AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,371 posts in this topic

Those 2 are using different algorithm. applealc needs applehda while voodoo does not. There must be "something" that triggers it when you install one of those mentioned.
VoodooHDA has no problem with power management

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

Oook. For anyone interested, looks like the sound after sleep problem is Layout ID dependent (not sure if that's intended, but the results are definitely different, depending on that).

ALC892 for MSi Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Layout ID 1 -> no sound after sleep with Internal Speakers/headphones. Line Outs work.

Layout ID 2 -> no sound after sleep with Internal Speakers/headphones. Line Outs don't work (probably intended).

Layout ID 28 -> sound after sleep works with Internal Speakers/headphones! Line Out option doesn't work (no sound).

Layout ID 31 -> sound after sleep works with Internal Speakers/headphones. Line Out option doesn't work (no sound).

Layout ID 92 -> sound after sleep works with Internal Speakers/headphones! Line Outs work, as well (not sure if there should be Line Outs for my motherboard...but there is sound....so maybe there are? No idea)

Layout IDs 3, 5 & 7 -> no sound whatsoever with Internal Speakers/headphones.

Layout IDs 3 & 7 -> sound only with Line Out.

Layout IDs 98 & 99 -> no output of any kind.

Also, with Layout ID 92, the sound is a bit distorted... Donno why.

Digital Out doesn't work. But that's definitely intended since my motherboard doesn't have a Digital Out port. Maybe it considers HDMI as Digital Out...?

I'm curious...can my actual configuration be added to AppleALC? Or...is it already there? Which files do I need for that? And how do I get them?

Update: linux dump attached (if it helps)

codec_dump_card1(ALC892).txt

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Oook. For anyone interested, looks like the sound after sleep problem is Layout ID dependent (not sure if that's intended, but the results are definitely different, depending on that).

ALC892

Layout ID 2 -> no sound after sleep with Internal Speakers/headphones. Line Outs don't work (probably intended).

Layout ID 28 -> sound after sleep works with Internal Speakers/headphones! Line Out option doesn't work (no sound).

Layout ID 92 -> sound after sleep works with Internal Speakers/headphones! Line Outs work, as well (not sure if there should be Line Outs for my motherboard...but there is sound....so maybe there are? No idea)

Digital Out doesn't work. But that's definitely intended since my motherboard doesn't have a Digital Out port. Maybe it considers HDMI as Digital Out...?

I'm curious...can my actual configuration be added to AppleALC? Or...is it already there? Which files do I need for that? And how do I get them?

Update: linux dump attached (if it helps)

codec_dump_card1(ALC892).txt

My mobo for Desktop have also ALC892. I use layout-id=1 for High Sierra and Mojave, with Unofficial AppleALC 1.3.0 and Lilu 1.2.5

Sound after screensaver and suspend activity, is OK. I don't use "sleep mode" But I try it now using sleep timer.app (and report)

Configuration can be added to AppleALC, with this guide: Here

EDIT: sound after "sleep timer" works with internal speakers

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

Hi,

1.3.0 build doesn't works for me last build from GitHub at 12/06 was working fine.

Some differences in info.plist... missing as.vit9696.AppleALCAudio don't know if it's a normal thing

Don't have time just now to provide any log.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

My mobo for Desktop have also ALC892. I use layout-id=1 for High Sierra and Mojave, with Unofficial AppleALC 1.3.0 and Lilu 1.2.5

Sound after screensaver and suspend activity, is OK. I don't use "sleep mode" But I try it now using sleep timer.app (and report)

Configuration can be added to AppleALC, with this guide: Here

Yeah, I know that guide... Problem is, it's not very clear to me. Where do I get the platforms.xml files...? How do I know if my layout is or isn't already added? Stuff like that... I don't know. I'd rather wait for someone who knows what he's doing to help me with this (again, if necessary).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yeah, I know that guide... Problem is, it's not very clear to me. Where do I get the platforms.xml files...? How do I know if my layout is or isn't already added? Stuff like that... I don't know. I'd rather wait for someone who knows what he's doing to help me with this (again, if necessary).

I don't know how to use this guide, too.

You can find codec/ layout-id supportedhere

For example, my codec ALC 892: 

0x100302, layout 1, 2, 3, (4 for laptop), 5, 7, 28, 31, 92, 98, 99

I'm lucky, I can use same layout-id in High Sierra and Mojave, without modifying anything in DSDT.

3 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

I don't know how to use this guide, too.

You can find codec/ layout-id supportedhere

For example, my codec ALC 892: 

0x100302, layout 1, 2, 3, (4 for laptop), 5, 7, 28, 31, 92, 98, 99

I'm lucky, I can use same layout-id in High Sierra and Mojave, without modifying anything in DSDT.

Yes, yes, I know that... If you take a look above, in my previous post, that's exactly what I tried. With different results, as you could see.

And yes, of course you don't need to add anything if you use the same config for both HS and Mojave.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 8:48 PM, pepito1 said:

Just tried layouts 13 and 28, same result. As for the CPU temp, I have a i5-8250U, and the temperature is around 50º right now. The fan kicks in frequently, though.

EDIT: SOLVED, forgot I had injected the layout-id through DSDT. Changed it to 28, just like in config.plist, and now everything works as it should.

Hello? Would you mind to provide your files to help me out?

Thanks

• Like 1

I am sure I have my cpu power management working without applealc and correct inject id installed. So if you're saying about my cpu power management then that's not the case here

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

I do not know if you really want to solve your problem!
You’re saying powermanagement is working without applealc, and in the previous post you’re saying not working with and without applealc.
Are you sure that you know what’s your problem?

Then if your CPU is always at higher frequency, what does it mean?
What really AppleALC will do for your CPU?
And why other users doesn’t have same problem as you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

1.3.0 build doesn't works for me last build from GitHub at 12/06 was working fine.
Some differences in info.plist... missing as.vit9696.AppleALCAudio don't know if it's a normal thing
Don't have time just now to provide any log.

Fred
For me too, latest github lilu+applealc doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, WinstonAce said:

For me too, latest github lilu+applealc doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just found how to make work for me.

I had alc-layout-id in my dsdt

"layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x11, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }, 

"alc-layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x11, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }, 

layout-id maybe different from alc-layout-id.

I suppose that this injection is not necessary, maybe a bug does AppleALC need to be fixe ? 

Fred

Edited by FredWst
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Have you checked cpupm with AppleIntelInfo.kext?
Post the output.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Here I have attached the dat with AppleIntelInfo with and without AppleALC

Thanks.

AppleALC PM.zip

30 minutes ago, ammoune78 said:

I do not know if you really want to solve your problem!
You’re saying powermanagement is working without applealc, and in the previous post you’re saying not working with and without applealc.
Are you sure that you know what’s your problem?

Then if your CPU is always at higher frequency, what does it mean?
What really AppleALC will do for your CPU?
And why other users doesn’t have same problem as you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I mislead most of the people here...

The issue is that when I have AppleALC and correct inject id (3, 13, 28 here) the CPU will stay constantly at 3.7GHz. I believe I have post a picture of my IntelPowerGadget in previous posts. Here I also uploaded AppleIntelInfo dat at the previous post.

Thanks

17 minutes ago, twsps said:

Here I have attached the dat with AppleIntelInfo with and without AppleALC

Thanks.

AppleALC PM.zip

I think I mislead most of the people here...

The issue is that when I have AppleALC and correct inject id (3, 13, 28 here) the CPU will stay constantly at 3.7GHz. I believe I have post a picture of my IntelPowerGadget in previous posts. Here I also uploaded AppleIntelInfo dat at the previous post.

Thanks

What the whole of kexts are you using, and why not moving kexts into Efi partition, are you using codeccommander in L\E? When using plugin type you need to drop Cpu0Ist from Drop Tables, and you may have to generate CPUStates and use -xcpm in boot-args.

Guys, so, after spending most of the day today trying to understand how to add a new layout to AppleALC (which now I have a better idea how to do, although there are still a TON of things I don't know), I was wondering if anyone here can tell me, for this motherboard layout, which Layout ID should I inject in config to have an accurate mapping of these ports? So far, none of them seem to fit the description.

And please, don't say 1 or 7, cause this motherboard doesn't have two Line Outs.

So, for Desktops, if I got this correctly, I have default options Layout ID 1 (for a motherboard with 6 audio ports like this one, but unlike the one probably added to Layout ID 1, I need one with only 1 Line Out), from Toleda's resources, or Layout ID 7 (6 ports: Grey, Black, Orange, Pink, Green, Blue), from Mirone's resources.

BUT, as I said, with Layout ID 7 I have no sound when using Internal Speakers. I do have sound when using Line Out, but it doesn't seem to be mapped correctly, cause I only have some channels active, but not all.

Now, if I got this correctly, in this particular case, the Line-Out port is the same as the Internal Speakers ports (the Green one)? Cause I'm confused.

Also, can anyone tell me if HDMI is supposed to show up as Digital Output? Or is it only for Optical ports? Cause, as you can see, there is no optical out on my motherboard.

I have a 5.1 sound audio system and using the Green, CS Out and RS Out ports on the motherboard for that (these are the ports corresponding to the audio jack colors coming from the speakers). Basically I just matched the color of the audio jack to the one of the ports on the motherboard. But only the front speakers work. Not sure what to do about that... Maybe there is nothing to do. I don't know. Maybe I need to create an Aggregate audio. But then I won't have volume control over all the speakers at once which seems like a big letdown on Apple's side. But it is what it is.

1551432671_Screenshot2018-07-07at22_59_00.thumb.png.870f4d1b75b5bfd4e310ab4af0036eb2.png

Edited by arsradu

Hi @arsradu,

I'll send 2 photos, of my sound output, and I have digital output, and you can see I have too one entry for HDMI...

Hope this helps, our motherboards are very similar...

I too have two Line out, digital out, and HDMI.

Captura de ecrã 2018-07-07, às 21.53.14.png

Captura de ecrã 2018-07-07, às 21.52.56.png

Captura de ecrã 2018-07-07, às 22.03.18.png

Edited by MorenoAv

6 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Hi @arsradu,

I'll send 2 photos, of my sound output, and I have digital output, and you can see I have too one entry for HDMI...

Hope this helps, our motherboards are very similar...

I too have two Line out, digital out, and HDMI.

Thank you! :)

So, this answers two questions:

1. HDMI IS separate (not the same thing as Digital Out, that seems to be used only for Optical Out)

2. my motherboard, as opposed to yours, doesn't/shouldn't have a Digital Out option since there is no Optical Out port.

This is your motherboard:

k is an Optical Out port (so it's perfectly normal for you to have Digital Out in options).

i is Orange (Center Speaker Out)

j is Black (Rear Speaker Out)

l is Blue (Line-In)

is Green (Line-Out)

n is Pink (Mic-In)

1061411532_Screenshot2018-07-08at00_02_50.png.8962484038ef880f197c42ec3a86fc9c.png

6 hours ago, ammoune78 said:

What the whole of kexts are you using, and why not moving kexts into Efi partition, are you using codeccommander in L\E? When using plugin type you need to drop Cpu0Ist from Drop Tables, and you may have to generate CPUStates and use -xcpm in boot-args.

Ok, I tried with moving AppleALC and Lilu into Clover/Other folder. When I use the correct id(13, 28 here) then it can boot but still the same issue. No codeccommander in /L/E. Attached with /L/E/ kexts and /Clover/Other kext. Note: I did try before with no kext (here I mean no kext besides AppleALC and Lilu) and DSDT/SSDT, but I still have the same issue.

Update: Without PluginType=True and the right id injection, it will cause kernel panic. Which means, it won't cause kp when its not selecting the correct inject id for ALC295.

For the reason why others won't have this issue, I believe this is specifically for my codec ALC295

Thanks 

Archive.zip

Edited by twsps
Update
  • Like 1

Can anybody confirms AppleALC works with Siri ,For me Mic works flawlessly with other apps like QuickTime media player but its not working with Siri, it doesn't recognise words I say .There is no account related error cause I can use typing instead .
In Sierra ,it was working fine but not here.
Alc255 ,layout id 17 (,other ids like 13 ,3 27 ,28,18 have no mic detection so I don't use them)
Dell Vostro 3546 i3-4400 integrated only graphics

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Genxster said:

Can anybody confirms AppleALC works with Siri ,For me Mic works flawlessly with other apps like QuickTime media player but its not working with Siri, it doesn't recognise words I say .There is no account related error cause I can use typing instead .
In Sierra ,it was working fine but not here.
Alc255 ,layout id 17 (,other ids like 13 ,3 27 ,28,18 have no mic detection so I don't use them)
Dell Vostro 3546 i3-4400 integrated only graphics

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Sorry I don't know for ALC255. AppleALC works well with Siri on High Sierra 10.13.5 (ALC892, layout-id=1)