Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

Fans spinning down after load is what should happen when using a PPT. However, most cards start to spin up to full speed after the card is under load before the start to spin down. This phenomenon disappears with DisableFanControl = 3. I am using DisableFanControll = 1 tho. My card is almost silent at the base 1200 RPM and it keeps the temps low.

Regarding the power limit I don't know why your clocks behave abnormal under load when you apply a higher limit. I run my card with 300W power limit and have no issues with that.

Hi. I noticed that if I add kext or PPT 4k resolution will not work in 60hz. Fans will stay low but screen will only display in 30hz or lower. Do you have that problem too ?

Didn't try with DisableFanControl, can someone help with what to put where, address devices ... Thanks

Edited by guliwwer

On 11/12/2018 at 4:57 PM, Pavo said:

DisableFanControl is a Boolean value

Where is it defined as such? I can't find it and all PP_Values are integers in the 7/8/9/95/10 kexts?

I've looked at the linux driver but I've yet to find the reference to it.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:59 PM, hugeschnauzer said:

I've tried both methods..

crashes again in FCPX... :-(

In Unigine tests i see rpm changes 

The console error i get is:

(com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

Oh interesting I have this error also! But only if I'm running Dual Monitors. If I run one monitor, FCPX doesn't crash! 

On 11/14/2018 at 10:53 PM, guliwwer said:

Hi. I noticed that if I add kext or PPT 4k resolution will not work in 60hz. Fans will stay low but screen will only display in 30hz or lower. Do you have that problem too ?

Didn't try with DisableFanControl, can someone help with what to put where, address devices ... Thanks

HDMI or DP? I have DP no 30Hz just 60Hz (Dell P2715Q) 30Hz is horrible. 

15 hours ago, CMMChris said:

You mean video acceleration? That's a known issue.

Yes , about video acceleration I say ... Thank you ... No patch for this issue ? ...In 14.2 beta 3 video acceleration has returned by wonder...

edit:

I read about apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. FCPX is one of this apps. Recently was update to 10.4.4 version . And havent support for metal or metal2 .

Edited by corint1

hi.  about to run some tests to try and get rid of the remaining coil whine (I assume it's coil whine) on my ASRock Phantom 64 and have a quick question.

After I make my adjustments in vega64-mac-pp_table-gen-V1.5.xlsx and convert the Hex to Base64, is this the only field I need to update in the info.plist for VegaTab_64.kext using Xcode?

Information Property List\IOKitPersonalities\Controller\aty_properties\PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable (type Data)

thanks!

On 11/12/2018 at 5:09 PM, Pluskat5000Schiffe said:

I have a possible breaktrough... and you won't believe it... See this:

1613510335_Screenshot2018-11-12at15_54_24.png.575c7934ecb76f4095c08464356e153c.png

Thats wrong ... lol but it behaves much better than setting with 0 or 1 

With 0 I have toggling fan due 1630Mhz clock which stays there heats up the card and start the fans cools it down and turns the fans down all in 10 sec so very annoying.

With 1 I have 1200RPM steady in IDLE not working for me. 

With 3 yes three is works as it should. See attached PPT excel I used and Performance Statistics made during a Valley benchmark run (ended with 74fps).

Can you confirm 3 is a valid option or did I just opened pandora's box ;-). Does it make sense to tune the PowerPlayTable?

Thanks!

temps.txt

vega64-mac-pp_table-gen-V1.5.xlsx

hi, i have sapphire vega 56 nitro, on windows fan start cooling after 50-55°

power play table for my vega 56 get from here

this method not working, the fan don’t spin down after 50° on Luxmark Benchmark(they turn on and keep cooling).

some body know how to fix it?

powerplay.png

Properties.plist

Edited by mjslap

If your card is too loud with disablefancontrol you need to use a macOS compatible PowerPlayTable. The Windows PowerPlayTable that you used is not compatible because macOS uses different parameters for fan control than Windows. You can try generating a PowerPlayTable with my Excel sheet. I guess it should work for V56 as well. Make sure to adjust clocks and voltage accordingly.

32 minutes ago, CMMChris said:

If your card is too loud with disablefancontrol you need to use a macOS compatible PowerPlayTable. The Windows PowerPlayTable that you used is not compatible because macOS uses different parameters for fan control than Windows. You can try generating a PowerPlayTable with my Excel sheet. I guess it should work for V56 as well. Make sure to adjust clocks and voltage accordingly.

thanx for information,

i have some question.

i use second bios on my card, with 165W power limit, P-States i put from WattTool(Windows) - is it correct?

i don't understand where i can fin other parameters? I would like the fans to stop after cooling below 50°.

apple is driving me crazy...

Annotation 2018-12-03 140232.jpg

• Accoustic Limit RPM is lowest Fan Speed on macOS (100 = off)
  • Throttling RPM is maximum Fan Speed on macOS
  • Fan Stop Temperature is useless on macOS
  • Fan Start Temperature sets the temperature the fan starts spinning up
  • Target Temp controls the fan curve (setting this higher makes the fan spin up slower, setting it lower makes it spin up faster)
  • Max Temp is the value that controls thermal throttling

You need to remove DisableFanControl in order for the PowerPlayTable fan control to work.

If controlling your card with a proper PowerPlayTable does not work either, your card isn't entirely compatible with macOS (despite what Apple claims). This actually is very likely since the same is the case with the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro card.

In that case the only thing left to try is removing the PowerPlayTable and / or DisableFanControl value and set those parameters:
PP_ZeroRPMStartTemperature
PP_ZeroRPMStopTemperature

Good luck!

Im using a ASUS Vega 64 ROG Strix on 10.13.6 (with latest security update) I still have issue that once fans start going they don't stop.

I think ive tried everything in this thread. (probably a few times each) 

Ive tried Injecting the powerplay table in to Clover and in to RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.Kext

I can modify clock etc. so the tables are working ok. Although i dont think any of the Fan control stuff is making any differnce.. like MAX RPM etc.  just no matter what i set once the fan goes it just wont stop... its like a jet taking off.

one other anomaly... somewhere along the way the terminal command to show fan speed, core clock etc. has stopped showing me fan speed info. maybe its related?

any other ideas or stuff to check? or anyone with this card would like to share their clover?

Thanks!!

Edited by Philterino

Finally I solved the problem with fan start-stop on Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse,

thanx CMMChris for exel file with comments!

system start-stop working not like on the windows, but it is much better than without settings.

after the load, the fans run for several minutes, and slowly stopping,

playing with Fan Sensitivity did not give the result, best value is 0000

without load hwmonitor show Fan/Pump speed about 100-139rpm, but actually fan does not work.

P-states i set by default, and second bios on video card (165W)

luxmark.png

config-Properties-vega56.plist.plist

Edited by mjslap

1 hour ago, CMMChris said:

If macOS stops showing fan speed, clock and temp information it means your card has entered fail safe mode. This happens if you inject an invalid PowerPlayTable. Means you are doing something wrong.

Im Getting Clock and temp ok... just not Fan Speed (RPM) or (%)

Finally have some success with my ASUS ROG STRIX OC. admittedly im not 100% sure what i did to get it working... its also not perfect yet. But im getting good luxmark speeds and no jet engine fans.

I think turning off EnableZeroRPM and setting Accoustic Limit (RPM) to 150 maybe be something.

Im idling at around 1000rpm... which is pretty quiet really and liveable with for sure. I might look in to it further if it starts to annoy me.

Thanks for all the help you guys have put in to this.... especially @CMMChris

RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext.zip

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 13.13.46.png

vega64-mac-pp_table-gen-V1.5 ASUS ROG Strix .numbers

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 13.20.15.png

Edited by Philterino