[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

@Gymnae

If you can describe step-by-step how to reproduce your issues with Final Cut Pro (never used it before, so really detailed instructions will be appreciated) - i can try on my laptop. I have a little bit different setup than on wmchris repo - so it may be interesting to check if it will also crash.

Hi all. Just wanted to let you all know my findings.

I have the 9550 xps 15.

16gb ram, 512gb Toshiba xg4, 4k LCD, killer 1535 WiFi

BIOS 1.2.25 never booted with osxaptiofix2-64. Slide parameter of 168 was not correct for me. Even when I worked out a slide for my memmap it would then give me kernel cache problem. I had to use osxaptiofix-free2000 with slide of 97. This allowed me to install.

So after installation of sierra 10.12.5. It still wouldn't boot with osxaptiofix2-64. I get the kernel cache problem and couldn't allocate 13 pages. I didn't want to use free2000 because tutorial says its not stable. So I googled around and saw that darkhandz was using osxaptiofix-64. Version 1 and the trick he does is not even set the slide parameter at all. This works fine for me.

I forgot which audio kext I was using but I wanted to use the one knnspeed suggested for 9560.

I'm using the WiFi tp link wn725n v2 USB 11n adapter. It works fine and acts like a Ethernet adapter. This was using the latest to link beta drivers.

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Hello,

Just to let anyone having problems with their audio know, @KNNSpeed just released a new solution for it on the XPS15 9560 thread. I test it on my XPS15 9550 and it is fully compatible (Both the 9560 and 9550 share the same codec), it replaces the CodecCommander kext and the ALCPlugFix, with his VerbStub kext, which solve all sound related problems our machines were facing (Sleep and Line-in for me). If anyone else want to test link is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324366-dell-xps-15-9560-4k-touch-1tb-ssd-32gb-ram-100-adobergb​/page-6#entry2458025

P.S: His solution works alongside AppleALC and Lilu, and, although, his post says it needs a modded version of it, @vit9696 already merged his changed on the official AppleALC repo, so you can grab the latest version from there: (https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC), you will need to compiled it thought.

Can you post a idiot's guide on how to switch from wmchris config to this?

Hello everyone, I've been scanning through all 30something pages of this thread trying to find an answer to my problem, but with no Success. So here I am.

I'm having a strange problem that doesn't seem like it's been addressed before. I've followed each step to a T, but the problem persists. I can't change my brightness with the brightness up/down keys. If I attempt to, the entire machine hard locks with no mouse movement and an abrupt stop to the audio. If I plug/unplug the machine, the same thing occurs. However, in System Preferences -> Display I have a brightness slider that works as intended; as well as the screen dims when the machine stays idle for too long with an immediate brightening when the mouse moves or a key is pressed.

I've tried changing everything and anything to correct this, even going so far as Starting back at step 1 and creating a new installer with other tools instead of Pandoras Box as well as many different versions of clover and DSDT combinations. Have any of you encountered such a bug?

Fixed! The backlight injector needed to be in the EFI environment, not just in /L/E.

• Like 2

Hey guys,

not sure, if someone else asked this before (thread is going bigger & bigger -> perfect), but I recognized the following "problem":

I use the files from wmchris's repo (so thankful !!!! Thanks!!! ), but couldn't get into the system (using 1.2.25 Bios). So I decided to use the OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi from another repo (GitHub - corenel/XPS9550-OSX: This repository contains my own files ...) and it worked right away. Strange :D I patched my backlight (1080p model) for better stepping, anything else is as wmchris suggest it to be in his guide. 

When I stream, especially from Eurosport or dailymotion, the system stuck every 4-6 sec, but audio still works perfectly, only video output is lagging (Mouse, too). Other streams work just great, couldn't figure out the reason. If I use Opera instead of Safari, there is no problem. I just want it to be solved having the "real Mac feeling" as good as possible and perhaps, anyone else experiences the same problem..

On my Hackintosh-Desktop, same OS (10.12.5), Safari can play it without any lag

Anyone an idea, what the cause could be?

I have now edited the SSDT-WIFI_Syspref.aml that it matches to ARPT when this fixes the WiFi Issues after. Sleep. Please test if it works correctly for you. 

I've added it, no problem btw I still have the slow speed issue (40mbps instead of 120mbps)...

I can also reproduce this problem. I did an iPerf Test on my local network before and after Sleep. Before Sleep the highest value was 141 Mbit/s and after Sleep I got only around 20 Mbit/s

for me I always have slow speed, before or after sleep... 

• Like 1

I have now disabled in Syspref -> Energy the Option that it wakes when there is an WiFi Traffic detected. I only have this Option in german language then I think it is not properly translated by me but I think you know what I mean.

That is my iPerf Result before Sleep

[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth

[  4]  0.0- 1.0 sec  13.1 MBytes   110 Mbits/sec

[  4]  1.0- 2.0 sec  16.1 MBytes   135 Mbits/sec

[  4]  2.0- 3.0 sec  17.5 MBytes   147 Mbits/sec

[  4]  3.0- 4.0 sec  17.1 MBytes   144 Mbits/sec

[  4]  4.0- 5.0 sec  12.8 MBytes   107 Mbits/sec

[  4]  5.0- 6.0 sec  10.8 MBytes  90.2 Mbits/sec

[  4]  6.0- 7.0 sec  14.8 MBytes   124 Mbits/sec

[  4]  7.0- 8.0 sec  16.0 MBytes   134 Mbits/sec

[  4]  8.0- 9.0 sec  15.2 MBytes   128 Mbits/sec

[  4]  9.0-10.0 sec  15.2 MBytes   128 Mbits/sec

[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   149 MBytes   125 Mbits/sec

and that is after Sleep

[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth

[  4]  0.0- 1.0 sec  12.4 MBytes   104 Mbits/sec

[  4]  1.0- 2.0 sec  16.2 MBytes   136 Mbits/sec

[  4]  2.0- 3.0 sec  17.0 MBytes   143 Mbits/sec

[  4]  3.0- 4.0 sec  18.0 MBytes   151 Mbits/sec

[  4]  4.0- 5.0 sec  17.9 MBytes   150 Mbits/sec

[  4]  5.0- 6.0 sec  18.1 MBytes   152 Mbits/sec

[  4]  6.0- 7.0 sec  17.6 MBytes   148 Mbits/sec

[  4]  7.0- 8.0 sec  16.5 MBytes   138 Mbits/sec

[  4]  8.0- 9.0 sec  14.0 MBytes   117 Mbits/sec

[  4]  9.0-10.0 sec  14.8 MBytes   124 Mbits/sec

[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   163 MBytes   136 Mbits/sec

• Like 1

Hi! Can you guys help me?

Today I rebooted my laptop and did not want to load the OS. Reinstalled it, can boot but I faced with this:

LaunchHelper and SocialPushAgent always quit unexpectedly.

I found that if I run this command, the Push Agent will not start again but it is not a solution bcos I want to use it.

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SocialPushAgent.plist

Is there any solution for my situation? I kepp digging the whole net because it is so annoying

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/Audio/VerbStub_knnspeed

but no support from my side.

PS: 10.12.6 has been tested and works well without any modification!

> This has a dependency on Lilu.kext, which is known to randomly generate kernel panics on boot

I rather play it safe and re-plug the headphone any time I want sound :P.

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/Audio/VerbStub_knnspeed

but no support from my side.

PS: 10.12.6 has been tested and works well without any modification!

I updated to 10.12.6 and configs from your repository at the same time and now every time I plugin the external monitor the machine crash. I already to the AppleGraphicsPolicy trick. How to troubleshoot the problem?

I updated to 10.12.6 and configs from your repository at the same time and now every time I plugin the external monitor the machine crash. I already to the AppleGraphicsPolicy trick. How to troubleshoot the problem?

please explain the Crash. Screenshot available?

> please explain the Crash. Screenshot available?

It just reboot immediately to the Clover booting screen. I got it working now by deleting all the CLOVER folder and start over. Maybe I did something wrong when updating.

> This has a dependency on Lilu.kext, which is known to randomly generate kernel panics on boot

Turn out I have this kext enableds the whole time: https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/UHD-Kexts. I did not see any kernel panic so I might try it this weekend.

More update, now my machine can't wake up after sleep anymore. The keyboard is lit up but the monitor displays nothing. Not sure if related but if I force reboot by pressing the power button, sometimes it hangs for few seconds at gIOScreenLockState something message.

@Gymnae

If you can describe step-by-step how to reproduce your issues with Final Cut Pro (never used it before, so really detailed instructions will be appreciated) - i can try on my laptop. I have a little bit different setup than on wmchris repo - so it may be interesting to check if it will also crash.

Gladly - and for now I still strongly assume it's something with my iGPU:

1. Use the latest FCP X - it's 10.3.4 as of this writing.  Start a project on your local SSD or USB disk, it doesn't matter

2. Import any 2k or 4k content - I can provide some 4k mavic pro drone footage I shot

3. Add any effect, because this triggers GPU usage: Like loading of LUT plugin to load in LUTs, for example mLUT OR add any other effects

4. If using a LUT plugin, load any LUT through the plugin and apply it to the 8bit footage you are editing, for example this one

5. Work for a while in FCP X - export and work

6. At a random moment it'll reboot to the Dell logo with reset of brightness - no crash log in console

Why do I assume it's the iGPU? I do get artifacts when playing Command & Conquer 3 with FullHD resolution, something that looks like an overclocked GPU or when it's getting too hot. I cannot get temp readings of the iGPU itself, but the temps of the CPU die are fine, during gaming and rendering. I ran a bunch of OpenCL, metal and GPU benchmarks without any problem both in Windows and MacOS

I checked the VRAM usage with iStat Menu and it reaches 100% when rendering FCPX content with effects applied. I also did an extensive RAM check and it passed. The hardware seems fine!

EDIT:

1. Found out any effect can trigger the crash, edited the text accordingly
  2. Hardware diagnosis could not find any hardware error

I can't boot anymore after the 10.12.6 update. As far as I can see everything is fine, but it won't boot. You can see the log file in the attached picture. I hope links are fine, here is a link to the picture because the uploaded one on the site is hardly readable. http://imgur.com/a/nuMfV

You probably need IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

there were some Intel graphics changes on the recently sierra updates.

Just add this two kexts to your /kext/Other clover folder:

https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases/download/1.1.5/1.1.5.RELEASE.zip

https://sourceforge.net/projects/intelgraphicsfixup/files/Release/IntelGraphicsFixup_1.1.5.kext.zip/download

And see if this solve the boot problem.

You probably need IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

there were some Intel graphics changes on the recently sierra updates.

Just add this two kexts to your /kext/Other clover folder:

https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases/download/1.1.5/1.1.5.RELEASE.zip

https://sourceforge.net/projects/intelgraphicsfixup/files/Release/IntelGraphicsFixup_1.1.5.kext.zip/download

And see if this solve the boot problem.

Ok thanks, I will try it and report back. 

Due you are talking about iGPU I have a question:

There is no way to make the nvidia 960m work on the latest update, isn't it?

Currently no, our laptop use Optimus, and there is no built-in support for it on macOS, we would need something like FakeSMC.kext, but for the Optimus, which is reasonably hard to make, and probably a custom driver to enable it, and as far as I know no one is working on this.