[HOW TO] Fix second stage boot logo and loading bar for some dedicated desktop video cards

arsradu

391 posts in this topic

Thanks but exact maker and rom of gtx760 must be added to device-properties.xml ???

It's a cosmetic thing (it's unlikely to affect the performance in any way). But yes, it has to be added there.

I added Gigabyte to your card maker and 80.04.EA.00.18 to the ROM (though I've got no way of actually knowing which ROM version do you have). If you want, you need to provide more information about your specific card or use Windows and GPU-Z to get an exact ROM version.

device-properties.xml

Here all spec of my 760:

So u can complete editing of my file.

Edited.

As a suggestion, editing that xml is not that hard. Especially after I already added pretty much everything that was important to add. :) Don't be afraid to experiment with it by yourself. Otherwise you will never learn.

I don't mind helping you get this done. That's why we're a community. To help each other and learn from each other. But I think it's more important that you learn how to do these things on your own, rather than waiting for someone else to do it for you. And learning from your own mistakes is really one of the best ways to learn. Also, it's not rocket science. Believe me. Anyone can do this. Which is also the purpose of this thread. :) To help people learn how to do this on their own.

Now, with this xml done, try to get the rest of the steps done. I'm here to guide you if you need it. But don't be afraid to try. That would be the biggest mistake that you can do.

device-properties.xml

Is it the same if i ve dsdt?

I ve this error:

The result should be the same, yes. But I don't know how to do it via DSDT. Nor is it the purpose of this thread.

Can you please upload your hex file, as well? I'll try to take a look.

Now work. I copy hex code in the proper section of clover config, save , re boot, clover boot appear , choose El Capitan, logo Apple present, bar under it only at Half distance. But no boot , black screen

I had to revert changes with boot flags nv_disable=1 to back up my original config.plist , but i do not know if the not successful depended for one my error or for my dsdt!!!

Now work. I copy hex code in the proper section of clover config, save , re boot, clover boot appear , choose El Capitan, logo Apple present, bar under it only at Half distance. But no boot , black screen

I had to revert changes with boot flags nv_disable=1 to back up my original config.plist , but i do not know if the not successful depended for one my error or for my dsdt!!!

As I said in the first post, I never tried in cooperation with a custom DSDT. I never needed one. It might be the reason why it fails to boot. Try without the DSDT for once. See if it makes a difference. Also, keep a working OS X USB drive close to you in case you need to boot back into the OS.

• 3 weeks later...

I've posted this question on the forum as well but I'm asking ....I tried all that arsradu said but nothing has changed.I've got a correctly centred logo with the progress bar under it.....the only problem is that it dies not complete.It goes halfway after which blank screen comes up followed by the login page. Please help.

I've posted this question on the forum as well but I'm asking ....I tried all that arsradu said but nothing has changed.I've got a correctly centred logo with the progress bar under it.....the only problem is that it dies not complete.It goes halfway after which blank screen comes up followed by the login page. Please help.

Could you please, post a video of the issue?

It looks like you might have another issue here.

Also, please, specify which video card are you using (might help if you could add your hardware information to your signature).

Is it one that has been tested before? Are you using dual-monitors or something? Are you using custom DSDTs?

These could all affect the functionality of the second-stage logo. The tutorial is meant to fix (or at least try to fix) a specific issue: no second stage boot logo, while having the loading bar at the bottom left corner of the screen. For other issues, this may or may not work. Most likely it won't work, cause the issue is somewhere else.

I was again trying to do it by your method .... one thing I noticed that the device-properties.xml that is created does not have all the content as in your xml file. I've attached the xml file created my terminal so that u can check it out...

Yes, you need to add that information in order to match your hardware configuration. The part that I highlighted in my example (from line 5-42) is the part that you need to add and then edit to match your actual number of ports and graphics card details. Also, to match your default port (the video port your monitor is connected to). 

It would be easier to just copy-paste from the xml attached to the first post and then edit yours according to your ioreg information and graphics card details. Make sure you edit everything correctly, otherwise bad things can happen.

Read the tutorial carefully and don't skip any steps. If you have questions, I'll try to answer.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

Anyone with a QHD monitor (2560x1440) around here? I've got myself one and I can't seem to be able to bring back the Apple logo for the second stage boot. Funny, I know, since I wrote the tutorial. But I tried everything I could think of, and nothing worked so far. Not to mention the low resolution in Clover UI, but that would be pretty much off-topic for this thread.

Anyone managed to get everything looking nice with such a display?

• 2 weeks later...

Do you use a SSDT at all for your GPU? Maybe I can help.

Just post an ioReg, and I will take a look.

Hi Frankiee.

No, I don't use any custom DSDT/SSDT for my GPU. Do I need one? For as far as I know, the GTX 650 should be officially supported. 

Ioreg I can't provide right now since I'm not at my computer yet, but if you want to check out the ports layout, you have a screenshot on the first page.

If it's not enough, let me know and we'll continue this conversation via PM.

Thank you very much.

arsradu

I have the same problem in my desktop in signature, I followed the guide but it doesn't work.

Only with clover injection in config.plist, as described here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308449-how-to-fix-second-stage-boot-logo-and-loading-bar-for-some-dedicated-desktop-video-cards/?do=findComment&comment=2173692

the loading bar is correctly in the centre of screen, but there is no apple. Any suggestions? Thank you.

arsradu

I have the same problem in my desktop in signature, I followed the guide but it doesn't work.

Only with clover injection in config.plist, as described here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308449-how-to-fix-second-stage-boot-logo-and-loading-bar-for-some-dedicated-desktop-video-cards/?do=findComment&comment=2173692

the loading bar is correctly in the centre of screen, but there is no apple. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Same here, Marco...Same here.

For now, I don't really know what's wrong with it. So I don't know how to help you.

Right now, I'm trying to make my computer boot correctly with this monitor and the dedicated external graphics card. Now it seems it boots perfectly (I honestly didn't see that coming) with the iGPU (HD 4600). I even don't have that gap between loading the first boot and the second boot. It's all one continuous motion. BUT, the downside right now, is that I don't have acceleration. :( Still working on that.

So, when I'll find a solution to this, you can be sure I'll post it here. Right now, we're both struggling with the same thing.

Hi Frankiee.

No, I don't use any custom DSDT/SSDT for my GPU. Do I need one? For as far as I know, the GTX 650 should be officially supported. 

Ioreg I can't provide right now since I'm not at my computer yet, but if you want to check out the ports layout, you have a screenshot on the first page.

If it's not enough, let me know and we'll continue this conversation via PM.

Thank you very much.

You dont need one as your system seems to run fine without. But you may need this alternate fix for the boot logo? You also may need it for enabling HDMI audio. For making such a DSDT, I need ioReg, port layout is not enough. The path to the device is needed as well.

• Like 1

You dont need one as your system seems to run fine without. But you may need this alternate fix for the boot logo? You also may need it for enabling HDMI audio. For making such a DSDT, I need ioReg, port layout is not enough. The path to the device is needed as well.

Ok, let's continue this in private. I'll PM you. If we find a solution that can be somehow applied to a Clover kind of fix, so that it matches this thread's topic, I'll update it accordingly so that people with higher res monitors can also take advantage of it. But I have to warn you: I'm pretty much a DSDT noob.  I'm not afraid to learn. And I'm welcoming it. But please, be aware, and also, please be patient. :)

And again, thank you.