[GUIDE] Lenovo T460/T470 macOS with Clover and OpenCore

tluck

1,289 posts in this topic

@MSzturc hey OC folks - a user posted this item on the githib rep as an issue https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T460-Clover/issues/31

----

I can't get it to boot using OpenCore 0.5.8 and a recovery image of 10.15.4 (also tried 10.15.3) that I got with gibMacOS script. I tried a lot of combinations (like using different usb drives, modifying config.plist, etc) but none of them worked.
I have the i5 6300U thinkpad, 1080p, 16GB of RAM and a SIM slot, if any of that matters.

Any idea of what could be wrong?

Here's a log, I don't think it'll be of any use though, as it doesn't hang on OpenCore.
opencore-2020-05-05-154040.txt
It hangs on the kernel bootup phase, I haven't found a nice way of getting logs out of the kernel so I uploaded a video you can see here: https://streamable.com/ez6gqm

Cheers.

----

happy to post an answer to this question

Hi All,

I have made the jump from Clover to OC as well using the files @MSzturc provided and the system is stable running 10.15.4 Supplemental Update.

For some reasons though only one out of the two 8GB ram chips is recognized.

I am at a loss on how to solve this, can someone point me in the right direction?

Attached is the boot logfile.

T460 i5-6300U HD520 1920x1080

opencore-2020-05-05-171517.txt

On 5/3/2020 at 11:40 PM, kolodzieski said:

I was poking around, and sometimes, it seems that is you disable thunderbolt 3 in bios, but leave usb-c enabled, then hotplug might work. Why don;t you give it a try. 

Hi again,

Seems that disabling TB3 in BIOS turns that port off altogether, unfortunately.

Hi guys,

Have a T460 i5 6300u laptop that it's attached to a Ultra Dock 40A2 (the dock has the latest firmware) and everything is working, but attaching multiple displays seems to be tricky here. So, If I plug a monitor in the HDMI port, it would work just fine, but if I add a DVI display to the dock, the HDMI wouldn't be recognized anymore in OS, but strangely it just mirrors the the DVI Signal over to the HDMI (but as I said, HDMI monitor not recognized) . Same thing happens when you plug in a VGA, but this time VGA is mirrored

As it is a Skylake-Based laptop, I thought patching the Framebuffer Connectors (cons) would work, but that is tricky as every monitor I plug is recognized as just one. So, with any configuration I tried, I only see the internal eDP screen and one external screen (most often the one with the lowest resolution, but can't relate that). Also tried getting the Bus IDs from the Linux Intel Framebuffer driver (they might be wrong since BSD!=Linux HW ids) but it just remains the same or just KPs and I have to start over...

I ran out of ideas, that's why I came here to ask for help.

I'm ready to test everything you recommend.

Also would love to contribute regarding to this issue to the github repo.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Also, did not test the DisplayPorts

(The port config is as I pictured it into the attachments)

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 6.06.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 6.07.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 6.07.45 PM.png

IMG_20200507_180855.jpg

IMG_20200507_180942.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kolodzieski said:

Hi @MSzturc, I see you have a SSDT-SMCD for fan. I am trying to adopt this to the t470. What do you use to display fan speed? 

Thanks!

Ohh that's a relict from the past where i played with fakesmc which has the ability to print fan rpm values in the gui. Since im

switched to virtualsmc which in my opinion is much more stable and less hardware consuming, i dont use it anymore. Virtualsmc uses the native HWInfo interface a MacOS has and in that Interface there is no port for fan speed.

17 hours ago, carlinyos said:

@MSzturc It appears the same led bug behaviour (that happened wit the the mic toggle led) when muting the volume. Is there anyway to fix this? Also, when lowering the volume is at its minimum, the led on the volume should toggle aswell.

Well it's not a bug, it's a flaw by design. To synchronize both LED's we would have to write an Kernel extension that listens to the Audio Driver and activates / deactivates the LED based on the state of the audio device. 

@tuddyftw

I have the same problem, if you find a solution, let me know. Also I can't get 4k output via DP on dock (or miniDP on the laptop). An Apple logo when booting displays in good resolution, but later I can't get in on desktop — the best available is 2560x1440.

1 hour ago, adaml75 said:

@tuddyftw

I have the same problem, if you find a solution, let me know. Also I can't get 4k output via DP on dock (or miniDP on the laptop). An Apple logo when booting displays in good resolution, but later I can't get in on desktop — the best available is 2560x1440.

same...

On 5/7/2020 at 8:13 AM, tuddyftw said:

Hi guys,

Have a T460 i5 6300u laptop that it's attached to a Ultra Dock 40A2 (the dock has the latest firmware) and everything is working, but attaching multiple displays seems to be tricky here. So, If I plug a monitor in the HDMI port, it would work just fine, but if I add a DVI display to the dock, the HDMI wouldn't be recognized anymore in OS, but strangely it just mirrors the the DVI Signal over to the HDMI (but as I said, HDMI monitor not recognized) . Same thing happens when you plug in a VGA, but this time VGA is mirrored

As it is a Skylake-Based laptop, I thought patching the Framebuffer Connectors (cons) would work, but that is tricky as every monitor I plug is recognized as just one. So, with any configuration I tried, I only see the internal eDP screen and one external screen (most often the one with the lowest resolution, but can't relate that). Also tried getting the Bus IDs from the Linux Intel Framebuffer driver (they might be wrong since BSD!=Linux HW ids) but it just remains the same or just KPs and I have to start over...

I ran out of ideas, that's why I came here to ask for help.

I'm ready to test everything you recommend.

Also would love to contribute regarding to this issue to the github repo.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Also, did not test the DisplayPorts

(The port config is as I pictured it into the attachments)

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 6.07.45 PM.png

i used connect to dock with my T460 but i dont recall if ever tried more than 1 external display. any

According to this https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd029622#Pro%20Dock

with A2 dock - its seem you can get up to 3 display working which i am pretty sure iincludes the LCD. 

so you should be able to do

LCD

DP on t460

dock/DP-HDMI

OR

LCD

dock/DP-HDMI

dock/DP-DVI 

as 3 seperate channels. 

but i dont know if macOS can swith the DP on board to the dock?

the hackintool shows dummy for port4 - did you make it DP on dock?

9 minutes ago, Mat said:

Thank you. Is your build plug and play ? Or do we have to make some extractions ? (there is no guide for open core)

It patches your DSDT on the fly so it should be running out of the box with the same hardware

• Like 1

IMP, should your build work on a T470s? What should I look out for to change from the T460 to the T470?

On my T470s my specs are that I am presently running latest Clover and kexts with Mojave 10.14.6 as a MacBookPro 14,1. My hardware is a Core i5 7300U, 2.71GHz with 8GB Ram, HD620 Graphics and a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD. Two internal batteries with not many cycles. I have the exact same laptop for my work, but running Win10 as issued to me by my company. I do like the Lenovo ThinkPads. They are solid and no let me down in 10yrs. 

By going to OC, I would like to leave FAKESMC behind for VirtualSMC and get some better battery management. I am presently only getting only a few hours of battery on what would be a 6 to 8hr battery with Win10. 

So, should your build work on a T470s?

Thanks in Advance!

1 hour ago, jmj662 said:

IMP, should your build work on a T470s? What should I look out for to change from the T460 to the T470?

On my T470s my specs are that I am presently running latest Clover and kexts with Mojave 10.14.6 as a MacBookPro 14,1. My hardware is a Core i5 7300U, 2.71GHz with 8GB Ram, HD620 Graphics and a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD. Two internal batteries with not many cycles. I have the exact same laptop for my work, but running Win10 as issued to me by my company. I do like the Lenovo ThinkPads. They are solid and no let me down in 10yrs. 

By going to OC, I would like to leave FAKESMC behind for VirtualSMC and get some better battery management. I am presently only getting only a few hours of battery on what would be a 6 to 8hr battery with Win10. 

So, should your build work on a T470s?

Thanks in Advance!

Here is my latest EFI. I made a few changes since what I pushed to @tluck 's OC repo. I had to remove the contents of OC/Resources (the sound/graphics files for a graphical bootloader). I have been using this for a couple of weeks now with zero issues. Hopefully it should work fine on a t470s, you may have to fiddle with the battery if you do not have two batteries, and the USB config might be slightly different, but it should probably boot just fine. 

t470-EFI.zip

Edited by kolodzieski
  • Thanks 1

If I might ask, can you make a guess how long are you getting on a battery charge? (My T470s also has two batteries inside, I saw them when I upgraded the Wifi/BT card)

Getting my Lenovo docking port that I use for my work T470 PC to work on this HBook using OC would be very cool. Looking forward to trying to get it going. 

So, how long does your battery last?

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by jmj662

7 hours ago, jmj662 said:

If I might ask, can you make a guess how long are you getting on a battery charge? (My T470s also has two batteries inside, I saw them when I upgraded the Wifi/BT card)

Getting my Lenovo docking port that I use for my work T470 PC to work on this HBook using OC would be very cool. Looking forward to trying to get it going. 

So, how long does your battery last?

Thanks in Advance.

It depends, I would guess, 4-6 hours as long as I am not running anything that kicks the fans in full speed. I am not sure how good the batteries in my t470 are, this is what I see from power information: both batteries together come to 3.6Ah. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 10.01.18 AM.png

Thank you for your response.

That is two or three times longer  than my clover build. Someone on a different forum suggested They might attribute my battery’s drain to the lack of energy management of a non-Apple NVMe SSD. They suggested using a new NVMefix kext on Github they pointed me at.

https://github.com/acidanthera/NVMeFix

I have not tried it yet. I can’t tell you if it is only made for clover builds, but my guess would be yes. It is a kext use that I have not seen written about yet, but I certainly don’t read everything out there.

Edited by jmj662

IMP,

Can I further impose on you for a screenshot of your /L/E directory?
What is left in (can you please right click and turn on "version" in the finder name, date modified line) it after you cleaned the old Clover kext's out and rebuilt the cashe? Here is my L/E that I need to clean up before the jump to OC. 482211681_T470SLibraryExtensionscontents.thumb.png.c2557fc0ba11e07508e8667a8a514729.png

Here is my T470s clover EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other directory. I know the Clover directory gets replaced by your OC, but is the Apple directory still there too?

2093685763_T470SCloverKextsOthercontents.thumb.png.c15a3c3ea06bf89cfd7e68d034f298cb.png

So, what's left in your /L/E directory right now?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

From my experience VirtualSMC doesn't add that much to the battery life (if anything). The key is to configure properly CPUFriend kext and to make sure that X86platformplugin loads. I tested this on T460 with both FakeSMC and VirtualSMC builds. I get 4-5 hours of battery life from two 3600mAh batteries. EDIT: I mean two batteries with total capacity 3600mAh.

Edited by adaml75

From my experience VirtualSMC doesn't add that much to the battery life (if anything). The key is to configure properly CPUFriend kext and to make sure that X86platformplugin loads. I tested this on T460 with both FakeSMC and VirtualSMC builds. I get 4-5 hours of battery life from two 3600mAh batteries. EDIT: I mean two batteries with total capacity 3600mAh.
That sounds correct. I did not use CPUFriend, but just made sure that. SSDT-PLUG is correct and causes X86platformplugin to load.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk