[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Thank you for all the work you have done on this project. I have been following this closely, and am close to purchase.

My primary work is audio post, I am looking to use a Thunderbolt audio I/O (Focusrite) with this setup.

Anyone gone that route already and can confirm success with a Thunderbolt interface? Thank you so much for your time!

MW

dont own any thunderbolt 3 device, so dunno. From my feeling i would give a high chance that thunderbolt does work, because the USB-C plug works pretty well as displayport and USB3.1

Any problems with it except for lower battery life?

Wysłane z mojego Pixel przy użyciu Tapatalka

nope. and you wont really see a difference if you use it daily, because sleep is pretty power efficient. had about 2-3% battery for 10h

Great! Gonna test it now! Thanks!

Edit:

Did anybody went through still waiting for root device on Samsung 950pro? Nvmegeneric.kext isn't forking for me same as files from this thread.

Can you guys share your clover folder? (I know it is not recommended)

Thanks on advance

It seems there is something wrong with SSDT and lid close.

I am using the computer in clamshell mode with two external displays attached.

On a normal MacBook Pro it would turn off/disable the internal monitor, but it seems like it doesn't happen with my configuration.

Looking into it!

Probably Lid closing LIDC that needs some hotpatching.

Edit:

Scratch that. I was using an USB docking station (DisplayLink), and that is not recognized as an external graphics output device.

I just switched one monitor to be using the built-in HDMI output on the laptop and that fixed it.

The question is still though, why did it not go to sleep?

Anyhow, the original problem solved itself.

hey everybody,

i am also coming from tony. thank you so much for starting this thread again. i am almost finished with some backup procedures to be able to set the xps back to factory settings and will start today. 

i also want to use the xps as an audio workstation, but i want to dual boot windows 10 for audio.

i thought this should be possible following some MultiBooting UEFI guides. 

i would appreciate any opinions and experiences on dual boot with the xps. thanks! 

i will try to report back

Hi, I've followed your guide but is not working fine.

I have an XPS 9550 i7, 4k, 512/16. The skylake graphics is glitchy as other users report. I've injected it with the platform id you gave, but it isn't resolved. Also IntelBacklight doesn't work.

Yes I have Toshiba NVMe 512 GB, I've reinstalled the nvmehackr and verbose stops after failing to initialize graphics firmware. If I press keys I can hear sounds form macOS but can't see anything.

Edit:

If I put IntelGFX id to 0x191B0000 it can boot, but still glitches.

Strange issue. Maybe op will give you some solution. I would try installing it once again and see if ive done all the steps.

Today I finished installing it and I must say XPS 15 is a perfect hackintosh. It works much better than my MacBook pro from 2013. No kernel panics. I need to test if MacBook pro 9.1 works. Any advantage of using mbp9.1 smvios over imac17.1?

he forgot the 4k core display patch.

If you're using the 4K monitor, you'll have to apply a small patch:

sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

without it will not display anything. that's why it's mentioned in the tutorial... twice...

@all: normally i dont answer questions from people who just dont read the original thread till the end... so if something is not working: check if you've done all steps correctly BEFORE asking!

btw: using nvmehackr with the installation config can result in really bad corruption of the ssd. Using the installation config at all for a longer period of time will result in bad corruption of the SSD.

wmchris, I (and probably some other happy users) would like to make a small donation for your work. You created tutorial which even for newbie is possible to use. Please share your PayPal here or by pm.

I was about to buy new MacBook pro with touchbar but your post made me buy XPS 15 from Dell outlet for about 1500 dollars. I can now spend rest for whiskey;)

thanks, but no need. If someone really wants to help: i still want to get this hynix ssd working, especially to make the tutorial compatible with the new dell 9560.

I have one volunteer with a hynix drive, but remote development using a webcam is pretty... complicated. :)

I already tried to buy one, but these are OEM only as far as i know, and i dont want to pay much $$$ for a bigger one.

so in case someone has the Dell 9550 with the small 32GB hynix ssd/hdd hybrid and want to get rid of it - PM me ;-)

btw @Diwad: you should really try the japanese whisky "Nikka Pure Malt" - no advertisement, i'm just a fan.

he forgot the 4k core display patch.

without it will not display anything. that's why it's mentioned in the tutorial... twice...

@all: normally i dont answer questions from people who just dont read the original thread till the end... so if something is not working: check if you've done all steps correctly BEFORE asking!

btw: using nvmehackr with the installation config can result in really bad corruption of the ssd. Using the installation config at all for a longer period of time will result in bad corruption of the SSD.

I do not forgot the display patch, I've applied it while putting the new config.plist on the ESP.

Ive also reinstalled everything but the problem is still there. Graphics glitches.

EDIT:

I faked the ID using 0x191b8086 and now it works.

I do not forgot the display patch, I've applied it while putting the new config.plist on the ESP.

Ive also reinstalled everything but the problem is still there. Graphics glitches.

EDIT:

I faked the ID using 0x191b8086 and now it works.

this doesnt make sense. Why would you fake the id to the original id? Do you still use the installation config.plist? You dont need the FakeID in the config.plist past the installation.

Edit: is it possible you mixed up "FakeID: IntelGFX" and "InjectEDID: ig-platform-id"?

I only know 3 posibilities for a black screen but reactive os (sounds): 1st: 4K patch not done, 2nd: kexts removed, 3rd: wrong ig-platform-id (and of course fiddling with the config.plist outside of the tutorial, especially IntelGFX values). If you just copied the files then 2 and 3 is out of choice, because it's preconfigured for the i7 with HD530.

hey wmchris

thank you so much for the guide. so far almost everything went really smooth without hassle.

the only "issue" right now is the missing wifi, because i have no internet connection at all right now. as i understood the killer wifi will not work. so my options are: getting the dell adapter, replacing the wifi card or using an external usb wifi stick? right?

is anybody aware of an external usb wifi solution?

which wifi card for replacement is suggested? (offtopic: does anybody know if this will kill the warranty?)

thanks again, i am really happy right know with my hackbook!