[GUIDE] Lenovo T460/T470 macOS with Clover and OpenCore

tluck

1,289 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

The instructions on creating a bootable Clover key are confusing me

I've successfully copied the Catalina installer on the USB drive, then what ? I've tried the following:

- Simply copying the default EFI folder (found in the archive) to the USB

- Clover installer in the Utilities folder

- Clover installer and overwriting existing files written on the USB with those from the EFI folder from the archive

I know it won't be that easy, of course, but the fact litteraly nothing is happening on the screen, not even an error message is very not cool (except the "ThinkVantage Active Protection sensor diagnostics start" which shows up for litteraly 1/10th of a second, had to record it with my phone to be able to read it)

What do you guys suggest ?

I have a T460, 6300U with Intel Wifi (broadcom chip on the way) and no touchscreen

Thanks

1 hour ago, IDON-NO said:

@vxchfr

Mount USB EFI partition and remove anything inside it then place EFI folder inside this partition and reboot PC from the USB drive . Then go with installation process

Easy !

Thanks for the help

I tried to mount using Terminal and get the following when runnning the command

mount_msdos: /dev/disk0s1: Resource busy

mount: /Volumes/EFI failed with 71

Also I don't get what the difference is between simply modifying the EFI folder that has been written to the USB (which is already mounted) and mounting only the EFI folder and editing it

Edited by vxchfr

50 minutes ago, IDON-NO said:

Use Hakintool.app or Clover Configurtor to mount your usb drive .

@vxchfr 

Please follow any tutorial in YouTube  about Hackintosh USB . It's so simple 

Give yourself little time to learn about Hackintosh installation and configuration 

Usb was MBR and not GPT, I feel dumb now

On 4/23/2020 at 4:21 PM, MSzturc said:

@junaed.rx and @simprecicchiani :

I saw that you are using my Keyboard mapping already. I would be happy if you could beta test it

Hey, I tried the app and SSDT, it works perfectly!

I hadn't been around recently and I didn't notice your EFI. Damn, those SSDT's are much more polished than mine, I used them on my T460s and the system boots up without any error. I've just a few questions:

-where is the config for VoodooPS2 trackpad?

-how did you managed to build the XCHI SSDT?

2 hours ago, simprecicchiani said:

I hadn't been around recently and I didn't notice your EFI. Damn, those SSDT's are much more polished than mine, I used them on my T460s and the system boots up without any error. I've just a few questions:

Good to hear. Most of the credits for my EFI go to @junaed.rx I took his EFI as base and cleaned up unneeded fixes / kext's. I've added the mapping replaced fakesmc with virtualsmc. The result is an EFI that installs and runs Catalina without any problems. The config for VoodooPS2 is not longer needed. @tluck Pull Request was accepted and it's now part of VoodooPS2Trackpad (see here)

Edited by MSzturc

5 hours ago, simprecicchiani said:

Hi @simprecicchiani,

FYI, I used this guid for usb map: Native usb fix without injector or kext

best wishes,

Junaed

On 4/23/2020 at 7:56 PM, aholst048 said:

Attempting to utilize this for getting Catalina on my X270 (similar hardware-wise to the T470/470S family). I get "an error occurred while verifying firmware" at the end of the installation process. Utilizing OpenCore (did lazily hijack kolodzieski's EFI folder, but any issues from their T470 to my X270 wouldn't be this verifying firmware problem)

I would use my latest zip file I posted here. My previous one with a patched DSDT.aml would most likely fail on any machine but mine. The latest is a hotpatch only version which I am guessing will boot right up. 

17 hours ago, MSzturc said:

Good to hear. Most of the credits for my EFI go to @junaed.rx I took his EFI as base and cleaned up unneeded fixes / kext's. I've added the mapping replaced fakesmc with virtualsmc. The result is an EFI that installs and runs Catalina without any problems. The config for VoodooPS2 is not longer needed. @tluck Pull Request was accepted and it's now part of VoodooPS2Trackpad (see here)

14 hours ago, junaed.rx said:

Hi @simprecicchiani,

FYI, I used this guid for usb map: Native usb fix without injector or kext

best wishes,

Junaed

Nice, thanks for the awesome work!

2 minutes ago, MSzturc said:

@junaed.rx

Is there a reason why you set SyncRuntimePermissions to false and ThirdPartyDrives to true?

Hi @MSzturc,

My understanding is quriks are supposed to be false until they nedded to function properly and ThirdPartyDrives are required for non apple SSD trim support.

Either this quirk or kext pathes required to activate trim on my Gigabyte SSD.

21 hours ago, junaed.rx said:

Hi @MSzturc,

My understanding is quriks are supposed to be false until they nedded to function properly and ThirdPartyDrives are required for non apple SSD trim support.

Either this quirk or kext pathes required to activate trim on my Gigabyte SSD.

Thx for the fast response. I asked because I used oc sanity checker to verify the config and it said that 

"SyncRuntimePermissions = No but should normally be Yes" but im not sure why it should be set, since it's false in the sample config as well.  I guess it's a bug in the checker. 

@junaed.rx

I saw that you are playing with the nightly of the sinetek-rtsx. 2.2 is the first version for me that runs stable but a bit slow. I benchmarked the driver. It took 8-9 min for a 2gb flat file. How is your performance? Currently im trying to tweak the performance, by using other compiler options.

Edited by MSzturc

5 hours ago, MSzturc said:

Thx for the fast response. I asked because I used oc sanity checker to verify the config and it said that 

"SyncRuntimePermissions = No but should normally be Yes" but im not sure why it should be set, since it's false in the sample config as well.  I guess it's a bug in the checker. 

Hi @MSzturc

I think it's not a bug of this tool act for common system... may be most system need it enabled but t460 doesn't need it.

5 hours ago, MSzturc said:

@junaed.rx

I saw that you are playing with the nightly of the sinetek-rtsx. 2.2 is the first version for me that runs stable but a bit slow. I benchmarked the driver. It took 8-9 min for a 2gb flat file. How is your performance? Currently im trying to tweak the performance, by using other compiler options.

Slow speed is expected as the developer said he didn't implement something yet which is required for high speed, so the speed is capped at 5 mb/s for now. He is working on stabilizing the kext first. You can follow this thread to know development progress.. 

50 minutes ago, junaed.rx said:

Hi @MSzturc

I think it's not a bug of this tool act for common system... may be most system need it enabled but t460 doesn't need it.

Slow speed is expected as the developer said he didn't implement something yet which is required for high speed, so the speed is capped at 5 mb/s for now. He is working on stabilizing the kext first. You can follow this thread to know development progress.. 

@junaed.rx@MSzturc

ADMA is one of the keys to have a better and faster throughput.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:45 AM, kolodzieski said:

I would use my latest zip file I posted here. My previous one with a patched DSDT.aml would most likely fail on any machine but mine. The latest is a hotpatch only version which I am guessing will boot right up. 

Thank you @kolodzieski and others who have contributed. I used your T470 EFI more or less untouched and find it works very well. My T470 is a Kaby Lake (7300U with HD 620) and I find the SD card reader works natively, no kexts required. 

One question for you. I use a USB-C dock with my T470. It works well when plugged in before booting (USB ports, USB-C and HDMI audio, Display Port all working). However, if I hot plug a USB-C device (this dock or anything else) after boot then nothing happens. In the case of the dock, Display Port and HDMI audio continue to work but the dock's USB ports and USB audio are not available. Did you try on yours? Any idea what can be done to fix this last remaining problem? The dock appears to be attached to RP09 when it works.

Also, I get some screen blinking on boot. Not a major problem but it would be nice to solve that too. Do you have any idea where I should look to resolve that?

Edited by wriggles

11 hours ago, wriggles said:

Thank you @kolodzieski and others who have contributed. I used your T470 EFI more or less untouched and find it works very well. My T470 is a Kaby Lake (7300U with HD 620) and I find the SD card reader works natively, no kexts required. 

One question for you. I use a USB-C dock with my T470. It works well when plugged in before booting (USB ports, USB-C and HDMI audio, Display Port all working). However, if I hot plug a USB-C device (this dock or anything else) after boot then nothing happens. In the case of the dock, Display Port and HDMI audio continue to work but the dock's USB ports and USB audio are not available. Did you try on yours? Any idea what can be done to fix this last remaining problem? The dock appears to be attached to RP09 when it works.

Also, I get some screen blinking on boot. Not a major problem but it would be nice to solve that too. Do you have any idea where I should look to resolve that?

Hi @wriggles Thanks; glad it works for you. I use my SD card reader all the time. I only use the  usb-c/thunderbold port for charging. Several years ago while still on clover, I did notice that the usb-c was not hotplug, but only got picked up is the device was initially plugged in. I am not sure what to do about that. I do believe there has been some work on hot pluging. I would search around for that. 

The graphics glitch on booting. Are you talking about when the Apple is on the screen and the progress bars progesses aacross the screen. I have seen a flicker when it around 1/2 way across, and just thought that ws from initialization of certain graphical components in MacOS. Do any of the t460 folks get a instantaneous glitch when the progress bar is moving across the screen?

10 hours ago, kolodzieski said:

Hi @wriggles Thanks; glad it works for you. I use my SD card reader all the time. I only use the  usb-c/thunderbold port for charging. Several years ago while still on clover, I did notice that the usb-c was not hotplug, but only got picked up is the device was initially plugged in. I am not sure what to do about that. I do believe there has been some work on hot pluging. I would search around for that. 

The graphics glitch on booting. Are you talking about when the Apple is on the screen and the progress bars progesses aacross the screen. I have seen a flicker when it around 1/2 way across, and just thought that ws from initialization of certain graphical components in MacOS. Do any of the t460 folks get a instantaneous glitch when the progress bar is moving across the screen?

I was poking around, and sometimes, it seems that is you disable thunderbolt 3 in bios, but leave usb-c enabled, then hotplug might work. Why don;t you give it a try. 

16 minutes ago, carlinyos said:

@MSzturc there's also a new VoddooPS2, if you want to include that in the realease...

ohh yeah, thx.

Kext Updater didnt noticed the change since i was using already a nightly of it. I updated the repo

• Thanks 1

@MSzturc there are some missing keys from the new update:

Config.plist -> ACPI -> Quirks - Missing Key: EnableForAll
Config.plist -> Booter -> Quirks - Missing Key: EnableForAll
Config.plist -> Misc -> Boot - Missing Key: SkipCustomEntryCheck
Config.plist -> Misc -> Security - Missing Key: BootProtect
Config.plist -> NVRAM -> Add - Missing Key: 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102
Config.plist -> NVRAM -> Block - Missing Key: 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102

(I compared the Config.plist with the ndk fork's Sample.plist and excluded the "missing" DeviceProperties.)
Though they're disabled or dummies, so probably not an issue atm and I don't know if it was intentional, since the UEFI -> APFS part isn't missing. 
Also APFS driver is now integrated into OpenCore, so it's not neccessary to use ApfsDriverLoader.efi anymore.
For using the integrated driver you need to change:

Config.plist -> UEFI -> APFS -> EnableJumpstart - Change from False to True
Config.plist -> UEFI -> APFS -> HideVerbose - Change from False to True (optional)
Config.plist -> UEFI -> Drivers -> 1 (ApfsDriverLoader.efi) - Remove

I was able to boot up my T460 with the integrated APFS driver (and with FileVault).

P.S.: The new VoodooPS2 seems to be broken for me, the multitouch and acceleration detection isn't working properly and it's prone to break down.
Dragging a window causing serious lag. I am the only one, who experiencing this?
After reverting to the old version (aka release one), it's working properly.

Edited by Rogerius
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rogerius said:

@MSzturc there are some missing keys from the new update:

Config.plist -> ACPI -> Quirks - Missing Key: EnableForAll
Config.plist -> Booter -> Quirks - Missing Key: EnableForAll
Config.plist -> Misc -> Boot - Missing Key: SkipCustomEntryCheck
Config.plist -> Misc -> Security - Missing Key: BootProtect
Config.plist -> NVRAM -> Add - Missing Key: 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102
Config.plist -> NVRAM -> Block - Missing Key: 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102

(I compared the Config.plist with the ndk fork's Sample.plist and excluded the "missing" DeviceProperties.)
Though they're disabled or dummies, so probably not an issue atm and I don't know if it was intentional, since the UEFI -> APFS part isn't missing. 
Also APFS driver is now integrated into OpenCore, so it's not neccessary to use ApfsDriverLoader.efi anymore.
For using the integrated driver you need to change:

Config.plist -> UEFI -> APFS -> EnableJumpstart - Change from False to True
Config.plist -> UEFI -> APFS -> HideVerbose - Change from False to True (optional)
Config.plist -> UEFI -> Drivers -> 1 (ApfsDriverLoader.efi) - Remove

I was able to boot up my T460 with the integrated APFS driver (and with FileVault).

P.S.: The new VoodooPS2 seems to be broken for me, the multitouch and acceleration detection isn't working properly and it's prone to break down.
Dragging a window causing serious lag. I am the only one, who experiencing this?
After reverting to the old version (aka release one), it's working properly.

I've noticed the same issues with the new VoodooPS2 and was not able to fix them. I've reverted to 2.1.4 nightly, not sure why this happens

I've changed to the integrated APFS Driver as well, everything is running smoothly

I've also added the missing n-d-k properties to the config.plist as well. 

2 hours ago, Rogerius said:

Config.plist -> NVRAM -> Add - Missing Key: 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 Config.plist -> NVRAM -> Block - Missing Key: 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102

Do you know what this entries are doing? I've read something about rtc-blacklist but im not sure what it does and if it's needed for a skylake based build.

10 minutes ago, MSzturc said:

Do you know what this entries are doing? I've read something about rtc-blacklist but im not sure what it does and if it's needed for a skylake based build.

Sadly I don't know. 
There are no mentions about this value (4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102) in any chipsets guide.
The documentation only mentions that is the "OC_VENDOR_VARIABLE_GUID", but doesn't mention anything about what it is about or what it does.

Edited by Rogerius