[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, 

i can report that i have a dual boot macOS 10.12.2/Windows 10 working very well so far.

As i asked about wifi a few days ago: For now i stay with the "D-Link DWA-131 - Revision E" external USB-Wifi. D-Link provides official 10.12 drivers which work very well.

@wmchris

Only i'm a little worried about the usage of the NVMe SSD (THNSN5512GPUK NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB) although it works very well.

Is your warning about "reported multiple data losses" in the "Afterword and fixes" section due to the usage of the NVMe SSD?

I closely followed your install instructions and read the articles (1, 2) about NVMe SSD but i did not understand very much to be honest.

Can i somehow check if the provided patch and kext are still working properly after updating? 

I would be very kind if you could elaborate about the current status of the usage of a NVMe SSD.

Thank you for all you effort.

if you followed the tutorial, then you've done the best to maximize stability. Still some people report data corruption and we dont know if this happens because they didn't follow the instructions. so use time machine as often as possible. TBH: i never had any data corruption yet, and i'm using my dell everyday for at least 8 hours. I'm using the Toshiba, too.

• Like 1

After one week of work with RME Babyface pro (and sometimes UFX) USB sound cards I can say that the system is very stable, thank you wmchris!

I'm waiting for a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter, to use in conjunction with a thunderbolt 2 to firewire 800 adapter, to test the system with my old RME Fireface 800. 

I'll be happy to participate to the purchase of a thunderbolt drive for wmchris so he can test it and have some reward for all the work done...

If you're ok with it you could post or pm your paypal address...

Regards

E

After one week of work with RME Babyface pro (and sometimes UFX) USB sound cards I can say that the system is very stable, thank you wmchris!

I'm waiting for a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter, to use in conjunction with a thunderbolt 2 to firewire 800 adapter, to test the system with my old RME Fireface 800. 

I'll be happy to participate to the purchase of a thunderbolt drive for wmchris so he can test it and have some reward for all the work done...

If you're ok with it you could post or pm your paypal address...

Regards

E

I will chip in for the thunderbolt 3 device as well. 

has anybody experienced wifi drop. like if my computer goes to sleep and wakes up, the airport is there and it seems to be connected but no internet what so ever. 

if I turn off the aiport before putting the computer the sleep and turn it on after waking the computer it works fine. 

I am also getting jittery glitches on my screen after sleep/wake. 

any ideas?

• Like 1

if you followed the tutorial, then you've done the best to maximize stability. Still some people report data corruption and we dont know if this happens because they didn't follow the instructions. so use time machine as often as possible. TBH: i never had any data corruption yet, and i'm using my dell everyday for at least 8 hours. I'm using the Toshiba, too.

Only had some data corruptions when I was experimenting with Sierra before this guide came out. With the SMBIOS now set to MacBookPro13,3 , the system runs really well. It's my daily driver/video editing machine. 

• Like 1

guys, really no need to start a fundraiser here ;-) i'm not interested in money at all.

I will chip in for the thunderbolt 3 device as well. 

has anybody experienced wifi drop. like if my computer goes to sleep and wakes up, the airport is there and it seems to be connected but no internet what so ever. 

if I turn off the aiport before putting the computer the sleep and turn it on after waking the computer it works fine. 

I am also getting jittery glitches on my screen after sleep/wake. 

any ideas?

can you please upload your IORegistry BEFORE and AFTER this bug happens? Can you make a foto (of course a screen would not work) of the distorted graphics?

Only had some data corruptions when I was experimenting with Sierra before this guide came out. With the SMBIOS now set to MacBookPro13,3 , the system runs really well. It's my daily driver/video editing machine.

You are not facing truncation problem? What is the best smbios right now?

Wysłane z mojego Pixel przy użyciu Tapatalka

As soon as I change SMSBIOS from iMac 17,1 to MacBookPro13,3, my OSX can't boot. The last entry mentions MacBookPro and ends with number followed with nanoseconds.

As soon as I change SMSBIOS from iMac 17,1 to MacBookPro13,3, my OSX can't boot. The last entry mentions MacBookPro and ends with number followed with nanoseconds.

Same here. And i need to install VodooHDA, because with AppleHDA sound fail a lot of times.

All new identifiers require a valid smbios. You cant just switch the identifier and leave the board-id, serial etc. if osx detects this it will not boot.

BTW: if someone knows a good serial generator for 13,3, please tell here. dont need it by myself, but maybe this could help some people. :-)

• Like 1

You need to delete SSDT.aml (which is an unnecessary since Clover boot loader has native power management).  As for MacBookPro13,3 clover configurator can generate that for you but the SMBIOS truncation problem still exists.

You need to delete SSDT.aml (which is an unnecessary since Clover boot loader has native power management).  As for MacBookPro13,3 clover configurator can generate that for you but the SMBIOS truncation problem still exists.

thats not correct. You can let clover generate the required power management informations by setting SSDT -> Generate to true, but this requires a clover version with skylake compatibility (dunno which version).  The reason the SSDT is not needed anymore is HWP which i enabled in the default configuration in the config.plist. I'll make this more clear in the GIT repo.

• Like 1

I had to change some permission to be able to repair the cache, ex:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/aDummyHDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/aDummyHDA.kext

after that I can repair it but I get the following messages:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext HackrNVMeFamilySpoof-10_12_2.kext
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/PACESupportSnowLeopard.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext NullEthernet.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelBacklight.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext
KernelCache ID: 920A66473622A32A5CE8028E0F046223

is this normal? thanks!

E

is this normal? thanks!

E

thats normal

regarding the TB3 "issue": can someone please do the following steps: disable thunderbolt security in EFI Setup, plugging in a TB3 device in windows and then boot in osx?

If the device does not show up: can i have an ioreg dump, please?

The dell uses a standard alpine ridge controller, so it should be pretty easy to get it working. maybe some SSDT editing required, but i still lack any TB3 devices and i only find TB3->TB2 adapters in an acceptable price range. So i need someone to help

@wmchris: I don't have windows anymore on my xps...

I switched to VoodooHDA, and the headphone out stopped working, as expected.

Are there any other possibilities to try in order to have both speakers and headphones out, without wake-up problems?

Thanks, regards

thats normal

regarding the TB3 "issue": can someone please do the following steps: disable thunderbolt security in EFI Setup, plugging in a TB3 device in windows and then boot in osx?

If the device does not show up: can i have an ioreg dump, please?

The dell uses a standard alpine ridge controller, so it should be pretty easy to get it working. maybe some SSDT editing required, but i still lack any TB3 devices and i only find TB3->TB2 adapters in an acceptable price range. So i need someone to help

Hi Chris,

I have just bought a new Thunderbolt adapter in order to connect my MIDI keyboard. When I plug the cable in its buttons are lite but my DAW don't recognize the keys. No issues in Windows 10. Here's my ioreg file:

iMac.zip

wmchris

here is the video with flickering and distortion, I have updated smbios to mbp13,3 and now the internet does not drop but the flickering got worse.

as thunderbolt goes now it sees that something is plugged but it says no drivers found rather than no thunderbolt available.

I am trying to figure out how to install windows now and when I do I can tell you the results

Did you forgot to attach the video? I don't see anything

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have changed my smbios thanks to  Deniryer and now I have MacBook Pro 13,3 as my profile. 

Wifi does not drop after the laptop goes to sleep. but the glitches went a bit worse now especially after waking up from sleep.

whenever I connect tb3 device it sees it as a usb c but tb3 drive does not mount. (I see a usb card on my system tray)

In my system profiler it says there are no thunderbolt drivers installed rather than no thunderbolt. I will try to install windows today. (trying to figure out how to do it since I don't have a windows anymore) 

hackedWifi and wmchris

the video with the glitch and jitter is here

edit: Installed Win 10, it was a hell of a ride since windows 10 sees your exFat GPT drive as a Hybrid and thus sees it as MBR :(, really upsetting, so you need to install GPT DRIVE and follow these steps 

after turning your win partition to GPT only win10 install goes fine(no wifi at the moment anybody know a solution ). plug back in the thunderbolt drive and voila it works fine. now back in Mac OS "No drivers are Loaded" on system profiler. 

All new identifiers require a valid smbios. You cant just switch the identifier and leave the board-id, serial etc. if osx detects this it will not boot.

BTW: if someone knows a good serial generator for 13,3, please tell here. dont need it by myself, but maybe this could help some people. :-)

I used the latest version of Clover Configurator (4.37.0), which has the SMBIOS generators for the MacBookPro13,3 and MacBookPro13,2 . Don't forget that you need to redo the iMessage procedure if you want to keep the apple services working. 

I used the latest version of Clover Configurator (4.37.0), which has the SMBIOS generators for the MacBookPro13,3 and MacBookPro13,2 . Don't forget that you need to redo the iMessage procedure if you want to keep the apple services working. 

Generating valid Serial Number, SmUUID and Board Serial Number doesn't help with MacBookPro13,3. The boot process ends up with kernel panic in my case. There must be something else that causes a failed boot process.

post-1947947-0-73200400-1484660469_thumb.jpg

Today i have a corrupted NVMe D: And yes, i have disabled hibernation with: "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" and laptop only poweron and poweroff (no sleep) -.-

With ubuntu:

fsck.hfsplus -fpar /dev/nvme0n1p2

The log here (too long to put in quote/code)

http://pastebin.com/QJSedmQm

I force to mount the partition and i can backup my data (surprise!).

Well, its a good choice to study how to recover this situation....

Today i have a corrupted NVMe D: And yes, i have disabled hibernation with: "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" and laptop only poweron and poweroff (no sleep) -.-

With ubuntu:

fsck.hfsplus -fpar /dev/nvme0n1p2

The log here (too long to put in quote/code)

http://pastebin.com/QJSedmQm

I force to mount the partition and i can backup my data (surprise!).

Well, its a good choice to study how to recover this situation....

Sorry to hear that @mikolatero.

We really need to find a permanent fix for these NVMe corruptions...

I have had the same experience, although this latest install has been running for 2 weeks without a problem.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 is a must.

Previous guides has been saying that it can be set to 3 (darkhandz), but I've had corruptions with that setting.

I initially "blamed" goodwin_c's HWPEnabler.kext, which I am certain has something to do with it, but on this installation I have both HWPEnabled = true in EFI/CLOVER/config.plist as well as the HWPEnabler.kext in L/E.

My thoughts are that we can't be enabling HWP as late as KEXT loads, it needs to be before the kernel loads, i.e. in clover bootloader.

To sum up my experience:

Corruption 1:

No change to pmset hibernatemode

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

Corruption 2:

pmset hibernatemode 3

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

Corruption 3:

pmset hibernatemode 0

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

Current (2 weeks running setup without corruption (yet?) ):

pmset hibernatemode 0

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

HWPEnabled = true in config.plist

What was your setup regarding HWPEnabler?

The more information we have, the more likely we can find a solution.

@Lockzi My setup is running without HWPEnabler.kext in S/L/E with hibernate mode set to 0. I remember that goodwin_c mentioned at the previous thread that we do not need the kext since we can enable it at clover configurator and it is supported by Clover EFI (38XX ver and higher supports HWP if I am not wrong, have to check it at changelogs). So far I haven't encounter data corruption.

Sorry to hear that @mikolatero.

We really need to find a permanent fix for these NVMe corruptions...

I have had the same experience, although this latest install has been running for 2 weeks without a problem.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 is a must.

Previous guides has been saying that it can be set to 3 (darkhandz), but I've had corruptions with that setting.

I initially "blamed" goodwin_c's HWPEnabler.kext, which I am certain has something to do with it, but on this installation I have both HWPEnabled = true in EFI/CLOVER/config.plist as well as the HWPEnabler.kext in L/E.

My thoughts are that we can't be enabling HWP as late as KEXT loads, it needs to be before the kernel loads, i.e. in clover bootloader.

To sum up my experience:

Corruption 1:

No change to pmset hibernatemode

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

Corruption 2:

pmset hibernatemode 3

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

Corruption 3:

pmset hibernatemode 0

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

Current (2 weeks running setup without corruption (yet?) ):

pmset hibernatemode 0

HWPEnabler.kext in L/E

HWPEnabled = true in config.plist

What was your setup regarding HWPEnabler?

The more information we have, the more likely we can find a solution.

So if data corruption occurs. The system becomes useless? Or are you guys checking for data corruption?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wmchris

I got IOREG dump while my Sierra was working after clean boot. 

then restarted and booted to windows and run TB3 with no security, mounted a tb2 drive with star tech adapter. skim through files and confirmed that it is working fine.

Restarted the machine with OSX and no tb drive showed up when booted, put the machine to sleep and woke it up and got another iodump.

tried killing two birds with one stone. TB3 problem and the video glitch after sleep. 

Here are the files, IM doesn't let me upload files. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25628785/IOreg.zip