[HOW TO] Fix second stage boot logo and loading bar for some dedicated desktop video cards

arsradu

391 posts in this topic

Guys, thanks for putting up the "fight" as I too have a Dell U2515H running at 2560 X 1440 that displays blank screen in the second stage of clover booting to a desktop on 10.11.4 & I have been closely following this"struggle" here. On the EVGA GTX950 I have to use the NVIDIA drivers & everything works okay. In order to avoid the Huge Apple logo in the first stage boot loading I had to install CSMVideoDXE in clover drivers & specify the 2560X1440 in clover gui config.plist. I do not use a DSDT as everything works okay. Hope you brave warriors come out victorious.

Guys, thanks for putting up the "fight" as I too have a Dell U2515H running at 2560 X 1440 that displays blank screen in the second stage of clover booting to a desktop on 10.11.4 & I have been closely following this"struggle" here. On the EVGA GTX950 I have to use the NVIDIA drivers & everything works okay. In order to avoid the Huge Apple logo in the first stage boot loading I had to install CSMVideoDXE in clover drivers & specify the 2560X1440 in clover gui config.plist. I do not use a DSDT as everything works okay. Hope you brave warriors come out victorious.

Well, for first stage boot resolution, I already set 2560x1440 in Clover config and also I tried with and without CSMVideoDxe. It does make it better...somewhat. But it's still not native resolution.

And that card...I've been planning on buying the SC (Superclocked) variant. The one with 3 DP. Not sure you have the same one. Problem is indeed the compatibility with OS X. I think I'll go with a second hand GTX 660 instead. I don't see other options, especially since I don't know when or IF Apple is gonna provide us with support for the 9xx series GPUs or any Maxwell GPUs for that matter.

Right now, I returned 2 Dells U2515H and a P2416D, due to either backlight bleeding, or stuck subpixel. I'm tired... Honestly. I just want a good monitor. I wish someone with more experience could recommend me one (or two, or three), or at least give me a solution to this issue, in private, to avoid going off-topic and turning this thread into a shopping cart.

By the way, are you using DP? If so, did you try switching OFF CSM (CSM set to disabled in BIOS) and turning off "Patch VBios" and "Inject EDID"?

Is your video card using a UEFI BIOS, as well?

Cause that might make a difference.

After udating to 10.11.4 the loading bar is returned in the left-down corner!

:hysterical:

That is odd... Did you change anything in your config or device properties xml? Or switched to a different port on your graphics card?

@arsradu The display card EVGA GTX 950 was among the few with display ports. Most importantly it was UEFI GOP supported since I wanted ultrafast boot to make it appear like a real mac. Power on straight to the Apple logo on to the desktop, no crazy text or blinking cursor in between. The U2515H is one temperamental display. It supports HDMI 1.4 partly which is why highest resolution will work only on DP or mDP. Boy was it a nightmare to get it to work. They all seem to have made friends now finally on the original mDP to DP cable that came with the monitor.

The reason I went in for it from my older HP LP2065 was because I got an irresistible offer from Dell. But I prefer HP any day, trust them with eyes closed. You can try looking through HP. If I wanted to splurge I would get the Apple display or Eizo or NEC.

The BIOS settings you suggest do not make a difference. The on board Intel graphics might work as I have read elsewhere, but I would need to use SwitchResX and patch osx to provide a 60 Hz refresh and use HDMI. Those parameters might not be at home with the 2515h.

Meantime I fondly hope our forum heroes devise a clever strategy & win this battle.

@arsradu The display card EVGA GTX 950 was among the few with display ports. Most importantly it was UEFI GOP supported since I wanted ultrafast boot to make it appear like a real mac. Power on straight to the Apple logo on to the desktop, no crazy text or blinking cursor in between. The U2515H is one temperamental display. It supports HDMI 1.4 partly which is why highest resolution will work only on DP or mDP. Boy was it a nightmare to get it to work. They all seem to have made friends now finally on the original mDP to DP cable that came with the monitor.

The reason I went in for it from my older HP LP2065 was because I got an irresistible offer from Dell. But I prefer HP any day, trust them with eyes closed. You can try looking through HP. If I wanted to splurge I would get the Apple display or Eizo or NEC.

The BIOS settings you suggest do not make a difference. The on board Intel graphics might work as I have read elsewhere, but I would need to use SwitchResX and patch osx to provide a 60 Hz refresh and use HDMI. Those parameters might not be at home with the 2515h.

Meantime I fondly hope our forum heroes devise a clever strategy & win this battle.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I was curious if you still get that error saying to set your resolution to 2560x1440 when connected via DP. I know you get it if CSM disabled and connected via HDMI. So that's why I'm asking.

If you can boot properly with no errors, when connected via DP, it means there's still hope for humanity.

Aside from settings CSM to disabled, you will need to also make sure you set the correct port (DP in your case) in your device-properties xml and import the resulting hex, as described in this thread. Also, Clover UI should probably be set to 2560x1440, as well.

I was connected via the on-board HDMI. So I can tell you that you will get native resolution in preboot, you will still not get the second-stage boot logo, you will need to patch your iGPU to get acceleration, use FB edits to trick OS X into thinking you're connected via DP when in fact you're not, and after all that frustration is gone, you will be stuck with a lower resolution inside OS X (2048x1152). I'll let you decide if it's worth the hassle.

By the way, can you please, tell me if the video card needs to have MiniDP or will it work with regular size DP? I just noticed the cable they include with the U2515H is MiniDP -> DP. Not the other way around. Does it work if you plug it in the other way? Meaning DP into the video card and MiniDP in the monitor? 

@ arsradu

That is odd... Did you change anything in your config or device properties xml? Or switched to a different port on your graphics card?

No, I simply updated via combo-update. My HDMI cable made some contact (the video often became black) so I changed with a DVI to HDMI (an old one I had) , using the DVI port in my nvidia GT 220... That could be the reason?

@ frankiee

I use a patched DSDT with HDMI injections, but no SSDT. You think you could help me if I post my ioreg (and DSDT and config.plist if needed)?

Thank you in advance.

@ arsradu

No, I simply updated via combo-update. My HDMI cable made some contact (the video often became black) so I changed with a DVI to HDMI (an old one I had) , using the DVI port in my nvidia GT 220... That could be the reason?

Yes, you're not connected via HDMI anymore. Update your device-properties xml and resulting hex to match that port. I think (didn't get the chance to properly test this theory, so do NOT just take my word for it), but I think you might be able to add boot-display properties for all your ports, so that you don't need to update your hex every time you switch to a different port.

Again. Keep in mind that this is still very much just a theory at this stage. Worst case scenario, you won't be able to boot on that port. To fix that, keep a bootable USB drive close by so you can get back into the system and revert the changes if necessary.

I have a feeling it could work, but please, at least take the necessary precautions if you're attempting to try this. And let us know the result, if you do. :)

Recalling the scuttle betwixt the myriad of connectors driving me insane the one thing I had to juggle with was the MST version 1.1 versus 1.2. Initially i got a DP to DP cable which Dell does not bundle, and it worked with a GT740 I used for a few days. This required MST 1.1 Then I upgraded to GTX750 & this did not work with MST 1.1 so i switched to MST 1.2. This card did not have UEFI GOP so that card was retired in favour of GTX950 which needed the bundled mDP to DP cable with mDP on the monitor & DP on the display card end. With the DP to DP and MST 1.2 the monitor kept blanking out. Finally the mDP to DP Dell bundled worked stable to date.

Then to be honest the first few pages of this thread sends shivers down my spine. Primarily because this machine is in a production environment and affords very little popped-hood time. Moreover a galactic battle with the USB trolls sent by the geniuses at Cupertino CA has me drained. Amazing isn't it - if it ain't broke - break it; seems to be the new mantra they're chanting since Steve's departure. Seriously! What's new with USB 3.0.

Sorry guys! I had to let this out.

Okay! I'll see if I can roll up my sleeves & get in here again.

Hey guys,

So, long story short, I've got myself a Philips Brilliance 258B6QJEB. And I'm not sorry. To be honest, I didn't expect a Philips monitor to be this good. Also, I'm connected via DVI-D right now (you'll understand why in a second).

Now, a few words about the Dell compatibility issues (at least in my case): it's the HDMI cable. Yes, the freaking cable. So, suggestion: don't buy the cheapest one, even if it looks like a good buy. You'll save yourself from a lot of frustration in the future. No one will guarantee you that a more expensive one would do the job. But I can assure you it can make A LOT of difference. So make sure the cable is either the one included with the monitor (those tend to be good) or, if you can't connect the monitor with the included cable, make sure you buy a good one!

Now, back on the topic of this thread. I managed to make my new monitor work, first and second stage boot, displayed at native resolution. Yay! :D If you wanna take a look, you can see a short video here.

You will need:

1. CSM disabled in BIOS!

2. NEW device-properties hex extracted either using DarwinDumper, or command line. Your choice. But, especially if you made some hardware changes, you NEED a new device-properties hex file. Believe me. It does make a difference.

3. Create an xml based on it and edit it according to the first post of this thread. Make sure the port you add as "boot-display" is the correct one according to your ioreg (see first post for more details).

4. Import the changes back into the hex file and read it.

5. Add the resulting hex code into Devices section of Clover and check the Inject checkbox.

6. UNCHECK PatchVBios and InjectEDID in Graphics section of Clover

7. Leave the Screen Resolution setting in Clover -> GUI empty.

8. If you have CsmVideDxe, you can remove it.

I'm thinking of a way to get this done for people with no UEFI GOP VBIOS, or with other compatibility issues, like I had with my Dell monitors.

So far, this method brought back both the loading bar on the center, and the Apple logo on the second stage boot. All in native 2K. :)

• Like 1

My tv came out with a VGA cable! :lol: No HDMI!

(Samsung 22' full HD I use as a pc monitor)

Does it have DVI or something other than VGA? And, just to be sure, when you say Full HD, you mean resolution 1920x1080, right?

Yes, the TV resolution is 1920x1080 and the same is set in OSX. Tv has VGA, HDMI and analogic audio/video. The funny thing is that connecting in VGA, even if El Cap should not allow it, I have perfect resolution in boot fase and using OSX - but no audio, of course, so I need HDMI. :)

At the end, these are cosmetics improvement, the important is the full graphics, but if it will correct the compatibility will increase.

I will try (when I 'll have time, for now very busy) your last suggestions. Thanks.

Congratulations dearest friend on your victory. Calls for a celebration. Shall we pop the bubbly and...

Nay! My valiant soldier thou shalt not banish thine friends to the dark regions of thine first post. Yet thine victory proves thee to be the fearless leader and as loyal comrades we shall heed thine gesture and hark thine direction.

Well please be not bugged as I am going to need a lot of help.

Phillips is understated but not to be underestimated. Apple monitors carried LG Philips panels (IPS) . BTW how have you connected the monitor?

• Like 1

Congratulations dearest friend on your victory. Calls for a celebration. Shall we pop the bubbly and...

Nay! My valiant soldier thou shalt not banish thine friends to the dark regions of thine first post. Yet thine victory proves thee to be the fearless leader and as loyal comrades we shall heed thine gesture and hark thine direction.

Well please be not bugged as I am going to need a lot of help.

Phillips is understated but not to be underestimated. Apple monitors carried LG Philips panels (IPS) . BTW how have you connected the monitor?

LOL 

Thank you very much! :)

The monitor is connected via DVI-I (with the default cable).

I encountered fuzzy images when CSM disabled and connected via HDMI (with that cable). It was ok with CSM enabled. But that was not my goal. So I switched to DVI, edited the xml to match it, and...after a bit of fiddling with Clover config, voilà! Perfect boot. :)

I'm having problems whit the device-properties.xml.

Please somebody could see if right?

Here are my ioreg, modded and original device-properties.xml.

Thank you.

Hi Marco, 

Something is weird...

You sure the original xml is actually the original one? It seems to already have boot-display set up as you can see here:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key><dict>
<key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<string>0x00000001</string>

And also here:

<key>@1,AAPL,boot-display</key>
<data>
MDAwMDAwMDEA
</data>

According to your ioreg, you should be connected via B@1. But I'm not sure adding boot-display property as data is ok (or, if it was already added, that's even weirder since I've never seen it added like that).

Could you please extract device-properties.hex (untouched) and post it here?

Okay I picked up the gauntlet and as precarious as it seemed I did manage to eke a hex out of the fiend. But I have just the first stage logo & progress bar and a black screen for the second stage,as usual. Then on to a working desktop. It was as if nothing changed. Not even a wink or stutter.

I am on 10.11.4 & the NVidia web drivers. When I boot with nv_diasble=1 I get a second stage progress bar only no logo. But this happens also without any of the voodoo of the first post. But how will I work without Nvidia drivers?

I am attaching (a bother for my brother) the original unedited dev prop xml. Please cast a glance and comment on its race/religion/colour/species etc.

Cheers!

device-properties.xml

Although I have almost the same situation as you (connected via B@1, GPU similar) my device-properties.xml is very different from your. That was the original. Here is the original device-properties.hex

Thank you!

Marco, that hex appears empty/corrupted. How did you extract it? Command line or Darwin Dumper? I can't do anything without that file.

Okay I picked up the gauntlet and as precarious as it seemed I did manage to eke a hex out of the fiend. But I have just the first stage logo & progress bar and a black screen for the second stage,as usual. Then on to a working desktop. It was as if nothing changed. Not even a wink or stutter.

I am on 10.11.4 & the NVidia web drivers. When I boot with nv_diasble=1 I get a second stage progress bar only no logo. But this happens also without any of the voodoo of the first post. But how will I work without Nvidia drivers?

I am attaching (a bother for my brother) the original unedited dev prop xml. Please cast a glance and comment on its race/religion/colour/species etc.

Cheers!

Well, it looks ok on a first glance. But the file needs editing. :) Otherwise, there is no change that can be expected.

Usually you don't see anything on the second stage boot when either: the hex code you enter into Clover is wrong (but not wrong enough to make your computer unbootable), you forgot to import the changes you made on the xml back into the hex, so you're basically reading the original hex file instead of the modded one, you forgot to check the box for Inject or you didn't implement the device-properties patch correctly. Otherwise, you should (at least in theory) see some sort of change.

Booting with nv_disable=1 means you'll have no acceleration. Don't bother.

Also, to answer your question, your GTX 950 won't work without Nvidia drivers. So leave the driver as it is, for now. Let's focus on getting that xml properly edited and imported back into the hex.

I think you can do it. But if you get stuck or you need to double check something, I'm here to help. I will, however, need at least the port you're connected to (from your ioreg). 

The unedited XML I attached in the earlier post is for my second machine P55-GT740. Let's forget it for now.

I got to extracting the unedited xml for the Z97-GTX950 following your first post.

Attaching here as unedited-device-properties.xml. Then copied few lines from the example of edited xml you provided in the first post & obtained the file attached here as edited-device-properties.xml.

IOReg capture is also attached & you will see total of 5 ports

Using common sense I got far enough with a working hex that gave me 2560X1440 resolution at boot (First stage) without CSMVideoDXE. But I have to enter the res in clover GUI portion of configurator or else I get a huge apple logo.

But I still do not have the second stage logo or bar. The hex file is okay because I bungled up once and had two Es instead of an E and F & the desktop went black.

To be quite sure that it is working I added the word EVGA to the name of the card & it did show up in the system profiler.

In the BIOS I use "other OS" setting which hides the CSM Part. Selecting Windows 8 brings it up with options "always" and "never". Tried both. With CSM, I got the watermelon size logo and with CSM Disabled or Other OS I got the HiRes 2560X1440 Logo. But the Holy-Grail still eludes.

So my Gladiator - Strategies?

EDIT:

The BIOS Setting is Windows 8 WHQL and settings 2560X1440 removed from clover GUI portion. Now I get the full res on the first stage of boot. Still the second stage logo & loader graphics missing.

edited-device-properties.xml

unedited-device-properties.xml

post-144165-0-04862000-1459410401_thumb.jpg

Additional Observations:

Normally I think the second stage should display as softly transitioning onto the desktop. Instead I get an abrupt change. What caught my eye was a very brief glimpse of the logo and bar just before the desktop after the black screen following the First stage logo & bar. Seems like progress to me.

The active port part of IOReg is attached, should it yield some clues.

Anything to dabble with in EDID portion?

PS @arsradu unable to PM you. Please resolve.

post-144165-0-78971300-1459413895_thumb.jpg

arsradu

Marco, that hex appears empty/corrupted. How did you extract it? Command line or Darwin Dumper? I can't do anything without that file.

I extracted it from command line. But, (I'm very sorry), I forgot to remove the clover- injection in config.plist! Maybe it's for this reason it doesn't work, cause it extract a ioreg non real. I'll retry with a clean situation.

Mirone

So, with DSDT injection I could resolve the problem to have correctly the loading bar with apple in centre of screen? How?

Maybe you have forgotten, but you made me DSDT injection for HDMI audio 3 years ago :D  (I had Mavericks).

Could you help me (again :blush: )?

Here my DSDT

Thank you

Fisso.10.11DSDT.aml.zip