AptioMemoryFix

vit9696
595 posts in this topic

EDIT: Maybe it panics only when it actually has data to change? Otherwise it probably just returns EFI_SUCCESS and exists.

Could be, I guess.

Yes, I know it should. But I was more referring to a situation in which from some reason guarding doesn't work on the newer Aptio.

It is very hard to believe, to be honest. You can probably ensure it by asserting that NumEntriesLeft is 0 by the end of this function:

https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg/blob/6a21a30d090721ff4620dd22bb91d4dca93e8db4/Platform/AptioMemoryFix/RtShims.c#L302

21 hours ago, vit9696 said:

It is very hard to believe, to be honest. You can probably ensure it by asserting that NumEntriesLeft is 0 by the end of this function:

https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg/blob/6a21a30d090721ff4620dd22bb91d4dca93e8db4/Platform/AptioMemoryFix/RtShims.c#L302

Thanks, as you expected, it is 0.

What puzzles me, is that if it indeed is a DXE/SMM issue, shouldn't it have affected Windows/Linux nvram writes as well? That's why I thought it should be something specific to the mac-specific reallocation.

Just for reference, here is the memory map from my system:

Spoiler

As outputted from shell: memmap.txt

And by AptioMemoryFix:

IMG-6393.thumb.jpg.b154fe9b40677a7f405ac4568f42839a.jpgIMG-6395.thumb.jpg.e825de98103c5e301de637df0b9b86ca.jpgIMG-6397.thumb.jpg.5156a238bee566728419e1d59dcf82fa.jpg

Edited by Pene
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi

Sorry for my beginners question: where should install cleannvram.efi in the EFI folder: Tools or drivers64UEFI?

Thanks

Tools. Drivers from drivers64UEFI started automatically I wonder if you want it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I want to use AptioMemoryFix with native nvram on my GA-Z390 Aorus Master/i9-9900k, but I found a strange problem, once I install this driver into clover/drivers64UEFI and remove any aptiofix*/emunvram driver, my mac will halt about 30-60 seconds on every reboot/shutdown, 

so I start in verbose mode, and when reboot, I got this "TLB invalidation IPI timeout" panic

no matter what smc I'm using(fakesmc/virtualsmc), no matter how I change the clover dsdt patches, it always give this panic on every reboot/shutdown.

when I switch to OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, this panic is gone.

so what's wrong?

屏幕快照 2018-12-17 上午10.56.27.png

I think I know why AptioMemoryFix is causing this problem and AptioFix1 and EmuVar fixes the issue. Because the shims/setvariable runtime are located in physical memory that is not the kernelspace (since they are prevented from being relocated by boot.efi) and from Pene's panic you can see the vm map is being destroyed. This panic is being caused by the translation lookaside buffer (TLB), which is responsible for the virtual to physical address translation, waiting to be invalidated on all cpus. Which means that the shims/setvariable runtime no longer have a valid virtual address translation because they are gone from the memory map and TLB cache. This is a problem since these panics are happening not on cpu 0, where any calls to the EFI runtime should be taking place, that cpu is probably stuck in a loop trying to hit the TLB cache as you can see happens from the pmap_flush_tlbs function which is probably called when a miss occurs (or another function because there is a page fault, i didn't look close enough to what code actually is invoked when this happens) but this probably takes much longer than the timeout deadline or the vm map is locked preventing the lookup/page fault from even attempting to figure out which page information to cache in the TLB.

EDIT: I believe this would happen with AptioFix2 as well without EmuVar. However, this will probably result is a page fault for trying to write in write protected memory instead.

EDIT2: AptioFix2 and EmuVar may give the same panic though since the native nvram would not be used and there would be no page fault for write protection.

EDIT3: Also, yes, setvariable is only called at shutdown/reboot when the information has changed. The man page for nvram says:

Changes to NVRAM variables are only saved by clean restart or shutdown.

EDIT4: Pene's other panics provide much more information that lead me to believe that this is indeed the case, as the second image appears to show the problem pretty well the interrupt fails, also the third image has a pretty good message of "no mapping exists for frame pointer".

EDIT5: EFI runtime doesn't have to be called from cpu 0 if the os has a locking mechanism to prevent multiple accesses at once, which it must since it's called from different cpus in each of the panics.

Edited by apianti

While this theory does sound interesting, I am afraid it is not correct. UEFI Memory map does include both shims and and other areas, so it is not correct to assume that the virtual address is unmapped, as it is reserved by XNU.

The panic literally means that one of the cores stalled within UEFI runtime, and while the rest of the system reached userspace unmapping, the UEFI runtime thread still did not finish its job.

Most likely it is infinitely waiting for SMI.

• Like 1

well, with my board, it's not possible to use AptioFix2/3, they always failed to start, but with AptioMemoryFix, I only got this panic when I try to reboot/shutdown mac. but it boots fine.

so, is there possible solution that I can help test?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vit9696 said:

While this theory does sound interesting, I am afraid it is not correct. UEFI Memory map does include both shims and and other areas, so it is not correct to assume that the virtual address is unmapped, as it is reserved by XNU.

The panic literally means that one of the cores stalled within UEFI runtime, and while the rest of the system reached userspace unmapping, the UEFI runtime thread still did not finish its job.

Most likely it is infinitely waiting for SMI.

Did you read the functions that Pene's panic backtrace? Because I went through them and the place where it is panicking is exactly because it has destroyed the vm map and is flushing the TLB, waiting on the other cpus to also flush their TLB. This is a race condition and why there are multiple panics. If it's in an SMI, then there would be no possibility for this panic to happen because an SMI prevents any other core from running not in SMM:

Operations in SMM take CPU time away from the applications, operating system kernel and hypervisor, with the effects magnified for multicore processors since each SMI causes all cores to switch modes.

Therefore it would have to either have returned, never entered, or the panic would be that there was a timeout for the SMI and would have the text "NMIPI for unresponsive processor: interrupt watchdog for vector ...".

Edited by apianti

4 hours ago, steve3d said:

well, with my board, it's not possible to use AptioFix2/3, they always failed to start, but with AptioMemoryFix, I only got this panic when I try to reboot/shutdown mac. but it boots fine.

so, is there possible solution that I can help test?

Hi

I found a guide for you amazing config GA-Z390 Aorus Master/i9-9900k via reddit. Waiting a solution with Aptiomemoryfix. 

https://github.com/cmer/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-hackintosh

Edited by Matgen84

9 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Hi

I found a guide for you amazing config GA-Z390 Aorus Master/i9-9900k via reddit. Waiting a solution with Aptiomemoryfix. 

https://github.com/cmer/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-hackintosh

Ok, well this guide shows that AptioFix2-free2000 (such a bad driver...) and EmuVar work which means you can see if this panic happens still or if it is related to only the prevention of the relocation of runtime code regions.

• Like 1

well, unfortunately, I've read about this guide somewhere, and my first config is almost 90% similar to this. but my situation is a little different here, because this board only have one hdmi 1.4 output, so my 4k monitor is useless with igpu, I have to use my old nv 970 card as dgpu, so that's why I'm still stuck with 10.13.6.

and with these setting, the AptioFix2-free2000 driver also gives me a allocation error, and can not boot at all.

but all the config.plist so far about this ga-z390 aorus master as one common big mistake, which is that this board comes with a CNVi wifi/bluetooth. the bluetooth works only if you boot into windows first, then back to mac, then you will find out that the bluetooth works. of course without instant hotspot and continuexxx(I have chinese version, so I forgot how to spell this correctly). so this cnvi bluetooth problem is that when cold boot into mac, there is no way to upload the firmware.

so this random hangup only happens when I use AptioMemoryFix, with or without nvramemu, it always hangs when reboot/shutdown.

the core cause this TLB error is totally random.

anyway, thank you Matgen84 and apianti. :)

I can use this bluetooth to pair with headphone, iphone, android. So I'm very positive about this bluetooth works. why need a 3rd 4.2/4.1/4.0 bluetooth while you can have a bluetooth 5.0?

• Like 1

Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled

Peripherals → USB Configuration → Legacy USB Support : Auto

and another strange thing is, almost every guide says I need this XHCI hand-off set to enable. but, now I'm using the setting disabled. and this legacy usb support, I also set it to disabled. nothing happens. and yesterday, I found no matter what I set these two bios setting, EVERYTHING USB port works. 

in case you might be intreseted, I'm attaching my config.plist and bootlog.txt here. I don't have any ssdt/dsdt patch, because I don't know how and what to patch.

bootlog.txt

config.plist

Edited by steve3d

@apianti, well, obviously, it is not (constantly) in SMM, just constantly busy-loops in 0 ring within SmmCommProtocol->Communicate (you may check its src). Should have been slightly more clear. The functions are pretty much irrelevant, though I am aware of them. Unmapping of UEFI Runtime cannot happen.

For all the others: you have no other choice but AptioMemoryFix + EmuVariableEfi. Other insanity will doom you.

Edited by vit9696
  • Like 4

In this case, as you say it's not constantly in SMM, even in an infinite loop, a NMI still interrupts (even another interrupt since these are generated in hardware by the APIC), meaning that it could still be interrupted by a page fault or the TLB invalidation interrupt. The kernel and its interrupts operate in ring 0 so this has nothing to do with anything or there would be a general protection fault for any interrupt during the EFI runtime code, which is shown not to be true by the panic backtrace. This is needed since the code an interrupt may use may also not be mapped and throws a page fault or similar fault, it is by design. You are wrong about unmapping of UEFI regions look at hibernate_newruntime_map, it removes the mapping for previous UEFI regions from the kernel map and remaps new ones. This is the same map that is destroyed by vm_map_destroy, all mappings are removed except the kernel. Read the kernel source, specifically those functions that are specified in the panic backtrace. The second panic even shows that there is a call to pal_efi_call_in_64bit_mode which is the wrapper to the call to the efi function that is mysteriously not in the call stack, which is being interrupted, and that gets interrupted by a local APIC interrupt, then another interrupt and ends in the panic of TLB flush timeout. You can search through the kernel source and see that if the problem was anything else other than there being no mapping for the virtual address in the TLB there would be a different outcome.

I have another old computer which has z97 board and old xeon v3 cpu. I've tried with the same driver64uefi rig, this computer don't have the panic problem.

is it any possible of the uefi bios? I see gagabyte released a new bios a few days ago, I will try it and report back. 

and if this happens again, how can I get this panic log in text? 

I only posted about half of the panic log. another half can not be seen clearly with my iphone's normal video recording.

use a slow montion video recording?

Edited by steve3d

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

today i equipped my new Acer with Mojave and I noticed something about NVRAM.

I only use there aptiomemoryfix and my NVRAM is working natively.

No kernel panic at reboot or shutdown. Sleep is working too.

On my MSI it isnt working, only with adding emuvariableuefi.

Maybe i can give some information why it is working on that laptop and maybe a solution can be found for other coffee lake laptops.

Hi, vit9696

Sorry for offtop, some reports about my configuration from signature in one package:

-aptiomemoryfix dont work, stop on End Randomseed++++++++

-Lilu+AppleALC dont work without rename audio device

-VirtualSMC for hardware monitoring works partially, availabled only HW sensors from Nuvoton chip and any from BMC AST2500. 

Edited by yapan4

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case it can help anyhow in possible future testing, I thought to mention that I can successfully and consistently boot OSX without any AptioFix/AptioMemoryFix/LowMemFix altogether, probably due to this large free area (you can see my full memory map, outputted via different methods, in my previous post):

Available  0000000000100000-000000005656EFFF 000000000005646F 000000000000000F

So basically I boot OSX only with EmuVar and a HandleProtocol override (the latter is needed for console output, as usually with Aptio).

Edited by Pene