HP Z400/Z600/Z800 Workstations OS X 10.10.x/10.11.x Installation

chatdeau

1,131 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm trying to update my guide for z820 to Sierra and again, I'm blocked in audio patching. I've read a lot about new way with applealc,+ lilu + commander , etc. and trying to adapt it to ALC262 for HP rigs. I've seen a lot of kexts versions, but I´m not sure about versions and what steps I have to follow. Anyway , none of them works for me.

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to patch alc262 for 10.12.6 by applealc method? (and a brief step-by-step to install it)

If not, is there an old applehda patch method ? I have not used none of applehda kexts posted here because I'm never sure if they are the appropiate vesion for Sierra 10.12.6 and I don't want ruin it installing and inappropriate applehda version. I remember some headache about that.

thanks in advance

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the help. 

Audio is still not working. 

That is what I did:

- I installed attached kexts in their respective folders. (I keep my original AppleHDA)

- Add 28 in inject audio section in config.plist. (trying with reset hda option activated and deactivated)

- Add -alcbeta to bootflag in clover (also I tried without)

- Add HDEF device (in my dsdt, into _SB / _PCI0 branch)

After reboot, I can hear some "clicks" on boot, (like when I boot with El Capitan with audio working), and the device is shown in system profiler , but I think it´s something cosmetic. Any device is shown in audio panel control.

Do I have to patch some kext? I have been watching into applealc kext, checking into plist, comparing, etc.

BootLog shows "CodecComander: Stopping due to codec profile Disable flag" Looking into their info.plist , it doesn't have any reference to ALC262 ¿?¿?

• Like 1

well , finally audio works ... I'm exhausted. :thumbsup_anim:

I'm think I'll live 5 years less because of the damn hackintosh  :cry:

My fullest gratitude to you, Rockey. I'm making a new guide for z820 and Sierra. My credits will be for you. 

Only a minor, minor issue. The name of the devices are wrong in to the panel control: "Internal speakers" is line out device, "line out" is internal speaker. If is something that I can fix editing some info.plist, just let me know , and I'll do myself.

Tanks again!!

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the help. 

Audio is still not working. 

That is what I did:

- I installed attached kexts in their respective folders. (I keep my original AppleHDA)

- Add 28 in inject audio section in config.plist. (trying with reset hda option activated and deactivated)

- Add -alcbeta to bootflag in clover (also I tried without)

- Add HDEF device (in my dsdt, into _SB / _PCI0 branch)

After reboot, I can hear some "clicks" on boot, (like when I boot with El Capitan with audio working), and the device is shown in system profiler , but I think it´s something cosmetic. Any device is shown in audio panel control.

Forgive me for coming late to this discussion but for a short while I was successfully using a test version of AppleALC version 1.1.2 with modifications for the HP z400/600/800 ALC262 codec by MacPeet and generously provided by him as Archiv.zip in post #1042 of this thread.

This was on my z400 running High Sierra 10.13.1 so I needed the -alcbeta boot flag.  Initially it was paired with Lilu 1.1.5 and so -lilubeta was required, but later I used Lilu 1.1.7 which didn’t need the beta flag.  Layout ID 28 in dsdt is also necessary.

On reaching the betas of 10.13.2 and 10.13.2 itself then older versions of Lilu would no longer load while the new Lilu 1.2.1 is no longer compatible with AppleALC versions as old as 1.1.2.

At this point I had to revert to a patched AppleHDA.kext like the one Rockey12 has kindly posted above, since MacPeet’s excellent changes to AppleALC for our ALC262 were I think inteded for testing only and so were never incorporated into vit9696’s official AppleALC sources.

Can I first of all thank MacPeet for his work and also suggest that if he approves his code might be submitted to vit9696 for inclusion into the official AppleALC distribution?  That way it should conitnue to work with future High Sierra releases on all our HP z400/600/800 workstations.

• Like 2

That's right, the codec for HP Z800 / Z ... is not in the AppleALC release because no one was willing to give trial version information.

I do not pass on a codec that is not extensively confirmed.
I can re-create a trial version for HighSierra when you're ready for test reports.
  • Like 2

Lol! Sound working with appleALC  :D

Finally, first failure attemp was only a version problem...!

-I reinstalled the original appleHDA, and I'm using:

-AppleALC provided by MacPeet in #1042

...and according with this:

-Lilu 1.1.7 version 

... and according with this:

-NvidiaGraphicsFixup 1.1.3  (to solve graphic issue and macpro6,1 sbios)

(and the mentioned patch in dsdt, audio 28 injection in clover , last codeccomander (version 2017-0501) no flags in clover )

(for Sierra 10.12.6)

For release in AppleALC , maybe the name of the devices that I mentioned should be fixed. It's exactly like with the appleHDA patched. I've tried with pin configurator but I have no idea how start  :D

MacPeet, if you need any info, only ask me. Z800 and z820 have identical audio controller.

• Like 2

I can re-create a trial version for HighSierra when you're ready for test reports.

That would be terrific, thank you very much indeed.  I'd be more than happy to test a new trial version for High Sierra and I'm sure many of us here would appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Try this with LayoutID28:

attachicon.giftrial_layoutID28.zip

Change back to the original AppleHDA for this experiment !!!

Rockey12 had reported it only works with CodecCommander! ???

Thank you very much MacPeet.  With this new trial version sound certainly works well with HS 10.13.2 and its original AppleHDA.kext.

In my earlier post I had forgotten to say that I was using your earlier test version with Codec Commander, and I'm using it still with this latest version.

I do seem to have one issue in that System Profiler is now displaying the audio device names incorrectly.  I don't remember this happening with the earlier test version.

x4hqg8.png

The last entry is my ESI Juli@ sound card.  Perhaps I've done something wrong here as I note bilbo reported the same Internal Speakers / Line out reversal as with the earlier patched AppleHDA.kext

I'd like to encourage more volunteers to help test this useful addition so that it may be properly validated and I hope added to the official AppleALC release.

Thanks again,

Hmm, as I suspected the skeletal device names shown in System Profiler were entirely my fault!

I'd grabbed the latest 10.13.2 AppleHDA.kext from my archive in too much of a hurry and it must have been a partial file from the 10.13.2 delta update and thus incomplete.  Once I checked the size and then replaced it with the full 10.13.2 AppleHDA.kext from another machine all the device names returned to normal.  This was simply my own incompetence and nothing to do with MacPeet's excellent trial AppleALC.

• Like 1

The internal speakers / lineout reversal is intentional.

This is the only way lineout back and HP front work in switch mode (automatic detection and switching when HP is plugged in).

Which devices work with the trial version?

Lineout back (green, as IntSpeaker) yes / no
HP front (black, SwitchMode, if plugged in) yes / no
Internal speaker (as lineout) yes / no

Mic back (pink) yes / no
Mic front (black) yes / no
LineIn back (blue) yes / no

Please report!
  • Like 2

The internal speakers / lineout reversal is intentional.

This is the only way lineout back and HP front work in switch mode (automatic detection and switching when HP is plugged in).

Which devices work with the trial version?

Please report!

Thanks for the clarification on the Internal speakers / lineout reversal.

Lineout back (green, as IntSpeaker) YES
HP front (black, SwitchMode, if plugged in) YES
Internal speaker (as lineout) YES

Mic back (pink) YES - as Upper Internal Microphone in Sound Prefs Input
Mic front (black) YES - as Lower Internal Microphone in Sound Prefs Input
LineIn back (blue) YES

In short everything works exactly as it should, for which many thanks once again.
  • Like 1

report from HPz820

Last kext uploaded by macpeet above. Sierra 10.12.16

Lineout back (green, as IntSpeaker) YES

HP front (black, SwitchMode, if plugged in) YES
Internal speaker (as lineout) YES 

Mic back (pink) YES 
Mic front (black) YES 
LineIn back (blue) not tested, because I don't have at anything to do it. I'll think what can I do to test it.

Screen_Shot_2017-12-30_at_12.27.59_PM.pn
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people, firsttime poster here. i'm still very a neewbie when it comes to hackintosh  :) but thanks to this very informative thread I've managed to run my Z600 on High Sierra 10.13.2(apfs) with native sound and a working GTX 1050 Ti :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:

So I would like to say thnx to everybody

• Like 2

I need help. I am still running on 10.12.6

HP Z800 with a quadro 4000 and dual xeons.

I installed the latest web drivers as an update and the install broke my OS

Here is a 40 second clip of me trying to boot verbose.

Can anyone see how to fix my issue?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19PzM7DY4VVwEDrr2uoWKutPO1Tmlq67H/view?usp=sharing

I am keeping a running quick guide going here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/6z2mc2/setting_up_the_hp_z800_workstation_a_work_in/

Let me know what works and what doesn't for you all!

audio codec is added in source code AppleALC

Available in the next release.

What all kexts will be needed and where can they be acquired? Also, what layout ID?

I am keeping a running quick guide going here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/6z2mc2/setting_up_the_hp_z800_workstation_a_work_in/

Let me know what works and what doesn't for you all!

What all kexts will be needed and where can they be acquired? Also, what layout ID?

In my case I also had to patch my DSDT by adding HDEF to get audio working.

• Like 1

For Z800 user my dsdt u can use as reference i have attached my dsdt +Config.plist + kexts for clover

For working Audio i have Attached all the related files u have to put into System Library Extension

if u are really interested in native power management u have to read carefully this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/196771-ga-ex58-and-ga-x58a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

I am going to try this in the next day or two. Where does that dsdt file go?

Also, since I have a Quadro 4000 for a graphics card, my graphics info changes. I also have a different RAM setup as you I see.

Hey Rockey and everyone:

I am trying to reinstall HS and I got past all of the install points and Now I am to the desktop. Which of the posts has the dsdt.aml, the kexts, and the config.plist you all use? 

Did you all have any issues upgrading to 10.13.3 ? 

Any tips or hints or anything?

Do you all use web drivers for your cards or what?

Just wondering. 

• Like 1

Still on the same kexts as for Sierra, but since my ssd is apfs formatted I've added apfs.efi in EFI/Clover/drivers64 folder. It's pretty much the same as Sierra, but I'm still on 10.13.2, and yeah for my GTX card I use webdrivers

I have a Z800 motherboard (BIOS 3.60) with a single Xeon X5690 and 48 GB RAM (another X5690 + 48 GB RAM will be installed as soon as I get the mounting kit.

I crammed it into a Fractal Design Define XL 2 case.
ACPI seems like a mess?

I would GREATLY appreciate some help in fixing this, I have very little knowledge as my last hack was basically install-and-go.

PCIe2 slot0: x4, Samsung 950 PRO nvme boot drive. (EFI/Clover is on a USB stick since the Z800 won't load the ahci option rom from the nvme drive) -working fine.

PCIe2 slot1: x16, ASUS ROG STRIX RX 580 TOP https://www.asus.com...AMING/overview/ -booting to black screen, bios and verbose boot is OK.
PCIe1 slot2: x4, empty
PCIe2 slot3: x8, empty
PCIe2 slot4: x16, Intel 520 DA1 10Gb card (I need to change Subsystem ID for drivers to load) -seems to be working, showing as Ethernet controller at HDMI-port (??)
PCI32 slot5: empty
PCIe2 slot6: x8, USB 3 card based on FL1100 -working fine

post-179272-0-95703400-1517481464_thumb.png