[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

@arsradu

Have you tested the DP2 U1 on APFS formatted HDDs? I think it's been improved, It's a lot faster that the previous versions. Not fast as SSDs of course :angel:  but it's faster than before.

@arsradu

Have you tested the DP2 U1 on APFS formatted HDDs? I think it's been improved, It's a lot faster that the previous versions. Not fast as SSDs of course :angel:  but it's faster than before.

I actually have not tried that since DP1... I think I'll give it a try with PB1. Thanks for the tip. :)

I actually have not tried that since DP1... I think I'll give it a try with PB1. Thanks for the tip. :)

You're welcome :)

Waiting for the PB1 sounds like a good idea but I couldn't resist I had to know so I tested it and I feel like it's been improved a bit :D

I'm not sure, the latest version that I downloaded was DP2 Update 1, I'm not sure if it counts as the public beta. :rofl:

I think it does. I'm talking about build 17A291m. I got an email from Apple when they released public betas for all their OSes. So...yeah. I'm pretty sure this is the first public beta.

• Like 2

I think it does. I'm talking about build 17A291m. I got an email from Apple when they released public betas for all their OSes. So...yeah. I'm pretty sure this is the first public beta.

That's exactly the version I downloaded. So it is the first public beta!!

@arsradu

Do you know if there is an updated APFS.efi for DP2 U1/PB1? I'm still using the one from the original DP2.

Do you know if there is an updated APFS.efi for DP2 U1/PB1? I'm still using the one from the original DP2.

As far as I know the APFS.efi is still the same and the md5 is the same look here

• Like 2

As far as I know the APFS.efi is still the same and the md5 is the same look here

Great, thanks, I missed that. Also I just re-installed PB1 fresh (wiped the DP2 install) and again I had to reset my Apple ID. It's weird because it let me set it up with it.. I got to the desktop, the iCloud keychain had been enabled because it connected to my wifi straight away. Then a few seconds later - have to reset the password again! Bit of a pain, but I'll just be using the App Store updates to keep it updated from now until release (as long as nothing goes terribly wrong).

Great, thanks, I missed that. Also I just re-installed PB1 fresh (wiped the DP2 install) and again I had to reset my Apple ID. It's weird because it let me set it up with it.. I got to the desktop, the iCloud keychain had been enabled because it connected to my wifi straight away. Then a few seconds later - have to reset the password again! Bit of a pain, but I'll just be using the App Store updates to keep it updated from now until release (as long as nothing goes terribly wrong).

Well congrats on the new fresh system.

But a word of advice, if you are going to reset the password for the Apple ID I strongly suggest that you do it on a legitimate apple product such as iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook or any there apple device that you might have. It might not matter at all but I think using a genuine apple product gives you the authenticity that apple requires.

For those that get the password reset notification, do you have two factor authentication on?

Some of us do and some of us don't. For instance I don't but @arsradu does.

I had edit my post see up

For macgen84 :

acpi in 2  :

Did you used Mac pro 6,1 SMBIOS  right in your hack with Sierra before ?

Thanks. I used MacPro6,1 SMBIOS under Sierra, but with DSDT patched for my motherboard Asus P8z77-v Pro.

With High Sierra, DSDT patched don't work with kernel panic....

Thanks. 

But a word of advice, if you are going to reset the password for the Apple ID I strongly suggest that you do it on a legitimate apple product such as iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook or any there apple device that you might have. It might not matter at all but I think using a genuine apple product gives you the authenticity that apple requires.

I do have 2 factor authentication turned on.

Hmm, I already reset it on my hack. The UI kinda forces you to (since you have to supply a code sent to your phone by SMS, etc.), and once your account is locked you're kicked out of iCloud on all those other devices straight away.

Thanks. I used MacPro6,1 SMBIOS under Sierra, but with DSDT patched for my motherboard Asus P8z77-v Pro.

With High Sierra, DSDT patched don't work with kernel panic....

Thanks. I Try your EFI Folder

Try to put your DSDT not patched in ACPI /origin

Run to create SSDT for your CPU piker-alpha-sh and put it in ACPI/patched copy and renane in the copy to SSDT2 (keep the both folders)

Since Clover 4097 most mobos, unsupported or XCPM CPUs are running.

• Like 1

I do have 2 factor authentication turned on.

Hmm, I already reset it on my hack. The UI kinda forces you to (since you have to supply a code sent to your phone by SMS, etc.), and once your account is locked you're kicked out of iCloud on all those other devices straight away.

Yeah I know that when the iCloud forces you to reset the password, there is noting that you can do about I've been there ;). But I just thought that you might wanna consider that. It's not a big deal.

I just made a fresh install of Hi Sierra on the HDD this time. To see if there's any improvement. And...well, it's still slow as hell. :)) Logging in with my Apple ID during the first setup ended in a timeout. :)) So..yeah...not ideal in any way.

But my password is intact. No reset prompt. And yes, I wiped the entire HDD. If that's not clean enough, I don't know what is.

So, at this point, if you ask me, I don't think it's a matter of OS. It's just the config. You probably needed to change some IDs in there to avoid some issues with the system. And suddenly everything is mismatched. Also, I'm not sure this is related to 2-factor auth...probably not... But I cannot confirm at this time.

• Like 1

I just made a fresh install of Hi Sierra on the HDD this time. To see if there's any improvement. And...well, it's still slow as hell. :)) Logging in with my Apple ID during the first setup ended in a timeout. :)) So..yeah...not ideal in any way.

But my password is intact. No reset prompt. And yes, I wiped the entire HDD. If that's not clean enough, I don't know what is.

So, at this point, if you ask me, I don't think it's a matter of OS. It's just the config. You probably needed to change some IDs in there to avoid some issues with the system. And suddenly everything is mismatched. Also, I'm not sure this is related to 2-factor auth...probably not... But I cannot confirm at this time.

Well compare to the first and the second DP it has a slightly better performance but as you said it's far from ideal performance in comparison to HFS. Maybe APFS is only for SSD and the ones whom want to use macOS High Sierra on older computers need to stick to the HFS rather than using the APFS.

Try to put your DSDT not patched in ACPI /origin

Run to create SSDT for your CPU piker-alpha-sh and put it in ACPI/patched copy and renane in the copy to SSDT2 (keep the both folders)

Since Clover 4097 most mobos, unsupported or XCPM CPUs are running.

Thanks. I've forgotten: my macpro6,1 SMBIOS was OK with Beta 2.

"Since Clover 4097 most mobos, unsupported or XCPM CPUs are running." Clover Developers will correct?

Thanks. I've forgotten: my macpro6,1 SMBIOS was OK with Beta 2.

"Since Clover 4097 most mobos, unsupported or XCPM CPUs are running." Clover Developers will correct?

Before booting with Clover 4097 , i tried clover 4084, clover 4091 and clover 4094 without success and for me clover 4097 seems good for G1840 CPU ( don't have tried to install on  my other i 4150 build :  just have booting with success on clover 4084 but i reboot at the langage on the installer selection not insterested to install 10.13 in this build )

For those of you having the icloud password reset problem, I may have an explanation.

I too started having this problem when I started testing high sierra. I don't have TFA enabled, and the problem started happening randomly on both high sierra (all beta versions) and sierra (10.2.5) on fresh installs. Had to reset my icloud password almost a dozen times so far.

Tought the only thing I had changed was clover version (now using 4097) but didn't think that was the problem. Suddenly, I remembered that I had updated my BiosVersion key in the SMBios section of my config.plist to allow use of APFS. But when I checked my config.plist for consistency, I realized that I had not updated the BiosReleaseDate key of the SMBIOS section, and that that key still displayed the release date of the previous value of BiosVersion. In other words, my SMBios section had the following values in it:

<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>

<string>11/30/2016</string>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>MBP133.88Z.0226.B24.1704292117</string>

I have now corrected my config.plist to contain the following:

<string>04/29/2017</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>

and will now do further testing.

If this was indeed the source of the problem, it highlights the critical importance of having an absolutely consistent configuration for having a properly working hackintosh.

• Like 1

For those of you having the icloud password reset problem, I may have an explanation.

I too started having this problem when I started testing high sierra. I don't have TFA enabled, and the problem started happening randomly on both high sierra (all beta versions) and sierra (10.2.5) on fresh installs. Had to reset my icloud password almost a dozen times so far.

Tought the only thing I had changed was clover version (now using 4097) but didn't think that was the problem. Suddenly, I remembered that I had updated my BiosVersion key in the SMBios section of my config.plist to allow use of APFS. But when I checked my config.plist for consistency, I realized that I had not updated the BiosReleaseDate key of the SMBIOS section, and that that key still displayed the release date of the previous value of BiosVersion. In other words, my SMBios section had the following values in it:

<string>11/30/2016</string>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

I have now corrected my config.plist to contain the following:

<string>04/29/2017</string>
<key>BiosVersion</key>

and will now do further testing.

If this was indeed the source of the problem, it highlights the critical importance of having an absolutely consistent configuration for having a properly working hackintosh.

Looking forward to your results. :)

By the way, did you change the Board-ID? Cause, I've got a feeling that might have a bigger impact than the BIOS release date. I could be very much wrong. But, I don't know. It's just what my gut says.

Clover add most of the smbios data, most of the time it's accurate and up to date. Just specify the serials and product name.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

How does Clover add that? I always used Clover Configurator to generate SMBIOS information. Does Clover have a feature for this? And if so, how do I use it?