WhatEverGreen Support Topic

MattsCreative
1,503 posts in this topic

Just now, Andrey1970 said:

At you everything is good.

thanks for all your help. drm streaming seems to be a problem these days. maybe in the future we will have a fix. i will use the apple tv only for drm streaming. thank

you for all your time!

Even if Shiki is now gone into WhateverGreen, the boot-args are still available.

If you use clover configurator, try to add "shikigva=1" to the custom flag section in your config.plist.

If you use an text editor, just add this to the line underneath the section

<key>Arguments</key>

Edited by al6042

1 hour ago, al6042 said:

Even if Shiki is now gone into WhateverGreen, the boot-args are still available.

If you use clover configurator, try to add "shikigva=1" to the custom flag section in your config.plist.

If you use an text editor, just add this to the line underneath the section

<key>Arguments</key>

If you do not know when this boot-args is necessary, it is not necessary to give advice.

hm...

interesting...

In the original FAQ for Shiki, which has an broader explanation and examples on how to use shikigva, it was mentioned to use shikigva=1 with AMD Cards + the IGPU in connectorless mode, but what do I know... ;)

12 minutes ago, al6042 said:

hm...

interesting...

In the original FAQ for Shiki, which has an broader explanation and examples on how to use shikigva, it was mentioned to use shikigva=1 with AMD Cards + the IGPU in connectorless mode, but what do I know... ;)

You badly studied FAQ.

5 minutes ago, al6042 said:

I know how to use the google translator, let's see if it can translate the words in a useful context.

Or even try to ask my old mate @crusher to help you.

The right choice of Mac-model is important. Then the crutch shikigva=1 is not required.

Read it and it.

If it still is not clear, that I will try to explain.

Thank you for the links.

Link number one explains the usage of QuickSync which works, but it doesn't solve the DRM issue.

Link number two states also the obious, that's why my Skylake box is running as an iMac17,1 only using the HD530 Graphics and my Kabylake box uses iMac18,3 with the Vega56 as primary and the HD630 as a connectorless device in the background.

The VDADecoderChecker shows "Hardware acceleration is fully supported" on both machines.

Both links help with the QuickSync issue and the running of free iTunes-Trailers, plus a couple of other neat specialties.

But it doesn't really solve the DRM issue, which I thought could be mitigated with the shikigva entry.

7 minutes ago, al6042 said:

Thank you for the links.

Link number one explains the usage of QuickSync which works, but it doesn't solve the DRM issue.

Link number two states also the obious, that's why my Skylake box is running as an iMac17,1 only using the HD530 Graphics and my Kabylake box uses iMac18,3 with the Vega56 as primary and the HD630 as a connectorless device in the background.

The VDADecoderChecker shows "Hardware acceleration is fully supported" on both machines.

Both links help with the QuickSync issue and the running of free iTunes-Trailers, plus a couple of other neat specialties.

But it doesn't really solve the DRM issue, which I thought could be mitigated with the shikigva entry.

shikigva=1 is related in IQSV, instead of to DRM. But without IQSV in many cases DRM will not work.

I as wanted to tell that shikigva=1 not the best decision, it is better to use suitable Mac-model.

Just checked it to make sure:

Skylake with HD530 doesn't need it.

Kabylake with Vega56 and connectorless HD630 need it definitely to get the graphics working fluently on two 4k-displays.

The test file (1.m4v) plays the sound, but not the video in Quicktime Player.

Just wanna say that IGPU isn’t needed to play DRM videos, my Xeon system with Vega 64 only, which doesn’t have iGPU plays iTunes DRM videos just fine. I only use Lilu+WEG without any bootargs and using MP6,1 SMBIOS since my CPUs are IvyBridge v2. SMBIOS should and has always been chosen because of CPU/chipset type. 

Edited by Pavo

@Pavo

That's great.

I choose my SMBIOS settings also in regards to the hardware and the iMac18,3 fits great with the Kabylake and the AMD graphics.

If I would deactivate the IGPU to come nearer to your setup, I will lose the Quicksync function, wouldn't I?

@Andrey1970 

Why's that? 

It works as charm and get's me the correct results:

VDADecCheck-SKL.png.9bea40a0d4489b481905e8b7e6befa7d.png

11 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Just wanna say that IGPU isn’t needed to play DRM videos, my Xeon system with Vega 64 only, which doesn’t have iGPU plays iTunes DRM videos just fine. I only use Lilu+WEG without any bootargs and using MP6,1 SMBIOS since my CPUs are IvyBridge v2. SMBIOS should and has always been chosen because of CPU/chipset type. 

On processors without IGPU, with DRM generally there are no problems.