better. I guess I kind of ranted, but I have strong feelings on this and hope others can understand why.

@BlackShadowWolf

I don't care about having a fancy phone with all the new/cool things (And I don't), I'm just pointing out that the Zune interface isn't some huge step away from being simple simply because it has a couple of small effects and so on.

While there are some useless things on phones, things like cameras are not important per se but they are incredibly useful. I don't use any web related things on my phone, not even email thought I have it set up I just don't really care, maybe when I start receiving important emails every day I will.

Oh man, I hated in high school when you had the morons in the lower grades playing their ringtones on their new [and usually bad] phone just to be cool.

I'm against a phone being completely utilitarian (For lack of a better word) because I do several things on my phone a lot which are not calls/messages and that being using the calendar to organise things, games when I'm bored (This happens like once every 2 weeks and I usually just play mario for a couple of minutes) and the rare photo (Of useless things, if I don't have a camera on me or of someone so I can attach it to their details on my phone which is also useless but it's neat to see my friend's face instead of their name :shock:).. actually, so aside from calls/messages the only other thing I use a lot is the calendar.

I understand your view point and I agree for the most part too. :censored2: I also would take simplicity over 'extras' any day.

- Thank you for 3 things, I believe you're the first person to read a post of mine in it's entirety, understand it and reply to it with a good couner-argument or just a different view point. :D

- No need to say this 'isn't a personal attack' unless it actually is one and you're trying to cover it, I don't really care if you disagree with him just when people start saying you're a brick wall/fanboy constantly. :)

- And yes, the brightness of the screen is a strong factor in determining how long the battery life will last on anything on a portable device (Especially laptops).

@kiko

That's completely uncalled for and not cool. Also, if you want me to be quiet show how my arguments are incorrect or present a reason as to why I don't have the same posting rights as others [in relation to posting my opinion, presenting something in a discussion, etc], instead of saying 'STFU.'

Oh, I'm sorry i didnt mean it personally i didnt want it to be a personal attack, nah jokes. You have good points, but just a little pointer, dont call other people fanboys, when from reading your posts you seem to be a M$ fanboy yourself.

I haven't called anyone a fanboy (Though I have pointed out how others have called me one) and I am not a MS fanboy and if I was, why would I own Apple products and use Apple apps ? :shock:

The only things which are remotely pro-MS is just me correcting others on things Vista/Zune related which hardly makes me a fanboy. :censored2:

How so ? I mean, with the Zune it's better than iTunes/iPod in some places, for example, you can re-download a song several times with the Zune and you can't (Or not as many times) with the iTunes/iPod combo.

Or which parts are you talking about ? Specifics are fun. :)

All of you have failed to address why Zune support is necessary for business users and until than, you're wrong. So here is the question again, why does a business need support for a leisure device and how is this lack of support 'stupid' ? They still have time to release a Vista version of the software too (You know, the whole Vista isn't out yet thing and RMT doesn't mean it's out as I've tried to point out several times) so you naysayers are a little early to the party. :P

Go back and read my previous post. For thousands upon thousands of users, Vista IS out, and not just for businesses. Every beta tester who submitted at least one bug report now has a free copy of it. Many people who participated in the CPP are running RC2 as a primary OS (yes, it is close enough to release quality IMHO to do that). Don't you think that many of those people have bought Zunes? Face facts, your argument that "Vista isn't out, so it doesn't matter" is just a load of BS, because like it or not, VISTA IS OUT, and being used (legally) by thousands of people, many of which possibly own Zunes. For those users, the lack of Vista support IS A PROBLEM.

We won't even get into the fact that thousands of people are also running Vista RTM from pirated versions.

Go back and read my previous post. For thousands upon thousands of users, Vista IS out, and not just for businesses. Every beta tester who submitted at least one bug report now has a free copy of it. Many people who participated in the CPP are running RC2 as a primary OS (yes, it is close enough to release quality IMHO to do that). Don't you think that many of those people have bought Zunes? Face facts, your argument that "Vista isn't out, so it doesn't matter" is just a load of BS, because like it or not, VISTA IS OUT, and being used (legally) by thousands of people, many of which possibly own Zunes. For those users, the lack of Vista support IS A PROBLEM.

We won't even get into the fact that thousands of people are also running Vista RTM from pirated versions.

Another good post and the point is still made clear, though some can't or won't listen/read it.