AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,375 posts in this topic

Рatch HDAS -> HDEF is not required. AppleALC renames automatically, you will see HDEF in IOReg.

Devices/Audio/Inject = No (string).

FixHDA = NO

AddHDMI = NO

UseIntelHDMI = NO

AppleALC injects HDMI properties automatically.

It is necessary to set value layout-id in Devices-Properties or boot arguments.

hmm. good info. i will retest by removing my HDEF Method (_DSM)

the reason i mention it, as i had problems recently with my system with ALC889 on mojave beta - no devices would show up.  i needed to explicitly add the alc-layout-id property in the DSDT (HDEF), otherwise i got a message something like alc-layout is not passed or not found - nothing to do. and i was injecting 11 layout-id in Clover. 

to be fair, after I updated Lilu with most recent fixes last week, things started to work reliably - meaning got Line In/Lineout and HDMI devices so i called it a day! 

---

update - with latest lilu 1.2.7 - works without HDEF _DSM. cool.

Edited by tluck

Hi all, hoping for some help to get my 1150 working (and HDMI audio would be great as well!)

Here's all the info I can think of - please let me know if I've missed anything

1. Motherboard is an X99 Deluxe (ALC1150) with two EVGA Founders' Edition 1080ti cards
  2. Running 10.13.6 (17G65)
  3. AppleHDA is confirmed clean/vanilla
  4. Have tried clover fix FixHDA_8000->True
  5. Have tried all layout-ID's (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11)
  6. No other audio patches in config.plist, or VoodooHDA, AppleHDADisabler, or DummyHDA.kext either in S/L/E or Clover/kexts/other
  7. appleALC and Lilu are both loaded, according to kextstat. Lilu is 1.2.7 and appleALC is 1.3.1
  8. I've attached debug text (same as below) as well as codec info generated by Codec-Info.command
  9. I've also attached an ioreg (never done this before so let me know if I need to do that differently)
  10. Here's a zip of my EFI folder (I redacted the SMBIOS section of my config.plist; I'm running it as a MacPro6,1) https://www.dropbox.com/s/q26iqtejp41m1ur/EFI.zip?dl=0

I am getting these debug messages:

2018-09-06 08:55:52.044373-0700  localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Lilu Kernel Extension 1.2.6 (Lilu)

2018-09-06 09:11:54.006679-0700  localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for Lilu

2018-09-06 09:11:54.006681-0700  localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Lilu Kernel Extension 1.2.6 (Lilu)

2018-09-06 09:11:57.542278-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ alc-layout-id was not provided by controller at HDEF

2018-09-06 09:11:57.542314-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ alc-layout-id was not provided by controller at HDEF

2018-09-06 09:14:34.293761-0700  localhost kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel as.vit9696.Lilu triggered rebuild

2018-09-06 09:20:58.068698-0700  localhost kernel[0]: calling mpo_policy_init for Lilu

2018-09-06 09:20:58.068700-0700  localhost kernel[0]: Security policy loaded: Lilu Kernel Extension 1.2.6 (Lilu)

2018-09-06 09:21:01.285007-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ alc-layout-id was not provided by controller at HDEF

2018-09-06 09:21:01.285029-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ alc-layout-id was not provided by controller at HDEF

2018-09-06 09:21:01.285475-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) Lilu: patcher @ lookup patching applied only 0 patches out of 1

2018-09-06 13:18:12.098044-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ (DBG) failed to find a suitable codec, we have nothing to do

2018-09-06 13:18:12.098048-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ (DBG) handling 0 controller vendor 000010DE with 1 patches

2018-09-06 13:18:12.098051-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ (DBG) applying patches for 6 kext

2018-09-06 13:18:12.098054-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ (DBG) handling 1 controller vendor 000010DE with 1 patches

2018-09-06 13:18:12.098057-0700  localhost kernel[0]: (kernel) AppleALC:     alc @ (DBG) applying patches for 6 kext

codec-info.txt

debug.txt

MacPro.ioreg

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 9.32.07 AM.png

17 hours ago, Dr. Hurt said:

Also, not sure when this happened, but I no longer need CodecCommander!!

AppleALC version 1.2.6 was the first release that added support for EAPD wake verbs.

Each version after that has added support for more codec's .. I think it now pretty much supports most of them.

One less 3rd party kext to worry about for a lot of users, although it's still might be needed for others in some situations.

Cheers

Jay

Edited by jaymonkey

16 hours ago, Andrey1970 said:

It is necessary to set value layout-id in Devices-Properties or boot arguments.

Using Device-Properties to inject layout-id follows the same methodolgy required for WhatEverGreen .... so it is the preferred method

However AppleALC also supports the legacy method of setting layout-id using Device/Audio/Inject ...

You can see in the new style AppleALC debug log file that it will detect and use a legacy layout-id if it is not found as a device property against the HDEF PCI device path :-

AppleALC:   iokit @ (DBG) getOSData alc-layout-id was not found
AppleALC:   iokit @ (DBG) getOSData layout-id has 3 value
AppleALC:   audio @ (DBG) found legacy alc-layout-id (from layout-id) 3

In this instance you can see that AppleALC tried to first find layout-id via device properties, but when it was not found it then looked at the legacy value and found layout-id from Device/Audio/Inject

Vlt9696 confirmed this personally when i was working with him on Monday to solve the problem of AppleALC requiring manual injection of both layout-id and alc-layout-id on some systems.

That problem turned out to be an issue with lilu not parsing the device class-code correctly which is now fixed in Lilu version 1.2.7 

Either method of setting layout-id works  ....

I think Vit9696 kept support for the legacy method of setting layout-id to help new users coming to AppleALC ... all they need to do is remove their old AppleHDA patching method and install Lilu + AppleALC

Of course more advanced users who have already made the switch to using WhatEverGreen and are already using Device Properties can use the new method to set layout-id.

Cheers

Jay

On 9/3/2018 at 11:11 PM, jaymonkey said:

Hi insanelyDeepak,

I've just finished testing the version of AppleALC you made for the HP Spectre X360, ALC295 Codec using layout-id 13.

Test Results:-

Internal Speakers and Microphone are present in System Prefs --> Sound

Black Speaker Icon in Menu Bar

No Sound form Internal Speakers, even after a sleep/wake event thus forcing EAPD verbs to be refreshed ... I suspect that this is a EAPD issue

Internal Microphone Works ok

Headphones are detected when headset is plugged in but there is no sound from them.

External Microphone is not detected when headset is plugged in ... Internal Microphone still active and working.

Please advise if you need any more info ...

Cheers

Jay

Hi 

i need these files 
https://github.com/insanelydeepak/cloverHDA-for-Mac-OS-Sierra-10.12/blob/master/TroubleShoot/Troubleshoot Reporting.md

21 hours ago, insanelyDeepak said:

Hi IDpak,

Requested debug files attached ... i made two versions

One with working Audio (including HDMI Audio) but no external Mic using the current public release of AppleALC

One using your test Version of AppleALC using layout 13 .. which has No Audio Devices working

Cheers

Jay

Debug files for InsanleyDeepack.zip

Who can help me with my Clevo P950HR - ALC1220 codec? Currently this is already pushed into the repository with audio id 13, thanks to MacPeet :)

However, I still have problems with EAPD after waking up from sleep.

The headphones don't work anymore after sleep, speakers and mic are working though.

Megacookie.ioreg.zip

Edited by MegaCookie

18 hours ago, MegaCookie said:

Who can help me with my Clevo P950HR - ALC1220 codec? Currently this is already pushed into the repository with audio id 13, thanks to MacPeet :)

However, I still have problems with EAPD after waking up from sleep.

The headphones don't work anymore after sleep, speakers and mic are working though.

Megacookie.ioreg.zip

use codeccommander or port profile to AppleALC both should work use only one

Hey @insanelyDeepak

Thanks for taking the effort to release a patched HDA for ALC665 and making several people's task easier. 

However, I'm unable to enable the audio on my Sandy Bridge L502x XPS 15 laptop which uses ALC665. I've installed both latest Lilu and AppleALC in /L/E, put layout id as 13 under devices/audio. The audio id in system report/audio remains at 7 and layout id under HDEF in ioReg reflects it as 07 00 00 00, whatever layout I provide. 

Could you please help me? Thank you. 

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6.

ALC665 debug.zip

Lenovo Yoga 13 / QS77

CX20590

Layout 12

Audio working 100%

Mic works on Quicktime recorder, Audacity , Skype

Mic does not work in Chrome, Whatsapp Desktop, Google Hangouts (I guess all web based apps). It's a really low clicking noise

Anyone knows what could be the problem?

Edited by chimi

On 9/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, bloodyraven said:

Hey @insanelyDeepak

Thanks for taking the effort to release a patched HDA for ALC665 and making several people's task easier. 

However, I'm unable to enable the audio on my Sandy Bridge L502x XPS 15 laptop which uses ALC665. I've installed both latest Lilu and AppleALC in /L/E, put layout id as 13 under devices/audio. The audio id in system report/audio remains at 7 and layout id under HDEF in ioReg reflects it as 07 00 00 00, whatever layout I provide. 

ALC665 debug.zip

Try again with Lilu V 1.2.7 which was just released as a public binary :-

https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases

The previous few versions of Lilu had an issue which stopped Lilu from parsing the HDEF device's code-class correctly on some systems ...

Probably also worth updating AppleALC to 1.3.2 as it's usually built against the latest release of Lilu.

Cheeers

Jay

With AppleALC, headphone's detected, but not working properly (just heard some noises).

1. Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15-5567 (i3-7100U, HD 620)

2. Codec Name: Realtek ALC256 (3246)

3. Tried all the available layout ids available (11, 13, 28, 56). With all of them, only internal audio works, headphone's detected and I hear noises when playing an audio or video. With 11 and 13, audio ports are switched automatically (ie. when I insert a headphone, system will automatically switch to headphone port.)

4. Tried on 10.13.6 and 10.14 beta 11

5. View attachment (interestingly the layout-id is set to 7 there although FBPatcher detected 11)

Currently using no SSDT-ALC256.aml (tried it, didn't work either). Using absolutely no patches on Clover.

Codec dump, AppleALC log are also attached with the Info.plist.

Info.plist

AppleALC.log

audio_codec#0.txt

12 hours ago, Muntashir said:

With AppleALC, headphone's detected, but not working properly (just heard some noises).

1. Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15-5567 (i3-7100U, HD 620)

2. Codec Name: Realtek ALC256 (3246)

3. Tried all the available layout ids available (11, 13, 28, 56). With all of them, only internal audio works, headphone's detected and I hear noises when playing an audio or video. With 11 and 13, audio ports are switched automatically (ie. when I insert a headphone, system will automatically switch to headphone port.)

4. Tried on 10.13.6 and 10.14 beta 11

5. View attachment (interestingly the layout-id is set to 7 there although FBPatcher detected 11)

Currently using no SSDT-ALC256.aml (tried it, didn't work either). Using absolutely no patches on Clover.

Codec dump, AppleALC log are also attached with the Info.plist.

Info.plist

AppleALC.log

audio_codec#0.txt

Hi 

you must use below SSDT with layout 13 

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/src/cff89db6fba02b41a5edb043acba0e83d1de4a89/SSDT-ALC256-insanelydeepak.dsl?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

On 9/11/2018 at 2:27 AM, bloodyraven said:

Hey @insanelyDeepak

ALC665 debug.zip

use latest AppleALC as @jaymonkey said 
AppleALC changes itself alot you must use alc_layout instead layout_id in DSDT/SSDT like below 

"alc-layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x0D, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }, 

@jaymonkey sorry i was quite busy from last week , this week i have plenty of time, will try to fix your codec issue 

Edited by insanelyDeepak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, errorexists said:

currently i am using a layout id 1 with applealc v131 when i got to add the applealc 132 i lose sound on an asus z370-p Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC is there other layout that im unaware of image.thumb.png.c294f3e10c3fbdeee1ded1cd8ab182f6.png

Same here with same ALC887 and Lilu 1.2.7.

16 hours ago, insanelyDeepak said:

Thanks as always (y). I never knew you had an SSDT-ALC256 on CodecCommander!

22 hours ago, insanelyDeepak said:

Hi 

you must use below SSDT with layout 13 

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/src/cff89db6fba02b41a5edb043acba0e83d1de4a89/SSDT-ALC256-insanelydeepak.dsl?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

use latest AppleALC as @jaymonkey said 
AppleALC changes itself alot you must use alc_layout instead layout_id in DSDT/SSDT like below 

"alc-layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x0D, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }, 

Guys,

Manual injection of the alc-layout-id device property was only needed to workaround an issue with Lilu 1.2.6, on some systems Lilu would not parse the class-code of the HDEF device correctly which stopped it reading layout-id from the config data, this issue was fixed by Vit9696 two weeks ago and the fix is included in the new public release of Lilu version 1.2.7.

With Lilu Version 1.2.7 installed there should be no more need to inject alc-layout-id as a device property ....

You only need layout-id, you can use the traditional legacy method of setting the value in Clover/Device/Audio/Inject or your can set this to 'No' and define layout-id as a Device Property. AppleALC will then automatically create the new device property alc-layout-id which will inherit the value of layout-id (which you set on your config.plist) and layout-id will then be assigned a new target id (usually 7) which will be the layout in AppleHDA that will be patched by AppleALC. This method allows AppleALC to use unsupported layout-id values on Mojave .... Note: This is AppleALC new default patching scheme so  it will also do same on Sierra and High Sierra.

23 hours ago, insanelyDeepak said:

@jaymonkey sorry i was quite busy from last week , this week i have plenty of time, will try to fix your codec issue 

Hi DP,

No problem at all, appreciate you taking a look .....

Cheers

Jay

Acer Aspire E5-571G-50XE
ALC283
_____

Layout-id 1 - works only Headphones (very good), No Internal Sound, no mic.
Layout-id 3 - Internal Speaker - OK, Mic - OK, Headphones - cracking

Layout-id 11 - Internal Speaker - OK, Mic - OK, Headphones - cracking 

Layout-id 66 - Internal Speaker -OK, Headphones - cracking, no mic.

It's possible to fix it ?

Mic from id 1 + id 3 or something else...