[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Successfully upgraded from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 today!

377678051_Screenshot2018-12-06at10_37_52.thumb.png.738d93bb256bfc81b1a7d42b1a3d8ba5.png

Important notes:

1. You will need an external mouse because touchpad will not work right after the update!

2. You have to recreate kernel cache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache  
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel  
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

GREAT GUIDE !!

I managed to install mojave on my xps 9550;

Almost works perfectly ! except my DA200: Ethernet and USB don't work after a sleep. I have to unplug, wait 10 sec and replug to make it work. 

( Last BIOS: 1.9 I think)

Same behaviour with my WD15

Any hint on any BIOS parameter I'd need to change, because you specificaly said DS200 should work even Hot-Plug ...

Thanks again!

ECH

On 12/6/2018 at 1:44 AM, Mr.C said:

Successfully upgraded from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 today!

377678051_Screenshot2018-12-06at10_37_52.thumb.png.738d93bb256bfc81b1a7d42b1a3d8ba5.png

Important notes:

1. You will need an external mouse because touchpad will not work right after the update!

2. You have to recreate kernel cache

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache  
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel  
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

SOLVED:

By patching AppleBackLight.kext and then recreating kernel cache.

I just updated to 10.14.2 Mouse was slow but it was working. I recreate the kernel and injected my monitor id to AppleBacklightInjector but the backlight isn't working. Any thoughts on this.

Edited by hackedWifi
SOLVED

I'm back. I gave up on Manjaro Linux on the 9550. Not because it wasn't working - it was. Actually it was great - full use of the NVIDIA dGPU, great hibernation. But Linux is not MacOS when it comes to productivity.

Here's a heads-up for those who want to restore a 10.13 TimeMachine backup onto 10.14 or just move from 10.13 to 10.14:

• Delete all the following kext you manually added to /L/E:
    • X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext - It took me two complete re-install attempts to find this as the culprit for the Kernel panics
    • AppleGraphicsDevicePolicyInjector.kext

•  

I went for AppleALC for Audio, which doesn't need Verbstub or CodecCommand

@wmchris: Your CLOVER folder contains AptioMemoryFix.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi, but to my understanding these are mutually exclusive.

Edited by Gymnae

10 hours ago, Gymnae said:

@wmchris: Your CLOVER folder contains AptioMemoryFix.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi, but to my understanding these are mutually exclusive.

correct. tbh i wasn't aware of it. must've happened while upgrading the clover files. why does this work?!

9 hours ago, wmchris said:

correct. tbh i wasn't aware of it. must've happened while upgrading the clover files. why does this work?!

You might also want to check if you need CodecCommander/Verbstub and AppleALC - in my experience just AppleALC is enough for Audio to work.

21 hours ago, wmchris said:

I noticed this too but assumed you had good reason. In troubleshooting and experimenting with native nvram I've tried several combinations and exclusive usage of each aptiofix. For whatever reason it seems my particular laptop necessitates both. It will not boot otherwise. Admittedly, I am ignorant to most of the technical discussion going on here, but thought id provide my observation.

Appreciate your continued commitment to the platform!

3 hours ago, kennylauer said:

I noticed this too but assumed you had good reason. In troubleshooting and experimenting with native nvram I've tried several combinations and exclusive usage of each aptiofix. For whatever reason it seems my particular laptop necessitates both. It will not boot otherwise. Admittedly, I am ignorant to most of the technical discussion going on here, but thought id provide my observation.

Appreciate your continued commitment to the platform!

hm strange. mine is booting with either one. because this doesnt seem to result in any crash and at least one person has a benefit from it, lets declare this as a feature, not a bug :-)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wmchris said:

hm strange. mine is booting with either one. because this doesnt seem to result in any crash and at least one person has a benefit from it, lets declare this as a feature, not a bug :-)

Mine can boot with either AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFix3Drv, but in any case I need AllocFix, otherwise no slide value can be found - even if I calculate one.

In other news: Mojave is quite nice, gotta say.

5 hours ago, parseInt32 said:

Hi, 
could someone who have installed it tell me how is the touchpad working? Does it simulate gestures through keyboard shortcuts or it's working like a real trackpad?

Hi,

Can't tell you what it simulates.... just Can tell you it workds almost ok.... only 2 fingers secondary clicks are swallowed

Does someone faced... and solved the issue ?

It worked avec the very first boot after a freshly installed mojave... then no matter how hard I click.. 2 fingers clicks do not work.

Regards

EC

Laptop: XPS 15 9550, core i7, 16GB SSH 500 Toshiba display FHD. 

What irks me immediately again are the fans. In Linux, there's an smbios tool to adjust fan behavior. I don't find a way to adjust the fan here, but they are spinning way too high, even when there's no load.

Is there a way to adjust the fan speed curve or fan behavior?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been keeping an eye on VoodooI2C and the latest commits finally fix right click on the trackpad as well as make it a lot nicer to use. Great work alex.daoud and coolstar. There is no official release yet so I am using gujiangjiang build from here . Issue thread was found here. Glad the scaling problems could be sorted out

Edited by reece394
  • Thanks 1

I have upgraded one of my location to Google WiFi. I now notice that the WiFi compatibility seem to not be as expected...

It's a two story location with concreet walls with 3 Access Points. It simply refuses to connect to the closes network, and insists on 5Ghz AC connection rather then 2.4Ghz even though it gives poor connection. I remember reading before about someone else having problems with the WiFi on this configuration. Has there been any updates on that specific issue and maybe someone is interested in troubleshooting?

• 2 weeks later...

Please help a noob out. AptioMemoryFix issues, of course. Just can't get the installer to load. What else can I try?

DEFAULT CONFIG

Error allocating 0x13ed5 pages at 0x000000001e9ed000 alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area

memmap reveals an Available block, 17267 in size, Start 12199000 (see attached screenshot).  Using the new calculation, I'm adding slide=145 to my config.plist boot parameter.  Then I still get:

Error allocating -13ed5 pages at 0x0000000016ded000 alloc type 2

I have tried adding and removing all the OsxAptioFix versions including free2000, as well as the AptioMemoryFix.efi too. All combinations, both with and without the slide have failed to work.

note: my previous installation of 10.13 works just fine, using the older version of Clover with free2000 and slide=0.

memmap.jpg

Successfully upgraded from 10.14.2 to 10.14.3 still have to recreate kernel cache after upgrade

Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 14.37.24.png

Also updated Clover to 4844 and kexts to latest versions:

AirportBrcmFixup (1.1.9)
 AppleALC (1.3.4)
 BrcmPatchRam (2.2.10)
 BT4LEContiunityFixup (1.1.2)
 Clover Bootloader (4844)
 CodecCommander (2.7.1)
 CPUFriend (1.1.5)
 FakePCIID (1.3.15)
 Lilu (1.3.1)
 NoTouchID (1.0.1)
 NullEthernet (1.0.6)
 VirtualSMC (1.0.2)
 VoodooI2C (2.1.4)
 WhateverGreen (1.2.6)
 VoodooPS2 (1.9.2)

Edited by Mr.C
more updates

Same for me macOS 10.14.3 installed fine for me no issues beyond having to clear caches and I did the same as @Mr.C and updated Clover and my kexts to latest versions. I was having a look around and I see a few ways potentially to eliminate a few kexts. Instead of using AppleBacklightInjector.kext maybe could try using the AppleBacklight feature built into the latest versions of WhateverGreen. It is based off of AppleBacklightFixup. Also could potentially get rid of FakePCIID entirely as AirportBrcmFixup can be used for the WiFi card. And fakepciid_intel_hdmi_audio.kext might be able to be replaced maybe with framebuffer connection patches and WhateverGreen based on here. I am going to try and work on this next week when I have more time. I got my idea from another guide for a different laptop here. The reason to eliminate kexts is to try and see if they improve system stability any more than currently available. Been having memory leaks but I believe these are all down to VoodooI2C even on the current master non released builds...

Managed to get rid of FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, BT4LEContiunityFixup.kext and the Enable BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot Clover Patch. Works great with just AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. Also managed to get rid of AppleBacklight.kext from both /L/E and the clover kexts. Just had to download the AppleBacklightFixup from here. And replace the SSDT-PNLF.aml file in CLOVER/ACPI/patched with the one in that download. WhateverGreen has AppleBacklightFixup bundled inside it so the kext inside that download is no longer needed. Also can remove change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx in AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan) from KextToPatch in clover.plist.

Edited by reece394
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2019 at 9:47 PM, reece394 said:

Managed to get rid of FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, BT4LEContiunityFixup.kext and the Enable BT4LE-Handoff-Hotspot Clover Patch. Works great with just AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext. Also managed to get rid of AppleBacklight.kext from both /L/E and the clover kexts. Just had to download the AppleBacklightFixup from here. And replace the SSDT-PNLF.aml file in CLOVER/ACPI/patched with the one in that download. WhateverGreen has AppleBacklightFixup bundled inside it so the kext inside that download is no longer needed. Also can remove change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx in AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan) from KextToPatch in clover.plist.

if you want - just make a github pull request with your changes to improve the overall stability of the system for everyone. i'm a lil bit overloaded at the moment, (new child + a deadly sickness) so unless it's a system breaking bug i'm dependent on external help for general improvement. :/

Edited by wmchris
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 2:39 PM, wmchris said:

if you want - just make a github pull request with your changes to improve the overall stability of the system for everyone. i'm a lil bit overloaded at the moment, (new child + a deadly sickness) so unless it's a system breaking bug i'm dependent on external help for general improvement. :/

Hey Chris,

all the best for this taxing time. Thank you for the work you put into the repo and your guide. Hope the new child is healthy and you find peace with the sickness.

• Thanks 1

reece394 already updated the kexts to newer versions and removed now obsolete kexts for overall improvement.

However, this is only for the perfectionists or people with issues. I'm still running on the initial kexts on my personal machine and i have no issues regarding stability even after upgrading to 10.14.3.