[pre-releases] macOS Sierra

fantomas

724 posts in this topic

Thanks for your response but I'm not sure it really answers my question. I know you can run Sierra on a Mac Pro 3,1 - I've done it and written a guide as well on how to do it.

My question is more around are we, the hackintosh community who have largely been using the SMBIOS Mac Pro 3,1 profile going to have to change it going forward for Sierra or can we continue to happily run our Mac Pro 3,1 profiles?  As I say, I know initially we can get the initial Dev release running - but that doesn't answer the longer term. I wonder if people have a view on that?

MacPro3,1 never really made sense to begin with, especially for proper PM & hardware support (AirPlay mirroring/QuickSync). You want to use something that matches your hardware. For most desktops (with LGA115x - SNB/IVB/HSW/BDW/SKL) desktops, an iMac SMBIOS usually makes sense.

MacPro3,1 never really made sense to begin with, especially for proper PM & hardware support (AirPlay mirroring/QuickSync). You want to use something that matches your hardware. For most desktops (with LGA115x - SNB/IVB/HSW/BDW/SKL) desktops, an iMac SMBIOS usually makes sense.

Right. That makes sense.

Well, given I'm up and running using a Mac Pro 3,1 profile on El Capitan and everything works - and given that I used real ROM / MLB data from a Mac Pro 3,1 (I used a unique serial number and other data though - just used valid ROM / MLB data for iMessage) am I best to stick with that?  I don't have a ROM / MLB to use from an iMac, and nor do I feel inclined in changing it all and going through the trouble of getting it all working again if I don't have to.

I have everything running very smoothly with MacOS Sierra DP1 with the minor exception of keyboard assignment (which will likely get worked out eventually.  However, there is one thing that concerns me:  I get a KP with the AMDRadeonX4000.kext.  When I delete the kext from S/L/E, it boots just fine.  I think that the KP occurs after the point I would get to delete it if I booted with -S so it's not critical even when I install DP2 (assuming the same problem persists.)  The thing is, it makes no sense that the X4000 kext would cause a KP for me since I only have the Intel HD4000 GPU activated in the BIOS.  Is there a boot arg that might allow me to keep the X4000 kext in S/L/E without getting a KP?  Does anyone else (possibly on an HP laptop) have a similar problem?

Thanks for your response but I'm not sure it really answers my question. I know you can run Sierra on a Mac Pro 3,1 - I've done it and written a guide as well on how to do it.

My question is more around are we, the hackintosh community who have largely been using the SMBIOS Mac Pro 3,1 profile going to have to change it going forward for Sierra or can we continue to happily run our Mac Pro 3,1 profiles?  As I say, I know initially we can get the initial Dev release running - but that doesn't answer the longer term. I wonder if people have a view on that?

List of Macs Compatible with MacOS Sierra 10.12

According to Apple, the official compatible hardware list of Macs capable of running Mac OS Sierra 10.12 is as follows:

• MacBook Pro (2010 and later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 and later)
  • Mac Mini (2010 and later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 and later)
  • MacBook (Late 2009 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2009 and later)

This list of supported Macs is offered directly from Apple, shown during the MacOS Sierra debut presentation at WWDC 2016 conference.

is not supported, and as said by TheRacemaster you need to use a SMBIOS that matches your hardware.

but maybe you have an old computer(core 2 duo) and want to install it a you can use the old trick of change: /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupprt.plist 

adding to MacPro 3,1.

List of Macs Compatible with MacOS Sierra 10.12

According to Apple, the official compatible hardware list of Macs capable of running Mac OS Sierra 10.12 is as follows:

• MacBook Pro (2010 and later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 and later)
  • Mac Mini (2010 and later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 and later)
  • MacBook (Late 2009 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2009 and later)

This list of supported Macs is offered directly from Apple, shown during the MacOS Sierra debut presentation at WWDC 2016 conference.

is not supported, and as said by TheRacemaster you need to use a SMBIOS that matches your hardware.

but maybe you have an old computer(core 2 duo) and want to install it ai you can use the old trick of change: /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupprt.plist 

adding to MacPro 3,1.

So does that mean I need a valid ROM / MLB from an iMac from one of those listed above to get iMessage working?  I'm currently using a Mac Pro 3,1 profile with El Capitan and its working great with my ASUS Z97-PRO WIFI AC motherboard and i7 4Ghz CPU. In fact, I've had to do very little customisation to get it all working. That includes USB 3, audio, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth. 

I didn't have to buy a separate airport wifi card to get handoff, airdrop, and continuity working - it uses the native motherboard WIFI to do it.

So does that mean I need a valid ROM / MLB from an iMac from one of those listed above to get iMessage working?  I'm currently using a Mac Pro 3,1 profile with El Capitan and its working great with my ASUS Z97-PRO WIFI AC motherboard and i7 4Ghz CPU. In fact, I've had to do very little customisation to get it all working. That includes USB 3, audio, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth. 

I didn't have to buy a separate airport wifi card to get handoff, airdrop, and continuity working - it uses the native motherboard WIFI to do it.

No, i use a MacPro4,1 ROM/MLB without any issues i've never called Apple, right now MacPro6,1 before iMac10,1

So now I'm confused. You said you run now a Mac Pro 6,1 profile yet you are using ROM/MLB from a Mac Pro 4,1?

I thought the profile and the ROM/MLB had to match?

In my case they don't match and it works, valid MLB/ROM from MacPro4,1 @MacPro6,1 profile and before the same MLB/ROM on other hardware with iMac10,1 profile. So the same MLB/ROM on different hardware and different SMBIOS

In my case they don't match and it works, valid MLB/ROM from MacPro4,1 @MacPro6,1 profile and before the same MLB/ROM on other hardware with iMac10,1 profile. So the same MLB/ROM on different hardware and different SMBIOS

Ahh, OK, got it.

I guess I will change to the latest iMac smbios then. I have a i7 4ghz CPU and Asus z97 pro wifi ac motherboard.

BTW, I notice that documentation from 2014 says not to have the original machine logged into FaceTime / iMessage as the hackintosh sharing the MLB / ROM. However, I do exactly that and have no issues.

Thanks for your help too - I appreciate it.

You can't fake it. Your CPU needs to have SSE4 for Sierra to run. The best you can hope for is a custom kernel which will allow Sierra to run without SSE4, but that won't happen until after launch when the kernel sources are released.

The other option is to upgrade your CPU. Or just stay on Yosemite/El Capitan.

You can't fake it. Your CPU needs to have SSE4 for Sierra to run. The best you can hope for is a custom kernel which will allow Sierra to run without SSE4, but that won't happen until after launch when the kernel sources are released.

The other option is to upgrade your CPU. Or just stay on Yosemite/El Capitan.

Thank you.