[AMD] OS X El Capitan (10.11) Kernel Testing & Release (for help use the Help Topic)

spakk

1,255 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I've read so many articles my eyes are bleeding.

I've got a laptop already running Mavericks that I've used to create a USB install media disk for my AMD-based rig. I've used Enoch with El Capitan and an AMD-based kernel, placed in /System/Library/Kernels and also in the root of the drive, and I've set Chameleon to use this kernel.

However, when I boot, I get the two attached crash screens.

My hardware is as follows:
CPU: AMD FX-9370
GPU: GeForce GTX 780
MB: ASRock 990FX Killer

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

post-1654655-0-37762700-1453270000_thumb.jpg

post-1654655-0-43460400-1453270019_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone!

I've read so many articles my eyes are bleeding.

I've got a laptop already running Mavericks that I've used to create a USB install media disk for my AMD-based rig. I've used Enoch with El Capitan and an AMD-based kernel, placed in /System/Library/Kernels and also in the root of the drive, and I've set Chameleon to use this kernel.

However, when I boot, I get the two attached crash screens.

My hardware is as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-9370

GPU: GeForce GTX 780

MB: ASRock 990FX Killer

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

try npci=0x2000

Oh, wow! Thank you!

So is it as simple as replacing the kernel file on my installation USB? As long as it has the same filename it should be fine, right?

Also, can you tell me what the chameleon entry in the config plist would have to look like in order to force the use of the custom kernel?

I have it like this: 

<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>

Oh, wow! Thank you!

So is it as simple as replacing the kernel file on my installation USB? As long as it has the same filename it should be fine, right?

Also, can you tell me what the chameleon entry in the config plist would have to look like in order to force the use of the custom kernel?

I have it like this: 

<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>

UPDATE: I tried Bronya's AMD kernel instead of y2k4u's one, and used the boot flag npci=0x2000 like you said earlier and BOOM a new result! According to this, the system actually lived this time before it crashed. Progress!

post-1654655-0-17347000-1453281716_thumb.jpg

Hi, thanks for your post!

I did as you said, and I got the USB stop restart loop that I've seen others have. Any advice on fixing that?

1. Remove/Backup this kext from System/Library/Extensions - IOUSBHostFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kextIOUSBMAssStorageDriver.kext,IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

2. Add attached kext to System/Library/Extensions.

USB-Fix_for_El_Capitan_V2.zip

• Like 1

1. Remove/Backup this kext from System/Library/Extensions - IOUSBHostFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kextIOUSBMAssStorageDriver.kext,IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

2. Add attached kext to System/Library/Extensions.

Thank you! You're amazing!

...Just one more thing! My mouse won't work, but my keyboard does. How do I fix that?

Try another usb port, or use only keyboard. After installation usb works.

After installation add/replace kernel and kext to you system.

I tried using another mouse in another port and that didn't work either.

How can I open the Disk Utility without a mouse? It'll only let me go from Cancel or Continue with the keyboard.

I tried using another mouse in another port and that didn't work either.

How can I open the Disk Utility without a mouse? It'll only let me go from Cancel or Continue with the keyboard.

If you have work Os x system, you can format hdd partition in you work system. Then install El capi with keyboard.

If you have work Os x system, you can format hdd partition in you work system. Then install El capi with keyboard.

The only things I can toggle between are Back and Forward buttons. I got to the drive selection screen but couldn't select anything because all I could do was go between Back and Continue.

Is there anything I can do to the installer USB to make the mouse work? The mouse has power (it's light is on) but it won't work.

The only things I can toggle between are Back and Forward buttons. I got to the drive selection screen but couldn't select anything because all I could do was go between Back and Continue.

Is there anything I can do to the installer USB to make the mouse work? The mouse has power (it's light is on) but it won't work.

Use TAB button to switch "Continue" and select partition. Then "left, right" button to change partition.

• Like 1

Use TAB button to switch "Continue" and select partition. Then "left, right" button to change partition.

Alright so it seems that's my only option.

The trouble is, I was going to use the hard drive that my existing Mac OS X is on, so I have no way of formatting it correctly. 

Scratch that, I have found another hard drive to use, so I'll format it on this working hackintosh and try your advice.

Alright so it seems that's my only option.

The trouble is, I was going to use the hard drive that my existing Mac OS X is on, so I have no way of formatting it correctly. 

Scratch that, I have found another hard drive to use, so I'll format it on this working hackintosh and try your advice.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/521-usb-fix-for-el-capitan/

Basically, two USB ports should always be active and work, you have to find the active USB ports!

Unfortunately that USB-Fix didn't worked for me. I've created USB Installer with OS X 10.11.3 and clover bootloader 3332. First I've made backups for all needed kexts, then I've installed those only 3 drivers on S/L/E (IOUSBFamily.kext, IOUSBHostFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.). Also I've tried to replace the whole package, but even this didn't worked. Oh and after I've installed those kexts, I've entered those commands:

cd /Volumes/Installer
sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Is it correct? Because I thought that if you replacing kexts in USB installer, then you just can boot with -f flag, then just install os and then after installation just repair permissions and rebuild cache. So should I repair permissions and rebuild cache for USB Installer and am I correctly entered commands?

This is what I always get:

4ASli88.jpg?2

There are my DSDT, clover config file and IORegistryExplorer file, I hope It can help to solve the issue and perhaps to improve the USB-Fix:

upd. Or it's better to create small partition with OS X installer, and then try to install? 

upd2. Thankfully I was able to get to the installer and I can confirm, that USB-FIX by Spakk is working! I just tried this time to boot with Enoch r2795, and it's worked, but another problem occured - mouse and keyboard is not working... :D
These are my boot settings:

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
	<string>103</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>/Extra/kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v -f npci=0x3000</string>
	<key>USBLegacyOff</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

kernel.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>KernelBooter_kexts</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I think if I install ElCap with Enoch bootloader, then I just can repair permissions and rebuild cache, then Clover will boot Cap successfully! But first I need to figure out what to do with mouse and keyboard... Maybe like Spakk said - have to find the active USB ports...

Package.zip

Edited by ImmortalSoulL