[HOW TO] Fix second stage boot logo and loading bar for some dedicated desktop video cards

arsradu

391 posts in this topic

@Mirone - I will send all relevant files tomorrow.

@arsradu - the first major difference is you're not using nvidia drivers whereas I am. Even I get a full second stage without the drivers. I was going through the difference when I thought of trying your suggestion of minimal edit to the xml. I must have done something wrong. All I could see was the boot animation which refused to go away. I got stuck so bad that the installer usb did not help. I had to physically connect the ssd to another machine edit the config plist in that and then it worked. Lucky it was a Sunday. I would have been in a soup otherwise.

Anyways I got another ssd to which I will install a fresh 10.11.4 and continue tests & trials on that.

Hi William,

Sorry to hear about your issues. It reminds me of my first days as a hackintosh user. And man were those hard days. So yeah, I know what you're going through. You'll learn. There is no other way.

Did you try with a clean config? No DSDT edits in config, as I suggested, and also, clean the stuff you really don't need in boot? I believe it would be really good to start with a clean config. So that you have as little points of failure as possible. Otherwise, it's gonna be a game of mixing and matching to debug. Don't go that road. It's exhausting.

Without the Nvidia driver, you don't actually get the second stage boot. This is also why you don't have acceleration. The video card is not supported by Apple so...no default driver. I'm not sure there is a way to make that one work, as well (maybe with some Fake IDs or something similar, never tried it). But I don't think it makes any difference here.

Also, I'm trying Nvidia driver now. Just to see if it makes any difference whatsoever. In my previous tests, it didn't. But there is only one way to know for sure, right?

Update: WebDriver-346.03.06f01, same exact xml edits as with the default driver, no issues, all logos and loading bars in place.

And man were those hard days.

Yeeees, I remember too! :D

6 months for me to enable iGPU in my laptop, trying a kext in 128 one by one. Try a kext, repair permission and rebuild cache, reboot, (not working), delete, repair permission and rebuild cache again, Try another kext, etc. etc! :blowup:

• Like 1

Hard work - you say.

OS-X Tiger is when I started once I got my hands on intel 915 GAV. Did not realise almost 11 years have passed. But started working seriously on the platform after P35 chipset boards became available. EFI boot was considered the holy grail & now we also have OZMOSIS!

I very fondly remember the extensive help MasterChief lent to members especially on Native PM on P55 boards. There have been others whose help deserves equal appreciation.

Friends allow me the privilege to ask you all to join me in expressing our deepest sincerest gratitude to Insanelymac which has been a Temple of Wisdom and has always offered joyous rewards in the form of solved problems that brought happiness to our computing lives. I consider it  a rare opportunity to be a member here & I am extremely grateful to have all of you as friends.

Hope to keep up the good work.

Cheers!

:thumbsup_anim:

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, why so quiet?

I got news to share. First, when all else fails throw money at it! But seriously - Check out my sig - on with a new build. Burned a BIG hole in my pocket but the P55 needed to retire. The board was SATA2 USB 2 among other painful shortcomings. Now I intend to lead with a GT740 (Kepler) on the Z97 and onboard HD530 on the Z170. Just testing the waters with special note on the Boot-loader logo animation.

Do you think I should go with a new thread on the GA-Z170M-D3H build? Keep it here would be "dirtying" the thread USB Power Management problems & all but I really like the present company ;-)

Cheers!

Guys, why so quiet?

I got news to share. First, when all else fails throw money at it! But seriously - Check out my sig - on with a new build. Burned a BIG hole in my pocket but the P55 needed to retire. The board was SATA2 USB 2 among other painful shortcomings. Now I intend to lead with a GT740 (Kepler) on the Z97 and onboard HD530 on the Z170. Just testing the waters with special note on the Boot-loader logo animation.

Do you think I should go with a new thread on the GA-Z170M-D3H build? Keep it here would be "dirtying" the thread USB Power Management problems & all but I really like the present company ;-)

Cheers!

We need to be on topic. Otherwise the mods will start moving posts.

I don't mind talking compatibility here, as long as it's about the issue the thread is targeted at (meaning no iGPU discussions). Fixing the iGPU seems to me even more complicated than the dedicated one, and it's also more complicated if you're not connected via DP. Unless that HD530 is fully compatible somehow. I didn't check its compatibility yet.

So, as long as we're talking about the dedicated GPUs, I'm fine with it.

Also, when everything else fails, if you throw money at it, you might throw money out the window if you don't know what to buy. :) Generally speaking.

Tips for the iGPU:

1. connect via DP

2. compatible iGPU

For the first one, I think things can be be adjusted with some framebuffer edits (tricking OS X into thinking you're connected via DP, when in fact, you're not).

For the second one, Device ID injection might be the fix.

Hi there. Nice to know you're around, arsradu.

The GTX950 I have is still a no go as far as second-stage logo is concerned. Performance otherwise is good. But considering the galactic battle I had with the GTX950 the HD530 on the Z170 was a walk in the park. It worked OOB QE CI and all. The icing on the cake is that the second stage boot loader logo animation works the way it should. So that my friend is money definitely not out of the window. Besides this is just 2-3 days not even baby-steps. and it is still quite ahead compared to the other 2 Nvidia cards I have. Gives me an opportunity to see off the 950 and help set off some of the burden of the new system.

Meantime I would invite you all my good friends to join me to see and share here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311934-gigabyte-z170m-d3h-6700k-build-pm/?p=2234093

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi there. Nice to know you're around, arsradu.

The GTX950 I have is still a no go as far as second-stage logo is concerned. Performance otherwise is good. But considering the galactic battle I had with the GTX950 the HD530 on the Z170 was a walk in the park. It worked OOB QE CI and all. The icing on the cake is that the second stage boot loader logo animation works the way it should. So that my friend is money definitely not out of the window. Besides this is just 2-3 days not even baby-steps. and it is still quite ahead compared to the other 2 Nvidia cards I have. Gives me an opportunity to see off the 950 and help set off some of the burden of the new system.

Meantime I would invite you all my good friends to join me to see and share here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311934-gigabyte-z170m-d3h-6700k-build-pm/?p=2234093

Cheers!

Waw. That's great! Actually I'm thinking of buying a laptop sometime later this year, as well. Or maybe a MacBook...even though those are really, really expensive. So I might open up a thread for that too (in case I go with the regular laptop).

In the meantime, I would like to take a look at yours.

And if you have questions related the dedicated GPU, don't hesitate to ask them here.

Good job man.

Hey ardradu!

Question on one dedicated GPU coming up - we aim to please ;-)

Does the AppleGaphicsDevicePolicy.kext absolutely need to be edited in order to avoid the black screen with NVDIA cards when on the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS ?

I tried what piker suggested, replacing the board-id with board-ix from the clover plist but my GT740 reaches a black desktop and I can see the mouse cursor and it even enlarges when wiggled (please stop smirking) yeah I know... but I can shut down & restart the system using kb shortcuts.

Ever tangled with anything similar? It occurred to me that since GT740 uses drivers that are in ElCapitan already it might have a smooth first to second transition and work OOB. But I am struggling to get a display. Clover will not let me boot with another smbios except 17,1.

Cheerio!

Hey ardradu!

Question on one dedicated GPU coming up - we aim to please ;-)

Does the AppleGaphicsDevicePolicy.kext absolutely need to be edited in order to avoid the black screen with NVDIA cards when on the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS ?

I tried what piker suggested, replacing the board-id with board-ix from the clover plist but my GT740 reaches a black desktop and I can see the mouse cursor and it even enlarges when wiggled (please stop smirking) yeah I know... but I can shut down & restart the system using kb shortcuts.

Ever tangled with anything similar? It occurred to me that since GT740 uses drivers that are in ElCapitan already it might have a smooth first to second transition and work OOB. But I am struggling to get a display. Clover will not let me boot with another smbios except 17,1.

Cheerio!

I have no idea... Sorry. Never wiggled it that way before. :)

• 3 weeks later...

At least with MacPro 6,1 SMBIOS there is actually another way, by renaming the GPU device to "GFX1", for example like this:

Device (_SB.PCI0.NPE3.GFX1) {
}

But no idea if - and how - this works with your definition. And btw, at least for some there is a way to enable the 2nd stage logo within the same code block by adding something like:

"@2,AAPL,boot-display", 
Buffer (Zero) {}, 

(Replace "@2" with your actual port your monitor is connected) But YMMV!

It didnt work for me. GeForce 770 2GB (Msi). I get 800x600 Clover and no visible second stage loader.
Without any modifications, Clover is in native resolution (1920x1200), but no second stage boot loader.

It didnt work for me. GeForce 770 2GB (Msi). I get 800x600 Clover and no visible second stage loader.

Without any modifications, Clover is in native resolution (1920x1200), but no second stage boot loader.

Could you share your config + ioreg + device-properties.hex files?

Also, please, add the device-properties.xml you modified.

Also, do you see the loading bar for the second stage boot anywhere on the screen? Or is it a blank screen? Cause...this thread is aiming to fix a particular issue (missing loading bar not included). Whether or not could fix others, as well, that remains to be seen. But, as I said in my first post, don't use this thread as a solution to all the missing boot logos. It might or might not work.

Sry for not adding any files for debug, here you go.

My problem is that second stage loading bar is in bottom left corner (seen for short time, SSD). Apple logo in first stage boot is normal (native resolution, loader bar goes to half way), then monitor "blinks" and loader bar goes to bottom left corner.

in config.plist I already delete moficifations

Archive.zip

Sry for not adding any files for debug, here you go.

My problem is that second stage loading bar is in bottom left corner (seen for short time, SSD). Apple logo in first stage boot is normal (native resolution, loader bar goes to half way), then monitor "blinks" and loader bar goes to bottom left corner.

in config.plist I already delete moficifations

Ok, it looks like the issue is the one we're attempting to fix here.

Alright, I'll take a look at what you sent me and come back with news shortly (most likely tonight).

Update: your ioreg is corrupted. Did you use the IOregistryExplorer I attached on the first post?

Could you please, resend? Or take a screenshot of it after you search for "display"? Can't really do much without it.

Could u explain?

Clover Rev 3399

BootDisplay: To fix ugly 2nd stage boot or even black screen before login screen, we add new "BootDisplay" (a shorthand for "@x,AAPL,boot-display") property into config (value range: 0 - [totalports-1]). For years people did this job via D/SSDT / EFI Strings injections (Apple style), but no more. Before, Clover only set this properties to port 0 by default, which may lead problem if your currently active port (connected to display) other than port 0.

VideoPorts: We have now full (NVIDIA, ATI to follow) functionality to parse & set its properties dynamically from amount of display ports by user defined.

Able to inject Intel/Integrated-GPU even its not set to primary in BIOS by using blank FB (find more here).

I believe he means this:

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>BootDisplay</key>
<integer>1</integer>

So, under Graphics, in your config, you add:

<key>BootDisplay</key>
<integer>1</integer>

Where 1 is the number of ports on your graphics card -1 (minus 1), probably because they start with port 0.

So, if I got this right, in this example, we have a video card with 2 ports. 

And we don't need to specify the port on which the user is connected, but rather the number of ports available on the video card, minus one. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last time I tried this method, it didn't work for me. BUT there is a big chance I wasn't doing something right.

So, if someone wants to try it and come back with some feedback, I would love to know and add it on the main page.

Let's say your GPU has 4 ports: two dvi's, HDMI and DP.

Their numbers are 0-3.

Check what port your display is connected to with ioreg, set it as bootdisplay in clover and enable inject nvidia.

Same result as OP with less effort.

You Say that with Last cloverconfig i resoleve the problem of the bar?

I used ioreg I already had on my pc (didnt know there is any difference).

Now I did use one you attached and attached a screenshoot.

Hi,

The new ioreg worked properly.

Also, I checked the files you sent. It looks ok. The editing looks on point. However, you forgot to add the resulting hex code to Clover config and check "Inject". Attached now the config.plist file including the hex code.

For the resolution issue, did you try to set Clover GUI to use the resolution of your monitor? By the way, which resolution do you have on your monitor? Also, are you using any custom DSDT.aml in Clover/ACPI/patched?

config.plist.zip