[HOW TO] Fix second stage boot logo and loading bar for some dedicated desktop video cards

arsradu

391 posts in this topic

Hi, this is my first post in these forums and I just wanted to say, that I successfully managed to fix this problem on a gtx 660, following the guide from the first post. 

It's a pleasure for me to read your first post. 

If you don't mind, I will also add your card to the first post. And now I'm curious what's different between your card and telepati's. You both have GTX 660s.

That appear @Murat0zgul failed to use this merhod @arsradu & just use webdriver to show the apple logo :) Is Clover inject & boot-display didnt work for you (without efi strings)?

Yes, I didn't have the second stage boot logo without Clover inject of device-properties.

After buying my new monitor, I had to extract device-properties again for the new monitor (and port). So this is what I would recommend everyone after a hardware change.

It's a pleasure for me to read your first post. 

If you don't mind, I will also add your card to the first post. And now I'm curious what's different between your card and telepati's. You both have GTX 660s.

The exact model I'm using is GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 and my monitor is connected through DisplayPort. Everything was done on a fresh system, El Capitan 10.11.5, I followed the guide step by step and succeeded the first time. I can provide additional information if it helps. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Radu  :) 

Back again. Now trying to get the logo back on a GT740 - 2GB on my board.

Attaching here the grab from IOReg Explorer which indicates C@2 is the default display.

Also attaching the extracted device-properties xml. Please look at this since it is quite different from what you have in your first post here. Forgive me if I have forgotten that we went through this before.

Thanks

Archive.zip

Hi Radu  :)

Back again. Now trying to get the logo back on a GT740 - 2GB on my board.

Attaching here the grab from IOReg Explorer which indicates C@2 is the default display.

Also attaching the extracted device-properties xml. Please look at this since it is quite different from what you have in your first post here. Forgive me if I have forgotten that we went through this before.

Thanks

Hi William,

It's normal to be different since we're talking about totally different systems. :)

However, the part you add on top (the highlighted part in my example) should be the same.

Anyway, I edited your device-properites xml and attached it to this post.

All you need to add/replace (cause I can't possibly know that), is your rom-revision. It's only cosmetic, but if you want to have that, you're gonna have to find it yourself cause I can't possibly know it.

After that, of course, you'll need to write the changes onto the original hex file and extract the hex code, as described onto the first post.

Rename the file back to "device-properties" if you don't want to save the original file.

device-properties-edited.xml

Okay! This seems to have worked. Sort of. The loading bar on the left corner is now centred and that the apple logo accompanying it. This means your fix is working. Cheers!

There is a blanking gap between the first & second stage and this needs to be taken care of. This gap makes the second stage logo interval very short.

The IOGraphicsFamily patch does nothing here as it does with built-in video. But I really would not look too much into this now with Sierra just around the corner. Still would love to know your take on this.

Thanks.

Okay! This seems to have worked. Sort of. The loading bar on the left corner is now centred and that the apple logo accompanying it. This means your fix is working. Cheers!

There is a blanking gap between the first & second stage and this needs to be taken care of. This gap makes the second stage logo interval very short.

The IOGraphicsFamily patch does nothing here as it does with built-in video. But I really would not look too much into this now with Sierra just around the corner. Still would love to know your take on this.

Thanks.

I have that gap, too. And you might be surprised to know that even some iMacs (real ones, but older models) have this gap, as well. For now, I don't know how to fix it. Or whether or not it's intended...

I did not had to do nothing special with my build (Also for 10.12) the boot logo is fine from the beginning , using GTX 750Ti

Are you using Nvidia or default driver? Also, could you please, share your device-properties file?

Also, god damn that's a nice CPU!

• 1 month later...

Hello Radu

Went ahead with Sierra install on the Z170 system with GTX950. Good to see the second stage logo and bar without doing anything besides installing nvidia drivers. There is a 2 second blank gap between the 2 stages though but the smooth transition to a desktop is there too. And that too with automatic login! Quite pleasing overall.

• Like 1

Yeah, the auto login with second stage boot glitch from El capitan is fixed in Sierra.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello Radu

Went ahead with Sierra install on the Z170 system with GTX950. Good to see the second stage logo and bar without doing anything besides installing nvidia drivers. There is a 2 second blank gap between the 2 stages though but the smooth transition to a desktop is there too. And that too with automatic login! Quite pleasing overall.

This is great news! I haven't tried it yet. But I was thinking about it today. :)) And you guys just brought the answer.

Awesome! Thank you!

Edit: Just tested this, and it's definitely working. My second stage boot is a bit choppy though. Choppier than without the auto-login... Not sure why. Anyway, not important right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Clover 3786 changed EDID:

I think it was changed somewhere near 3737 rev.

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>EDID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Custom</key>
			<data>
			AP///////wAw5BYEAAAAAAAXAQSQIxN4ChXVnllQmCYOUFQAAAAB
			AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBGjaAoHA4H0AwIDUAWcIQAAAZAAAAAAAA
			AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/gBMRyBEaXNwbGF5CiAgAAAA/gBMUDE1
			NldGMS1UTEMyAGw=
			</data>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
			<key>d:ProductID</key>
			<string>0x9221</string>
			<key>d:VendorID</key>
			<string>0x1006</string>
		</dict>
        </dict>

But the old way is still valid.

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CustomEDID</key>
		<data>
		AP///////wAw5BYEAAAAAAAXAQSQIxN4ChXVnllQmCYOUFQAAAABAQEBAQEB
		AQEBAQEBAQEBGjaAoHA4H0AwIDUAWcIQAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
		AAAA/gBMRyBEaXNwbGF5CiAgAAAA/gBMUDE1NldGMS1UTEMyAGw=
		</data>
		<key>InjectEDID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

I think the vendor/product side of EDID injecting only works on laptops. I tried to make the external displays on my desktops into "Cinema HD" displays but it didn't work. But on my laptop it makes my internal display appear as a "Color LCD".

You can get the values from IOReg dumps of Macs with the appropriate displays attached.

I think the vendor/product side of EDID injecting only works on laptops. I tried to make the external displays on my desktops into "Cinema HD" displays but it didn't work. But on my laptop it makes my internal display appear as a "Color LCD".

You can get the values from IOReg dumps of Macs with the appropriate displays attached.

Thanks Riley. For some reason the information is not saved into the config. Might be a problem with Clover Configurator. I'll try doing it manually. However, one thing is not clear to me: do I need to add it as it appears in the ioreg (as netgear suggested above) or as hex...? Meaning convert that value from decimal to hex? Maybe that's why it's not saved...?

Any idea if that (the lack of inject EDID option in config) could cause the little "choppiness"/stuttering of the second stage loading bar? It used to be smoother. Not sure if it's because of the config/Clover or because of the update to Sierra.

Is that mandatory?

Look at post #343.

AFAIK, vendor/product id's are embedded into EDID itself. Not sure about the need of new injections.

EDIT:

....However, one thing is not clear to me: do I need to add it as it appears in the ioreg (as netgear suggested above) or as hex...? Meaning convert that value from decimal to hex? Maybe that's why it's not saved...?....

In ioreg it is shown in hex. In config.plist as base64.

Look at post #343.

AFAIK, vendor/product id's are embedded into EDID itself. Not sure about the need of new injections.

EDIT:

In ioreg it is shown in hex. In config.plist as base64.

Yeah, sorry, I meant ProductID and VendorID value, not the EDID itself. :) I saw that netgear added those values as hex.

Also, my display is properly recognized (or at least that's what it looks to me). So I'm not sure I need to inject anything in the first place. But I am looking for a way to fix that stuttering, if there is any way to fix that.

post-1303722-0-20716000-1475690198_thumb.png

With the new way I'm only injecting the IDs here. Previously I would have had to dump and edit my EDID to change the IDs.

Thanks Riley. For some reason the information is not saved into the config. Might be a problem with Clover Configurator. I'll try doing it manually. However, one thing is not clear to me: do I need to add it as it appears in the ioreg (as netgear suggested above) or as hex...? Meaning convert that value from decimal to hex? Maybe that's why it's not saved...?

Any idea if that (the lack of inject EDID option in config) could cause the little "choppiness"/stuttering of the second stage loading bar? It used to be smoother. Not sure if it's because of the config/Clover or because of the update to Sierra.

Clover Configurator might be out of date. I only use a plist editor for this stuff. You can enter the values as hex or decimal. Just check in the IOReg afterwards to ensure they're right. This is what I'm using for my laptop:

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>EDID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
			<key>ProductID</key>
			<string>0x9ca3</string>
			<key>VendorID</key>
			<string>0x1006</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>

I don't know if this EDID injection fixes anything to do with second-stage boot. I do it on my laptop to get better colour on my display as it now defaults to Color LCD.

Has anyone tried using Devices\AddProperties to inject AAPL,boot-display? I tried it a while back but it didn't inject. Maybe I did it wrong.

Seems a cleaner way than injecting the EFI string through Device\Properties.

• Like 1

With the new way I'm only injecting the IDs here. Previously I would have had to dump and edit my EDID to change the IDs.

Clover Configurator might be out of date. I only use a plist editor for this stuff. You can enter the values as hex or decimal. Just check in the IOReg afterwards to ensure they're right. This is what I'm using for my laptop:

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>EDID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
			<key>ProductID</key>
			<string>0x9ca3</string>
			<key>VendorID</key>
			<string>0x1006</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>

I don't know if this EDID injection fixes anything to do with second-stage boot. I do it on my laptop to get better colour on my display as it now defaults to Color LCD.

Has anyone tried using Devices\AddProperties to inject AAPL,boot-display? I tried it a while back but it didn't inject. Maybe I did it wrong.

Seems a cleaner way than injecting the EFI string through Device\Properties.

Well, the EDID is definitely properly recognized so no point to fiddle with injection. I've got color options and everything. So I think I'm gonna stick with that.

As for the Add Properties option, to be honest, I never tried it. And now I don't really need it, cause everything works OOB with the CSM disabled option in BIOS (UEFI boot).

But I could probably try it with CSM enabled?

However, I don't have all the information I need. What should be added under Device, for example? Also, does the rest of the information look right? How do you specify the port? Or should this be a universal fix, no matter which port you're using?

post-1303722-0-05372200-1475695822_thumb.png