Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

I have now opened a bug report with Apple as well, didn't hide that I am using the Vega 64 inside a Hackintosh but pointed out that eGPU and Mac Pro users face the same issue. I recommend everyone doing the same since only that way there is a chance they get their drivers right.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 11:57 PM, CMMChris said:

Most Vega cards use Min and Max Fan Speed to control their fan. MacOS on the other hand uses the Throttling RPM value as the Max Fan speed and Accoustic Limit for the Min Fan for some reason.

It seems there are two versions of the Fan_Table, in V1 what is now the acoustic limit was a RPM value, the description says it's the default RPM value. In V2 it became acoustic limit, the highest allowable RPM. FanMin and FanMax RPM didn't exist in V1, but exist in V2. This might explain the behavior, if Apple is not interpreting the table correctly. I've updated my Apple bug with this.

Graphics clock table also has two versions, the Powertune table even has three versions: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/powerplay/hwmgr/vega10_pptable.h

However, I'm checking table versions and PPT versions of some of the problem and fixed bios and I'm only finding PPT version: ucTableFormatRevision 8, ucTableContentRevision 1, ucTableRevision 0. And all PPT have Fan_table revision 0B (11). I've looked at versions 016.001.001.000.000000(Vega64), 016.001.001.000.008733 (64LC my own), 016.001.001.000.008737(Vega64), 016.001.001.000.008774(64LC) and 016.001.001.000.009360(Vega56) from Techpowerup.

I'll try to put together a more detailed comparisson, including Gfxclk_Table and PowerTune_Table.

• Like 1

Another update for my table. Changes:
- Optimized Layout
- Added SoC clock configuration
- Added some more markup of the PPT including fields for optional manual editing
- Added a short guide for using the generated data and a warning for the noobs ( ;) )
- Preset settings optimized for cards that suffer from coil whine, reduces coil whine to near zero for me while retaining great performance and low heat

vega64-mac-pp_table-gen-V1.5.xlsx

• Like 3

Edit: Doesn't work reliable unfortunately.

To everyone who has the issue with the fans spinning up for a while after load: I've got a fix for that. The secret ingredient is to load the VBios of the MSI Vega 64 through Clover. Simply put the ROM file into "EFI/Clover/ROM/" and in Clover Configurator select "Load vBIOS" under "Graphics". Now reboot and test. Fans will spin down immediately after load. Please note you still have to use a custom PowerPlayTable for it to work.

1002_687f.rom

Edited by CMMChris
  • Like 1

very cool.  so if I'm still using your original VegaTab_64.kext, just add 1002_687f.rom to ROM folder?  My fan spins down in the middle of loading the OS so not sure it's necessary but I'll give it a shot.  thanks!

still haven't had time to play with the powertable using your xls.  maybe next weekend.

btw, you have a newer version of VegaTab_64.kext?  I'm currently using ver 0.1

20 hours ago, CMMChris said:

To everyone who has the issue with the fans spinning up for a while after load: I've got a fix for that. The secret ingredient is to load the VBios of the MSI Vega 64 through Clover. Simply put the ROM file into "EFI/Clover/ROM/" and in Clover Configurator select "Load vBIOS" under "Graphics". Now reboot and test. Fans will spin down immediately after load. Please note you still have to use a custom PowerPlayTable for it to work.

1002_687f.rom

How did you get that MSI file?

Size is different from normal bios file.

I try to figure out if I need a special vbios different from yours, because I have a Vega56.

Thanks, Mike

Someone from the German Hackintosh-Forum extracted it from his MSI card. This specific card according to him works very well with macOS with working fan control and it even loads the iMac Pros framebuffer and fixes some popular bugs such as non working ports and dual 4k monitors without patches.

15 minutes ago, CMMChris said:

Someone from the German Hackintosh-Forum extracted it from his MSI card. This specific card according to him works very well with macOS with working fan control and it even loads the iMac Pros framebuffer and fixes some popular bugs such as non working ports and dual 4k monitors without patches.

Thanks.... would be great if we could extract the vbios from the regular bios file to compare.

How do I know if the vbios file I properly loaded?

Do you still use the Whatevergreen kext? 

Thanks, Mike

Actually the vBIOS thing doesn't work reliable :(

But I figured out one more thing: Add PP_DisableFanControl=1 to your Kext or inject via Clover and see what it does for you :)

Edited by CMMChris

I'm following this thread a while and my outcome is that my Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro runs best without a PowerPlayTable (Mojave). There is one issue which remains with the card. After heavy GPU use it doesn't spin the fans to idle (0 RPM)anymore. It stays around 1500 RPM. Without GPU load it runs perfectly (some coil whine indeed). If the GPU runs after heavy GPU usage at 1500RPM I simply "sleep and wake" my system resulting  the fans become idle again. As soon as I tune the settings within the PowerPlayTable after 15-20min GPU intense gaming (Company of Heroes in 4K) the screen becomes black and the GPU blows fans like hell (at 100% I think). I have to turn of the system and turn it on again. 

Is there an easy way to find out what causes the GPU to crash?

I tried lowering frequencies and increasing voltages. Never with positive results.  

According to the MSI bios thing. I don't know if it's worth mentioning it. I tried a reflash of my secondary bios with this MSI bios in the past and I thought it was quite stable too. Also it has CSM better implemented if I understood correctly. That bios supports native resolutions in Clover instead of the silly 1280x720 reso. 

If your card turns off and fans go full blast this doesn't mean it crashed. It means that you hit the maximum temperature on some component and it turned off to prevent damage. Not good! Try without PowerPlayTable and only "PP_DisableFanControl". This will use the stock card settings and prevent macOS from messing with the fans. So the card will control itself. On my card this works fine. No Zero RPM tho. If you want to keep using a PPT you need to tweak your settings in order to prevent overheat. How did you generate your current PPT?

Edited by CMMChris

25 minutes ago, CMMChris said:

If your card turns off and fans go full blast this doesn't mean it crashed. It means that you hit the maximum temperature on some component and it turned off to prevent damage. Not good! Try without PowerPlayTable and only "PP_DisableFanControl". This will use the stock card settings and prevent macOS from messing with the fans. So the card will control itself. On my card this works fine. No Zero RPM tho. If you want to keep using a PPT you need to tweak your settings in order to prevent overheat. How did you generate your current PPT?

Thanks for helping me man.

At the moment I don't have any kext, any mod on AMD10000.kext and no PPT in clover. Under this condition the cards remains stable but doesn't turn to Zero RPM after heavy usage. Sleep wake enables 0RPM again.

Can I add a device properties entry in clover call the property key "PP_DisableFanControl and put "1" in the DATA field to enable just PP_DisableFanControl?

Edited by Pluskat5000Schiffe

1 hour ago, CMMChris said:

I don't know, every card behaves different. Put load on it and see what happens.

The behaviour is exactly the same as without the setting. Without GPU load system usage fans stay 0RPM. GPU usage starts spins up 3D apps are stable. After 3D usage fans fall off to 1500RPM. Sleep / Wake restores 0 RPM again.

4 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@Pluskat5000Schiffe Make sure your PCI path is correct. You can generate it with GFX Util.

Sure I can check it later but the other power table settings I used, which causes the gpu to overload with temps, are added the same way on the same pci address. So I guess it must

be correct. I will verify later.