WhatEverGreen Support Topic

MattsCreative
1,503 posts in this topic

I would rather ask which entries you want to check or expect.
I want to compare your IGPU and GPU properties, but if you don't want. Then nevermind

Why are you afraid about your Ioreg output??? There is no treasure at your IOREG Output.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Hi all

I am considering upgrading my GPU to an AMD RX580 (potentially the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB).

Is there anyone in this thread who using an RX580 or RX560 with a Legacy boot system, such as an X58 system?  If so, I would be very glad to hear how it works for you: does the RX580 work perfectly, with picture at boot, no special tricks, no errors?   I'd be especially interested to hear from anyone who has a multi-monitor system on an RX580/560 using Legacy boot.  Especially if you have 3+ monitors.

My current 7970 / R9 280X works with six monitors, but from boot I only get a picture on two of the six.  I have to sleep and wake to get a picture on all 6.  I am unsure if this is specific to my current GPU, but I do think it might be somehow related to Legacy boot.  So I am wondering if I will get the same problem with an RX 580.  This problem is not too terrible.  However in order to use 6 displays with an RX580 I will need to use a DisplayPort hub, and I have heard that some hubs can have a problem with sleep & wake.  So ideally I hope I won't need to sleep/wake with the RX580 in order to get a picture on all monitors.

If anyone can give me their experience of an RX GPU with Legacy boot, I would be very grateful.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by TheBloke

7 hours ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

1409286946_ScreenShot2018-11-11at00_04_56.png.6c7857834662ee754cae12d465e9254b.png

Still working good here,, IGPU = Intel HD 530 and AMD RX580 with latest Lilu.kexts and WhateverGreen.kext. But my system is Mojave 10.14.2 Public Beta

Something wrong with your screenshot....it shows Intel UHD Graphics 830

Huh ????

5 hours ago, al6042 said:

Nope... it's more about knowing what you want to look for in the ioreg.

You can find my ioreg as a ZIP file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zvz1fdlvlnkw1q/al6042-iMac.ioreg.zip?dl=0

You should use IORegistryExplorer versi 2.1 to get IOREG Output,, not new ones. New ones will make Corrupted Output

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

You should use IORegistryExplorer versi 2.1 to get IOREG Output,, not new ones. New ones will make Corrupted Output

Thanks, I didn't know about this.  2.1 seems to sort all keys alphabetically, makes it much easier to find stuff.    (Never noticed any corrupted output using latest Ioreg, version 3.02, though?)

Thanks, I didn't know about this.  2.1 seems to sort all keys alphabetically, makes it much easier to find stuff.    (Never noticed any corrupted output using latest Ioreg, version 3.02, though?)

Just open ioreg the new version, save the output and then open the output again. How can you never noticed it??? Did you ever open an output of newest ioreg???

It's completely corrupt and can't be opened with new than 2.1 version

2 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Just open ioreg the new version, save the output and then open the output again. How can you never noticed it??? Did you ever open an output of newest ioreg???

Yes, many many times.  Never noticed any corruption at all.   If it's obvious corruption, then I definitely do not have this problem. 

Left, fresh opened Ioreg (3.0.2);  right, saved & re-opened Ioreg (3.0.2):

Spoiler

oUQiowJ.png

2 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Yes, many many times.  Never noticed any corruption at all.   If it's obvious corruption, then I definitely do not have this problem. 

Left, fresh opened Ioreg (3.0.2);  right, saved & re-opened Ioreg (3.0.2):

Hide contents

oUQiowJ.png

maybe the output of IOREG is not backward compatible. Most of tutorial suggest to use IoREg version 2.1 (rehabman, toleda, etc).

Can you open IOREG Output version 2.1 to 3.0.2?? I can't test it right now.

Sorry for Out of Topic..

4 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

maybe the output of IOREG is not backward compatible. Most of tutorial suggest to use IoREg version 2.1 (rehabman, toleda, etc).

Can you open IOREG Output version 2.1 to 3.0.2?? I can't test it right now.

Sorry for Out of Topic..

Yup, I can do that too (open IOReg 2.1 file in IoReg 3.0.2).   I haven't scanned through every key, but it looks fine to me:

Spoiler

6gVuzfl.png

Maybe whatever problem you describe only affects a few keys?  Or maybe it was fixed in latest IoReg.  Don't know.  But I've been using the included IoReg in 10.13.x and 10.14.x many times (mostly for debugging GPU issues) and never noticed a problem with its output.

However as @al6042 said, the file saved by Ioreg 3 is twice as big as IoReg 2.1, so there must be some difference somewhere.   But I did not have a problem attaching Ioreg 3.0.2 output to this forum, once I had zipped it (file is 25MB but after zipping is 6MB)

Edited by TheBloke

However I can't open IoReg 3.0.2 file with IoReg 2.1 - it says "the file is corrupted".

So IoReg 3 obviously uses a different format, saving extra data maybe, and earlier versions can't open it.  But that's to be expected -  later version can open file from earlier version (3.0.2 can open 2.1),  but earlier version can't open later version, because file formats change over time.

Maybe people like RehabMan use 2.1 because it has smaller, simpler output?  I don't know.  But I can't yet see any reason not to use 3.0.2, besides the fact it creates a bigger file, and doesn't sort keys alphabetically..

EDIT:  actually, I think it is quite simple:  users recommend to use IoReg 2.1 because then everyone can open the output file, on any OS from 10.6.x to 10.14.x.  But if someone uses latest IoReg from 10.14.x, then maybe a user on 10.12 or 10.11 can't open it.

So using the oldest available version ensures compatibility of output for everyone.

Edited by TheBloke
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Yup, I can do that too (open IOReg 2.1 file in IoReg 3.0.2).   I haven't scanned through every key, but it looks fine to me.

Maybe whatever problem you describe only affects a few keys?  Or maybe it was fixed in latest IoReg.  Don't know.  But I've been using the included IoReg in 10.13.x and 10.14.x many times (mostly for debugging GPU issues) and never noticed a problem with its output.

However as @al6042 said, the file saved by Ioreg 3 is twice as big as IoReg 2.1, so there must be some difference somewhere.   But I did not have a problem attaching Ioreg 3.0.2 output to this forum, once I had zipped it (file is 25MB but after zipping is 6MB)

Toleda's thread : need IOREG versi 2.1 to check problem reporting, check this 

Rehabman asked for version 2.1 too,, as long as i know it's about "Corrupted ones". Maybe Completed Corrupted output (can't be read) or partial corrupt "missing some keys". 

Ok, thanks for the information

11 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

However I can't open IoReg 3.0.2 file with IoReg 2.1 - it says "the file is corrupted".

So IoReg 3 obviously uses a different format, saving extra data maybe, and earlier versions can't open it.  But that's to be expected -  later version can open file from earlier version (3.0.2 can open 2.1),  but earlier version can't open later version, because file formats change over time.

Maybe people like RehabMan use 2.1 because it has smaller, simpler output?  I don't know.  But I can't yet see any reason not to use 3.0.2, besides the fact it creates a bigger file, and doesn't sort keys alphabetically..

EDIT:  actually, I think it is quite simple:  users recommend to use IoReg 2.1 because then everyone can open the output file, on any OS from 10.6.x to 10.14.x.  But if someone uses latest IoReg from 10.14.x, then maybe a user on 10.12 or 10.11 can't open it.

So using the oldest available version ensures compatibility of output for everyone.

What do you mean by "But if someone uses latest IoReg from 10.14.x, then maybe a user on 10.12 or 10.11 can't open it."??? There is no limitation about macOS / OS X Version of output with IOREG. It's about ioreg version itself. 

Btw,, from al6042's output i can see the output similar like mine
1. Same use connectorless for IGPU
2. Same IOVARenderID for Radeon GPU

The different maybe about IOVARenderID for IGPU,, my intel HD 530 use 0x1080010,, and kabylake with IHD 630 use 0x1080020

And undeclared pci device name between D05A and GFX0. Maybe, the OEM DSDT don't declare device's name. I don't know if this is useful information

935507585_ScreenShot2018-11-11at20_02_40.thumb.png.fe5c13591b2916a53cae0fc9c59589bd.png 

152883024_ScreenShot2018-11-11at20_03_41.thumb.png.dc5b88775e7ca9daaf4909ca4946888b.png

image.thumb.png.e1893d7ec2e25d8f4f90cf4330dfbe5c.png

currently using High Sierra 10.13.6 with latest security patch. I'm also using built-in Nvidia (GTX770) drivers.

I'm currently using lilu.kext (version 1.2.3) + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext (1.2.6) and this is working fine. When I decided to use the latest lilu.kext (1.2.8) +WhateverGreen.kext (1.2.4), I get boot loop. Any ideas on how to debug/fix this? Currently the only fix that I know that works is to revert to using the older version of lilu.kext and using NvidiaGraphicsFixup.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

What do you mean by "But if someone uses latest IoReg from 10.14.x, then maybe a user on 10.12 or 10.11 can't open it."??? There is no limitation about macOS / OS X Version of output with IOREG. It's about ioreg version itself. 

I mean that if a user creates an IOReg using bundled IOReg from 10.14.x, then a user using bundled IOReg from 10.11.x or 10.12.x maybe can't open it (it will show corrupted).

Whereas if a user creates an IOReg using 2.1, then everyone can open it, using 2.1, or bundled IOReg from 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14, etc.

Therefore asking user to use IOReg 2.1 ensures that everyone can open it with every version of IOReg.   It's just a guess as to why 2.1 would be asked for - to ensure everyone can open it with whatever IOReg they already have.

currently using High Sierra 10.13.6 with latest security patch. I'm also using built-in Nvidia (GTX770) drivers.

I'm currently using lilu.kext (version 1.2.3) + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext (1.2.6) and this is working fine. When I decided to use the latest lilu.kext (1.2.8) +WhateverGreen.kext (1.2.4), I get boot loop. Any ideas on how to debug/fix this? Currently the only fix that I know that works is to revert to using the older version of lilu.kext and using NvidiaGraphicsFixup.

Thanks
Boot in verbose, and what log before bootloop?