[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Trying to get swiping with 2 fingers on trackpad forward & backward in Safari to work.  Other gestures work fine.

Thanks for a great guide!

Happy New Year

I have the exact same challenge.

I've managed through ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext 4.7 b5 get everything working except for the forward/backward in Safari. It does however work in Finder (with 3 finger swipe motion instead of 2).

I have attached my Info.plist in case someone else might be interested in my configuration.

EDIT: Added attachment as .zip file

Info 2017-01-02.plist.zip

• Like 1

Hey @wmchris thanks for reposting your tutorial. I think it was really disrespectful what they did to you at TMX, glad to see you here.

Anyway, just wanted to share some things about the DA200 adapter. Mine came with the Realtek 8153 GBE, and it didn't worked out of the box.

I had to install this driver: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

That I found on this gist: https://gist.github.com/MadLittleMods/3005bb13f7e7178e1eaa9f054cc547b0

Also the USB port on my adapter isn't working with the new hot plug patch (All the rest wok just fine). Maybe is because of the Realtek drive? didn't test before installing it.

I attached a ioreg saved while the adapter was connected with a pen drive in it's USB port, if something seems wrong please let me know.

And the DA200 link on the tutorial seems broken, here's a working one: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=sg&l=en&s=bsd&cs=sgbsd1&sku=470-abnl

reg.ioreg.zip

• Like 1

Hi guys, anyone tried the latest XPS 9550 1.2.18 BIOS with MacOS yet? Reddit comments overall give it good reviews.

depends. on my 4K it fixed the PWM flickering. on my 1080p version it made it worse.

on my 4k it didnt change anything regarding the fan speed, on my 1080 it made the computer in fact silent.

Hey @wmchris thanks for reposting your tutorial. I think it was really disrespectful what they did to you at TMX, glad to see you here.

Anyway, just wanted to share some things about the DA200 adapter. Mine came with the Realtek 8153 GBE, and it didn't worked out of the box.

I had to install this driver: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

That I found on this gist: https://gist.github.com/MadLittleMods/3005bb13f7e7178e1eaa9f054cc547b0

Also the USB port on my adapter isn't working with the new hot plug patch (All the rest wok just fine). Maybe is because of the Realtek drive? didn't test before installing it.

I attached a ioreg saved while the adapter was connected with a pen drive in it's USB port, if something seems wrong please let me know.

And the DA200 link on the tutorial seems broken, here's a working one: http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=sg&l=en&s=bsd&cs=sgbsd1&sku=470-abnl

i doubt there are different versions available. mine worked out of the box. no need to install any driver. thats strange.

ok fact: my DA200 is different. I've a billboard USB device, which is missing at your setup. So they must be different. Damn it Dell!

Dear community,

just moved here and this is my first post.

Thanks wmchris to keep on sharing all this work!

what exactly is the problem about hibernation? I've read that even with Ubuntu there are issues, but if you log in (blindly with black screen) and push the brightness up, it should wake up correctly. Is this a possible solution?

@LanyP

I'm planning to use this system mostly with an USB soundcard, do the behaviour of sound disappearing randomly refers to the sound coming from you usb device or the internal soundcard of the pc?

Thank you again, kind regards

Enrico

@LanyP

I'm planning to use this system mostly with an USB soundcard, do the behaviour of sound disappearing randomly refers to the sound coming from you usb device or the internal soundcard of the pc?

Thank you again, kind regards

Enrico

So far I've only had audio problems with my audio interface, but I did notice that after changing the output a few times the sound becomes more stable. For me this is the last thing that really should ben fixed to get my system how I want it.

Hello, thanks for you reply, i'll be using the pc primarily as an audio workstation, so that's kind of annoying.

What USB interface are you using? have you had the same problem with osx 10.11?

Does anybody know if the sleep issue is also present with 10.11? I don't see it mentioned in the el cap guide....

Thanks, regards

E

Hello, thanks for you reply, i'll be using the pc primarily as an audio workstation, so that's kind of annoying.

Does anybody know if the sleep issue is also present with 10.11? I don't see it mentioned in the el cap guide....

Thanks, regards

E

there is no sleep issue, there is a hibernation issue.

Hibernation = Suspend to Disk

Sleep = Suspend to Ram

And yes, it's on both. Suspend to Disk can (and will) corrupt your disk drive if you're using the integrated original M.2 SSD.

Thanks, regards

E

I'm also using it primarily as an audio workstation. I have the m-audio mtrack 2x2, but I'm sure the problem isn't the interface but our hackintosh configuration. This is also my first time installing osx on this laptop and I went for Sierra instead of El capitan. So I don't know how that would work out.

Tomorrow I will do some more testing for how long the audio disappears, how I fix it etc..And then I'll let you know.

to be honest: unknown. noone tried that yet and i cant do it, because i dont own a hynix ssd to hack it myself.

Thanks for the great guide, just curious how likely is it to get a kext or some work around for Hynes ssd?

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies, I bought this laptop used earlier this week and I'll do the osx installation this weekend. I'll report my experience with my rme usb sound card asap.

Thanks wmchris for explaining the difference between sleep and hibernation!

Regards

Hi

I have a 2016 Dell XPS 9550 with 16GB Ram and 512 GB Nvram SSD. Using the latest version from the github repo with clover and a Sierra installation on a 16GB USB I can get the Mac installation running, but when I try to install or open disk utility then my internal harddrive will not show up. I can only see USB drives.

I had a similar problem when installing Ubuntu previously on the same computer, but then went into the BIOS settings and changed over to ACHI from RAID controller for the harddrives. After this the harddrive was detected for the ubuntu installation. On top of that I have disabled secure boot and some other settings. I've also tried other flavors of pre made XPS 9550 Clover configurations without luck (not even being able to launch the MacOS X installation GUI).

Does anyone have any hints as to what I need to do in order to trouble shoot this? I'd really like to have Mac running on my Dell computer as my old Mac is on it's last leg. 

Hi

I have a 2016 Dell XPS 9550 with 16GB Ram and 512 GB Nvram SSD. Using the latest version from the github repo with clover and a Sierra installation on a 16GB USB I can get the Mac installation running, but when I try to install or open disk utility then my internal harddrive will not show up. I can only see USB drives.

I had a similar problem when installing Ubuntu previously on the same computer, but then went into the BIOS settings and changed over to ACHI from RAID controller for the harddrives. After this the harddrive was detected for the ubuntu installation. On top of that I have disabled secure boot and some other settings. I've also tried other flavors of pre made XPS 9550 Clover configurations without luck (not even being able to launch the MacOS X installation GUI).

Does anyone have any hints as to what I need to do in order to trouble shoot this? I'd really like to have Mac running on my Dell computer as my old Mac is on it's last leg. 

Hello @magnusart

Welcome.

I suspect that you have an NVMe SSD?

Because of that you need to apply the NVMe patches even to your USB installer.

If you've a NVM SSD Drive, you need to install NVMe-Hackr with SSDT Spoofing (enables easier system upgrading from appstore). Dont do this if you use the HDD version of the Dell or you use your M.2 port for something different than a SSD (for ex. a UMTS modem)

sudo cp ./Post-Install/AD-Kexts/HackrNVMe/SSDT-Hackr.aml /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

sudo cp -r ./Post-Install/AD-Kexts/HackrNVMe/HackrNVMeFamilySpoof-10_12_2.kext /Library/Extensions/

But instead of Library/Extensions that would be your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 or Other

You can read more about what you are doing and trying to achieve at Rehabmans GitHub here: README.md

I suspect that you have an NVMe SSD?

Because of that you need to apply the NVMe patches even to your USB installer.

But instead of Library/Extensions that would be your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 or Other

You can read more about what you are doing and trying to achieve at Rehabmans GitHub here: README.md

that's not correct. the delivered config.plist for installation has the temporary patches in it. If nothing shows up then it's either something wrong configured in the EFI configuration, or it's a hynix SSD. Check the vendor from within linux or windows. If it is a hynix, your only chance is to swap it.

EDIT: but you can try the fix above anyway. you cant do any harm with it, and maybe some spoofing is everything thats needed to make it run?

Thanks for the reply. Below is the relevant output from sudo lspci -vvnn. I've also looked into the PCIO Path further below. I think it should fit the current config?

I guess I'll give the scripts a spin.

04:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Device [1c5c:1284] (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
Subsystem: Device [1c5c:0000]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: Memory at de400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 3
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1+,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)
Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable- Count=1/8 Maskable+ 64bit+
Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
Masking: 00000000  Pending: 00000000
Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=65 Masked-
Vector table: BAR=0 offset=00002000
PBA: BAR=0 offset=00003000
Capabilities: [c0] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
DevCap: MaxPayload 512 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <1us, L1 unlimited
ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+
DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+
RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ FLReset-
MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L1, Exit Latency L0s <1us, L1 <64us
ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+
LnkCtl: ASPM L1 Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+
ExtSynch- ClockPM+ AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range B, TimeoutDis+, LTR+, OBFF Via message
DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR+, OBFF Disabled
LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 8GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete+, EqualizationPhase1+
EqualizationPhase2+, EqualizationPhase3+, LinkEqualizationRequest-
Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
UESta: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
UEMsk: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
CESta: RxErr+ BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout+ NonFatalErr-
CEMsk: RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr+
AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+ ChkEn-
Capabilities: [150 v1] Device Serial Number 6c-f9-00-90-61-2e-e4-ac
Capabilities: [160 v1] Power Budgeting <?>
Capabilities: [1b8 v1] Latency Tolerance Reporting
Max snoop latency: 3145728ns
Max no snoop latency: 3145728ns
Capabilities: [300 v1] #19
Capabilities: [900 v1] L1 PM Substates
L1SubCap: PCI-PM_L1.2+ PCI-PM_L1.1+ ASPM_L1.2+ ASPM_L1.1+ L1_PM_Substates+
 PortCommonModeRestoreTime=120us PortTPowerOnTime=10us
Kernel driver in use: nvme
Kernel modules: nvme
*-pci:3
             beskrivning: PCI bridge
             produkt: Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #9
             tillverkare: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1d
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
             version: f1
             bredd: 32 bits
             klocka: 33MHz
             förmågor: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             konfiguration: driver=pcieport
             resurser: irq:16 memory:de400000-de4fffff
           *-storage
                beskrivning: Non-Volatile memory controller
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
                version: 00
                bredd: 64 bits
                klocka: 33MHz
                förmågor: storage nvm_express bus_master cap_list
                konfiguration: driver=nvme latency=0
                resurser: irq:16 memory:de400000-de403fff

04:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Device [1c5c:1284] (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])

sorry pal: vendor id 1c5c is hynix. No chance, except you want to switch the M.2 SSD. But if you want to help me fiddling with it a lil bit... (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/319929-pikeralphas-nvme-patch-with-hynix-m2-ssds/)

The just announced Dell XPS 15 9560 has Intel HD 630 graphics.  I'm thinking of upgrading.  I don't think the HD 630 Graphics are supported yet but they probably will be in the near future?

Thoughts?

Thanks

it's only a lil bit faster, but noone tested it, yet - @rehabman thinks it should work. no guarantee. But we know for sure that you'll HAVE TO (!) replace the wireless card as well as the NVMe, because (as far as leaks can be trusted) the 9560 will be using Hynix M.2 drives exclusively and will use the Rivet Killer Network Wifi adaptor - both not hackintosh compatible.

sorry pal: vendor id 1c5c is hynix. No chance, except you want to switch the M.2 SSD.

Too bad! :( Well, at least I know it's not going to work. Spent better part of 2 days on this. Are there any further information around hynix and why it won't work are there work ongoing that will likely change in the future? Thanks for the help so far even if this might be the end of the journey for me.

Too bad! :( Well, at least I know it's not going to work. Spent better part of 2 days on this. Are there any further information around hynix and why it won't work are there work ongoing that will likely change in the future? Thanks for the help so far even if this might be the end of the journey for me.

Apple has only a driver for their own NVMe devices. PikerAlpha hacked it and added the posibility to use this driver on non apple OEM SSDs. But this hack doesnt work with hynix devices.

Because i never had one i cant tell you why. It's possible that it can be easily fixed, but this requires at least some amount of time and skill.

The good thing is: you can easily swap the M.2 SSD for something compatible.

Thank you for all the work you have done on this project. I have been following this closely, and am close to purchase.

My primary work is audio post, I am looking to use a Thunderbolt audio I/O (Focusrite) with this setup.

Anyone gone that route already and can confirm success with a Thunderbolt interface? Thank you so much for your time!

MW