EFI Firmware Update for all Intel Macs

cavemonkey50

26 posts in this topic

It's time for yet another round of Intel bug squashing. Today, Apple has released EFI firmware updates for every Intel Mac. The documentation for the updates are pretty vague. All that's known is that the EFI firmware apparently addresses issues with Boot Camp and sleep issues on notebooks. So, go download the firmware update for your Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iMac, or Mac mini, and enjoy whatever the heck Apple fixed.

It should be noted that Apple has provided a handy recovery CD should something go wrong. To me, that says there is no reason not to update. Good luck updating (and may you never need to use the disk)!

Let us know your experiences with the updates here!

works fine on my 24" iMac but hasn't fixed my boot camp display problem.

This may be off topic here, BUT... what display problem are you having with your 24"er? The first one i got (with the upgraded 7600GT like you) had a faulty video card, I got the machine swapped and have had no issues since. It would lock up or graphics corruption after 5 mins of heavy game playing in windows/bootcamp. I finally got it to fail and kernel panic in Safari in OSX. Called Apple with two easy phone calls and did what they suggested, then they arranged a courier to pick it up and a new one arrived a week later. Was painless, due to being within 10 days of purchase.

PM me if you like or point me to a thread if you've talked about it elsewhere.

Can't believe how fast the video card is compared to what I expected! :)

This may be off topic here, BUT... what display problem are you having with your 24"er? The first one i got (with the upgraded 7600GT like you) had a faulty video card, I got the machine swapped and have had no issues since. It would lock up or graphics corruption after 5 mins of heavy game playing in windows/bootcamp. I finally got it to fail and kernel panic in Safari in OSX. Called Apple with two easy phone calls and did what they suggested, then they arranged a courier to pick it up and a new one arrived a week later. Was painless, due to being within 10 days of purchase.

PM me if you like or point me to a thread if you've talked about it elsewhere.

Can't believe how fast the video card is compared to what I expected! :)

No it's this weird like 3 out of 10 iMac 24 Inchers regardless of configuration just wont work with boot camp?

When you boot from the CD the screen turns blank and you can hear the windows blue setup screen of death chugging away and loading from the CD but nothing displays. Some people get some joy from plugging into the dvi port at the back but i haven't managed to get a cable yet to try it.

I really wish Apple or someone else would come up with a fix coz I'm sure I'm not the only pissed guy with a spanking new mac but unable to play any games on this sexy screen. Kinda getting tired of Chess & UT2004.

anyway ranting aside the update said fixed boot camp problems but clearly it hasn't fix the 24" one. I think it's more a fix for the Mac Pro which also had some issues. Oh well. I'm going to have to wait until leopard then moan my arse off to Apple.

No problem here with my 24". Just one thing, i leave my ipod conected and when it power on, it stucks in one white screen just after the beep... before i start to cry i plug off my ipod and the update starts :)

Also no problem with other 20" and 17" models.

So, take off your iPods before update :)

Again, off topic, but my boot camp display issue is when i push the start installation button, the color goes all weird and then I have to reset PR-RAM(or whatever it is called. BTW, the beep is loud and if you have any external speakers you should unplug them.

EDIT: They also released an X11 update.

Everything seems fine on my macbook. Other than the usual moaning and groaning about how slow InDesign is, but other than that, don't notice a change off the top of my head.

Let us know your experiences with the updates here!
Everything went as expected on my Mac Pro, except after the update it booked to SATA 2 (Windows) rather than SATA 1 (Mac OS X). Maybe Apple knew is was "patch Tuesday" in XP land ;)

The Mac Pro update certainly fixed a lot of Vista-related issues. You can now install Vista without having to trick it (the classic "no suitable volume" message), you can also choose multiple Windows volumes to boot from the Alt key, and the wd.sys blue screen is gone.

And yet...

The GeForce 7300 still won't start, as reported by quite a few people.