WhatEverGreen Support Topic

MattsCreative
1,503 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, alex.daoud said:

Hey all, I need some help getting QE/CI working on a recent upgrade to Mojave.

The system is a Dell Venue 11 Pro which is a bit of strange machine. It is a tablet machine Haswell i3 with integrated HD4300. I got it working on Yosemite a few years ago using the old FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4400_HD4600.kext .in the following thread:  

The bizarre thing about this machine is that the only way I was able to get QE/CI working was to fake an ID of 0x0A16 and a (desktop!) platform-id of 0x0D220003. I have attempted to do a similar thing with WhateverGreen but it doesn't work. I have tried injecting many different platform-id's and fake IDs to no avail. The Azure kexts simply do not load. Would anyone have any ideas on what to do here?

I have attached a debug archive for the current install on this system. I have also attached an IOReg from the older Yosemite install showing that it had QE/CI. Unfortunately this IOReg is all I have in terms of debug information from the old install.

Thanks in advance!

debug_10132.zip

Venue Yosemite install.ioreg

maybe this help you

Hi, anyone uses LG Ultrafine 5K Monitor with WEG? I am using GC-Alpine TH3 addin card for TH3 connected to my monitor. But when I use the Whatevergreen and Lilu (The latest versions) Display will be separated by two monitors. a Virtual 5K and another 2560x2880 (strange resolution) - I have to use another monitor as primary boot. If I use LG Ultrafine 5K as a primary monitor to boot, it shows me all black!! I am using a 4k monitor + LG 5k monitor.

LG Ultrafine 5K using TH3 connection by two dp1.2 ports to the Th3 is blackscreen on the boot with WEG + lilu. But it is working w/o WEG natively. Only the reason I want to use WEG is for iGPU. I want to use iGPU so I have to use WEG.

Is there anyway I can fix those two issues with WEG?

Hi all

I have an Asus Matrix Radeon 7970 (Ghz edition) with six outputs:  two DVI, four DP.  I am running 10.14 on X58 with X5670 (Westmere) CPU, using Clover r4700 legacy boot.  MacPro 5.1 profile. No internal GPU.  I have five monitors connected: two by DVI, three by DP.

Ever since I bought this card I have had an ongoing problem:  at boot, only two monitors get a picture.  All monitors have signal, all monitors appear in Display Preferences, but only two get a picture.  In order to get a picture on all monitors, I must sleep & wake.    This has applied in both 10.13.x and 10.14.x.  (I used a NVidia card with <= 10.12.)

Also since upgrading to 10.14, before I sleep & wake I see errors in Console related to AMD graphics, and kernel_task uses 100+% CPU.  For example I see many times the error "CRITICAL ERROR : VBLANK interrupt has not been generated in time!" (I can find no info on this on Google.)   The errors and high kernel_task CPU goes away after first sleep & wake, at the same time as the picture comes to the other monitors, so it must be connected.

I have tried everything I know about to fix this:  every WEG option,  every Clover GFX config (InjectATI/Radeon DeInit, setting custom FB,  etc), FB patching, and many combinations of those things.  But I have found nothing that can fix this problem.

Right now I am booted with WEG 1.2.4, using options -raddvi and -rad24.  I added -rad24 because once my displays showed as 30-bit which is incorrect.  I also added -raddvi because it is listed as applying to my card, but I have not noticed it make any difference.  Booting with WEG  gives identical user experience to booting without WEG; the only noticeable difference is that with WEG, About This Mac reports my GPU as "AMD Radeon HD 7970", where without WEG it is "AMD Radeon HD 7xxx".   I've tried all other listed WEG options as well, such as radpg=15 and agdpmod=[cfgmap|vit9696|pixera], but none resolve my problem.

I have tried multiple SMBIOS: MP 5.1 & 6.1, iMac 14.2, Mac Mini 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1.  I can get all of them to boot but all have the same display problem, requiring a sleep & wake.

I have read everything I can find to try and fix this, but can't find any solution that works.  The only thing I haven't yet tried is a custom SSDT, because I couldn't find any evidence that an SSDT would fix this problem.  The SSDT sample on the WEG Github page shows examples for fixing connectors, connector count, etc, but it seems that connector auto-detection is working fine for me, because all monitors are always detected in Display preferences.  I just have this problem where I need to sleep & wake to get a picture on more than two of them, and I don't know if any SSDT entry can change that?

The only time I did get a picture on all displays without sleep is when I added an NVidia GPU and set it as primary GPU in the BIOS. Edit: this no longer works in 10.14 - with an NV GPU added and set to primary, I get a picture only on the NV; all outputs on the AMD have no picture (but are detected), and this doesn't change with sleep & wake.

If anyone knows of any possible solutions to this problem, I would be really grateful.  I have spent literally tens of hours trying to fix it.   I lived with it for 6 months in HS 10.13, but now in 10.14 I am worried it might be causing other problems (I have had a few random reboots), and would like to get it fixed if there is any way.   I am wondering if maybe it is related to my combination of legacy boot + no iGPU + maybe my unusual 6-connector card.  I know WEG is mostly intended for UEFI boots.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Attached:

1. IOReg without WEG: TheBloke.noWEG.7970-on-X58-legacy.ioreg.zip
  2. IOReg with WEG 1.2.4: TheBloke.WEG-1.2.4.7970Ghz-on-X58-legacy.ioreg.zip . Some things change (eg GPU0), but there is no obvious change to user experience.

Screenshots of About This Mac -> Graphics/Displays:

All displays are detected on boot and show a signal, but only "PHL BDM4065" (port DP2) and "SAMSUNG" (port DP3 -> active DP-HDMI adapter) show a picture until I sleep & wake:

Without WEG:

Spoiler

zuwXI2e.png

With WEG 1.2.4:

Now GPU is "AMD Radeon HD 7970" instead of "HD 7xxx".  Everything else is the same.

Spoiler

fFMnmDc.png

Edited by TheBloke
URL for GPU

A couple of updates to my post regarding only getting a picture on two monitors with an Asus AMD 7970 on X58 with legacy boot:

Firstly, I tried to add a secondary GPU, an NVidia 710, and set it as primary in the BIOS.  In 10.13.x this helped.  In 10.14.x, it does not - I only get a picture on the NV, not any picture on the AMD GPU.  And sleep & wake does not add a picture to the AMD connectors.  So this is a dead-end.

Secondly, here are some of the errors I see in Console before I sleep & wake (these errors are new in 10.14.x I believe):

CRITICAL ERROR : VBLANK interrupt has not been generated in time!

kernel AMDRadeonAccelerator: IOAccelDisplayPipeTransaction time out after 100ms. framebuffer index = 2
kernel framebufferIndex = 2, wsaa = 17
kernel eventInterruptEnabled = 0, transactionInterruptEnabled = 1, vblInterruptEnabled = 0
kernel powerOff = 0, pipeTerminated = 0, acceleratorEnabled = 1, fWSAA = 17
kernel lastIOGraphicsMessageEvent = 93, fbIndex = 2
kernel transactionQueueReadCount = 619, transactionQueueWriteCount = 620
kernel lastCompletedTransaction: ID = 618 dirtyBits = 0x1 options = 0x1
kernel pendingTransaction ID = 619, isTransactionComplete () = 0, dirtyBits = 0x1, options = 0x1, errorCode = 0x0, submittedReturn = 0xe0014042
kernel readTransaction ID = 620, dirtyBits = 0x1, options = 0x1, errorCode = 0x0, submittedReturn = 0xe0014042, event is finished

I Googled on the "AMDRadeonAccelerator: IOAccelDisplayPipeTransaction" error and finally found someone else with the same problem:  someone on a German Hackintosh site, using an RX560.   They solved their problem by changing a Bios setting related to EFI vs Legacy BIOS.   Because I'm on a non-EFI BIOS, I have no such option, and this seems to suggest that the problem is definitely related to booting with a Legacy BIOS.

Maybe there is simply no solution for this problem on a legacy BIOS system.  But if anyone has any ideas - maybe there's something that can be done with SSDT, or WEG, or Clover options.. anything -  I'd be very grateful for any suggestions at all.

8 hours ago, TheBloke said:

A couple of updates to my post regarding only getting a picture on two monitors with an Asus AMD 7970 on X58 with legacy boot:

Firstly, I tried to add a secondary GPU, an NVidia 710, and set it as primary in the BIOS.  In 10.13.x this helped.  In 10.14.x, it does not - I only get a picture on the NV, not any picture on the AMD GPU.  And sleep & wake does not add a picture to the AMD connectors.  So this is a dead-end.

Secondly, here are some of the errors I see in Console before I sleep & wake (these errors are new in 10.14.x I believe):

CRITICAL ERROR : VBLANK interrupt has not been generated in time!

kernel AMDRadeonAccelerator: IOAccelDisplayPipeTransaction time out after 100ms. framebuffer index = 2
kernel framebufferIndex = 2, wsaa = 17
kernel eventInterruptEnabled = 0, transactionInterruptEnabled = 1, vblInterruptEnabled = 0
kernel powerOff = 0, pipeTerminated = 0, acceleratorEnabled = 1, fWSAA = 17
kernel lastIOGraphicsMessageEvent = 93, fbIndex = 2
kernel transactionQueueReadCount = 619, transactionQueueWriteCount = 620
kernel lastCompletedTransaction: ID = 618 dirtyBits = 0x1 options = 0x1
kernel pendingTransaction ID = 619, isTransactionComplete () = 0, dirtyBits = 0x1, options = 0x1, errorCode = 0x0, submittedReturn = 0xe0014042
kernel readTransaction ID = 620, dirtyBits = 0x1, options = 0x1, errorCode = 0x0, submittedReturn = 0xe0014042, event is finished

I Googled on the "AMDRadeonAccelerator: IOAccelDisplayPipeTransaction" error and finally found someone else with the same problem:  someone on a German Hackintosh site, using an RX560.   They solved their problem by changing a Bios setting related to EFI vs Legacy BIOS.   Because I'm on a non-EFI BIOS, I have no such option, and this seems to suggest that the problem is definitely related to booting with a Legacy BIOS.

Maybe there is simply no solution for this problem on a legacy BIOS system.  But if anyone has any ideas - maybe there's something that can be done with SSDT, or WEG, or Clover options.. anything -  I'd be very grateful for any suggestions at all.

In my P6TSE (X58) hackintosh AMD R9 290X GPU can be booted by Legacy BIOS and using Lilu (1.2.1), AppleALC (1.2.1) & WhateverGreen (<=1.1.4) only. The other versions may not get HDMI & HDMI audio working at 10.13.x & 10.14.x with AppleHDA (281.51).

1 hour ago, jsl2000 said:

In my P6TSE (X58) hackintosh AMD R9 290X GPU can be booted by Legacy BIOS and using Lilu (1.2.1), AppleALC (1.2.1) & WhateverGreen (<=1.1.4) only. The other versions may not get HDMI & HDMI audio working at 10.13.x & 10.14.x with AppleHDA (281.51).

Thanks for the details.  I believe my 7970 Ghz is identical to the 280X, so one version older than your 290X.

I do have working HDMI/DP audio (I don't even need WEG for this, only AppleALC).  And I do get a signal on all connectors/monitors (2 x DVI + 4 x DP).  But I only get a picture on two of the connectors, the others will be black until I sleep and wake.  And I see those errors I quoted in Console until I sleep & wake, which both gives me a picture on all screens, and stops the errors in Console.

You say WEG <= 1.1.4?   So something changed from WEG 1.1.5 onwards?  I have downloaded 1.1.4 and will give it a try soon, when I am able to reboot.  Thanks.

UPDATE: OK I tried WEG 1.1.4 with Lilu 1.2.1, and it made no difference.  I get signal on all monitors from boot, but a picture on only two (ports DP2 and DP3) - the others are black, and I see errors in Console about VBLANK and "AMDRadeonAccelerator: IOAccelDisplayPipeTransaction time out".  I have to sleep & wake to get a picture on all monitors, and to get rid of those errors.

You have a 290X and I have 280X, so I guess there's a difference.  Thanks anyway for the info.

Right now I am not experiencing any other obvious problems except for the need to sleep and wake after every boot, so it may be I just need to live with this problem.  It's certainly not the end of the world, just a shame not to have everything perfect.

Edited by TheBloke

10 hours ago, jsl2000 said:

By the way @jsl2000, you say you can't use WEG later than 1.1.4?  Looking at changelog, one change made by 1.1.5 is "Added automatic CFG_USE_AGDC disabling..". 

If this is causing a problem for you, you can disable this change (re-enable AGDC) with the boot argument: agdpmod=ignore

So you might want to try a latest WEG, with this boot flag added.  If it works, you wouldn't need to keep using an old WEG.  I am not an expert on these things but I know AGDC can impact on a few things, so if you are unable to use WEG since 1.1.5 I would test latest WEG with agdpmod=ignore to see if this enables using later WEG for you.

1 hour ago, TheBloke said:

By the way @jsl2000, you say you can't use WEG later than 1.1.4?  Looking at changelog, one change made by 1.1.5 is "Added automatic CFG_USE_AGDC disabling..". 

If this is causing a problem for you, you can disable this change (re-enable AGDC) with the boot argument: agdpmod=ignore

So you might want to try a latest WEG, with this boot flag added.  If it works, you wouldn't need to keep using an old WEG.  I am not an expert on these things but I know AGDC can impact on a few things, so if you are unable to use WEG since 1.1.5 I would test latest WEG with agdpmod=ignore to see if this enables using later WEG for you.

Thanks for this advice which worked for WEG 1.2.x now without broken HDMI audio of R9 290X GPU anymore !

BTW have you tried edit CFG_FB_LiMIT data in aty-config of AMD7000Controller.kext ? It should be the number of total display ports ( in yours 6) instead of default 0.

Edited by jsl2000

Shiki now part of WEG. How to work DRM media on iTunes? When I try it getting a black screen with 0 sec. No problem on downloading media. I can watch every media if I download. But online watch I always get a black screen with 0 sec. is it possible the fix this issue?

7 minutes ago, MarkMac said:

Shiki now part of WEG. How to work DRM media on iTunes? When I try it getting a black screen with 0 sec. No problem on downloading media. I can watch every media if I download. But online watch I always get a black screen with 0 sec. is it possible the fix this issue?

Use the last versions Lilu and WEG.

1 minute ago, MarkMac said:

i do use them both. i use smbios 18,3 and a rx580 with the igpu enabled. but is does not seem to work. 

Add your system specs to your profile signature so we know what kind of system you are dealing with.

5 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

CPU ? OS bild? 

i will change my signature right away, but here are my specs.

Asus H370M-Plus

Intel i7 8700k

16GB DDR 2400

Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB

OSX Mojave 10.14.1

I Got everything working including h264 export, USB3, Displayports and hdmi. With Mojave i use a DSDT for my USB, no other patches. I Use the latest whatevergreen and lilu and applealc for audio.

4 minutes ago, Andrey1970 said:

config.plist ?

Here you go. It is almost empty. When my system was on High Sierra, i had allot of things patched (primary for the GPU and iGPU), but now enabling iGPU and the use of lilu and whatevergreen, a dsdt for USB3 seemed enough. Is there something i can change for DRM ?. It seems like a big issue for allot of people. I deleted the serials in the .plist

config.plist

Edited by MarkMac

5 minutes ago, MarkMac said:

Here you go. It is almost empty. When my system was on High Sierra, i had allot of things patched (primary for the GPU and iGPU), but now enabling iGPU and the use of lilu and whatevergreen, a dsdt for USB3 seemed enough. Is there something i can change for DRM ?. It seems like a big issue for allot of people. I deleted the serials in the .plist

config.plist

ioreg?

26 minutes ago, MarkMac said:

i will change my signature right away, but here are my specs.

Asus H370M-Plus

Intel i7 8700k

16GB DDR 2400

Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB

OSX Mojave 10.14.1

I Got everything working including h264 export, USB3, Displayports and hdmi. With Mojave i use a DSDT for my USB, no other patches. I Use the latest whatevergreen and lilu and applealc for audio.

If you are only patching your DSDT for USB issues, you probably only need to use a SSDT instead. 

2 minutes ago, Pavo said:

If you are only patching your DSDT for USB issues, you probably only need to use a SSDT instead. 

that is what i ment. i made a ssdt for usbinjectall :) sorry

1 minute ago, Andrey1970 said:

Here everything is good.

I will ask once again: You use latest WEG and Lilu? Recently there were important changes in these kexts for 10.14.1

i use whatevergreen 1.2.4 and lilu 1.2.8

Edited by MarkMac