[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

may i ask why so much people request opencore, while clover is working perfectly fine and is stable?

OC is in version 0.0.3 - which should be early alpha. i would not trust my whole operating system based on an early alpha key element.

I successfully setup my XPS 15 9550 yesterday (i7, 16gb ram, 1080p non touch). I can see the battery % but no estimated time left. Besides that I tried to "fix" the working audio to hopefully improve audio quality and while I am at it make the combo jack work and hdmi audio. Didn't test them before though. I ran the script for "SysCL prepatched AppleHDA" and deleted the SSDT-ALC298.aml. Then I also run the VerbStub by KNNSpeed script (and did nothing else) and rebooted. I said "Just install using the install.sh" so I thought that is it. Of course at the bottom it also says that I have to copy over the "VerbStub.kext" which I just now saw. One reboot later and still no audio. 

Were I even supposed to run both "fixes"? What should I do now to get working audio back? I have no idea what exactly these scripts do and how to undo both of them. Also while I am at it how can I disable the SD card reader from within Mac OS? I want it to still work in Windows.

edit: Currently the SD card is disabled in the BIOS but I am still fairly certain that I am losing battery life too fast compared to Windows.

edit2: I use 10.15 beta 1. I also saw the "keyboard_de_DE.keylayout" file on github and placed it where it is supposed to be. How do I select this profile? "Syscontrol: Keyboard" probably means in the keyboard settings? I wasn't able to find it though. Besides that my backlight works fine (maybe a tiny bit of flickering at the lowest setting) but I think the highest brightness is a bit lower than in Windows, I could be wrong though. Would using "PatchAppleBacklight_v2" give me any benefit?

Edited by karavus007

4 hours ago, wmchris said:

most, if not all of your questions are already answered in this thread.

Could you tell at what pages the sound stuff got discussed? I followed the guide and readme files as good as I could but reading 61 pages worth of discussion for a comment that potentially solves most of my questions seemed a bit much. I also asked on the hackintosh subreddit discord server but knowledge about a specific sound problem fix on a laptop isn't that common =P Either way thanks for your contribution to this, without the guide I wouldn't even be this far.

39 minutes ago, karavus007 said:

Could you tell at what pages the sound stuff got discussed? I followed the guide and readme files as good as I could but reading 61 pages worth of discussion for a comment that potentially solves most of my questions seemed a bit much. I also asked on the hackintosh subreddit discord server but knowledge about a specific sound problem fix on a laptop isn't that common =P Either way thanks for your contribution to this, without the guide I wouldn't even be this far.

well i dont want to get through the 60 pages, either. if you want an easy setup without hassle and without reading hundred pages of forum threads - use windows.

EDIT: oh btw, read the 9560 tutorial and forum thread, closed tickets in github and the general tutorials for sound injection, too. Also i would suggest taking a look in the command files to understand, what happened when you just ran these and where something could've gone wrong.

Edited by wmchris

1 hour ago, wmchris said:

well i dont want to get through the 60 pages, either. if you want an easy setup without hassle and without reading hundred pages of forum threads - use windows.

EDIT: oh btw, read the 9560 tutorial and forum thread, closed tickets in github and the general tutorials for sound injection, too. Also i would suggest taking a look in the command files to understand, what happened when you just ran these and where something could've gone wrong.

Was I even supposed to use both scripts together or are they not compatible together? Also it would be great if you actually linked to the thread in your guide or in the readme files. I know it was mentioned in a readme but no link anywhere to it.

1 minute ago, karavus007 said:

Was I even supposed to use both scripts together or are they not compatible together? Also it would be great if you actually linked to the thread in your guide or in the readme files. I know it was mentioned in a readme but no link anywhere to it. 

using both will break your sound.

6 hours ago, wmchris said:

using both will break your sound.

Ok now I know what I did wrong with the script in general. It didn't copy any files over because I didn't cd to the folder first before running the script. I checked everything and the combojack script literally reverses everything the other one does except the AppleHDA.kext itself. Restored from the .old file and even tried to get a new one, both didn't work. The script does everything except removing codeccomander from clover (tried with and without it), restoring SSDT-ALC298.aml (you had to manually remove it in the first place) and changing the SSDT config file layout ID from 48 to 72 (I even tried 11 which is normally used for the ALC3266).

I went over everything and undid everything AppleHDA_sysCL did and I am 99% certain that I did everything the ComboJack solution wants correctly. I have no idea why my audio is still not working D:

edit: Ok I kinda gave up and just reinstalled everything. Fresh OS, I ran the ComboJack script and after a reboot audio was still working :D the folders for Headphone.icns and l10n.json did not exist though so I just created them myself. While audio quality is great I do not get the pop up or whatever is supposed to happen to make the combojack actually work. Right now I can only get sound.

Edited by karavus007

On 8/11/2019 at 12:20 PM, wmchris said:

may i ask why so much people request opencore, while clover is working perfectly fine and is stable?

OC is in version 0.0.3 - which should be early alpha. i would not trust my whole operating system based on an early alpha key element.

I heard it's fast and more stable and written by good developers.Also clover is old and has lots of outdated patches that we dont neeed.I've booted up using OpenCore 0.0.4 version but the DSDT hotpatches are not working like Clover.Did you try it so far?

On 8/11/2019 at 3:36 AM, tiger511 said:

did you  try opencore in our laptop? had any success so far?

I tried, but I gave up, it was a lot of manual settings and I didn't have the time to finish it properly. I can't say if it works or not though, my guess is that there were some issues with my OC configuration and I'd have to do some more reading to actually learn to setup OC properly.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, golimpio said:

I tried, but I gave up, it was a lot of manual settings and I didn't have the time to finish it properly. I can't say if it works or not though, my guess is that there were some issues with my OC configuration and I'd have to do some more reading to actually learn to setup OC properly.

I have a working configuration without TrackPad and USB support.Seems like OC ACPI hotpatching is way different than clover.Having trouble renaming SSDT tables/devices. Boot times seems a bit better tho.

From antother Hackintosh project I learned about "one-key-cpufriend" - a very handy script which generates a CPUFriend kext and helper to lower the minimum frequency of our 9550 CPUs to their normal levels (800 Mhz). With this, things run cooler and longer.

Yet I noticed a strange behaviour. Before the first sleep after each booth, kernel_tasks runs between 30 - 45% of CPU without any necessity (no high temp, no high load). After the first sleep it's fixed and the systems idles happily. 

Maybe someone else can try and see if they notice the same issue.

2 hours ago, Gymnae said:

From antother Hackintosh project I learned about "one-key-cpufriend" - a very handy script which generates a CPUFriend kext and helper to lower the minimum frequency of our 9550 CPUs to their normal levels (800 Mhz). With this, things run cooler and longer.

Yet I noticed a strange behaviour. Before the first sleep after each booth, kernel_tasks runs between 30 - 45% of CPU without any necessity (no high temp, no high load). After the first sleep it's fixed and the systems idles happily. 

Maybe someone else can try and see if they notice the same issue.

is this really neccesary? i thought i tweaked the repository files to allow 800mhz as minimum

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wmchris said:

is this really neccesary? i thought i tweaked the repository files to allow 800mhz as minimum

It could be, I haven't always follwed your repo updates and used a mix and match with my old stuff :)

If you already include tweaked files, all the better. 

Hi I'm trying to install 10.14.6 using the files from git.  I have made a bootable usb which gets recognized at boot. Replaced the clover folder completely on the usb. Made the changes to the bios (could not find a way to disable the nvidia 960M in the bios) but it stops and reboots and bring me back to clover bootloader.

The text is too small on the screen to see the error, but I see three lines with error and last line with warning.

I suppose I can build the clover and config from scratch, but wondering someone has come across this issue.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

My specs on the 9550 are:

I7 6700HQ

16GB Ram Hynix

Dell Wireless 1830

Toshiba 256GB nvme 

QHD

Thanks

preboot.log

Edited by zdnum

On 8/28/2019 at 7:21 PM, zdnum said:

Hi I'm trying to install 10.14.6 using the files from git.  I have made a bootable usb which gets recognized at boot. Replaced the clover folder completely on the usb. Made the changes to the bios (could not find a way to disable the nvidia 960M in the bios) but it stops and reboots and bring me back to clover bootloader.

The text is too small on the screen to see the error, but I see three lines with error and last line with warning.

I suppose I can build the clover and config from scratch, but wondering someone has come across this issue.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

My specs on the 9550 are:

I7 6700HQ

16GB Ram Hynix

Dell Wireless 1830

Toshiba 256GB nvme 

QHD

Thanks

preboot.log

I deleted my post with screenshots.  I think my install was exiting because USB installer was corrupted (probably because I was using a Mojave VM to create the it) , I came across a very recent video by TechHandle on youtube who refers to the wmchris repo to make a usb installer without a Mac.

I have to say great work and thanks to both wmchris and techhandle.  I am typing this on the XPS running 10.14.6

Edited by zdnum

Hackintosh newbie here, my experience doing a clean install [10.14.6 (18G87)]

XPS 9550
i7
4k touch screen
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb nvme drive

Followed the instructions on here:
https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/10.14/Tutorial_10.14.md

And

https://hackintosh-multiboot.gitbook.io/hackintosh-multiboot/uefi/1-disk-+-no-os-macos

(to dual boot with windows 10)

Updated bios to 1.11.2

Made the linux usb but it turns out the adata drive doesn't support 4k sector sizes

Installation of macos went smoothly. Save for step 4 of the GitHub instructions where there were error when I typed the commands to recreate the kernel cache. I ignored it and after restart the machine wouldn't boot anymore. Followed the instructions here to get it fixed:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/327815-how-to-fix-“error-loading-kernel-cache-0x1”-on-existing-1013-installations/

For keyboard osx asks you to identify the keyboard, make sure you pick ISO (assuming US style keyboard). Otherwise the tilde button above tab doesn't work properly.

Trackpad and touchscreen gestures didn't work properly. Got the solution from another post on this forum:
 Steps:

1. Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions
2. Delete appleintellpssi2ccontroller.kext and appleintellpssi2c.kext
3. Install voodooi2c.kext and voodooi2chid.kext to /S/L/E
4. update kernel cache with sudo kextcache -i /
5. Reboot  

I did a lot of research on how to enable FileVault2 on hackintosh since GitHub tutorial says it doesn't work. Research turned out to be in vain because it turned out everything that my research said I needed to do was already implemented in the files on the GitHub repository. So I just turned it on and it works just fine. I noticed before enabling it that the machine was on APFS, even though I'm pretty sure I made the partition HFS in step 2.

Ironically the hardest part was installing windows. Created an EFI bootable drive using iso downloaded from Microsoft website.

Got error that either the partition couldn't be created (when making the partition via the installer) OR when selecting freespace for where to install:
 Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation.

Took a while but found a solution:

https://www.osx86.net/topic/18571-guide-add-full-gpt-boot-windows-8-or-10-to-your-hackintosh-the-easy-way/

I used the windows installer to get to the error (could not prepare the computer...), so the partitions were already created and didn't have to follow that set of steps from the link.

For installation using DISM, I used the steps from here, it's more detailed:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/84331-apply-windows-image-using-dism-instead-clean-install.html

But used the osx86.net instruction for installing the bootloader

After following the step, the windows bootloader not only got rid of clover but the laptop also refused to present the option to boot into any macos installation (even off usb). Had to use the windows installer usb go to command prompt and edit the EFI folder.

Renamed EFI > Microsoft > Boot -> bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

I recommend doing this step immediately after installing the windows bootloader so you don't get locked out of macOS.

After doing this, clover let me choose between macos and windows and everything was good.

On Windows, I installed dell drivers I downloaded from the dell website and ran windows update. This broke windows [oh the irony]. It could no longer shutdown, would get stuck on a black screen so I had to redo the windows installation. The second time around I installed the drivers 1 by 1, restarting after every installation. Windows works fine now.

MacOS also works pretty well. Only troubles:

1. Keyboard and touchpad sometimes stop working [1 or the other not both]. Fixed by restart. Suspect it is a hardware problem.
2. Wifi sometimes gets throttled to an unusable 10Mbps or so (through fast.com). Restart fixes it.
3. Boot up time is about 2 minutes (much slower than my 2011 mbp ~45 seconds). Suspect this is normal that clover needs some time to do it's thing
4. SSD read speeds are about 2000MBps compared to 3000MBps on windows
5. On finder, three finger drag (turned on via accessibility options) doesn't work properly (works fine on other apps)
6. Had this error ONCE, and couldn't boot:
couldn't allocate runtime area
Found solution here but haven't implemented it since it only happened the one time.
https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/Additional/slide_calc.md
7. Haven't figured out how to backup the filevaulted drive (all the tutorials I see involve making a decrypted copy). I'd like to make an exact backup encryption and all, prior to doing an update so I can do a simple restore if things break.
8. I saw somewhere on the forum that it's possible to use the Nvidia card but you can't switch between Nvidia and integrated dynamically. Not sure how to do this.

upgraded from 10.14.3 to 10.15.... I think the WD15 dock connecting/disconnecting on a running system is better than before (though on the third attempt USB ports on the dock stopped working).

• Touch screen no longer works, and neither to the trackpad gestures.
  • Unable to find the option for enabling 3-finger drag in 'Accessibility' Trackpad options
  • tried following steps mentioned by kovasky1 in a post earlier to delete appleintellpssi2ccontroller.kext and appleintellpssi2c.kext, but could not perform the following step to recreate the kernel cache
  • based on what I read it's because in 10.15 the system is on a separate read-only partition. I could not get it to work even from within recovery mode (which allows to disable SIP temporarily - resets on reboot).

So far everything else works as expected. 

(going to give the TB16 a try tomorrow).

On 9/7/2019 at 10:56 PM, nabeelmoeen said:

upgraded from 10.14.3 to 10.15.... I think the WD15 dock connecting/disconnecting on a running system is better than before (though on the third attempt USB ports on the dock stopped working).

• Unable to find the option for enabling 3-finger drag in 'Accessibility' Trackpad options
  • tried following steps mentioned by kovasky1 in a post earlier to delete appleintellpssi2ccontroller.kext and appleintellpssi2c.kext, but could not perform the following step to recreate the kernel cache
  • based on what I read it's because in 10.15 the system is on a separate read-only partition. I could not get it to work even from within recovery mode (which allows to disable SIP temporarily - resets on reboot).

No luck with usb ports on tb16

On 9/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, nabeelmoeen said:

https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/

this one is the culprit of your touch problems. There is already a workaround:

https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/214

Edited by wmchris